• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

AaronMT

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Halloween always seems to be when online games with seasonal events really goes all out. I have fond memories of Guild Wars (1) introducing their Halloween event with Mad King Thorn. I don't remember too much about it but the community really enjoyed the time that it was around.

Shout-out to Hallow's End in WoW https://www.wowhead.com/hallows-end (is it still around?). I remember all the themed consumables, companions and treats.

What is your favorite Halloween in-game event?
155384-hallows-end.jpg

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017
WoW for nostalgia alone, but Guild Wars 2 had my favorite event with Mad King Thorn.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Halloween time during Bully

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Toontown Online had "Black Cat Day", where if you made a cat character on that day, it could have black fur, but only if you mad them on that day. The fur color is permanent.

Folks would make entirely new characters on that day so they could have a black cat at the endgame.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ah! My response was going to be Shadow of the Mad King in Guild Wars 2. The Mad King's Clock Tower jumping puzzle is incredibly fun and the decorations in Lion's Arch were the best. Oh, and Mad King Says. I haven't played in a looong time, but that was probably my favorite thing in GW2.

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not online, but I always loved the Halloween section in Bully. It was fun to see the campus change with the students dressing up and I remember some fun missions during that time too.

rezn0r

Oct 25, 2017
Always loved FFXI's (and in turn FFXIV's). While far fewer I have to mention Destiny's as well.

Edit- to above about GW2, wow I didn't play that long in the grand scheme of things but I was in for that event and it was awesome. I loved climbing the crazy clocktower.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Team Fortress 2 for the first few years. Nothing better than to piss off all the little kids by killing them while the big floating eyeball was on the map.

But then they ruined it forever with Merasmus and BONUS DUCKS.

Lord Vatek

Banned
Jan 18, 2018
The amount of time I spent grinding for the Headless Horseman's mount gave me stockholm syndrome for Hallow's End. So that.

Anabolex

Mar 23, 2018
Infection in Halo 3 on the special made forge maps. I don´t know if it was Halloween specific but it was the last time infection was actually fun.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Runescape has the best holiday events & there is a lot to choose from, so that, i still got that limited Scythe from 2003.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Team Fortress 2 had a good one. I think I remember liking the Killing Floor Halloween event as well.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite was RuneScape 2008? There were a few quests, you could get costume bits in addition to a functional broomstick so believe. I remember enjoying RuneScape at its peak around then

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hallow's End in WoW has always been a personal favorite. Shame I won't be experiencing it (or the game in general) this year out of protest.

The amount of time I spent grinding for the Headless Horseman's mount gave me stockholm syndrome for Hallow's End. So that.

It took me literally ten years of countless annual Horseman runs before I finally got that freakin' mount XD

Last edited:

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
I always loved the Scream Fortress events for TF2. My personal favorite is probably the Horseless Headless Horseman on Mann Manor.

Getting the present's when when they were server wide on that map always felt like such a huge accomplishment, even if it was a bit silly. So many scouts that Halloween...

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Guild Wars 2!
I will never forget gathering in Lion's Arch with a whole bunch of friends for the unique event in 2012 where the Mad King appeared and permanently destroyed our fav proud lion.
Aside from the amazing Clock Tower the content was kinda underwhelming the following years but in 2018 they brought everything that was so cool about 2012 back and added even more things. It's just top notch content. Just four more days until more GW2 Halloween goodness!

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Phantasy Star Online

Mostly for this banger they'd play in the lobbies around Halloween time

They'd also have quests that gave out rare items that would drop in the shape of a jack-o-lantern instead of the normal red box. I loved the hell out of those things and would often hack the game to get them all year round.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The first couple in Rocket League. This year they have a Stranger Things tie in.

Animal Crossing keeps getting better every iteration.

I started playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 again because there's a bunch of spooky things to build...

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I gushed a lot about Wuppo in my LTTP here. One of my favorite parts of the game is the timed Halloween event. We switched our XB to 10/31 so we could experience it.

ss_479e235a3a7d52c4d282514edb66747465d01938.1920x1080.jpg

Everyone at Wondersplenk is dressed up for the occasion.

If you visit the psychic and ask to sit in the isolative Dark Chamber, some weird things usually go down.

It's super trippy and hilarious.

On Halloween, a bonus boss battle occurs that is really tough yet fair and uber fun.

Here is a 3:54 video showcasing the Halloween boss fight, just the first couple mins should give you a flavor for the game.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
The Scream Fortress events had me coming back to TF2 long after I'd gotten bored of it otherwise. I was super bummed when they basically skipped it in 2017. Haven't really been back since.

Pancoar

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hallow's End in WoW. I don't play anymore but I remember when I got the Headless Horseman's Mount during the first time I did the event.

My guild leader was on vacation away from a computer and asked me to login to his account to do the dungeon run and ended up getting the mount for him too which I remember fondly.