• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing another rewatch of the series (up to Humbug so far) and it's amazing how many great episodes and how many stinkers there's been in just two seasons. Some of my favorite episodes have passed, but some are still to come.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I don't know if it's the best, but one of the episodes I could never forget was "Ice".

Now I understand it was based on "Who goes there?"/"The thing", but I was barely 8 years old back then and it left a profound mark in my young mind.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I don't really remember any episodes other than The Gift (barely). So I guess it's my favorite and least favorite by default.

Oct 25, 2017
Can we split these into ones that were part of the overall mythology and ones that maybe weren't?

I didn't like the episode that wrapped up the Samantha stuff, for instance (the cop and his missing son).

I ended up liking a great deal of the 'Mulder is leaving' eps too. Doggett/Reyes were cool too.

Pusher would be my fave. Excellent baddie.

Nov 29, 2018
"Bad Blood" still makes me chuckle to this day, it was such a perfect microcosm of Mulder and Scully's relationship.

"First Person Shooter" is pretty bad and hard to watch, but I really really can't watch "Kill Switch."

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Best: Musing of a Cigarette Smoking Man
Worst: That episode with the twins played by Kathy Griffin

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
55ad255c371d2254008b7d2a

or the genie one. Both are great.

OP
OP
crienne

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Can we split these into ones that were part of the overall mythology and ones that maybe weren't?

I didn't like the episode that wrapped up the Samantha stuff, for instance (the cop and his missing son).

I ended up liking a great deal of the 'Mulder is leaving' eps too. Doggett/Reyes were cool too.

Pusher would be my fave. Excellent baddie.

I'd welcome anyone wanting to split this into mytharc & motw. Good call for those that said Pusher. Cerulean blue is a phrase that's baked into my brain.

HustleBun

Nov 12, 2017
As much as I dislike the reboot, the bulk of the series most hated episodes are in Season 7.

Fight Club, First-Person Shooter, Signs & Wonders, Brand X, the Samantha two parter (which has some good moments imo) and the genie episode (which I also think has some good moments).

But Space in Season 1 is so, so terrible. Maybe the worst episode.

The best?
Clyde Bruckman, Bad Blood, Field Trip, John Doe, Monday and that season finale that lead into the movie, are all favorites of mine.

I really liked Small Potatoes
One of Vince Gilligan's best. Not sure how well it has aged though, heh.

Retrosmith

Mar 2, 2020
I think 'Home' was the last episode I saw.
Some of my favorites were 'Ice', 'The Erlenmeyer Flask', 'Anasazi', 'War of the Coprophages'.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Ohhhh can't wait to rewatch them when they come to disney+ here in Austria tomorrow.

I never watched all of them but a good deal when i was a kid. I remember a freaky episode with a worm man in the sewers. Conjoined twins from a Freakshow, green spiders in the woods. A woman in a skateboard thingy under a couch? Man it's been some time.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
There are so many good episodes that can't really pick one. I guess the funny ones stand out like the one with cockroaches or Bad Blood. I also like the episodes where the characters are isolated from the outside world, something like Ice from first season.

There is fair number of stinkers as well. Never liked the ghost episode in the nursing home. It's one episode I always skip.

Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Can't think of a least favourite right now, but one of my all time favourites is 'Closure' from season 7. The ending is just perfect and the use of Moby's My Weakness hits all the right emotional cues.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
I'm in the middle of a rewatch just now and half way through season 6.

One word: Eugene Tombs

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
I'd welcome anyone wanting to split this into mytharc & motw. Good call for those that said Pusher. Cerulean blue is a phrase that's baked into my brain.
Pusher, Jose Chung, and Clyde Bruckmans are my favorite. I too have Cerulean Blue stuck in my head, enough that I didn't even remember the episode name until this post.

I also loved Tombs. Enough that my very first internet nick was Edward E. Tombs lol.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Squeeze fucked my world in 93. It's really fantastic, structurally. I was eight and had two vents in my room.

God I loved this show.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Thread sent me down a weird rabbit hole. Was lookin for this episode with demons talking in a diner about their job through little vignettes. I still remember the jokes and some of the plot to this day. Just rewatched it, turns out it's from Millennium and mostly full of boomer comic style jokes, Christian moral soapboxing, and meta murdering a fox network censor over censoring X-files.

Didn't realize the show was made by the X-files people and this episode was the same writer as Clyde Bruckman, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, and humbug. Now I realize why I confused it for X-files.

Episode was Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Favourite : Folie a Deux - Its scary, its weird and it has great Mulder/Scully relationship stuff.

Worst : First Person Shooter - Its just shit honestly.

Gunman

Aug 19, 2020
Best: Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

FPS is dumb fun. Plenty of worse eps than that like the Kathy Griffin one or Doggett//Reyes ones.

ThorHammerstein

Revenger
Nov 19, 2017
I only ever watched it sporadically (reasons...) but one that sticks in my mind is:
The one where people hear sound and eventually their heads blow up. And the one old lady who wasn't dying but kinda started to die so Mulder had to drive her away from the sound to ease her suffering.

ivantod

Oct 27, 2017
Disclaimer: I didn't see any episodes after the end of season 7 (including the recent revival).

The best episode has to be "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" (plus its small coda in "Tithonus"). Honorable mentions to any episode written by or featuring Darin Morgan. Oh, and "Home". Fuck, there are just way too many good ones.

The worst, probably the one with Kathy Griffin (I think it's called "Fight Club") and also "First Person Shooter" for being so unbelievably dumb.

For anybody watching The X-Files for the first time today, I would recommend to not worry too much about the mythology episodes as they really don't go anywhere useful in the end. Better to focus on and enjoy the "monster of the week" episodes as many of those are still excellent even by today's standards of TV.

Last edited:

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Favorite: Jose Chung's From Outer Space
Runner Ups: Humbug, Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, War of the Coprophages, Small Potatoes, A Post-Modern Prometheus, Bad Blood, Darkness Falls

Worst: Honestly just about anything from the last two seasons, but outside of that Teso dos Bichos was astoundingly bad. There were a lot of bad episodes, really.

The40Watt

Oct 29, 2017
Can't think of a least favourite right now, but one of my all time favourites is 'Closure' from season 7. The ending is just perfect and the use of Moby's My Weakness hits all the right emotional cues.

Fantastic scene to highlight. This always hits me emotionally. I thought it was an excellent way to finish that particular story.

I was just Googling some best of lists to jog my memory. It's crazy how many incredible episodes this show has. I can't pick my favorite. For me it's the best TV show of all time.

Last edited:

dapperbandit

Oct 30, 2017
Can never remember the names. I think for me the last episode from the show that captured some of the former glory was the one with the Goonies house.

There were stinkers throughout the series however. I seem to remember one with some kind of native American werewolf plot and finding it unbelievably boring

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I love bad blood. I also really like triangle. Basically any of the weird super concept episodes in the height of the show's popularity, they're all great.

Bad episodes? Idk. You forget them because they tend to bleed together. The VR episode sucked. The ATM episode sucks too I guess.

JoeHisaishi

Banned
Jan 30, 2021
Favourite: Home. By far the most realistic and down to earth monster of the week episode. Unnerving to the very end. Leaves you with that sick feeling at the back of your throat.

Least favourite: the later overarching conspiracy about the government and Mulder's sisters abductions got a little too drawn out.

Menome

Oct 25, 2017
Favourites: The Eugene Tombs duology, Eve, 2Shy, Field Trip.

Least favourite: Despite being a fan-favourite, I just don't like The Post-Modern Prometheus. 🤷‍♀️