• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Reszo

Oct 31, 2017
Vysaga
tumblr_ninp8pOSAw1rjxyrgo1_400.gifv

Mazinger Zero
xjaqGut.gif

Rei Toei

Nov 8, 2017
If we can also count robots with the heart and personality of a giant:

276e393e3940e036122319f5491ca7e9.jpg

I just always really liked the design of the 'koma's.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Many of my favorites were already posted so I'll list some other ones:

El Dora V from Gun x Sword (kick ass theme song too)
052.jpg

Dann of Thursday also from Gun x Sword
dann_concept.jpg

Nether Gundam and Fuunsaiki from G Gundam

latest

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I've never watched/read/played a lot of stuff with giant Robots, so I guess the one I have the most affinity with and like the most is Optimus Prime

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
The thing from Fallout 3: Broken Steel

And in fallout 4 you can rebuild it! You have the technology!

(you may need the dlc, not sure, also may need to at least temporarily support some nasty people to get the quest)

My favorite is because of pure nostalgia. Because of my fathers work I lived in South Korea when I was 7-8 years old back in the 80:s.
I loved the show with the Korean version of Mazinger Z. Or possibly the real one. Not sure which version I saw. It had an detachable head where the pilot sat at least.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
And in fallout 4 you can rebuild it! You have the technology!

(you may need the dlc, not sure, also may need to at least temporarily support some nasty people to get the quest)

My favorite is because of pure nostalgia. Because of my fathers work I lived in South Korea when I was 7-8 years old back in the 80:s.
I loved the show with the Korean version of Mazinger Z. Or possibly the real one. Not sure which version I saw. It had an detachable head where the pilot sat at least.
That's the trademark, it's a plane that sits in the head to be precise. Both Mazinger and Great Mazinger had that
STK698744

Oct 27, 2017
I love Transformers, but lets face it, most of them don't qualify as giant at all.
So if I'm going to vote for a Transformer, then I might as well go for one that is unambiguously giant.

kuqtJa7.jpg

dUNG4qB.jpg

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
As a child, The Iron Giant from the book made me cry.

As a teen, Patlabor was awesome - the black/white police colouring, the 'reality' of the usage as law enforcment/construction, the damn style of the things was just amazing. Gundams always felt unrealistic whereas you can imagine these 50ft tall robots really being a thing :P

A little older, I cried again at the giant robot in Laputa. I assume it counts?

I do now like Gundams as model kits partly because they look great on display but also their snap-fit design is fantastic and makes them approachable even without painting. Never really got into Mechwarrior or the more 'tank/military' inspired ones.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Gundams always felt unrealistic whereas you can imagine these 50ft tall robots really being a thing :P
Well...
gundam-move.jpg

gundam.gif

Now, Japan SAYS it's just for display, but I keep thinking "what do they know that WE don't?" as they secretly prep their future mobile suits for the inevitable space invasion.

... And speaking of the RX-78-2... After Gundam Wing, it was hard for me to look at the old 70s series and take the designs seriously. It was basic, toyetic, and dated to me, at first... but this has been THE example that has grown on me the most. I've gone full 180 on this design. It's not basic - it's uncomplicated. It's not toyetic - it's dynamic. It's not dated - it's TIMELESS.

And I can't wait to build my PG kit when it arrives.
63b22a94-f497-4309-8e18-7079fdfce06e.jpg

It's a design that has changed so little yet evolved so easily that it's pretty much the "Spider-man" of giant robots. It's the blueprint for every Gundam that has ever followed it. It needs very little tweaks to seem fresh and new all over again, and seeing a life-sized version on the Yokahama skyline is insanely cool.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
RX-78 is one of a few exceptions. I think I bought back the MG RX-78 II from Japan last christmas. That was fun working out how to squeeze that box into my luggage.. My other is a Gundam Wing of some sort with blue wings that fan out. The basic robot is really nice but the wings are a bit silly

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well...
gundam-move.jpg

gundam.gif

Now, Japan SAYS it's just for display, but I keep thinking "what do they know that WE don't?" as they secretly prep their future mobile suits for the inevitable space invasion.

... And speaking of the RX-78-2... After Gundam Wing, it was hard for me to look at the old 70s series and take the designs seriously. It was basic, toyetic, and dated to me, at first... but this has been THE example that has grown on me the most. I've gone full 180 on this design. It's not basic - it's uncomplicated. It's not toyetic - it's dynamic. It's not dated - it's TIMELESS.

And I can't wait to build my PG kit when it arrives.
63b22a94-f497-4309-8e18-7079fdfce06e.jpg

It's a design that has changed so little yet evolved so easily that it's pretty much the "Spider-man" of giant robots. It's the blueprint for every Gundam that has ever followed it. It needs very little tweaks to seem fresh and new all over again, and seeing a life-sized version on the Yokahama skyline is insanely cool.
Yup. Even the funkiest ones you can still see the template. Like the awesomeness that is Mustache(Turn A) Gundam
latest

Which reminds me the Master grade is in my backlog and I need to finish watching the show

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Question: Would we allow a golem, or a giant statue powered by magic rather than machinery, to be considered a "giant robot"?

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
Not enough Macross love in here...my favorites:

VF-1S Strike Valkyrie:
p0i3uy98rro21.jpg

YF-19 Isamu:
YF19_Fighter-GERWALK-Battroid.jpg

Also not enough Gunbuster in here too.
Gunbuster-cover.png

THErest

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have much experience, but Mechagodzilla, the old one, made of that sweet sweet Space Titanium.

Mechagodzilla_original_Showa_version.jpg

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
Voltron was my favorite as a kid. Haven't had much use for them since, unless you count more reasonably sized ones like Skells and such.

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose it's gotta be Mechagodzilla. The original built by the black hole simians.
kwg3zPN.gif

MvTasav.gif

kx5bD0m.gif

Naturally this means I am also a big fan of the Dragonzord.
jpMoMOc.gif

I also should give honorable mention to Soundwave, although he's more of a large robot than a giant one. Giant trophy still goes to Mechagodzilla.
bQdHge9.gif

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
I grew up with Gundam and giant transforming robots from anime, but it has to be the Iron Giant for me.

Seductivpancakes

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
Most of my favorites have been mentioned already so I'll go with the Timberwolf from battle tech.

d8s25wr-f2281660-9419-41c6-befa-047346a54961.jpg

67ecd1334a46a7d9c10a9a7c6a347d76.jpg

Timber+Wolf.jpg

I generally like all the MWO redesigns of battlemechs, but for for the Timberwolf redesign, I can't decide which I like better.

4b00ea7800cc964000c02c284c852dc3.png

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AMX-004 Qubeley.

I had a model kit of it that my parents tossed. Might buy a high quality figure come to think of it.