• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite AAA JRPG by SE

• Final Fantasy XV

Votes: 48 8.6%
  • Dragon Quest XI

Votes: 189 33.9%
  • Kingdom Hearts III

Votes: 37 6.6%
  • Final Fantasy VII R

Votes: 283 50.8%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
For me, it's without a doubt Dragon Quest XI. It's one of my games of the generation and represents exactly what I want out of an 8th gen jrpg. I really wish SE would stop trying to reinvent the wheel and use DQXIs template for a final fantasy game, but we all want things :/ I'm not sure how i'd rank the remaining 3 however. I like all of them to a degree, but they all have flaws which I feel hold them back in different ways.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The least boring one was DQ XI.

FF XV and KH 3 are trash

FF7R was enjoyable despite some flaws.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ehhhh

As a whole package it's probably DQ, even if I find the battles boring as sin.

Moment to moment gameplay it might be Kingdom Hearts for me, shockingly. It can be quite fun on critical

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
DQ11 is the better game, but I enjoyed FF7R more. Hard to choose.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
DQ XI was an overall solid game (with the exception of the music which was bad imo), but the brilliant combat in FFVII:R pushed it above DQXI for me. Not sure whether I prefered FFXV or KHIII.

Zweisy1

Oct 30, 2017
Dragon Quest XI by far. The best traditional JRPG released this gen. Such a charming game packed with content.
In fact DQ has been pretty consistently the better series to me.. admittedly more conservative but always quality whereas there are several FF games I cant get any enjoyment out of..
Have not played a Kingdom Hearts game since the original.

Even the DQ side games are damn solid for the most part, Rocket Slime, DQ Builders etc..

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
I hated Kingdom Hearts 3 but, honestly, probably Kingdom HEarts 3, with FFVIIR Right after. If nothing else, the ReMind Data fights are some of the most fun I've had in a long time, even if the core KH3 package is mediocre.

I liked FFXV in spite of itself, but I'd never replay it and DQXI is :ResidentSleeper:, though I'll probs play the Def Edition when it launches on GP to give it another shot.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Only one I've played so far was DQXIS but I couldnt muster more than 5-6 hours before I was bored. I'll give it another try at some point just not in the mood right now.

I doubt I'll ever play FFXV but I probably will the other two

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Have yet to play DQ11, and will do so when it comes to Xbox Game Pass in December, but so far, its FFVII Remake by a good margin

Wise

Oct 27, 2017
All of them are disappointing imo

KH3Remind is the best of the bunch. That one is good and the updates really saved the game as a whole. Very good currently

Pre update KH3, FF7R and DQ11 are painfully mediocre. All 3 have a crap ton of flaws and are 5-6/10 games at best imo

FFXV is just downright bad

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I am planning to give DQ11 another go but my little time with it wasn't great. I just found it boring as sin. But so many love it that I'm willing to give it another try.

FF15 had amazing highs and generally good atmosphere but it was a jumbled, uneven mess. One that I like, but still a mess.
KH3 was a game that i did a huge turnaround on - I think in large part due to the updates, though. The gameplay is pretty fantastic now, even surpassing 2FM, a wacky ass adventure if I've ever experienced one but with a lot of heart and soul. Some storylines definitely got botched tho.

FF7R is so close(currently my GOTY), if it had better aerial combat, less god awful textures and just a couple hours more tighter pacing, it'd be the easiest choice, but with KH3's gameplay really knocking it out of the park especially with ReMind, my vote goes to that.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I will have to go with Dragon Quest XI S. While I enjoyed Kingdom Hearts 3, some aspects disappointed me. I have not yet played FF XV or FF VIIR, so I can't pick those games.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
FF7R with DQXI a close second for being a much more complete experience.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
I've not played Kh3 and not really interested in the series, but from the other 3, it's FF7R by far. Despite its flaws its a fantastic game. DQ 11 is a decent game, but there's nothing special or memorable about it, I'm really surprised so many people keep mentioning it. And FF XV isn't that good, but I enjoyed it.

Small Red Boy

â–˛ Legend â–˛
May 9, 2019
FFXV is amazing, I loved it. DQXI is very good too, but not as good I'm afraid. And haven't played, nor I have interest for, the rest.

Oct 25, 2017
Pleasantly surprised FF7R is winning here. DQ isn't bad, it's fine.. good even, but that's about it. I don't really think there's a single area in which it stands out as being better than the competition: the OST hurts my ears and is crafted by a piece of shit to boot, the combat is serviceable at best, and the story is pretty forgettable. FF7R isn't a perfect game and it has issues with pacing and level design, but the OST, the combat, and the characters are all outstanding. Head and shoulders above DQ in those aspects imo and that's why I put it comfortably above it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
My ranking is:

Dragon Quest XI > Kingdom Hearts III > Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness (also including this for fun) > Final Fantasy VII Remake > Final Fantasy XV

DQ11 is pretty standard for the series, but I love Dragon Quest just in general and it was great to see the series make a big return.

I thought KH3 was a pretty great ending to the story. Fun combat, Disney worlds that aren't too expansive but still make you feel like you'e apart of the world, very well paced. Story is kinda nonsense but otherwise I didn't get the hate.

SO5 was extremely rushed and backtrack-heavy, with a story that fell short of doing much, but still managed to maybe be better than the last couple games'. But in terms of pure mechanics it might be my favorite game on this list, combat was really fun and fluid. The game design didn't really utilize all of those mechanics though.

As soon as we knew FF7R was just Midgar I was worried, I didn't understand how they could make a full game out of that and thought it was really disappointing that it was just that without ruining its pacing. I also think the game has good combat but I'm not a fan of how weighty it is. Keeping all of this in mind, I think the game was about as good as it possibly could have been, doing a good job of fleshing out the characters and having some really dope setpieces. But it ultimately still has all of the issues a 40 hour Midgar game would always entail, with giant ass pacing problems. Fights and sections that drag on for far longer than they need to and a story that lacks any kind of a satisfying ending.

FF15's combat is ass and like the interesting parts of the story all happen off screen. The world design is at least really cool and the game had a lot of neat ideas but it's the only game on here I don't like.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
1. Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
2. Kingdom Hearts 3 Remind
3. Final Fantasy VII Remake

Never played DQXI. Have no interest in it.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
FFXV since I actually like that one and hated KH3 and FF7 remake for the most part

haven't played DQ11 to make an opinion

rochellepaws

Oct 25, 2017
Ireland
FFVIIR is my pick but DQXI was great too, along with Shadowbringers.

XV and KH3 were big disappointments but I'm cautiously optimistic SE are learning the right kind of lessons from them.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF VII Remake. I'm planing to play it on the hard difficulty soon.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
As much as I like DQ11, I've been pining for something similar to FF15 lately. That game was just so good, it really nailed the "Final Fantasy evolution" problem that has mostly gone really badly recently.

mute

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
FF7 up until Shinra Tower.

Otherwise DQ by a mile.

KingdomKey

Oct 27, 2017
I am biased but I've had the most fun with KH3, without a doubt after ReMind released. Those boss fights are top-tier.

FF7R is great. FFXV is fine at most, and I have attempted to play DQXI but lost interest after a few hours.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
was overall happy with both 7R and DQ. Will give the vote to 7R because the battle sys was satisfying on hard. DQ is just too easy on normal. XV was a disappointment and i don't play KH.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I couldn't get into FFXV, believe me I really wanted to and tried.

I had no interest in DQ11

I loved watching Kingdom Hearts 3

Final Fantasy VII remake is one of my GOTY contender.

Oct 31, 2017
FFVIIR of course

but I gave KH3 another chance and I'm falling in love

I also think Type-0 is a good game, if you use the bug that alleviates grinding and play in Japanese

Final Fantasy XV is... ok. Whenever I don't think about how disappointing it is.

Dragon Quest XI, I haven't played yet, but I'm sure I'll think the S version is at least good.