• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Console of 5th generation

• Nintendo 64

Votes: 229 33.4%
  • Sega Saturn

Votes: 44 6.4%
  • Playstation

Votes: 412 60.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 21996

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I owned Saturn>N64>Playstation in that order and loved them all for different reasons. Cold, hard, objectivity though: Playstation. Most well-rounded library by far.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
Objectively it's PS1.

But I'd have no interest in playing a PS1 now. Or N64 for that matter.

Saturn on the other hand, I'd love nothing more than to get my hands on one and play through that interesting and obscure library, especially the 2D games.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Based on the top 5 games, I could see a good argument for N64. Based on the entirety of the library, I think it's the PS1 pretty resoundingly. Final Fantasy 7-9 (and most great JRPG's of the generation), Metal Gear Solid, Spyro, Crash, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain, Gran Turismo, Symphony of the Night, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 1/2, Klonoa and Tomba. It's just...incredible. Oh and Final Fantasy Tactics. I mean come on.

Deleted member 46429

Self-requested ban
Banned
Aug 4, 2018
Nintendo 64. Admittedly, this is partially because it was the only console I had at the time (PS2 was my first Sony console), and my sample pool of PS1 games is small, but include Crash games (via remaster), Xenogears, FF games, Metal Gear Solid, RE1 (via DS release), Tales of Eternia and Phantasia (via PS1 release) and uhh... that might be it? But I find that with the PS1 games I played, their archaisms (especially concerning 3D game design) have a stronger tendancy to get to me--I can scarcely remember the last time I had platforming as clunky as Xenogear's Babel Tower, for example. But I can pick up something like Ocarina of TIme and still play it comfortably enough, so that's something.

Basically, since I grew up with the N64 and I feel its library has aged better, it's my favorite.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
N64 - Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, GoldenEye, Zelda, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium...so many classics.

I didn't get a PS1 until much later but I loved it too. MGS is in my top 10 all time.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation had ISS Pro Evolution Soccer. That alone makes it the winner for me.

The PS1 library is ridiculous. So many amazing franchises originated on that machine. I had a N64 and a Saturn too, and both had some awesome games, but nowhere near the variety that the PS1 had.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
This is probably the (post-2600) console generation I have the least amount of familiarity with at this point, but of what I have played and what I do have experience with it's the PS1. The depth of its library just far exceeds that of its competitors. In terms of deep cuts the N64 is definitely Nintendo's second worst console IMO (next to the Wii U), and the PS1 has JRPGs for days.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
That's a tough one. I had N64 first and played a lot of games on it. Back then i enjoyed it more than PS1 but today if I have to choose one I'll take ps1. That's because I have played the N64 games I like to death and have yet to play a lot of good ps1 games.

Screw it!
N64. I can play those games till the end of time and never get bored:
Starfox 64
Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Pilotwings 64
Ocarina of Time
Killer Instinct Gold
Golden Eye
Perfect Dark
Diddy kong racing
Body Harvest
Blast Corps
Turok 1 & 2
Ogre battle 64
Mischief Makers
Fighter's Destiny 1 & 2
Mario tennis 64
NBA Courtside
Mk Trilogy
Off Road Challenge
Pokemon Puzzle League
1080 snowboarding
Star wars Rogue Squadron
F-Zero X
Paper Mario 64

Damn the N64 had killer exclusives

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Saturn for me. My library is on the shelf above my monitors. Saturn Bomberman, Panzer Dragoon 1/2/Saga, NiGHTS, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Force 3, Dragon Force, Decathlete/Winter Heat, Die Hard Arcade, a fuck ton of fighting games, Radiant Silvergun, just a bunch of quality unique titles - it's a great mix of single and multiplayer games. N64 comes close but I believe it aged much worse. The Playstation obviously has a much wider library with a lot of quality, but the multiplayer options can't hold a candle to either N64 or Saturn - though I'll push Bushido Blade on people until the day I die.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
Overall Playstation's extensive library was probably better, but the highs on N64 were so high. Most of my indelible memories from that time would be with those N64 games like Mario and OoT, split screen multiplayer Goldeneye and Perfect Dark, first time having rumble and those controls on Wave Race... and I really miss N64 Rare.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
OoT and MM are some of my favorite games (especially OoT, which is in my top 10 ever) but overall I have to give it to the PS1, even as somebody who's more of a Nintendo person. The entire Crash trilogy (1/2 are also in my top 10) are the standouts to me, but Pac Man World is also solid/fun. On the N64, OoT and MM are basically the only playable games to me, though I haven't tried Smash Bros and Mario Kart 64 they definitely seem like weaker entries in their series.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had and loved all three during that gen. PS > SS > N64 for me. This is a PS vs SS contest. The N64 has some amazing games in a few genres but it doesn't have the variety or quantity of good games the others do. 2d is a massive weakness for the N64 and many of the best games of that gen are 2d or semi-2d. I wish people wouldn't vote without thoroughly knowing all three systems but that never happens. Go play some Saturn games!

Last edited:

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
The N64 has some of the best in class games, but the breadth of the Playstation was ridiculous, so I'd give it the nod by a hair.

Teepo671

Nov 1, 2017
Guam
Playstation. Far more games I loved on that compared to the N64 and Saturn. RPGS and Fighting games were my favorite genre and the PSX had those in spades. I did pick up a few of the vs. series fighters for the Saturn though since the PSX couldn't do a lot of those 2d fighters justice.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
N64. My favorite single-player and multi-player experiences ever are on that console.

Pyke Presco

Dec 3, 2017
The results of this poll, though entirely expected, make me so sad and explain why none of my favorite games ever got the remake/rerelease treatment.

Working Designs on the Saturn were goddamn wizards, and they brought over so many great and amazing games. admittedly, Goldeneye on the 64 probably had more playtime than every other game of that generation combined for me. Saturn was sadly under appreciated and didn't make enough of a splash for people to appreciate it. Damn shame.

Oct 27, 2017
Ooh fav has to be 64. Soo many memories with it. The best? Ps1 on sheer content alone.

tho it can be more higher than 3rd, I've come to appreciate the Saturn's library and always wish sega has supported it at least until 1999 with some games. Imagine Sonic Adventure in 97 on Saturn, would've moved some units, then have Adventure 2 in 99-00 on DC, would've been wild.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Disliked this era of consoles thoroughly, but my, was it ever a fantastic time to play on PC.
Oh yeah, this is true. Think Quake came out about the time that the n64 did. Or something like that.

N64 for me out of the console choices though. There's so much I love about the games (Rogue Squadron, Majora's Mask, Banjo Kazooie, etc) and while there are some PS1 games that I really like, nothing like how much I adore those n64 games.

Wish I had a Saturn back then though. I got one like... 5 years ago (?) and love messing around with the games I have for it (Panzer Dragoon 1 + 2, Outrun, Space Harrier, few other odds and ends). Really I just wish I played Panzer Dragon Sage so I could KNOW!

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Playstation to me something special. I was always a Ninty fanatic but man Sony knocked it out of the park. FFVII, Crash, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Transimo, Sypro The Dragon and etc. Although N64 has stellar masterpieces but PSX showed me that games can be more than just running through levels and beating your time attack records. That is why it is my favorite. Stories to me, started to matter more.

Oct 27, 2017
PS1, no contest. N64 was meh with a shit controller and pretty much no games i cared about, and no one I knew cared about the Saturn at the time.

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had both a N64 and PS1 and I put far more playtime in my N64 with Mario Party, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon Stadium, Goldeneye and a smattering of others that I rented from Blockbuster.

PS1 didnt actually get used much unfortunately, It was mostly my FF machine

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I had both a N64 and PS1 and I put far more playtime in my N64 with Mario Party, Zelda, Mario Kart, Pokemon Stadium, Goldeneye and a smattering of others that I rented from Blockbuster.

PS1 didnt actually get used much unfortunately, It was mostly my FF machine

Really? Your PSX was your system for 5 games?

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really? Your PSX was your system for 5 games?
I remember it being bought used for me really late into the generation.

TL;DR I actually came to America as a refugee in 1998. I had a NES and Megadrive as a kid. N64 was bought for me because of Mario and I came across Ocarina of Time by accident because my friend wanted to borrow a controller in exchange for a game.. so I picked Zelda because the cover had a sword and shield on it and I was -really- into swords XD.

Same reason I picked FF7 off the shelf that day.. I saw cloud with a giant Buster Sword and I had to have it XD

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I remember it being bought used for me really late into the generation.

TL;DR I actually came to America as a refugee in 1998. I had a NES and Megadrive as a kid. N64 was bought for me because of Mario and I came across Ocarina of Time by accident because my friend wanted to borrow a controller in exchange for a game.. so I picked Zelda because the cover had a sword and shield on it and I was -really- into swords XD.

Same reason I picked FF7 off the shelf that day.. I saw cloud with a giant Buster Sword and I had to have it XD

I got the N64 first too and it was very mindblowing to me as well. I actually got the PSX like 18 months before the PS2. At the time I would say those consoles are tied but they are my favorite consoles ever. So I see your point.

The nintendo 64. It revolutionized the gaming industry.

And Playstation didn't?

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
I had all 3, and each had its highs, but to me N64 will always have a special place in my heart. I was at my early teens, played a lot with my brother, cousins and neighbours – never had since the same availability of players for local multiplayer. Good times...

My top games in each of them (from least favorite to favorite console):

Saturn
  1. Tomb Raider
  2. Athlete Kings
  3. Street Fighter Alpha
  4. Sonic R
Playstation
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Gran Turismo
  4. Tekken 3
N64
  1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Mario 64
  3. Mario Kart 64
  4. Wave Race
  5. Goldeneye
  6. Banjo-Kazooie
  7. F-Zero X
Of course, most of my favourite Saturn games were also PS1 games, I just happened to play them on Saturn because I didn't have a PS back on their release dates.

For what it's worth, this gen and the current one are the only ones where a Nintendo console was my favourite (I think SNES trumps Mega Drive, but I didn't own a SNES). Switch is already my favourite Nintendo console of all time, but N64 will always be my inner-kid machine :)

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
PS1. The N64 was primarily an AKI wrestling machine for me, but the PS1 had so many great games on it and introduced me to the JRPG genre with its many great JRPGs.

Jamix012

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly? Of the three in the pool the PS1 is my this favourite. It has some stand outs and MGS is incredible to this day, but that generation's RPGs never felt good to me so I don't really hold it in too high a regard.

RavFiveFour

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
N64 something about that logo, that blessed godlike lineup (Ocarina of Time, Mario party, Star Fox, Yoshi etc.) dozens of great games that you have to take into consideration because you can't get GOLDENEYE on Playstation, one of the most beloved FPS' in the WORLD.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
I had all 3, and each had its highs, but to me N64 will always have a special place in my heart. I was at my early teens, played a lot with my brother, cousins and neighbours – never had since the same availability of players for local multiplayer. Good times...

My top games in each of them (from least favorite to favorite console):

Saturn
  1. Tomb Raider
  2. Athlete Kings
  3. Street Fighter Alpha
  4. Sonic R
Playstation
  1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Gran Turismo
  4. Tekken 3
N64
  1. Ocarina of Time
  2. Mario 64
  3. Mario Kart 64
  4. Wave Race
  5. Goldeneye
  6. Banjo-Kazooie
  7. F-Zero X
Of course, most of my favourite Saturn games were also PS1 games, I just happened to play them on Saturn because I didn't have a PS back on their release dates.

For what it's worth, this gen and the current one are the only ones where a Nintendo console was my favourite (I think SNES trumps Mega Drive, but I didn't own a SNES). Switch is already my favourite Nintendo console of all time, but N64 will always be my inner-kid machine :)
I had no idea Decathlete went by Athlete Kings in other territories. I was so confused what you could be talking about. I hope you also got to play its sequel - Winter Heat.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
To me if I'm judging both systems Top 10 games, then its N64. Somewhere at about Top 20 I'd say the totality and depth of the PS1 line-up starts passing it.

However, I'd say the Top 10 matters more to me, and I'd rather have a handful of masterpieces that a bucket full of very good, so I go with N64.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Eye and Aki wrestling games were my bread and butter. PlayStation had some classics but they won't touch those two games for me.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
saturn gets no love - the library (especially imports) is amazing, but sadly the retro bubble hit it hard & not enough stuff has been ported, nor do folks seem to know how good the emulators are these days.

i get it, im a diehard sega head and i still went with PSX back then (pricetag + FF VII/etc), but revisiting the library in the last 10 years, it's an absolute dream for arcade gameplay, SHMUPs, RPGs, compliations & so much fun shit

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
PS1 but it's closer than the 6th gen. N64 might have won for me personally if it wasn't for that abomination of a controller.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
fuck it, let's go - Saturn library shits all over N64, and can give PSX a run for its money in a number of genres

Guardian Heroes
Dragon Force
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shining Force III: Episodes 1-3 (fully translated & playable by fans, some of the best the genre's seen too!)
Shining the Holy Ark
Elevator Action Returns
Panzer Dragoon Zwei
Street Fighter Alpha II
Sega AGES: OutRun, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, Power Drift, After Burner etc (arcade perfect!)
Silhouette Mirage (the good one)
Bomberman Online
Street Fighter III: 3rd Impact
DoDonPachi
House of the Dead
Darius Gaiden
Chase HQ
Die Hard Arcade
Shinobi Legions (this one got slept on)
X-Men: COTA
X-Men vs Street Fighter
Virtua Fighter 2