• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is your favorite city in Texas?

• Austin

Votes: 99 41.6%
  • Dallas

Votes: 32 13.4%
  • Fort Worth

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Houston

Votes: 30 12.6%
  • San Antonio

Votes: 37 15.5%
  • El Paso

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 17 7.1%

• Total voters

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin but I was legit surprised at how nice and artsy Fort Worth was. As a SEA-TAC airport user I always assumed Fort Worth was the Tacoma of Seattle.

Dallas was the only place I had ever been with TWO medieval times restaurants. I thought we'd gone in circles.

I suspect Texas countryside is gorgeous and intend to go there one day but not yet.

What is your favorite BBQ in Texas

Salt Lick off the random freeway near Austin but tbh I am easily impressed. I also like the riverside shack next to Austin convention center.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone voting Dallas is out of their mind. I just had to go there for work and it's a shithole!

Nothing but long stretches of highways, empty fields and dead grass with a bunch of super flat rectangular buildings.

Even the so called "cool" graffiti hipster area near downtown: Deep Ellum was embarrassing compared to Miami's Wynwood.

Austin was so much better it's not even close.

TylerD

Oct 25, 2017
San Antonio. Moved here from Lubbock last year. I'll be happy here for a loooong time.

It and Bexar county in general are growing like crazy but there are a lot of projects going to keep it flowing. Infrastructure is mostly solid with a ton of highway miles.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have strong feelings to anything in texas, but Funimation is located in Flower Mound so that one I guess.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You know even the people that have never been in Texas are going to say Austin.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
You know even the people that have never been in Texas are going to say Austin.

It does irk me that people consider Austin to be the ONLY city in Texas worth living in. All of the major cities except Fort Worth have a Democratic mayor. Dallas is fifth in diversity. Yadda yadda yadda.

Oct 26, 2017
New Orleans
San Antonio because I have a lot of love for the Riverwalk area, despite it being overrun with chain restaurants from a single company.

Austin has the coolest people, though, and I've got family there.

Houston is miserable because it's all giant interstates and sprawl. They have a decent light rail system in the heart of downtown, but nobody that'd need access to such mass transportation lives anywhere close to it.

Though I haven't been to El Paso.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Most major cities in Texas can be summed up with "Great food, night life, and people, shitty infrastructure and sprawl." Austin is a lot of fun but honestly it's not that fun to live in compared to the west or especially east coast.

Small college towns like Denton can be nice if you have a good group to hang out with, but they're also in the middle of conservative country and turn out to be very insular.

God no. Suburban white flight area, zero culture or interaction to be found. If you have to live in suburban North Texas, some place near Dallas like Plano or Addison is far more interesting.

Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in Houston for most of my life.

Pros: We have Galveston bay, NASA, Astros, Rockets, and plenty of museums, art galleries, zoo's, wild life preserves and park, and historic landmarks. I think the music scene is almost as good in Houston as Austin, which is the main competitor. Every band that tours Houston says we have the most dedicated crowds/fans. The food is good, the malls are huge, the schools are great, the people are diverse and cultured. If you move to Houston, you'll find yourself in a pretty great lifestyle situation, in terms of housing costs, land, etc. Most people live in suburbs for a reason. Safe and secure.

Cons : The commute to downtown is awful if you live in said safe and secure suburbs outside of Houston. People drive like maniacs and you'll see at least 1-3 cars pulled over for speeding on your commute to school/work daily, at least notified on the radio about a major accident as well. Some areas are seriously run-down/ghetto within downtown. Third Ward next to UH campus is a scary, scary place... I took the bus/train there everyday for years.

Last edited:

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
If the traffic and mass migration werent issues, it'd be Austin. As of 5 years ago I'd say Austin, but now it feels like an entirely different city. It's still beautiful and it has a unique culture...but it feels off.

San Antonio on the other hand 5 years ago I would say it's kinda depressing and I hate being there because it just seemed so rundown everywhere. But now there are such cool and beautiful pockets/developments especially on the river. Not to mention I've been on some incredible bike trails down there. I say in 10 years San Antonio will be the new Austin.

I live and have lived in Dallas all my life and while it's really nice and comfortable, there is hardly any "character" to the metroplex. Maybe in Ft Worth. But otherwise it's just a nice city (and probably the nicest of the three).

But yeah I went with San Antonio for the poll.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
The debate among city enthusiasts is never closed. I used to think Houston was better than Dallas. Now I find myself liking Dallas more.

www.forbes.com

What Is The Best City In Texas?

The pros and cons of Austin, Dallas, Houston and San Antonio.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta give it to San Antonio. Feels that it has the most personality with its heavy mexican/latino culture. Austin has always felt too manufactured/forced for me with its 'LOOK WE'RE SO WEIRD' shit.

Vilix

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
i gotta give it to San Antonio. Feels that it has the most personality with its heavy mexican/latino culture. Austin has always felt too manufactured/forced for me with its 'LOOK WE'RE SO WEIRD' shit.
SA is a big up and comer. If I had to move to another city in Texas it would be there. Austin is only 35 miles away and the great Texas hill country is just outside city limits.

Agentnibs

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I've lived in Texas my whole life and I'd say Austin is the "best" and more interesting City in Texas.

I live in San Antonio and it's a good city but the sprawl is getting excessive and it's filled with chains every where

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SA is a big up and comer. If I had to move to another city in Texas it would be there. Austin is only 35 miles away and the great Texas hill country is just outside city limits.
you can also drive austin/san antonio fairly fast in whichever hwy it is that you can go like 85 MPH or so. Six Flags San Antonio is dope af. And the nearby safari is great. And while yes it's way too tourist-y, the river walk is absolutely gorgeous.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Bias even though I visited other cities in Texas like San Antonio, Austin, Kilgore, Beaumont, etc.

But I choose Houston...nothing beats home (at least to me lol).

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the traffic and mass migration werent issues, it'd be Austin. As of 5 years ago I'd say Austin, but now it feels like an entirely different city. It's still beautiful and it has a unique culture...but it feels off.

San Antonio on the other hand 5 years ago I would say it's kinda depressing and I hate being there because it just seemed so rundown everywhere. But now there are such cool and beautiful pockets/developments especially on the river. Not to mention I've been on some incredible bike trails down there. I say in 10 years San Antonio will be the new Austin.

I live and have lived in Dallas all my life and while it's really nice and comfortable, there is hardly any "character" to the metroplex. Maybe in Ft Worth. But otherwise it's just a nice city (and probably the nicest of the three).

But yeah I went with San Antonio for the poll.
God please no, keep San Antonio Lame!

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017

You know SA's Hispanic heritage is promoted and manufactured to hell and back by the city's Chamber of Commerce, right?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You know SA's Hispanic heritage is promoted and manufactured to hell and back by the city's Chamber of Commerce, right?
Manufactured =/= promoted. San Antonio has an actual reason to be the way it is both historically and demographically it makes sense. Austin on the other hand decided they wanted to keep the 'Keep Austin weird' shit when I've never seen anything particularly weird about it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Nevermind.

Last edited:

zerocypher

Oct 27, 2017
It's a tough pick between Houston and Austin. Each has its own feel that are completely different but I absolutely know DFW sucks.
Besides that nice area north of San Antonio is there anything about SA proper that makes it great?

legendofgood

Oct 25, 2017
It's interesting to me that so many threads about Texas' cities come up. Why do we not give this much attention to other states' cities? Is it that each city in Texas is so diverse?

Anyways, I grew up in DFW area, but moved away in 2002, so I have no legitimate say now, but I am fond of DFW ;-)

moeman

Oct 25, 2017
Lame marketing slogans aside...

Read this and tell me what you think. IMO, it does a better job at describing the comparisons and contrasts between the two cities, moreso than comparing a stupid slogan to a city's history, which makes no sense in the first place.

endofaustin.com

Breakfast Taco Wars: Race, History, and Food in Austin and San Antonio

When New York-based writer Matthew Sedacca made the claim that Austinites invented the phrase “breakfast taco”, he probably did not expect the level of outrage that he received from San Anto…
I feel like this article kind of proves their point though? Especially with regard to Austin's lack of cultural diversity and why san Antonians value their Hispanic identity.

Akileese

Oct 25, 2017
What is your favorite BBQ in Texas

The only question that matters.

In Austin I'll take Salt Lick any day. It's in Driftwood outside of Austin. They do a la carte and plate style. The plate style is fine and gives you more food but the a la carte is way better. They also only take cash.

Black's Barbecue on Guadalupe is also good but not as good as the Lockhart location.

I'm partial to Lockhart Smokehouse in DFW. They have three locations. I've been to the Plano and Arlington locations and Plano is superior.

If you're driving to San Antonio drive through to Lockhart, TX. There's Kreuz Market, Black's BBQ, Smitty's, and Chisholm trail that I know of. I'm sure there are some BBQ snobs that might know better places but those are the spots my old boss told me to hit and I wasn't disappointed with any of them.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
*Looks back at previous posts*

Ummm....what was I talking about?

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
If anything though, the ongoing discussion that revolves around identity and each Texas city...it reveals a lot about how each city tends to manufacture itself in some ways, yet always seems to manufacture itself from characteristics that are honestly pretty genuine. I've noticed all of the cities seem to do this to some extent.

JohnsonUT

Oct 27, 2017
Houston is the one I would least like to live in. They all have terrible sprawl but Houston is in another level. All my in laws live here.

El Paso is the most unique but also the ugliest. Born here.

San Antonio has the best culture and city identity and breakfast tacos. Grew up here.

Dallas. Lived here three years.

Austin is the coolest and has so much good BBQ all around it. While Austin has sprawl it is less than the others. College plus 19 years here.