• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Bunzy

Banned
Nov 1, 2018
35 and top 5 for me would prob be

1. PS4
2. Xbox 360
3. GameCube
4. N64
5. dreamcast

the dreamcast was a blast while it lasted cant put it in the top 3 since its run was too short. Wasn't a sony guy till the ps3 but 360 was the better console to me. Was a sega kid growing up and while i love the genesis, sega cd, 32x, and Saturn, they don't make it into my top 5

Peek-a-boo!

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
I am 32.

First console was shared with my brother, the Super Nintendo (with Super Mario Kart and Super Bomberman).

Favourite console is the GameCube for being the best local multiplayer console of all time.

My least favourite console is the Xbox One, easily.

Jay-T

Oct 28, 2017
37 and my top 5 are:
  1. Xbox 360: Perfect timing and amzing library of games
  2. DS: First handheld and only nintendo console I've bought, so many unique and amazing games
  3. PS2: So many JRPGs
  4. XBOX: My first console after ditching (budget) PC gaming
  5. PS4: Mainly for the souls game, Bloodborne is my GOAT

Vommy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Have to go with my SNES since it was the starting point for me.
I'm 32

DjRalford

Dec 14, 2017
Dreamcast for me, I'm in my late 30's and had a 2600 as my first console.

The Dreamcast was an amazing console, such a shame it didn't get the life it deserves.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
This list might change a bit from day to day, but:

Sega Dreamcast was like tech revolution, combined with the most fun games. I was blown away by the jump from low resolution 3D to high framerate 480P on my crt. Many of my all time favourites are for this little box. It also introduced me to online gaming and oddities like Seaman, Crazy Taxi, Jet Set Radio or others.
  1. sega Dreamcast
  2. Sega Saturn
  3. Nintendo Switch
  4. Playstation
  5. Sega Mega Drive
  6. Playstation 4
  7. PS Vita
  8. Nintendo DS
  9. Xbox 360
  10. PSP
  11. Super Nintendo
  12. Nintendo 3DS
  13. Playstation 3
  14. Gamecube
  15. Wii
  16. WiiU
  17. Mega CD
  18. Gameboy Advance
  19. Playstation 2
  20. Gameboy
  21. Sega Game Gear
  22. Xbox
  23. Sega Master System
  24. NES
  25. Xbox One
  26. Nintendo 64
  27. 32X
I loved the 360, but having 5 of them red ring made me a bit wary of ever owning an xbox again. I now have a series x preordered though.

I'm 36.

Last edited:

Starwing

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2018
I'm currently 26. It's a bit of a read so for those who are TL;DR, my top 5:

1. SNES
2. Dreamcast
3. Gamecube
4. Nintendo DS
5. PSP

If you want to know why:

5. Playstation Portable - Second favorite handheld that not only introduced me to the hacking and modding scene, but had a rather impressive library to boot. Not to mention a plethora of Racing games like Ridge Racer, Gran Turismo, Flatout, and two excellent Wipeout games, Pure and Pulse.

4. Nintendo DS.
My favorite handheld, was my third handheld that I owned and the first one I bought on my own. Mario Kart DS is still to this day my favorite Mario Kart game for its single player mode and introducing me to the world of online multiplayer. The DS was also the first time I played an FPS online through Metroid Prime Hunters and was the first time I owned, played and beaten a mainline Pokemon game when I won a signed copy of Pokemon Platinum.

3. Nintendo GameCube
The GameCube is a console that I've somewhat recently realized how good it was and still is. I've always liked the design and feel of the controller since I was a kid and wished Nintendo or some other company would continue to use the features of like the analog triggers. Its library was on another level, though, as it had some of the best games from Nintendo and Sega including Smash Bros. Melee, Custom Robo, Super Monkey Ball 1 & 2, Metroid Prime 1 & 2, Kirby Air Ride, Mario Kart Double Dash and my favorite game of all time, F-Zero GX.

2. Dreamcast

Funny story about the Dreamcast, it was not only the first Sega console my family owned, but it was also then that I realized that Sega was a console maker, despite Sonic being my favorite character in media at the time. I had no idea about the Genesis, the Saturn or the Game Gear and I played three Sonic titles, CD, R, and 3 & Knuckles, all on PC, before finally owning Sega hardware for the first time. If nothing else, the Dreamcast became my entry point into Sega as a hadware maker and developer.

The Dreamcast itself was the first console I felt was a huge generational leap from what I was playing at the time. Games like Jet Set Radio, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, and home console ports of games like Plasma Sword, MvC, and CvSNK 1 blew my mind from graphical fidelity to gameplay I didn't even think possible for a console at the time. Even smaller games like Re-Volt and Toy Soldier felt like third party hidden gems of games that only the SNES could match. Its a console I wish I spent more time playing and getting games as a kid cause had I played more of library, it would've been number one for me.

1. Super Nintendo Entertainment System
The first console I played to memory and the only one I have returned to constantly for good reason. It has the best library I've ever played. It pretty much had everything; even the games my family owned, like Super Metroid, Super Mario World, Cybernator, Mega Man X, SFII, ActRaiser, Super Bomberman 2, and TMNT IV just to name a few, still hold up today. Even long after we retired the SNES, thanks to stuff like the Virtual Console, I played and loved even more SNES classics for the first time like F-Zero, Pilotwings and Star Fox. Its the console that introduced me to the gaming world and what a hell of an introduction it was.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Mine is probably either the Nintendo DS or the PlayStation. I'm in my mid-20s so yeah it tracks. I just adore their massive libraries full of weird, experimental stuff. I would include the PS2 but I haven't played too many games from that system yet.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
1. Nintendo 64 - it is not the system with the best line-up, but it was such an exciting system, with a lot of experimentation and a number of truly amazing games (Banjo, F-Zero X, Mario, Zelda and Blast Corps come to mind)
2. Wii - the best game ever (Mario Galaxy 2), the best Zelda (Skyward Sword), the best DK (DKCR) and at the same time a breath of fresh air not seen since the Nintendo 64, with a lot of experimental game experiences.
3. SNES - many of the great game concepts developed on the NES matured here. It is remarkable what Nintnedo made of Metroid and Zelda in their third iteration, SNES probably has the best RPG selection ever and Yoshi's Island also is the best 2D platfomer ever made.
4. Mega Drive - The arcady 16 bit experience. Front and center is Sonic for me, but this was the most productive time for Sega and the Mega Drive is an excellent addition to the SNES.
5. GameCube - Nintendo botched Mario and Zelda here, but the overall line up was still stellar with many games that atre typically secondary really excelling (Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Pikmin are the most brilliant games of that generation)
6. Dreamcast - Mirrors the Mega Drive in many ways, it was just too short lived.
7. Wii U - the dual screen approach was only used sparringly, but it was pretty convenient to just play on the GamePad. Though it had a sparse line up it actually houses my three favourite games of the generation, Pikmin 3, DKCTF and Super Mario 3D World. Interestingly, it is also the best system for 2D platformers since the SNES (NSMBU, DKCTF, Yoshi's Woolly World, Rayman Legends just marvelous!)
8. Xbox 360 - Clearly the best Xbox, with a steallar third party line up and the last truly amazing Rare game (Kameo). It also standardised the ideal game controller. On the downside, it also truly established online gaming, unfotunately.
9. NES - Exciting in a similar way as N64, but many concepts were really rough and could only really made to work on the SNES (again, especially Zelda and Metroid)
10. PlayStation - I am not a fan of the cinematic approach, but the first PlayStation benefitted from the exciting start into the 3D era and as such also had a huge number of experimental titles. Also, as a 3d platformer fan, PlayStation benefits from the genre being particularly popular at the time. It was the best era of Naughty Dog in my eyes, too.

Born 1987. Maybe the fact that I often played the SNES or N64 iterations of game series before the NES iterations tainted my view of the NES iterations. Interestingly, games like Link's Awakening (and SMB3!) do show that it is less of a technical issue, but a really one of fully exploring the ideas.

zero71

Dec 4, 2017
46, probably a tie between the Genesis and SNES, although tbh I've loved every console I've ever owned for the games I played on them, and I've been a PC gamer since the VIC-20/Apple IIe days.

Similar age and started out with the VIC20 too. My favourite console is typically my newest console. But I have fondest memories of the C64 through high school and the SNES through Uni.

Zalman

Oct 25, 2017
Late 20s. My first home console was PS1 and my first handheld was Game Boy.

The Switch has become my new favorite. I've never had a system with a library that spoke to me as much. And the hybrid nature is a plus.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
36 years.

The PS1 was revolutionary (3D, CD-rom) and changed the market (not a kids toy anymore) but most importantly the lineup was killer and it opened up for so many developers/studios/IPs to be founded. I had played games for years prior on PC, Sega, Nintendo but the PS1 was a perfect storm.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
MĂ©xico
- Dreamcast: Great hardware, awesome software, VMUs...
- OG Xbox: My "second Dreamcast", I love it
- SNES: My favourite 2D console

EDIT: 40+

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
I'm 41

1. Xbox 360
2. SNES
3. Dreamcast
4. PS1
5. NES

The SNES was my favorite console till Xbox 360 came around. Xbox 360 swept me off my feet. Online was now a thing and it was booming. On top of that shooters became viable on console. Put SO much time into CoD games, and a lot of new franchises/IPs came out for the thing. Trilogies like Mass Effect, Dead Space etc. was amazing to me.
Fighting games came back with Street Fighter IV, with pretty solid online play!

Cherry on top was Xbox Live Arcade. Every week they were releasing more and more of my favorite arcade games with online leadersboards. Game size was expanded and indie games exploded on the system.

indosmoke

Oct 30, 2017
France
I'm in my late thirties and I'd say it's the Dreamcast.

It was a great console objectively, but my choice obviously comes down to the memories I had with it.

Coming from the Saturn it felt like the best comeback ever (from a significantly weaker console to a system that was technically ahead of its time). It was also relatively cheap. Lots of new things, gimmicks like the VMU or GD-rom but also real game changers like the modem and the 60 Hz output (which was HUGE in Europe, where all consoles used to output at 50 Hz with black bars and slowdowns).

And of course the games, first ever "real" arcade perfect ports, at a time where Sega still had an important and relevant output in that domain.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
I am 47. I've still never had anything better than the SNES. The Dreamcast, PS1, and Xbox 360 have come close, though, not gonna lie.

Dr. Mario

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I'm 38.

Started gaming on the Commodore 64 (wow I can control characters on a screen) then went to NES (wow these games have some actual quality and some of them have a bit of a storyline). But it wasn't until SNES that home gaming really came into its own, with endless classics and beautiful worlds to get lost in. Oh and multitap 4 player parties. So it will always be that. I have fond memories of all consoles and console gens, maybe individually even higher highs, but it wasn't until the x360 and now Switch where I think the breadth of quality is similar to SNES.

Shadow_FFVI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I'm 33. My favorite console is the first PlayStation. My first console was the NES.

The reason: Final Freaking Fantasy.
My favorite game of all time is FF VII (and no, it wasn't the first FF game I played), but I also loved VIII, IX and of course FF Tactics.

I was beyond entranced by that franchise at that time.

Oct 28, 2017
I am 38. My top 5 is:

SNES: my personal gaming golden era, I nailed all the hits back then

Switch: been a second golden era for me

DS: the Lite is my favorite pure handheld

GameCube: Had a ton of games I have fond memories of

Xbox360: A library I am not done with thanks to 4K BC

Least favorite: N64. That console was such a letdown for me after the SNES

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Tough question but I'll have to go with the Sega Megadrive/Genesis, but there are many others that I love too.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
On the one hand it's a super boring and safe answer: SNES. On the other hand, the amount of all-time great games is undeniable. I'm an RPG fan so SNES is a dream console; so many favorites are on that system.

That said, a few runners-up are Mega Drive/Genesis, PC Engine, Saturn. Even though those libraries don't really compete with snes (Mega Drive might though) there's so many great and fun somewhat unknown games I can't leave them unnamed.

Then there's the NES: an absurd amount of well-known series got their start here and I still love playing on it. There's so much shit on it as well, but people really don't realize how many great games there are outside of the standard classics like Mario 3 and Mega Man. I think younger people need to re-evaluate the NES, it's up there with the greats and if consider yourself even somewhat of a game-enthusiast, you owe it to yourself to explore the vast NES library.

But the more modern consoles are no slouches either, even though the industry is in a hurry to implode on itself, for now the average quality remains high (indies for fresh new ideas, AAA for more shallow but sometimes impressive technical showcases). I don't think I have more games for any other system than I do PS4. Sure most of it is multi-platform, but still. PS1 I love for its RPG's, PS2 for...everything, you name a genre, PS2 has it.

GameCube is also underrated, I don't have a tonne of games for it, but it's a fun quirky system and its library reflects that.

But in the end if I have to answer with my heart: SNES, with Mega Drive and the others mentioned as decent runners-up.

/edit: I'm 39 btw.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
It's difficult for me to pick a favourite, but if I had to, I think I'm most nostalgic for the SNES. Playing Street Fighter 2 and Mario World for the first time...my word. Never had a NES, SNES was my first console.

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
But, let's face it, it's probably going to be the PS5 once it arrives, I'm not too nostalgic. I'm not going to try to argue the N64 or something over the PS5, it's not even close!

But if you force me into nostalgia, it's the SNES (Japan/Euro colours not the shitty purple NA one).

JohnDamien

Oct 29, 2017
I am 30 and my top picks are:

01. Gamecube
02. Xbox (original)
03. Nintendo Switch
04. Super Nintendo
05. PlayStation 2

The whole Cube/PS2/Xbox Era is my favorite Era. So many great titles, new series and innovations with paved the way how games are today. Games like the prince of Persia series, Splinter Cell, Hitman, Call of Duty and so many more. I always smile in joy when I start one of the three consoles and play the shit out of them. GTA was in his prime during this time. GTA 3 paved the way for all upcoming Open World Games. Vice City gave life to the city and San Andreas perfected the formula.

Especially the gamecube. Nintendo put so much love in this console. They where innovativ (they still are but at this time it was amazing). Games like Eternal Darkness, Geist, Paper Mario. And the controller, God I love the gamecube controller. In my opinion, there was never before and after a gamepad with such a good feeling.

Yeah... I love this gen.

Izamaru

Nov 27, 2018
Greece
First console gameboy color. Ive since owned every single nintendo handheld and home console and every single playstation portable and home console. Ive also got the original xbox, the dreamcast and gaming pcs over the years. My favourite console is the Playstation 3. It just had a great impact on who i am as a gamer/collector today and it also was the console i had in my college years (best years of my life) allong with the nintendo Wii. Second favourite console is the playstation 4. Im 31 years old.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 29 and really have struggle to say which console I like most.

I grew up with the N64 and while I love the games on that console (Mario 64, both Zeldas, Pokémon Stadium, Paper Mario) I know that it is lacking support from 3rd parties big time and is missing out on JRPGs.
I love the GameCube for it's quality for 1st Party games, including Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX, Mario Strikers an it even got some JRPGs. Still lacking on the output of a PS2 but damn was it a fine console and the best GBA player (with some additional hardware) to this date.
The Wii was a time where I was fully emerged in gaming. Sure it (again) lacked soe 3rd Party support, which killed the console early, but damn was it fun to play Mario Kart Online, Wii Sports with friends and family, to play my first Monster Hunter and still have some excellent Core-games. Zelda TP, Preim 3, Galaxy 1&2, DKC Returns, Brawl etc etc.

But starting with 2010 I began to buy retro games and damn do I love the SNES.
I didn't grew up with it, but I played many games on it and the amount and quality of genre/IP defining games is staggering. From all devs, and all genres. This thing is a beast

BayonettasBuddy

Lead Producer at Cold Symmetry
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
For me, the PS1. I legit think it's down to some rose tinted glasses and bit of childlike wonder.

The feeling of that loading screen with the old multicoloured logo. I remember being so excited turning it on and playing it at friends and then finally getting one between myself and my brothers later down the line. The roster of games were immense and I think this was pre internet days, so I only knew about new games if they were in the magazines I occasionally bought. Sometimes you'd boot up a game and only know about it from what was on the box itself. It had a mystery to it that we can't replicate today.

It does also help there were tons of great games:

FFVII
Gran Turismo
Wipeout
Tekken 1-3
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter Ex/Alpha Series
FIFA
WWF games
Resident Evil
Spiderman
Crash Bandicoot
Crash Team Racing

I really can't place my finger on why (as we had a master system and mega drive late in their life cycles and I got consoles afterwards). But that console filled me with some child-like excitement I've not had since. Just hit me at the right time in my life I guess.

I'm 31 btw.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm in my mid-20s, and my first consoles were a SNES and a Game Boy Pocket (within a few weeks of each other) in early 2001. I had a Gamecube after it released here in Australia in 2002 (I still remember being hyped for Mario Party 4; the signs up in Kmart were cool as hell). Had a GBA, an SP, then a DS, a Lite, multiple 3DS (including an XL and New 3DS XL eventually), alongside a GC, N64 (I only got around ~2005), Wii, Wii U and now Switch. Had a PS1 for a while in ~2004 but didn't play much, and played on my brother's PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/X360/XBO so I do have exposure to those systems too, though I've not bought them myself. Played on PC from ~2000 as well, but nowhere near as much as on Nintendo consoles.

As of right now, I think the Switch has actually become my favourite console of all time. It's the culmination of everything I love about both handheld and home consoles, such a great natural evolution.

For an overall ranking, mine'd probably look like:

Tier of perfection:
Nintendo Switch
Nintendo DS
Super Nintendo
Game Boy Advance

Excellent:
Nintendo Gamecube
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Wii
Playstation 2
Game Boy

Alright
:
Playstation 3
Xbox 360

Big eh:
Nintendo 64
Playstation 4
Xbox
Xbox One

Rubbish tier:
Game Boy Colour (I wish we lived in the timeline where Nintendo had invested more into Project Atlantis, skipped the pointless GBC and released the GBA in 1996-97. Imagine a timeline with 4-5 more years of GBA games!)
Pokemon Mini (If it counts? I mean it was a separate cartridge based system. Was cute for what it is, but no worth the asking price imo)

Last edited:

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
Early thirties:

1. PS2 - Unrivalled game library and my fondest memories
2. SNES - Formative gaming experiences even if I had a NES before it
3. PS1 - Biggest ever jump in graphical experience blew me away

Skeff

Oct 29, 2017
I'm 32 and for me it would be PS4 PS1 or Dreamcast.

The reasons being is that they gave us so many new ip. So let me preface that by saying I first played TLoU remastered on PS4 and then we have God of War reboot which is almost new IP as well as Horizon, the reinvention of spiderman etc.

Ps1 was incredible from all the new IP and a real revolution in gaming not to mention the best 3 FF (7,8, FFT)

Dreamcast... shenmue 1 and 2 headhunter, good sonic skies of arcadia etc etc.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
27 here. First consoles I played were the N64 and GB. GBC was the first one I owned. I guess that shaped my taste in preferring games that can be played in short bursts wherever I'd want.
  1. GBA
  2. Switch
  3. PSP
  4. Wii
  5. PS4
It's weird that the two other consoles from the period in which I played the most games (DS and 360) don't make the cut. I have a lot of fondness for a vast amount of games in those systems, but I'm not that fond of the hardware and its capabilities compared to those on the list. The N64 could be swapped with the PS4 if I'm feeling nostalgic, could go either way.

Dec 11, 2017
I'm 35.

First console was SNES.

Favourite consoles are the PS1, PS2, and Switch. I'm not sure I can split them.

PS1 was the right console at the right time in my life. I really grew up with that PlayStation. Tekken. ISS Pro. MGS. Crash. Gran Turismo. FF7/8/9. Parappa.

PS2 felt like it matured as I grew into my late teens. MGS2. GT3/4. All of GTAs. Burnout. SSX. Pro Evo (almost perfectly refined football).

As I'm older and a father, the Switch has allowed me to continue gaming when I thought I'd have to give it up. I've loved so many titles on it (skipped Wii U so the ports are appreciated and loved). But the most powerful reason is because of Breath of the Wild. My favourite game of all time. I felt like a kid again and couldn't believe the sense of adventure it gave. I'll never forget my time with that game.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in my early thirties.

1. Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi changed everything for me. The graphics, music, the art style, I loved everything about it.
2. PS4 - The last couple of years have been wild, so many blockbuster games.
3. PS1 - I had light gun games, still remember playing the MGS demo for the first time, did a real time 24h Le Mans in Gran Turismo.
4. Xbox - Amped and Halo were killer apps. And boy did we have fun with local Halo MP. I also was at the first Xbox LAN party in Germany.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm 35. My favorite console of all time is the Xbox360.

It was the time where I truly started playing stuff online with a console, PC level top notch graphics, super comfortable controller, some of the best games ever made. It was the perfect package for me, aside from the awful build quality.

My top 3 are:

#1: Xbox360
#2: PS4
#3: PS1

All 3 just all around amazing products.