• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jul 4, 2018
Game of Thrones: Battle of the Bastards
battle-of-bastards.jpg
And the saddest stuff I've ever seen in a comedy cartoon:

Jurassic Bark

Both of these.

Also The Clone Wars episode The Wrong Jedi, that Ashoka-Anakin moment was heartbreaking.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Twilight Zone - The Invaders

The New Outer Limits - The Quality of Mercy

The X Files - Darkness Falls

Star Trek TNG - All Good Things

Star Trek DS9 - In the Pale Moonlight

Babylon 5 - The Fall of Night

Battlestar Galactica - The Hand of God

House MD - Three Stories

Fringe - Peter

Game of Thrones - Battle of the Bastards

I love the New Outer Limits... don't see it mentioned much. The Quality of Mercy is fantastic.

Deleted member 19782

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bojack Horseman Season 4, Episode 11: Time's Arrow

uploads%252Fcard%252Fimage%252F600315%252F2cc48e52-021b-42ba-825a-1baa85233f04.jpg%252F950x534__filters%253Aquality%252890%2529.jpg

I genuinely cried a lot. This episode is my favorite one so far.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
FoolishBlaringIndianjackal-size_restricted.gif

Martin vs Hitman Hearns. The charity fight at the beginning always gets me, "You don't get it! You just don't get it!!!!"

Spongebob's procrastination episode will forever be relevant and accurate throughout all eternity.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
The Spoils - Rome

kvUgB52.jpg

This is the infamous 'Thirteen!' episode with the crazy gladiator battle. It also has probably the most important conversation between Brutus and Caesar, and a lot of other doings. The best ep of the series imo.

Rome needs more attention.

CallMeShaft

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of ones that pop into my head. Remedial Chaos Theory from Community. The Trolley Problem from The Good Place. Ozymandias in Breaking Bad.

But Agents of Shield's Self Control is the first thing that comes to mind when I think of my favorite TV episode, so I might as well stick with it. Just a hugely rewarding hour of TV for those who've stuck with the show. The acting was fantastic (here's looking at you Ian!), the twists were twisty, and the pacing was going a mile a minute. I love that episode so much that I've watched countless Youtubers react to the episode, just to live vicariously through them watching it all unfold for the first time.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
Breaking Bad - Ozymandias
Better Call Saul - Chicanery
The Walking Dead - Too Far Gone
The Simpsons - Homer's Enemy
South Park - Casa Bonita
Curb Your Enthusiasm - The Black Swan
It's Always Sunny - The Gang Solves the Gas Crisis
Seinfeld - The Opposite
The Wire - Middle ground (if only for that opening 5 minutes)

Manbig

Oct 26, 2017
Middle Ground from The Wire easily.

Some honorable mentions though:

Boondocks - The Garden Party
Xena: Warrior Princess - Been There, Done That
Married With Children - You Better Shop Around: Part 1 and 2

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I have 4 that come to mind:

The Simpsons - Homer Goes to College
Seinfeld - Kenny Rogers Roasters
Malcolm in the Middle - Book Club
Police Squad! - A Substantial Gift (Thr Broken Promise)

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
My nominees:

Drama: "The Tales of Ba Sing Se", Avatar: The Last Airbender (2006)
[Runner-up: "Bust Through the Heavens with Your Drill!", Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (2007)]

Comedy: "Pilot", Rick and Morty (2013)
[Runner-up: "Live with the Flow, Baby", Space Dandy (2014)]

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
I'm not certain which episode of Scrubs it is, but it's an episode of Scrubs

maybe My Screw Up

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
The quiz show episode of Friends would be way up there. The episode of Friends where Joey forces Chandler to repent for kissing his girlfriend, and makes him stay in a box, is also right there.

Same with The Contest from Seinfeld.

But Six Feet Under is my favourite show.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
The series finale of The Leftovers is not only one of the best series finales I can think of, it has to be one of the best TV episodes ever

perfect score, absolutely heart-wrenching moments, keeps you guessing the entire time, reveals long awaited information, but still makes you question if it was real or not

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's a tough one,
O0aen6O.jpg

The Luck of the Fryrish episode or...

7Y7hN2W.gif

Jurassic Bark.

Both amazing episodes that showed how strong the writing and storytelling could be for a normally comedy focused animated show, they were so emotionally poignant and Luck of the Fryrish has the best use of "Don't You Forget About Me" to ever be used in any movie/tv show.

Also have to get a mention to The Leftovers - International Assassin episode, one of the finest episodes to a great tv series and Ep 8 of the Twin Peaks Returns, that episode was so damn riveting from beginning to end and you will literally NEVER see anything like it on tv.

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
The series finale of The Leftovers is not only one of the best series finales I can think of, it has to be one of the best TV episodes ever

perfect score, absolutely heart-wrenching moments, keeps you guessing the entire time, reveals long awaited information, but still makes you question if it was real or not

Yes! Having recently watched The Leftovers, I can honestly say it's one of the greatest shows of all time.

Although if I was going to go on individual episodes:
G'Day Melbourne. (I'll never listen to Take on Me the same way again)
Don't be Ridiculous (Perfect Strangers was my favourite show as a kid, so this was just...perfect)
Homeword Bound (That karaoke scene, wow)

And things that aren't from The Leftovers:
Lost - The Constant, Through the Looking Glass
Battlestar Galactica - 33, Pegasus, Exodus
Star Trek Deep Space Nine - In the Pale Moonlight, Far Beyond the Stars, The Vistor (I really need to do a rewatch)
Babylon 5 - The Decontruction of Falling Stars, Sleeping in Light

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
TZ - Monsters are due on maple street
Sunny in Philly - Underage Drinking
BM - San Junipero
Office - Dinner Party
Xfiles - Home

NekoFever

Oct 25, 2017
Doctor Who - Blink
Firefly - Out of Gas
Band of Brothers - Bastogne (although there are 4-5 episodes of that in the running here)
Frasier - The Matchmaker

it-crowd-moss.png

1200.jpg

I've never even laughed half as much during any other TV show episode than I did during this one.
I saw this for the first time recently and nearly died of laughter. Just layer after layer of "oh god no".

Tanerian

Feb 24, 2018
"Time did reverse. The tea cup that I shattered did come together. The place was made for Abigail in your world. You understand? That place was made for all of us. Together. I wanted to surprise you. And you...you wanted to surprise me. I let you know me. See me. I gave you a rare gift. But you didn't want it."

c84c4d706c07e87b3982912128ec89f0.gif

tumblr_n600uzlJJt1rvs9wso1_500.gif

It's not my favorite show, though it's great, and if you removed the last 10 minutes of the episode I would not be posting it here. But the Finale of Hannibal season 2 is some of the most powerful television I've seen.

Runner up is probably Ozymandias from BrBa

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Dekalog: Four

dek.jpg

In reality, Kieslowski doesn't consider Dekalog a TV show, he claimed it was a film cycle, it just happens to consist of ten one hour long films that were broadcast on TV. I disagree with the logic, but I'd should at least acknowledge his perspective, since he made it.

The episode centres on the various forms love takes, and the complexities of lust. What defines a parent, what defines a daughter, etc. It's a very provocative episode, in a show that is exclusively about provoking its audience. Obviously with Game of Thrones widely depicting incestuous relationships, I'm not sure the episode would quite be as impactful today, but to see that topic handled artfully is still something truly disturbing, but impossible to look away from.

And if you think Kieslowski is right, that it's a film, not an episode of TV, then the best is the coma double episode of The Sopranos, and if you don't think double episodes should count, then it's The Suitcase, from Mad Men.

HenrySwanson

Nov 23, 2017
The Shield - Family Meeting.

Honourable mentions go to Postpartum and Possible Kill Screen (also The Shield), Crawl Space and Ozymandias (Breaking Bad), Bastoge (Band of Brothers) and International Assassin (The Leftovers).
It's easily Family Meeting for me.

Mad Men is my favourite series but nothing compares to the impact of that episode. The acting in that final scene has stuck with me to this day.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK

Amazing season of an amazing show, but for me it would be either The Thing in The Pit or Party Favors.

God, it's so hard to pick just one, so I'll list a bunch in no particular order.

Utopia Season 2 Episode 1:
A flashback with a unique format spin, this episode is insanely thematically dense and has so much to unravel and uncover in just under an hour. The whole show is worth watching, but this episode might be one of the best ever.

Hannibal Season 2 Finale:
Arguably the best episode of the entire show, and maybe one of the best TV episodes of all time. Literally every plot thread up to this point is circled back on and addressed in a labyrinthine, climactic sequence of events that looks back on itself. Genuinely goddamn incredible.

Hannibal Season 3 Finale:
An episode shorter than normal that still manages to feel packed and satisfying. The dialogue is incredible.

The Haunting of Hill House Episode 6:
After all of the kids get their episodes it's finally time for a family reunion and an episode focused mainly on dad. It doesn't hurt that it's the most beautifully shot episode of the show, and the final building block before the series begins to tumble its house of cards in preparation for the finale. A joy to watch.

There are all the ones I could think of off the top of my head, but I highly suggest watching all of these shows if you haven't!

Excellent chocies. Utopia is an absolute treasure and I'm not sure I've seen its like since.

The Haunting of Hill House was excellent, especially leading up to this episode. It's an incredible one-shot tying together all the threads we've bene introduced to, is genuinely creepy and really nails the family drama. Loved it, highlight of the show.

"Time did reverse. The tea cup that I shattered did come together. The place was made for Abigail in your world. You understand? That place was made for all of us. Together. I wanted to surprise you. And you...you wanted to surprise me. I let you know me. See me. I gave you a rare gift. But you didn't want it."

It's not my favorite show, though it's great, and if you removed the last 10 minutes of the episode I would not be posting it here. But the Finale of Hannibal season 2 is some of the most powerful television I've seen.

Probably my overall choice.

It was absolutely devastating. Few times have I been hit as heavily by a TV show as this episode. Especially the way it tied into the first episode. You knew it was coming, you knew it was going to kick off, but you were not ready.

I wasn't as enamoured with season 3 but this finale was damn near perfect.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Hannibal Season 2 finale: Mizumono.

At the heart of this show is a thundering engine of character-driven drama. It powers the whole thing, keeping the high-flown dialogue and flamboyant imagery grounded in something real. Hannibal doesn't just get away with its extravagant presentation--its epic clash of wills calls for the florid visual symbolism.

Mizumono is one of the most tense, electrifying, and brutal climaxes to one of the most consistently great seasons of TV I've ever seen. It set a new bar if you ask me. Shows just aren't this daring as a rule.

Edit: Yay, glad I'm not the first to mention this.

Gloam

Oct 29, 2017
The Bizarro Jerry is probably my facourite Seinfeld episode.

The episode of Oz where Adebisi possesses Said is up there as well.

The season 2 finale of Fargo sticks in my mind too.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
The finale to Lost season 4. Incredibly emotional, tense, and exciting. The next two seasons were rather large let downs, but they don't detract from what came before.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
People who just post an image without a episode title please stop we haven't ALL seen every TV show under the sun, there are no so many

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
how on earth can i pick just one op, smh

Futurama - Luck of the Fryish
Lost - Walkabout.

That episode made me realise what a special show we had before us. The Locke flashbacks are character building at their finest and the wheelchair revelation blew my mind.
These are the two that came to mind. Both are kind of similar in structure and set-up. It's a series of misunderstandings that builds up to a twist that re-contextualises the entire episode. Both hold up amazingly well even when you know the twist, and really amount to something warm and hopeful. Walkabout goes another step further though, and also re-contextualises the opening of the series too. What used to be a horrific plane crash, turns into a beautiful second chance for someone that's been written off.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Spoils - Rome

kvUgB52.jpg

This is the infamous 'Thirteen!' episode with the crazy gladiator battle. It also has probably the most important conversation between Brutus and Caesar, and a lot of other doings. The best ep of the series imo.

Rome needs more attention.

If we're talking Rome I think I'd go with De Patre Vostro. Season 2 was a big step down, but James Purefoy as Marc Antony might be the best performance of the series, and watching him and Cleopatra falling apart as the walls close in is peak Rome.

God, what I would give for a full third season that showed the Octavian/Antony conflict with the attention it deserved.

Solo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This would have been the greatest series finale in television history had they stopped there. Unfortunately, they did not.....