• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The Batman Who Laughs aka’ BATLOL

• Best Batman ever

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I hate him

Votes: 106 44.2%
  • Whatever/Don’t care/Indifferent

Votes: 104 43.3%

• Total voters

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
So, this creation straight from 90s drug fueled edgy nightmare is one of the main pillars for DC comics nowadays, bordering on absolute parody, except it is dead serious (evil Robins called GROBLINS, are you shitting me).

For some reason Batman with Joker's insanity is apparently enough to become a literal god, I guess? While he is insanely popular, how do you feel about him?

For me it is truly some bizzare time continuum screw up, a comic from the 90s landed in recent times.
batman-the-batman-who-laughs-i83403.jpg

Ashrak

It's way too edgy for my taste. It could be an offspring from Tetsuya Nomura (does anyone here remember his horrible, horrible Batman-Draft?) and now, they keep pouring power ups into his ass, like Marvel does it with Thanos who recently have absorbed One-Above-All.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A dumb idea that stuck around way too long and became the Super Saiyan 3 of dumb.

y2kyle89

Mar 16, 2018
Mass
I feel like he's everywhere because he's from a recent storyline? Admittly passage of time is kind of fucked right now but if he's still being pushed ~5 years from now my indifference will turn to hate.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I was ok for one storyline - Metal.

Now he's just inexplicably still here and in everything. I don't get it. It's dumb.

blanton

alt account
Banned
Jul 28, 2020
If the whole concept hadn't been intentionally treated with an over the top attitude, I would hate it. I don't love it either but I can see where Snyder and Capullo are having fun trying to outdo themselves with the ridiculousness. The character has definitely moved merch and comic sales though so some people must find him interesting.

Comics are silly.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He was a cool take on a concept that's roughly as popular as evil Superman (Batman becoming Joker) but I think he's starting to overstay his welcome.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
He's one of the rare recent villains that stuck, so I'm not surprised they're going back to him again and again (yeah, he's an alt Batman/Joker, but alt universe versions rarely actually turn out to be popular). I'm not a fan of him getting cosmic powers, but I do hope after Death Metal ends he is scaled back but still appears occasionally.

It's kind of hard to vote in this poll though because it's just as silly as Death Metal.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
The funny thing is before I read the contents of your post my first thought was 90s and grimdark.

He's worse now in more recent comics btw. He's now called The Darkest Knight.

His minions put his brain into the body of Dr Manhattan, so now he has Manhattan's powers.
MPSQxd2.jpg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
DC has a problem in that it became at one point "The batman company" and their product began centering Batman and his associated IP to an absurd degree over everything else, because that's the sales loop they seem to have locked themselves into.

This is the end result of DC running out of ideas and making the most ridiculous Batman-centric storyline possible then running it into the ground further because they're short of options. Evil Batman is Dr. Manhattan now because of course he is.

It's sad, unfortunate, and ridiculous and DC comics deserves better than whoever is mismanaging their IP.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
DC has a problem in that it became at one point "The batman company" and their product began centering Batman and his associated IP to an absurd degree over everything else, because that's the sales loop they seem to have locked themselves into.

This is the end result of DC running out of ideas and making the most ridiculous Batman-centric storyline possible then running it into the ground further because they're short of options. Evil Batman is Dr. Manhattan now because of course he is.

It's sad, unfortunate, and ridiculous and DC comics deserves better than whoever is mismanaging their IP.
All this right here, they don't trust their own IPs

Tragicomedy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Metal was the last DC run I read. It was a mess. This dude is still in the mainline continuity? LOL.

AbsoluteZ3R0

Feb 5, 2019
Liked him when they first introduced him but after dc started putting him every single story; I hate him now.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
We call him Batman who LMAOs or LMAOman in the comic thread. He's overused and not a very creative character given the amount of exposure he got in the first place. He's just "What if Batman was also The Joker??" which is fine for some fun in one story, but they're really milking it. His design isn't awful, because he's just Judge Death from 2000AD plus Batman, but again, not very creative.
5a716a6a1a00b830b4efc94ca9caf8243335eb36r1-1200-1200v2_uhq.jpg

There are worse characters, but I'd still like him to die and never come back.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
He was boring when he debuted and things only got worse as they proceeded to run him into the ground.

Oct 27, 2017
Columbus, OH
I think mash-up characters like this are pretty creatively-bankrupt. I also disliked when Marvel did a cross-over where everyone was Hulks. It feels hokey and insular and I'd much rather see influence come from anywhere else in culture than slamming two popular ideas together.

Mr. Keith

Oct 31, 2017
I don't mind the idea behind a batman like Joker but I really hate how small these comics make the literal multiverse by making him just another Bruce Wayne from another universe.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a rip of Judge Death. And 2000AD writers knew how to hold back Judge Death enough to keep his appearances effective and the desire to see more of him at maximum.

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Overstayed. Purge him forever, please. Or at least send him and his variants back to the Dark Multiverse and lock them there with no way of returning.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

This sums it up, along with the fact he feels like a rejected 90's character. And if your idea is one that is too over the top with edgy grimdark shit for the 90's, focusing publishing on it in 2020 probably isn't the best of ideas.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
We call him Batman who LMAOs or LMAOman in the comic thread. He's overused and not a very creative character given the amount of exposure he got in the first place. He's just "What if Batman was also The Joker??" which is fine for some fun in one story, but they're really milking it. His design isn't awful, because he's just Judge Death from 2000AD plus Batman, but again, not very creative.
5a716a6a1a00b830b4efc94ca9caf8243335eb36r1-1200-1200v2_uhq.jpg

There are worse characters, but I'd still like him to die and never come back.

I'm so stupid how did I never realize this.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
They are running the idea into the ground. DC has two major problems right now:

1. Too many Batman comics. And non-Batman comics that deserve more attention aren't getting the exposure they deserve (*cough* Far Sector *cough*)

2. Sticking Watchmen into everything.

Jodez99

Jan 1, 2018
Reminds me of the Maker in Marvel. Was awesome under Hickman's Ultimate comics but they just had to bring him over to 616

PopQuiz

Dec 11, 2017
When I first heard of him, I was like "Oh, it's like Superior Spider-Man but even edgier."

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Reminds me of the Maker in Marvel. Was awesome under Hickman's Ultimate comics but they just had to bring him over to 616

To be fair they have used the Maker sparingly so he doesn't feel overexposed at al. Al Ewing used him in All New Avengers and The Ultimates and now Donny Cates is using him in Venom. All three times have been great stories.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
A fun idea that would have been a cool thing for a single arc but of course a lot of comic readers absolutely love this shit and want him to overstay his welcome

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair they have used the Maker sparingly so he doesn't feel overexposed at al. Al Ewing used him in All New Avengers and The Ultimates and now Donny Cates is using him in Venom. All three times have been great stories.
even then I think Cates is done with him for the time being.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so sick of him already

I never been more tired of a comic character this new before

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
I liked him alot from the series that introduced him an the other batman alts. He was also interesting in that standalone. So from what ive seen of him, he's great. But from the looks of it....he's used way too much?

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Is this something from modern Batman comics? I'm not caught up at all as I kinda fell off after New 52. So, all I can say is, it looks dumb.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
even then I think Cates is done with him for the time being.
It's probably because he's not as obnoxious as LMAO but it feels Maker appears in a book to be a fun villain for a book then leaves to be a fun villain months later in another book
He's not the focus of a bunch of events that decides the fate of the fucking union with a billion contingencies and everyone talking about how cool and dangerous he is

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think he's just leaving him there for whoever's going to write that "What happened to the new Ultimate Universe" mini/arc

Yeah you're right. When he went there and Venom went to that other world I just assumed the story would alternate between them but you're probably right.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He was introduced in like 2017.

Damn, I'm that far behind!? Looks like I dropped off around issue 5 or 6 of rebirth. I don't have the patience to read monthly comics, so I pop back in every couple of years and read a fuck ton at once to catch up. Guess it's time for me to jump back in. Crazy that there are like 90 fucking issues since my last read.

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I'm that far behind!? Looks like I dropped off around issue 5 or 6 of rebirth. I don't have the patience to read monthly comics, so I pop back in every couple of years and read a fuck ton at once to catch up. Guess it's time for me to jump back in. Crazy that there are like 90 fucking issues since my last read.
Shit kind of slowed down for a little while this year for obvious reasons so probably no better time to jump back in there. I haven't checked but I'm assuming that there are a bunch of comics sales in various places on account of the fandome.