• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thequietone

Oct 26, 2017
That it focuses too much on old Pokemon and not new Pokemon. Like if I wanted to play with Pikachu or Lucario again I'd boot up Red or Platinum. I also don't like dynamax and giga whatever. New Pokemon please.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
that they axed megas in favor for something that's a dumber approach to megas. Seems like a weird waste.
and then bringing back region-based forms. seems like a lazy way to make new pokemon without the baggage of having to bring that pokemon back in later games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
My biggest issue: The fanbase believing every bit of crap random previously no-name youtubers say to push a negative narrative which then spread virally.

Yes, the Dex cull 100% sucks. However, they wouldn't just do it on a whim. There were reasons for it. We may not know them right now but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Especially when you listen to game developers who have all explained what problems may be.

with the sheer lack of content in the games,
How can you say that though? The game's contents aren't known. People keep making this assumption but that's not how it works. They're not going to reveal everything about a game before launch
n a game where the natural inclination is to explore and train, the hours of cutscenes grinds the game to a halt.
Sun & Moon only had around 16 minutes of cutscenes. If you mean dialogue then the dialogue was actually not that much more plentiful than that of Diamond & Pearl or Black & White, they could just frame it better.

Last edited:

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
-Over half of Pokemom cut

We don't have numbers of Pokémon that are cut
-Missing core features
We don't have a game so can't state this. What core features?
-Recycled models and animations, while also acting like the fans are dumbasses and can't realize they're lying about them being made from scratch
Recycled animations and models happen in all video games that are not brand brand new IP. Why is this a "bother". Oh Eevee is reusing its happy animation? What did you expect them to do, waste their time and make another one?
-Anti consumer practices
Such as?

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Tell me about it. I'd rather they cut out the entire cringe inducing "dynamax" concept, and focus on delivering to scale pokemon. So jarring that decade year old spinoff pokemon games got it right but the mainline games are still behind.
You know they don't need to "focus" on delivering scale Pokémon. The models are actually natively to scale.
EC6O1V7WkAEjU6G.jpg

They employ a scaling engine to scale Pokémon down in battle. This existed in X & Y, Sun & Moon and even Let's Go (despite people insisting otherwise. Check this Mewtwo example.
EC6O5bdXYAIwRcp.jpg
EC6O5aeXYAE6h44.jpg

And USUM for comparison
191.jpg

And this Melmetal example
257.jpg
DqRpNveWwAAb6Dm

I believe that this is to make sure that ALL Pokémon can be seen at a glance in battle. As the Switch has a bigger screen, they were able to adapt this so they were closer to scale, but still needed to have some engine in place to make them match. Pokémon Camp/Refresh use the battle engine to have interactions so they too have the similar scale

Technically, it's more work for them to do this. However, they seemingly chose to for a reason. You may not like it, but don't act like it's something done out of incompetence.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Based on what I've seen in trailers (which is how I form my opinion on buying it), it reminds me in a lot of ways of Sun & Moon and that doesn't sit right with me. Sun & Moon looked like a game full of details and polish and in the end we got a game that seemed quality at first glance but fell apart more and more as time went one, with the most disappointing thing being that the last trial is legit just a corridor.

I am not in the business of repeating that, and I think Su/Mo also shifted my biases to be more skeptical of new Pokémon games rather than just buying them at launch hoping they'll be as good as they look.

That's why Sword/Shield are the first mainline Pokémon games I won't play at launch ever since getting into the games back with Gen 1.

And since I guess I haven't really mentioned my issue, well, it's the suspicion of lack of ambition with this one, much like it was with Su/Mo. I can't say for sure until the game is released, but that is what makes me want to pass on ths games.

PS: Just to note tho, I am not calling the devs lazy. I doubt any talent behind these games intentionally wants to cut corners in order to hit the release date, but I feel the lack of ambition comes from the fact that the games are underfunded and have short dev cycles, never giving ambition the time it needs to bloom.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
PS: Just to note tho, I am not calling the devs lazy. I doubt any talent behind these games intentionally wants to cut corners in order to hit the release date, but I feel the lack of ambition comes from the fact that the games are underfunded and have short dev cycles, never giving ambition the time it needs to bloom.
I mean we do know for a fact that SWSH was in development in early 2017 at the absolute latest, so it looks like at minimum a 3 year dev cycle for these... It's not a short dev cycle

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Here's to hoping that Raids don't become abandoned instantly after the first month when everyone has finished playing through the game. Raids are one of the big new things and I'm hoping they get the balance of it just right so everyone continues playing it, don't make it too easy that everyone does it once then never touches them again, make them too hard that everyone just gives up on them, or that there isn't one way to exploit them or something.

Not all pokemon suck as well, but final call on that will be when we get the full numbers of who is in and who isn't.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I'm not being a troll but they are just so boring to me now. I've tried x, sun, and lets go...and every time I get 20 minutes into a session my eyes get heavy and I lose interest.
I'm going to get Sword if only for sirfechd but I know I'll probably never finish the game.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely dynamaxing. It seems like a lot of work for what seems like just another cheap gimmick that will be discarded almost immediately afterwards. I'm expecting them to also cause performance issues once again. :/

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Visuals are abhorrent and dynamax isn't interesting.

Other than that, it's Pokémon so I guess I'm in.

battleborn27

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Recycled animations and models happen in all video games that are not brand brand new IP. Why is this a "bother". Oh Eevee is reusing its happy animation? What did you expect them to do, waste their time and make another one?
They used "creating models and animations from scratch" (which is a blatant lie) as an excuse to why they cut half the Pokemon of the cast. And you defend them. Stop moving goal posts. If every Pokemon came back, recycling wouln't be a problem, as they've been doing it for ages.

We don't have numbers of Pokémon that are cut
Such as?
Having you pay a monthly fee to not have your Pokemon fade into obscurity, while also not being able to transfer them into SwSh, effectively forcing them into a limbo isn't anti consumer now?

TeddyShardik

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
They hollowed out the core of the franchise for, so far, spurious gains.
Nothing I have seen so far makes up for that one Pokemon I won't be able to use.
I'm still excited for the game, but knowing Pokemon (the whole point of the games) will be missing and never be able to come back, will be a huge bummer. Nothing they do will make up for it, and GF saying this is what Pokemon games will be in the future doesn't make it any better at all.
Dynamax will be gone in the next game knowing GF, it is not worth the cost.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Pokemon isn't AAA though, it's AA at best. It just has AAA levels of popularity.

AAA levels of popularity and profit warrants a AAA budget. Especially now that Nintendo has started to position the games as their big holiday titles, there is no excuse for them to look so low rent compared to the rest of Switch's first party output. It's time to adapt.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Gendering outfits and literally cutting off entire player customization features if you play as a boy (makeup).
Oh yeah, it's kinda weird how Game Freak is still gender-locking customization options in Pokémon when most other Nintendo games are starting to allow any form to pick whatever piece of clothing they want (see Super Mario Maker 2). Of course, Sword/Shield isn't the only one guilty of this (looking at you, Three Houses, let Lysithea use the Dark Seal).

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
They used "creating models and animations from scratch" (which is a blatant lie) as an excuse to why they cut half the Pokemon of the cast. And you defend them. Stop moving goal posts. If every Pokemon came back, recycling wouln't be a problem, as they've been doing it for ages.

No, they used a phrase that could be taken a variety of ways, the fandom simply seized upon an interpretation that fit the narrative of them being the bad guys.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
My only one is probably not having every Pokemon ever. (My dawg Lugia 😭).

But that's probably it. I'm extremely excited to play this.

touchfuzzy

Banned
Jul 27, 2019
Nothing. Game looks pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I don't care about importing old Pokemon or whatever because I'm not a child.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Oh yeah the sense of scale is all wrong in battle. Why is it right in b-grade gamecube game more than 15 years ago but not from the official teams core console game?

Hate to break it to you. But love it or hate, "made by Gamefreak" is a valid excuse now. I think other devs did that game.

Nothing. Game looks pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to checking it out.

I don't care about importing old Pokemon or whatever because I'm not a child.

Lol.

Have fun playing your uprezed 3DS game chump. 😎#notmyPokemom

in for Sword edition day 1

DynamicSushy

Sep 7, 2019
All I wanted was an adjustable camera, which it kinda has due to the wild areas, but not good enough for me. As well as battles with non-text-based progression. Stop announcing what's happening in a text box and just let the battles happen.

Jaoox

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it's not really pokémon itself.
I know what I'm getting into.

It's that there are much more interesting games realeasing so close to it.
I'll absolutely play it at one point though

T0M

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 13, 2019
User Warned: Lazy developer rhetoric
The entire game is just lazily done. Will get used at some point.

Deleted member 41502

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I really wanted a big BotW style game. Big world. Pokmeon spread out and an emphasis on exploring.

Still sad we aren't getting it. But I picked up LetsGo for my kids this weekend, and.. they've had crazy fun. I haven't played a minute. Just watched them and chimed in when they're stuck. But they're having enough fun that I'm pretty excited about this now.

StephXPM

Pokemon Master
Nov 23, 2017
- Announcing Pokemon Home, and soon after, announcing the baffling decision to cut Pokemon. Also, doubling down on this decision and saying it would be the standard moving forward.

- The habit of cutting neat features instead of expanding upon them. Following Pokemon (they already run around in the overworld??), expanded battle facilities, Secret Bases, VS Seeker, etc. I know Dynamax is basically a fusion of Mega Evos and Z-moves, but it's probably gonna get the axe come next gen for another gimmick. What will become of the Mega Evo designs too? Are they just gonna be relegated to merch from now on?

Nothing is really confirmed for these yet, but they've been issues for me in recent titles:

- Generally feeling like the games are rushed.

- Poor postgame.

- Some competitive-related stuff. Not having the campaign be double battles (or an option to make them double battles), not making hidden power more easily manipulable, not having good areas to grind up to 100 in order to use Bottle Caps, etc.

I am still interested in playing these games, but I think there's a lot that could be done to make them better.

Jun 8, 2018
* Primarily 1v1 battles instead of the more dynamic 2v2
* Wary of Dynamax but it'll work a lot better than Megas or Z-Moves at least (and they got rid of those two which help)
* Wary that they're introducing a lot more one-off special moves/abilities that will probably cause a lot of headache in the future. Was hoping that the culling was meant to provide a more stable foundation to work off of but I guess if use a different subset every game moving forward it's not as big an issue
2v2 is confirmed

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
Probably threads that desperately search for complains about a unreleased game. How negative can someone be?

Anyway... the game should be fully open world.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
its embarrassing that the game looks like garbage and has awful animations after such a long dev cycle
Well I don't think it looks like "garbage". Nor do I think it has "awful animations". Some aren't great, but others are fantastic, but yeah let's go to hyperbole
We don't know how many Pokémon are cut. Stop saying things as absolute when they're not.

We also don't know if it's a blatant lie. Game developers have explained what they think happened (which involves needing to redo parts of the models) and I have had it confirmed from TPCi that things had to be redone. However, what people fail to realise is there's more to the model than just the damn wireframe. I've seen people actually try to correct actual game developers about this because they're so intent on the "Game Freak suck" narrative. Can you imagine that? Trying to correct game developers on how things work in game development?

Unless you're a game developer or are well within the industry, please stop stating things as absolutes. It's not a "blatant lie", it's a "I suspect it's a lie"/"I think they're lying". Thinking isn't knowing. You don't KNOW it is a lie.

I'm not moving goalposts, I'm just trying to stop BS being spread

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
You know they don't need to "focus" on delivering scale Pokémon. The models are actually natively to scale.
EC6O1V7WkAEjU6G.jpg

They employ a scaling engine to scale Pokémon down in battle. This existed in X & Y, Sun & Moon and even Let's Go (despite people insisting otherwise. Check this Mewtwo example.
EC6O5bdXYAIwRcp.jpg
EC6O5aeXYAE6h44.jpg

And USUM for comparison
191.jpg

And this Melmetal example
257.jpg
DqRpNveWwAAb6Dm

I believe that this is to make sure that ALL Pokémon can be seen at a glance in battle. As the Switch has a bigger screen, they were able to adapt this so they were closer to scale, but still needed to have some engine in place to make them match. Pokémon Camp/Refresh use the battle engine to have interactions so they too have the similar scale

Technically, it's more work for them to do this. However, they seemingly chose to for a reason. You may not like it, but don't act like it's something done out of incompetence.
It's maddening how people will keep resorting to bullshit hyperbole or downright lying. They see counterpoints like these and just call you a shill or whatever.
It's especially stupid that we constantly get complaints about things that they are already doing by people who don't even bother to check before posting. The fanbase is at an all-time low point. Then even when the games release to astounding critical and commercial success they just say it's because everyone apparently has no standards when it comes to Pokémon despite the spin offs they like so much always reviewing poorly and selling even worse. Smfh.

TyraZaurus

Nov 6, 2017
These threads continue to have serious issues with spreading misinformation, inaccuracies, misconceptions brought on by lack of paying attention, outright lying, and "lazy dev"-style rhetoric that would have been shot down by the mods in discussions for literally any other franchise.

The fact that this is still going on is appalling.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
The amount of Pokémon getting cut, not matter how big or small it might be. It cripples the breadth of options available for pvp, and the role-playing elements of the game as well.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest issue is probably that the maps we have seen are not truly open world yet. Seems like only a few areas will be relatively open and the main point of these is to catch the wild Pokemon actually roaming around.

Maybe in the next title they won't find the need to only have certain areas be truly open and opt to have more of it that way.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
They all sort of feed into each other, but if I had to break it down to one thing, it would be that the game looks like it hasn't had a long enough development cycle. I wish Game Freak would delay it like two years and then develop the Pokemon game of our dreams instead.

GoldStarz

Oct 25, 2017
AAA levels of popularity and profit warrants a AAA budget. Especially now that Nintendo has started to position the games as their big holiday titles, there is no excuse for them to look so low rent compared to the rest of Switch's first party output. It's time to adapt.
I don't really agree with that mindset, to be honest. It honestly feels like fallacious thinking to say that just because something makes money you have to keep upscaling it. Pokemon is fine as a AA game, if anything the recent problems people are having with the series (namely, cutting Pokemon) is due to them pushing out to become more like a AAA title.

Also, Pokemon has been releasing in that November slot for like the past 5 of the 6 years we've had simultaneous releases (XY was released a month prior in mid-October). This release window isn't anything new for the series at all.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I don't really agree with that mindset, to be honest. It honestly feels like fallacious thinking to say that just because something makes money you have to keep upscaling it. Pokemon is fine as a AA game, if anything the recent problems people are having with the series (namely, cutting Pokemon) is due to them pushing out to become more like a AAA title.

Also, Pokemon has been releasing in that November slot for like the past 5 of the 6 years we've had simultaneous releases (XY was released a month prior in mid-October). This release window isn't anything new for the series at all.
And like I said, we know development has been on for 3 years at the very least.

Heck, I think a lot of people still don't realise the scope of Pokémon and the amount of work that needs doing. Most games just use human characters so have the same basic model animation structure, there's only so much to do. Here, we have over 1000 different shaped creatures all with different appendages needing unique animations.

Imagine in the animation rigs broke when porting the models over to the new engine (which does happen according to various devs who have spoken up here and other places about this). You'd need to rerig the models and then test every single animation, sometimes needing to rerecord the animation. Think of the scope.

Most people complaining don't.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Background art being bland. Their overworld is very flat from both an art direction and technical standpoint.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA

They don't *have* to pump more money into development just because Pokemon makes a ton of money, of course not. It's disappointing that they haven't. It's obvious that they have struggled with the move to HD on the Switch. They needed to grow the team more, or spend more on outsourcing work, but they didn't. We do need to move on from that though. Nothing is going to change for these games at this point. Hopefully they will learn from that struggle and do better for the next set of games.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
They don't *have* to pump more money into development just because Pokemon makes a ton of money, of course not. It's disappointing that they haven't. It's obvious that they have struggled with the move to HD on the Switch. They needed to grow the team more, or spend more on outsourcing work, but they didn't. We do need to move on from that though. Nothing is going to change for these games at this point. Hopefully they will learn from that struggle and do better for the next set of games.
Let's not make assumptions here.

For one, don't forget that despite Game Freak only having 100 staff at the time, over 500 people worked on Pokémon Sun & Moon. I expect similar or higher numbers for Sword & Shield. Game Freak frequently expand and outsource. Don't let the narrative flowing through the Internet by misinformed youtubers mislead you.