• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite Banjo-Kazooie game?

• Banjo-Kazooie

Votes: 146 70.2%
  • Banjo-Tooie

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • Banjo-Kazooie Nuts and Bolts

Votes: 36 17.3%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Might be the hardest poll I've made yet. Two of my most favorite games of all time. But....the sequel to me was slightly more memorable. Still have fond memories of that game.

GreedyG

Dec 13, 2017
As a child, with all the time in the world, I preferred Tooie. Discovering the huge worlds, speaking to every NPC and squeezing everything out of that big, connected world was wonderful.

These days I prefer the original as I play in smaller bursts and the gameplay feels tighter (perhaps they went too far with the move set in Tooie).

Nuts 'n' bolts is a great game in its own right but arguable not comparable. If Rare put a 'traditional' Banjo game out on 360 first, I think the reception would have been more positive.

The GBA games were 'meh'.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
Kazooie. Straight forward and to the point with some tight platforming and memorable characters and worlds, just right. Tooie is a bloated mess, which is a shame because it starts so strong but becomes too ambitious for it's own good.

Nuts and Bolts is fun and a great lil car creator, I think it's pretty underrated honestly. And even despite the new gameplay it still FEELS like Banjo, ya know? The music and vibe of the game is strong as ever.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
Kazooie

It's not perfect but it wins by default. I played like 20 minutes of Tooie and I hated it, meanwhile I'm not really into Nuts n' Bolts' gameplay

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I did it, i voted Tooie
Sue me. I liked the big worlds. I liked the backtracking. And i liked the OST more than the first.

PCfromNYC

Oct 25, 2017
Kazooie. Tooie had a lot of worlds I wasn't fond of and while I did enjoy building the cars in N&B, there was too much stuff that game didn't need, like Jinjo Bingo and the trophies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Kazooie is in my top ten favorite games. While I played Tooie more as a kid, I have a lot less patience for the backtracking, bloated world design and piling on of tasks and sidequests as an adult. Kazooie is lean and efficient, even if there are times when it feels too easy or simple. Tooie's a solid game and worth playing, but Kazooie just has way more replay value and levels that are designed to be like little sandboxes you explore without overstaying their welcome.

Kazooie and then Nuts and Bolts. I never played Tooie and from what I heard it's for the best.

I think Tooie's worth trying out, I definitely consider it inferior to Kazooie but it's a fun romp all the same at least for one playthrough.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's BK because it's a pitch perfect, laser focused platformer in nearly every way with its small flaws being fixed in the XBLA version, but I do want to talk about Tooie some.

Tooie tried to do its own thing and consequently opened itself up to a lot more flaws. The level of ambition it had was great and I honestly do believe the first four levels to exceed the best of Kazooie, it just falls apart once you reach Terrydactyland and Grunty Industries and its worst aspects of having to cross multiple worlds and do fetch quests for single jiggies reaches its zenith, and by the final world it's just a big mess.

It's not as good as its predecessor (off the top of my head Mumbo should have been entirely cut as a playable character) but it's still a worthy game in its own right, especially with the updated XBLA version.

Now bring em' to Switch you bastards.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tooie felt oversized, messy, and too grim. Jolly Roger Bay was cool, but everything else felt pretty forgettable to me.

Kazooie had a couple of rough points (Rusty Bucket Bay?), but the highs of Freezeezy Peak, Treasure Trove Cove and Click Clock Wood blow it out of the water.

Never played Nuts n Bolts.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
The impossible Lair. Great game.

If that's not allowed, then the original. Had just so much flair and character at the time, loved it.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It's BK because it's a pitch perfect, laser focused platformer in nearly every way with its small flaws being fixed in the XBLA version, but I do want to talk about Tooie some.

Tooie tried to do its own thing and consequently opened itself up to a lot more flaws. The level of ambition it had was great and I honestly do believe the first four levels to exceed the best of Kazooie, it just falls apart once you reach Terrydactyland and Grunty Industries and its worst aspects of having to cross multiple worlds and do fetch quests for single jiggies reaches its zenith, and by the final world it's just a big mess.

It's not as good as its predecessor (off the top of my head Mumbo should have been entirely cut as a playable character) but it's still a worthy game in its own right, especially with the updated XBLA version.

I'm not sure I totally agree the first four worlds are better than the best of Kazooie but there's a definitely slump in the second half of Tooie. It doesn't help that Terrydactyland is just an ugly, unappealing world. So much brown.

I actually think Cloud Cuckooland might be my favorite Tooie level, just because it's so unlike the rest of the grim, murky Tooie worlds and it doesn't have much actual backtracking (a few Jiggies related to other worlds, but all of the items native to CCL can be acquired within itself).

I will say Tooie is definitely the funnier game. Rare got really mean with it at times.

tapedeck

Oct 28, 2017
I always viewed Nuts and Bolts as that 'dumb thing Rare did with BK' until I finally played it on 1X with Rare Replay.

I've played and finished all 3 games and N&B is by far my favorite.

Deleted member 4260

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The original, but I think Nuts & Bolts is an amazing game too. Tooie is my least favorite because it's just a huge slog to get through.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I totally agree the first four worlds are better than the best of Kazooie but there's a definitely slump in the second half of Tooie. It doesn't help that Terrydactyland is just an ugly, unappealing world. So much brown.

I actually think Cloud Cuckooland might be my favorite Tooie level, just because it's so unlike the rest of the grim, murky Tooie worlds and it doesn't have much actual backtracking (a few Jiggies related to other worlds, but all of the items native to CCL can be acquired within itself).

I will say Tooie is definitely the funnier game. Rare got really mean with it at times.

For me at least Mayahem Temple to Jolly Roger's Lagoon represent some of the best of Banjo as a series and what it could do. The worlds are sprawling and filled with quests and stuff to do, with multiple areas to explore and varying objectives instead of "find the thing" or "do one task to get the thing." I even like Terrydactyland well enough (and felt the darker palette worked for a more "serious" game compared to the first), but other than that the back half is just weak.

Tooie also gave the series more of its own personality. Where BK was fairly standard with its writing Tooie brought in a sardonic wit to the series without delving into lame cynical lampshading like Nuts & Bolts.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
A hard poll for the OP but an easy one for me, the original BK takes it quite handily, though I respect the sheer complexity of Tooie that works as both its greatest strength and weakness, in the end you gotta go with the tighter design of BK.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Nuts and Bolts. I'm generally a big fan of collectathons, but by the time I got round to Kazooie and Tooie (after I'd played N&B), they were both just an absolute slog.

I get why those who liked the games before N&B dislike the genre shift, but I really got into the silly vehicle building.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
Replayed Tooie and it's still one of the best adenture-platformers ever. A game that is not yet still beat in terms of scope and size, at still in the platformer genre.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Genuinely surprised at how many Nuts And Bolts fans there are. It's not a bad game but even as a vehicle builder I found it kinda dull.

Showdown Town was a fun hub though.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Banjo Tooie, maybe the levels are too big and the hub world isn't as memorable, but I really like the worlds like the dinosaur one playing a T rex and Cloud Cukoo Land. It felt like they more unique than the first game's worlds where beach and haunted mansions were more of a 3D novelty.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Tooie with a passion!

A Collect-a-thon needs things to collect, so the more the better!
I tried to like Nuts and Bolts... but it was impossible. Second most disappointing game of my life, probably.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Kazooie but just. could. not. get into Tooie for some reason. I don't get it, but I think I'll come around someday, hopefully.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Genuinely surprised at how many Nuts And Bolts fans there are. It's not a bad game but even as a vehicle builder I found it kinda dull.

Showdown Town was a fun hub though.
Even when I try to give it a chance, you've got to put in a lot of creativity to the building part to actually make things interesting instead of just doing the simple thing that works, the levels are disappointingly lifeless, the fact each one has like three different versions instead of being able to host all the objectives just comes across like messy design and in general I like to sum it up with the mechanic in the hub where to actually claim your won jiggie you've gotta go to a specific vending machine and then taxi your jiggies to the hub centre, needless layers of fluff.
It's just a game that's all over the place with no strong focus, like the slapdash attempt to implement notes like they threw their placements at a dartboard.

Nickgia

Dec 30, 2017
Banjo-Kazooie.
Tooie is too bloated and just not fun.
Nuts and Bolts is so different. I enjoy it, but wished there as a return to form BK.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I played Tooie first, making Kazooie's relative simplicity a non-starter. It's clearly well made but it does nothing for me

May 25, 2019
London

This really crystallizes my thoughts on Tooie. It starts off well enough but you're right, you hit Terrydactyland and the worlds get too big for their own good and start depending on massive amounts of backtracking and interconnedtness in order to do anything. In Banjo Kazooie, there is exactly one Jiggy that you need to backtrack for - the race with the walrus in Freezeezy Peak, as you need the running shoes skill from Gobi's Desert. Tooie has you constantly going back and forth, opening shortcuts and transitions all the time.

On top of that, I think the moves you get in Tooie are just really niche to use. They're so dependent on splitting up both Banjo and Kazooie and giving them their own stuff - backpack skills for Banjo and flying/jumping for Kazooie. It just adds to the tedium eventually, where you're splitting them up, struggling to platform with Banjo by himself, stopping at Mumbo's tent to take him to a pad to press a single button, going to Wumba's tent to transform, etc.