• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite "Falling Block" Game or Series?

• Tetris

Votes: 126 59.4%
  • Puyo Puyo

Votes: 14 6.6%
  • Columns

Votes: 8 3.8%
  • Lumines

Votes: 22 10.4%
  • Meteos

Votes: 17 8.0%
  • Dr. Mario

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Other

Votes: 19 9.0%

• Total voters

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Tetris is the archetypal game in this genre. It's probably one of my favorite game genres, FWIW. Simple and easy to grasp, but the genre has tons of depth. Plus, you play them just about anywhere.

I'm still going with Lumines, since it doesn't seem to rely too much on one fucking type of piece (god damn line block). Plus, there is an emphasis on music and visuals, without seemingly like its compromising on game play. I love Tetris, but I never got into it like Lumines, which I can play forever.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I think Lumines takes the crown for me. Simply love the blend of music and mechanics.

I do have a weak spot for Columns, given the many, MANY hours I played on my Game Gear back in the day

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Like Tetris is the creator, Meteos is amazing, but Lumines is my go to because of uts combo system, music and skins

Now if we were talking about rising block puzzle games....

Xeteh

Oct 27, 2017
My gut says Tetris, my heart says Lumines.

I probably played the first Lumines more than any installment of Tetris.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Columns. On many an occasion would the Mega Drive be set up just so two of the family could face off.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Panel de Pon / Puzzle League for me, Puyo Puyo is second.
I just wish Nintendo would put more importance to their puzzle games.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Was going to say Panel de Pon but realized that's not what you're asking. So Tetris easily. I like Meteos, Lumines, and Puyo Puyo (thought I'm god awful at that one) but Tetris is so far ahead of the others it's no contest.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
i'm bad at it but i enjoy playing puyo puyo games
had my fun with tetris 99 but dont consider myself a fan. columns and meteo were ok, doctor mario sucked

gar3

Oct 25, 2017
New Cumberland, PA USA
Obviously love Tetris but my friends and I absolutely enjoyed playing Cleopatra Fortune on Dreamcast back in the day. Before that we were all about Baku Baku on SEGA Saturn, heh.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Tetris. But it's not a love, just more of a like.

Never got the Tetris Effect. I mean, the psychological effect, not the game.

I mean, I got the game, Tetris Effect. It's a pretty good version. OST bops.

Check that, I do get Tetris Effect, just not for Tetris, but for Beat Saber.

KentP

Oct 28, 2017
I really liked Super Puzzle Fighter II

Also, they weren't quite the same and so I guess don't count, but Puzznic, Plotting and Palamedes (the three P's!) from Taito were also all great

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
It's always been Tetris, and watching the CTWC events over the past couple of years has given me an appreciation for the game I never had before. It's not only my favorite puzzle game, it's now my favorite esport.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
Is liking almost all of them, save Lumines and Meteos okay?
I do really like Tetris as well as Dr Mario and both SEGA takes on it (Puyo Puyo and Columns).

they're really fun and quite relaxing at times, especially the ever more awesome AOSTH-themed Dr Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine!

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The thing with Tetris for me is the various incarnations. There are so many different ways to play it, be it Tetris 99, original vanilla, Tetris Battle Gaiden, etc... so many good tweaks to a proven formula.

Ooh, Baku Baku, that's a good one I'd forgotten. Man, I really do love block puzzle games. What a great genre.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Any fans of Wario's Woods on SNES? I voted Tetris, but Wario's Woods is very unique.

Does Panel de Pon / Puzzle League count? It's basically the same genre as all the puzzle games you talk about, since it's also a matching game. Instead of the blocks falling, they rise from the bottom. Garbage blocks fall from the top though.

Oct 26, 2017
Panel de Pon/Pokemon Puzzle League specifically. Tetris is also a fantastic game, but Panel de Pon's style has much more character, espesially in Pokemon Puzzle League. Also the soundtrack in Pokemon was beautifally adapted from the anime dub. I wish we had a GameCube sequel based on the Johto era, but that went to GBC instead and I didn't have much interest in that one sadly. :(

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
BROKEN RECORD MODE ACTIVATED:
Puyo Puyo is nearly unmatched in terms of raw skill ceiling.
In terms of characters, humor, music and aesthetic, barring Lumines(in which audiovisual sensation is its entire point), Puyo Puyo is still the best.

Almost none of these other puzzlers would exist without Puyo Puyo.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
I voted Tetris because, well it is Tetris, but Meteos is god-tier and I'm glad people haven't forgotten about it

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Does Intelligent Qube count? The blocks fall off at the end. If so, then that. Otherwise Lumines.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Tetris really is the goat. Loved Dr. Mario too. Played it loads on a friend's Game Boy back in the Day. This was years ago but I was going to buy Puyo Puyo but it was sold out in Play-Asia at the time. Kinda forgot about it.

Hard for me to grasp what do we mean by "falling blocks". If I had to interpret I'd say Hexic fits the bill. It's from the maker of Tetris I think. But it's not directly injecting falling blocks into place. It's more about rotating, combining and then falling blocks. It's kinda there but maybe not enough.

XaosWolf

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Eggo Mania

Seriously though its Tetris. Its as close as we have gotten to a perfect game and as close as we have to a real life fast-forward button.
I really want a sequel to Puyo Puyo Tetris though so I can dig more into Puyo Puyo whilst having Tetris there as a fallback.

Columns is great but I was never any good at it. Most of the shit I pulled off there was accidental diagonals.