• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baphomet

Banned
Dec 8, 2018
s-l640.jpg

Gundam DeathScythe Hell

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
That's what I had lol, but I suck at model kits so it was pretty weak and fell apart so my parents tossed it when I left the house.

I want an already built figure but damn they're all like 100$+
Ah. Well your call. Personally I can't wait to grab the Hg Baund Doc and RG Zeong when they hit western retail/prices stabilize

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Armored-Core-4-Anatolias-Merc.jpg

Overall Armored Core is probably top. I have spent thousands of hours on the games.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Aw man, this is like choosing between your children. I have so many favorites that I just couldn't pick one.

The granddaddy, Mazinger Z:
vincenzo-riccardi-mazinga-riccardi.jpg

The charismatic leader, Optimus Prime:
5f97161c2a9e60e8f3941e07a1b0735c.jpg

The Newtype lord, Nu Gundam:
Gundam+comp+6+gonna+start+with+a+bit+of+nu_c13e26_6381597.jpg

The beast, Genesic GaoGaiGar:
boris-au-ggg-300-hi-res.jpg

The walking Xenogears spoiler, Weltall Id:
659886e9936ff6df610f6de4a101340920150906112541.jpg

The Sazabi

latest

Thing is a beast. And the Gunpla was a lot of fun to build.

I have a Master Grade Sazabi that took me nearly a year to spray-paint and put together back in the early 2000's. It is indeed a gorgeous thing of beauty.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
My only bootleg model kit is a MG Sazabi. To say I am daunted by the prospect of that project is an understatement

Ironically it's the only MG I ever completed. I moved out not long after my MG buying spree (when I still had spending money) so I have a bunch of them unbuilt in a basement.

I did complete the fin funnels of the MG Nu Gundam, though. :)

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Ironically it's the only MG I ever completed. I moved out not long after my MG buying spree (when I still had spending money) so I have a bunch of them unbuilt in a basement.

I did complete the fin funnels of the MG Nu Gundam, though. :)
I left off of my MG Sinanju with just the torso completed. I need to get back to it at some point, but my cats prevent me from having a workable space right now haha

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I suppose it's gotta be Mechagodzilla. The original built by the black hole simians.
kwg3zPN.gif

MvTasav.gif

kx5bD0m.gif

Naturally this means I am also a big fan of the Dragonzord.
jpMoMOc.gif

I also should give honorable mention to Soundwave, although he's more of a large robot than a giant one. Giant trophy still goes to Mechagodzilla.
bQdHge9.gif

Kind of a curveball that you love Mecha'jira yet your favorite TF is Soundwave instead of Grimlock. :D

is the sheath getting spontaneously vaporized by the atmosphere?

Probably learnt the vanishing sheath trick from Valsione-R. :)

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Still waiting for a MG version.
Technically not giant!
Question: Would we allow a golem, or a giant statue powered by magic rather than machinery, to be considered a "giant robot"?
I would classify Kabbalist golems as primitive super robot and if they were very large, giant robot. The super/real dichotomy is more of a gradient and it gets very fuzzy in the middle like with Enders, Evangelions, some of the crazier Psychoframes, Transformers, etc., but it usually comes down to "is there anyway this thing could work in real life?".

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
A Sinanju, Sazabi and Nightingale side-by-side display must be something to behold, hahah.
maxresdefault.jpg

I hope they make an MG of the Nighingale someday, but even the RE/100 version is just ENORMOUS. Like, I knew it was wide, but I forgot how LONG it is too. You need a ton of space.
re_nightingale048.jpg

Yes, Gundam suits are nice, but enemy suits just have some of the more enjoyably crazy designs and sizes. Forget another Gundam or GM; give me a Gerbera Tetra, or a Jagd Doga, or a Kampfer, or a Zeong, or a Hygog, or a Hi-zack, or a Dom, or a Quebley, or a Hamma Hamma.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Yuusha Raideen. In the 1st grade, there was a new kid who had just moved from Hawaii. He had the coolest toys I'd ever seen, all from Japan. He clued me in that our local UHF station tailored for Little Tokyo showed super hero shows on Sunday evenings, and I started watching Kikaida. It was a live action tokusatsu. Eventually that show ran its course and ended. I literally cried. The TV guide said some stupid show called "Raideen" was replacing it, and I wanted Raideen to burn in hell. But of course I tuned in the following Sunday, and as soon as the opening credits started I forgot all about boring old Kikaida. After Yuusha Raideen ran all its episodes, next came Getter Robo G, then Go Ranger... good times.

ggraideen2.jpg

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
61t5bNRbFRL._AC_SX425_.jpg

The Berserk Fury from Zoids. The feet clamping down, tail vents opening up and then roar sequence for charging the Charged Particle Cannon appeals to me on a lizard brain level.

Runner up is the Qubeley. Especially in the first Dynasty Warriors: Gundam game.
Haman: You are not worth the effort! *proceeds to Mosou the fuck out*

Kent

Jun 4, 2018
No Virtual-On love in this thread?

temjins.jpg

Temjin was always a favorite of mine. I've preferred the Oratorio Tangram incarnation the most, probably because I've played it by far the most (above, left).

Though, the designs in general are pretty great overall. They have a very specific non-realistic aesthetic to them (since it's all "virtual" anyway) that's been consistent throughout the series.

tumblr_nujw5x5gSz1tu022ro1_1280.png

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
s-l640.jpg

Gundam DeathScythe Hell

I have MG kits of both the TV (cloak) and OVA (wings) D-Hells!

maxresdefault.jpg

I hope they make an MG of the Nighingale someday, but even the RE/100 version is just ENORMOUS. Like, I knew it was wide, but I forgot how LONG it is too. You need a ton of space.
re_nightingale048.jpg

Yes, Gundam suits are nice, but enemy suits just have some of the more enjoyably crazy designs and sizes. Forget another Gundam or GM; give me a Gerbera Tetra, or a Jagd Doga, or a Kampfer, or a Zeong, or a Hygog, or a Hi-zack, or a Dom, or a Quebley, or a Hamma Hamma.

Yeah, the Sazabi already towers over Gundams but the Nightingale is a freaking monster. It's nearly a Mobile Armor itself.

I fully agree that the Zeon suits are often more interesting, varied and plain cooler than the Gundams; it's a shame so many of the alternate universes went for Gundams for the bad guys too. :/ I need to add a monoeye mecha to my game, playable or enemy.

Gotta have those classic showa proportions to make it to the top! Unfortunately Grimlock does not.

Although I still do like Grimlock. My favorite versions are Animated followed by Fall of Cybertron.

Z024zDy.gif

Dy6ftnh.gif

I own pretty much every Animated toy, they're so great. I painted black the rocky parts of Grimlock's sword, so that only the seams are translucent red. :)

Man were those two FoC trailers hype as fuck, both the Grimlock one and the Metroplex one.

lmao how could I not think about it!

Especially given its theme song is sung by Ichiro Mizuki, the same singer as Mazinger's!

I always thought SKL was over designed but I do like classic and OVA Kaiser, but for different reasons that Mazinger Z and Great(and not as much)

Fully agreed, SKL is 2edgy4me; classic Mazinkaiser is where it's at. I have Max Factory's gokin version, with a working, spinning Turbo Smasher Punch and ridiculously huge jet scrander. :)

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I fully agree that the Zeon suits are often more interesting, varied and plain cooler than the Gundams; it's a shame so many of the alternate universes went for Gundams for the bad guys too. :/ I need to add a monoeye mecha to my game, playable or enemy.
I am impressed at how much variety you can get out of even basic mecha designs, but I certainly have a soft spot for the Zeon suits. I'm always torn between loving the Sazabi, Gouf Custom, and Kampfer the most.

I guess if push came to shove... Kampfer it is.
c894b7ab5c25b53b3c777c86e76bdb44.jpg

DJConvoy

Jan 8, 2021
If we're talking semi-realistic mecha, the humble Valkyrie (the simpler, earlier ones. I'm not a fan of most of the non VF-1 types, altho' I do love the profile of the VF-4). If we're talking super robots... I dunno, probably Voltron, if that counts. Transformers...? Probably Shockwave, and mayyyyybe Galvatron. Super Sentai mecha? I tend to like the more coherent designs, like Galaxy Mega, but I have a lot of love for the goofiness of Battle Fever Robo.

Dunno where it fits in, classification-wise (and it probably dates me a bit), but Gunbuster is one of my all time favs.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
If we're talking semi-realistic mecha, the humble Valkyrie (the simpler, earlier ones. I'm not a fan of most of the non VF-1 types, altho' I do love the profile of the VF-4). If we're talking super robots... I dunno, probably Voltron, if that counts. Transformers...? Probably Shockwave, and mayyyyybe Galvatron. Super Sentai mecha? I tend to like the more coherent designs, like Galaxy Mega, but I have a lot of love for the goofiness of Battle Fever Robo.

Dunno where it fits in, classification-wise (and it probably dates me a bit), but Gunbuster is one of my all time favs.
I'll confirm when I finally watch it in the next week or so but pretty sure Gunbuster falls under Super over real robot

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Movie Optimus Prime, always will be. Just an absolutely incredible design and a great character

1633F1464D47EE8C13D4F5

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
It parries a beam attack with a cape, so yeah, I guess "Real" is out the window. :D
Gundam is the original real robot show btw. The difference is more about is it politics based with some traditional tech and character moments, versus your robot is fueled by emotion and a mysterious power source that may or may not be trying to kill you.
Dai-guard is an excellent real robot show by the way that has a huge focus on the logistics of running a giant robot as corporation, dealing with the goverment/military, no mysterious super tech involved more practical weapons and tools, gets thrashed all the time. But it's still a ridiculous looking humanoid robot

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I am impressed at how much variety you can get out of even basic mecha designs, but I certainly have a soft spot for the Zeon suits. I'm always torn between loving the Sazabi, Gouf Custom, and Kampfer the most.

I guess if push came to shove... Kampfer it is.
c894b7ab5c25b53b3c777c86e76bdb44.jpg

I was about to mention, after the Sazabi and its variants, my favorite Zeon suit is probably the Kampfer. I have a Hobby Japan magazine from the early 2000s with a photoshoot of the, I guess it was the Master Grade? and it was gorgeous. It's a shame it gets so little screen time, IIRC it's only in like one battle (I think?) in all of War in the Pocket and it's not the really memorable one at the end, so it's like the poster child for "designs only known among gunpla fans". :D

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gundam is the original real robot show btw. The difference is more about is it politics based with some traditional tech and character moments, versus your robot is fueled by emotion and a mysterious power source that may or may not be trying to kill you.

Even THEN... I mean, OG Gundam has all these special psychic Newtypes running around with Gundams installed with psycho-frames that use this special spiritual power to unlock the human potential of the next evolution of humanity...

And then alternate universe G Gundam rolls along and laughs.
tumblr_njiosnIqpP1teummeo1_400.gifv

One of my favorite "real robot" takes, though, was oft-overlooked Gasaraki, which really felt like it was taking the concept in a grounded direction.
7dfbd8f46799c7394e1a1a2d237d5f0a.gif

1b4739856418abc27f60c2a0867e4bc0.gif

At least until the hundred-years-old Shinto priest mechs showed up.