• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Mickey's Christmas Carol. It's something I have to watch every christmas. Helps that at just 22 minutes it's brisk and an easy watch.

Think I'll have to rewatch the Muppets version this year.

Reym

Jul 15, 2019
Flintstones Christmas Carol is so underrated. It tells the story twice in one movie in an intriguing way.
I 100% agree with this. That was way better than it had any right to be, both telling the original story and then recontextualizing it in the "modern" setting to show it's not necessarily just a story. It's definitely underappreciated.

MisterHero

Oct 25, 2017
George C. Scott is probably my favorite Scrooge

I would have loved to have had a Lionel Barrymore (Mr. Potter from It's a Wonderful Life) movie but he lost the use of his legs before he could do it. He apparently did radio versions though.

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
Anyone else remember seeing this scene in school on "movie day" and everyone bursting out with laughter?

V9w2st6.gif

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
The '51 version starring Alastair Sim, also called "Scrooge" is far and away the best version, though I enjoy the 70s Finney musical, the Muppets one and Scrooged.

Also, if you watch the '51 version, make sure you watch it in black & white, not the godawful colourised version.

Last edited:

teague

Dec 17, 2018

Probably The Muppets.

I actually didn't hate the Jim Carrey one, the darker take on it was enjoyable.
Muppets followed by the jim Carrey one.
Muppets for me. It's not necessarily the best take on the story itself, but to me it embodies Christmas as a holiday the best, which can be argued is a vital part.
Muppet Christmas Carol is the only one I will sit through

Muppet brethren!!!
Also the accompanying album with John Denver is is the best Christmas album

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017

Also, everyone praising Albery Finney's version is good people.

I love the Muppets one, but the Finney one is an even better musical.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
the 1951 Alistair Sims version

unfortunately most people these days have probably only seen mangled versions of the movie, it was often shown on TV heavily edited down to fit under an hour

Sims performance is easily one of the best in the roll

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
The Muppets version is clearly the best version, especially with the "When Love Is Gone" scene added.

Oct 30, 2017
1) Muppets
2) Patrick Stewart
3) Alistair Sim
4) George C Scott

1) and 2) swap places depending on my mood. Patrick Stewart one has the best transformation scene toward the end.

I'd put Scrooged in there as well, but somehow in my head canon it's just not "Christmas Carol"; no idea why.

The Jim Carrey one can take a hike, that weird animation style freaks me out and robs it of all humanity (and yes, I also dislike Polar Express for similar reasons)

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
I'd put Scrooged in there as well, but somehow in my head canon it's just not "Christmas Carol"; no idea why.
Scrooged feels almost like a genre comedy if the genre was "christmas carol movies"

it plays directly off the expectations of the older versions while adhering to the formula at the same time

it was a brilliant move having Scrooge be a TV executive putting on a tv special version of "A Christmas Carol"

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Muppets for me, I love this Michael Caine quote from the wikipedia article

Michael Caine said:
I'm going to play this movie like I'm working with the Royal Shakespeare Company. I will never wink, I will never do anything Muppety. I am going to play Scrooge as if it is an utterly dramatic role and there are no puppets around me."

He took inspiration for the role from "Wall Street cheats and embezzlers, I thought they represented a very good picture of meanness and greed

Oct 30, 2017
Scrooged feels almost like a genre comedy if the genre was "christmas carol movies"

it plays directly off the expectations of the older versions while adhering to the formula at the same time

it was a brilliant move having Scrooge be a TV executive putting on a tv special version of "A Christmas Carol"

Oh yep don't get me wrong; it's one of my favourite Christmas films. It's weird, I have a kind of "tier" system that's not really to do with how good a film it is, but how "Christmas" it is, and Scrooged comes in the "watch it in early December" tier rather than "watch it on Christmas Eve". Muppets is always a Christmas Eve one, for example.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Of the ones I have seen, The Muppets definitely. The Jim Carrey version is terrible.

I need to watch the 1938 and 1951 versions at some point

Xalechim

Oct 28, 2017
I 100% agree with this. That was way better than it had any right to be, both telling the original story and then recontextualizing it in the "modern" setting to show it's not necessarily just a story. It's definitely underappreciated.
I am shocked there are only 3 of us. Y'all are sleeping on Flintstones Christmas Carol. Some of the scenes from that special are burned into my brain.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
It really is the best.
Sim's plays a slightly more sympathetic asshole Scrooge, he seems more like a man completely apathetic with life and where he is in it

he's still a prick, but the movie does a great job showing his complete loneliness and hatred of where he ended up in life, even with his wealth

you'd think it wouldn't work but Sim's pulls off the transformation in spades, you want to see him care again even before Marley shows up

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Sim's plays a slightly more sympathetic asshole Scrooge, he seems more like a man completely apathetic with life and where he is in it

he's still a prick, but the movie does a great job showing his complete loneliness and hatred of where he ended up in life, even with his wealth

you'd think it wouldn't work but Sim's pulls off the transformation in spades, you want to see him care again even before Marley shows up
I agree, his portrayal is the most human and nuanced version of Scrooge IMO. What really sells it is his behavior after he wakes up on Christmas Day. The balance of giddiness and contrition feels just right, instead of just a jarring flipped switch from "bad Scrooge" to "good Scrooge" that many other versions are guilty of IMO.

It's also the scariest version!