• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
FF15 and MGS5 what were they thinking. Both devs had a formula that worked why change it?

May 15, 2019
Astral Chain taught me even with my favorite devs I should probably do a little research before blindly buying. Did not expect a Platinum game to have such simple combat.

Oct 25, 2017
State of Emergency.

It was not the GTA3 equal I expected. I was in high school at the time and didn't have much money to buy games. Bought if day one for £40-45. Played it for maybe an hour before selling it years later for a couple of quid.

I've bought other games since then that I've regretted, but I've been good at selling them pretty quick with no real loss. State of Emergency was this worthless thing in my possession for so long, back when getting a new game was a rare occurrence.

joffocakes

Nov 15, 2017
Absolutely Turok 2. It had gotten some excellent reviews so I was very much looking forward to it. It was more expensive than other N64 games too, I think I paid around £60 for it while working a job that paid £2.20 an hour so had to stubbornly persist with it.

More recently I picked up SNK Heroines on Switch and traded it back in the following day. Very disappointed in the fact it had a block button as well as no crouching attacks. Not much to actually do it it either.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 1
Dragon Age 2

Persona 5 and Nioh were also disappointments, though I went back and appreciated them later.

Ozzie666

Banned
Aug 1, 2018
When I got my PS4 at launch I picked up Madden. It got very little play. I avoided most EA games up until last year and got Madden again, the newest version. I returned it within an hour, that is including driving time.

Matush

Oct 25, 2017
Slovakia
Most likely Mafia 3. Such a broken and boring game. From the games that I reviewed for our site, it was definitely Fallout 76.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
For me, it's gotta be Ni No Kuni 2. I loved the original a lot so I was confident the game would scratch and itch for me, but 10 hours in I realized the game was wasting my time in an interlocking set of annoying ways. The story was extremely flat and had no interest in developing characters, battles were so simple I felt like I was cutting butter with a lightsaber.

What game do you most regret paying full price or even deluxe edition for on DAY ONE ?

One and done OP.
One of my top disappointments this generation.
NnK2 is just bad.
I felt double guilty as I used a gift card that I got on my B-day.

There's a few early gen games (Destiny, DA:I, FO4, SW Battlefront) that I caved in on D1 because of lack of games and thirst back then, but now wouldn't touch over 20$ deals.

AustarusIV

Jan 8, 2019
The South Park RPG Fractured But Whole. Loved the first game to pieces, but the sequel was a bug-addled, game-crashing mess that I spent more time attempting to fix rather than playing, and it wasn't even that funny.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Recently Xenoblade 2, since I'm waiting for so much from Monoliith that it was hard to swallow.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Luckily it was a purchase made with friends, yet 100% it has been the Super NES port of Fatal Fury 2. That was quite painful.

Also, I paid quite a bit of money for an import copy of Hoshigami on PlayStation ("The new Final Fantasy Tactics!"). It was really bad...

flattie

Nov 5, 2017
Croc for the Sega Saturn. I traded in Sonic R, Nights and Duke Nukem 3D to buy that, suckered by the promise of a Saturn 3D platformer. It was a double-smash; immediately disappointed by the quality of the game while simultaneously having given up three classics for the privilege. It was a choice I had to live with due to being a scummy teenager with no disposable income.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Dragon Age: Inquisition. Their bloody Frostbite engine isn't made for these kind of games and I got constant DirectX Error crashes, something I only encountered in my early gaming days in the 90s, but somehow they managed to do that and the Error thread on the official technical support board was 40 odd pages long only two weeks after its release.

In the end I dropped the game after effectively two hours and by the time they got their shit fixed I already moved on. I have tried it a couple of times but I never stuck to it, the initial hype and motivation was gone and it remains as one of the most disappointing releases (I've paid full price for... for nothing, ultimately). That was the day I've decided to buy only at discounts and not ever again 59,99 (or 49,99 back then) again for a game day one.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
i think this gen it was either Fallout 4 or my actual accidental purchase of Ghost Recon Wildlands, which to be fair I played a good bit off but always hated that I accidentally let an order lapse lmao

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Bloodstained on Switch; River City Girls on Switch. Both had bad technical performance and I had prioritized the potential for handheld play by going with the Switch versions, and mistakenly assumed that both games would be just fine on Switch hardware. I later got them both for other platforms and enjoyed them.

With Dark Souls 2, I was initially really disappointed in the visual downgrade, got over that, and then came to not really enjoy the game at all. I had bought the game on day 1 for both PC and PS3 — since at the time, my friends had very much broken into Dark Souls and they were split between PC and PS4. I was wary that the PC version was gonna be bad, which it thankfully wasn't anywhere near as bad as Dark Souls 1 PC at the time. But, I just didn't really enjoy the game so my double dip felt regretful, and I would have been disappointed even if I had bought just 1 version.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania : Lord of Shadows

So hyped for the reboot and then it ended up a boring, third rate god of war clone. Put time into it on day one, suffered through some awful fixed camera section with spiders before coming to a sudden realisation that I'd had zero fun and then turned it off and never played it again, still hurts. :(

Last edited:

Moose the Fattest Cat

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 15, 2017
1-2 Switch... should've been a pack-in demo. What a dud.

It's a stinker as a party game too (in my experience). Overcooked beat it out for that party game role. Everyone, even basically at launch, like "wait you have Mario Kart? no yeah lets just do that"

Edit -- Actually I forgot my 8 y/o nephew did really like 1-2 Switch so idk.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII. I had the Japanese version, before any impressions were out. I couldn't believe how linear it was, and how automated the battle system. Played it to completion but hated almost everything about it.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
none in recent memory. games that i ended up feeling disappointed with took a while to reach that point.

the big one for me was Mario's Time Machine as a kid. kid me as too innocent and was really expecting something insane out of a Mario game with time travel in it (one of my favorite movie series at that point was the Back to the Future trilogy).

let's just say this was a combo of learning what was licensed software, what was edutainment software, what was shovelware (my only games before this were SMW and SM All Stars) and what it meant to not look up information of a game before buying one all rolled up as a birthday present that i specifically asked my parents to get for me.

this really did a number on me since it wasn't that long after that that i was already looking up which devs made which Mario game and looking up information for any new game i came across, not to mention that i banned anyone from gifting me games and that i'd rather get the money or clothes or go myself pick the game after i knew what i was getting into.

Wariobenotware

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 2, 2020
MGS4. It was bad enough as a game but buying the PS3 for it back in 2008 hurt even more.

Besides that there were plenty of other ones that are very close to MGS4 in terms of disappointment but i think MGS4 seals it. What a shite "game"

Loneck

Feb 26, 2018
MGS V - Day One Edition

Repetitive, mother base mode had no place in MGS game, changed voice actors were worse, story not interesting, side kicks not needed. Ground Zeroes was actually better game because it was not open world. I liked the FOX engine and it was 60fps.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Persona 5. I wont expand on it that much because I dont like arguing about why I did not like it.

But I didnt and was very excited for it. It just disappointed me on all levels except style. Its now the game I view as the perfect example for "style over substance".

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
Mario Kart 64.

I was lukewarm on Nintendo at the time and after I finished a few circuits in an hour, the game felt hollow and empty. I soon traded my N64 for a PSX.

Now I'd give anything to have an N64 again, ha!

Guru_Godzilla

Jul 10, 2018
No mans sky. It's better now of course but damn. Close second is Red Dead Redemption 2. I should have just waited for a sale.

.hacked

Dec 10, 2017
Extinction

Big fan of Iron Galaxy and snagged this one day one, so disappointed (and way before MS was offering refunds on digital games). To this day only game I own on Xbox that I have "hidden" so I never see it in my library.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Diablo 3. It was a pretty bad game (and a terrible Diablo game) until RoS came out...so it took years. Oh, and it didn't work for multiple days on launch. The auction house was fucking abysmal, and the loss of old Battle.net (or its functionality) killed my faith in Blizzard games. RoS wasn't enough to restore it, even if it was a big improvement.

Last edited:

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
In pretty short succession I remember buying Lego Avengers, Street Fighter 5, and Star Wars Battlefront all at launch. That pretty much soured me on AAA games for quite a while, and even now it is rare that I pay $60 for any game since everything gets discounted so quickly.

Oghuz

Oct 27, 2017
Mafia 3. I was really looking forward to this and it ended up being everything I hate about open world games. SIgh.

Nov 4, 2017
Metal Gear Survive

No comment. :D
We had a grad at work who had just left a job at EB right after that game came out. He told me he felt so much guilt every time somebody came in to buy that game hoping for more MGSV. He obviously wasn't allowed to warn people it was shit, but would try to gently nudge people into buying almost *anything* else.