• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Favorite AAA JRPG by SE

• Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 48 8.6%
  • Dragon Quest XI

Votes: 189 33.9%
  • Kingdom Hearts III

Votes: 37 6.6%
  • Final Fantasy VII R

Votes: 283 50.8%

• Total voters

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a tough call for me between FF7R and DQXI. I had a great time with both of them and would easily recommend them both to friends. I think though I have to go with DQXI because it was such a gigantic, complete package. FF7R was also a full game, but it also left me wanting more. (Good for them business wise)

Haven't played FFXV and I thought KH3 was decent but not really exceptional.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
FFVIIR for sure but I also enjoyed FFXV a lot.

I think XV suffered from an incomplete story, never played the DLC but too little too late for me to care if it did fill the gaps in. Even then I think the broke up the story too much and left a lot of meaningless stuff in the main game. I'd love to see S-E make this game when they were at the height of their RPG game.

I guess S-E is not as good as it used to be but I bet it is more successful so they don't care.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
DQXI was everything I wanted at the time. It was an old style JRPG with a fresh coat of paint on it.

FFVIIR was good, but it was a bit too linear I'm looking forward to the next one hopefully being a bit more open.

KH3 was ok, the story has always been nonsense, but it has Disney stuff in it, so that's neat.

FFXV A game where all the most interesting things happened off screen. I still can't believe they tell you your father is dead and the kingdom has been invaded by one of your party members buying a news paper after you took a nap.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Hard to say, all of these games are great. Square might be the best developer/publisher this gen

Nov 13, 2017
I've only played 15 and 7R out of that list. I played 15 well after it got patched, near the release of the first DLC. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and even did some of the post-game content like the Pitioss Ruins. Made me wish there was more of that stuff in the main game.

7R takes the cake though. Nostalgia aside, I thought the combat was excellent and the weapon/materia systems were perfect. Plus it looked so, so good in all the necessary places. Wish it didn't have those muddy backgrounds in the slums, though :\

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
idk, if we're talking strictly about their internally developed aaa jrpgs. Their 7th gen list is way worse.
You're not wrong. It's a matter of opinion, but I personally enjoyed their last gen showings - ask me on a different day of the week and I might agree with you. I would seriously put the Lightning trilogy above FFXV and FFVII Remake as a whole because that pattern of immature storytelling (or lack thereof) persists in these newer games and it's gotten stale. I don't think most FF fans played all 3 of the Lightning trilogy games, and it really feels like they're rehashing a lot of the themes from those games. I also have a strong aversion to open world games, so a linear average game that doesn't try to waste my time is more enjoyable for me that an open world average game that does the bare minimum in storytelling to get you to backtrack and run from A to B to C to A. Doesn't help that FFXV is the worst mainline FF I have ever played, which sounds harsh, but the series is probably one of the most prestige game series' out there, so it's not as harsh as it sounds.