• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Roshin

Oct 30, 2017
Sweden
Maybe we are so used to being spoonfed nonsense constantly (announcements about upcoming announcements about other announcements) that we get confused when a company communicates things in a normal fashion.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's a landslide imho, yeah sure we are almost a full 12 months from release but by now i would have expected even a reactionary release of info to counter all this nice stuff Microsoft had... instead the last thing we got was a bad piece of news with them saying that they won't be at E3.
They don't need to be reactionary to microsoft at all, Microsoft is still playing catch up and still are behind Sony.
*Their
I'm not American and prefer in general Sony's offering much more than the (imho) anemic Microsoft offering.
The market is very feeble, look at the last generation and how initially Microsoft had the biggest mindshare which deteriorated the latest years and immediately lost the immediate beginning of this generation, i'm not a catastrophist and am not saying that Sony has lost/will lose all the mindshare but what i'm seeing is that for more than one year now people in general seems very happy about Microsoft and very neutral about Sony and the latter's actions aren't doing them any favors.
Then sure of course maybe by the time Febraury ends, like some rumors say, you'll see Sony firing from all cylinders and flip the whole momentum but as the 17th of January 2020 that's how i see it.
ok? but that's not how it is. Sony will show off the ps5 similar to what they did with the ps4. Some people are overreacting for little to no reason and Sony still has the mindshare.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
People still spinning around that e3 is the biggest show when is the smallest one and the one with less impact lol.

E3 is done is old, nothing lasts forever things change.

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
EMINEM_STAN-696x442.jpg

Dear Sony, I wrote you but you still ain't talking.

eminemstan.png

DEAR MISTER I'M TOO GOOD TO COMMUNICATE WITH MY FANS!!!
This is fantastic.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I agree, they have been very quiet the past two years, i wish they would show/do more to communicate with fans outside of a boring state of play every few months.

Last edited:

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
There was a lot of changes at the head of the Playstation division. It tooks time to settle.
The E3 absence message was : "We will build upon our global events strategy in 2020 by participating in hundreds of consumer events across the globe."
=> "Hundreds" is really a lot so they will go full this year. They have 2 big exclusives who took their times so they probably wait to be closer to their releases.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't think States of Play are poor, people just have insane expectations.

I'm a little tired too, last year they said they felt they lacked communication and apologize but little have changed so far.

It's probably because they're sticking to their plans and schedule but with so many rumours coming left and right it's kinda depressing being left in the wild, guessing.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
When they finally announce it I'm looking for a thread with the following..
A penello meltdown
'working man's graphics'
Kaz memes..

won't be a thread without them..

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
*Their
I'm not American and prefer in general Sony's offering much more than the (imho) anemic Microsoft offering.
The market is very feeble, look at the last generation and how initially Microsoft had the biggest mindshare which deteriorated the latest years and immediately lost the immediate beginning of this generation, i'm not a catastrophist and am not saying that Sony has lost/will lose all the mindshare but what i'm seeing is that for more than one year now people in general seems very happy about Microsoft and very neutral about Sony and the latter's actions aren't doing them any favors.
Then sure of course maybe by the time Febraury ends, like some rumors say, you'll see Sony firing from all cylinders and flip the whole momentum but as the 17th of January 2020 that's how i see it.

Microsoft lost mindshare in the last years of the Xbox 360 because their focus moved towards a more family friendly output (with Kinect), while Sony ended the generation with strong exclusives like The Last of Us. I'm sure Playstation will be fine mindshare wise this year with games like FF7 Remake, The Last of Us Part II, Ghost of Tsushima, etc.

Also, the correct expression is "firing on all cylinders".

Kyzer

Oct 25, 2017
When companies are in say less do more mode it usually means a fuckton of work is being done behind the scenes. Big reveals aren't made overnight!

May 10, 2018
The fact that Sony hasn't said anything and yet seem to dominate the conversation means they're doing something right.

Some of y'all make it seem like Sony decided not to go to E3 during the last week of May. It's fucking January. Chill out.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I do find it weird that all we have is a predictable logo. Haven't really had a Sony event to show any must see excitement. Like... with their articles or interviews on a random site or two, how would I have even know that is where Sony is dropping new info? Make an event of it. Be excited.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I do find it weird that all we have is a predictable logo. Haven't really had a Sony event to show any must see excitement. Like... with their articles or interviews on a random site or two, how would I have even know that is where Sony is dropping new info? Make an event of it. Be excited.
They'll make an event of it when they feel it's time, which clearly isn't for them yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The concern about things is really getting turned up to 11 on this forum. OP is in fantasy land right now.

Lol troll confirmed. Good news that dont interest you = neutral/bad news. Ok then
Honestly that user is one of the biggest concern trolls on this forum. Kinda get used to it

Did you not see the entire press conference dedicated to the PS5 logo reveal?
This was not a thing.

Sony's messaging has indeed been lacking compared to Microsoft's this time around.
Whether is technical information about the hardware or just hypebuzz or even a supposed roadmap it seems that in each of these categories Microsoft has the upper edge.

Let's sum it up... Microsoft in this period had:
Name and logo
Rumored roadmap/skus
New technical features (ssd and hw ray tracing)
Box design
Rumored performance values with supposed advantages to competition
Die shot of the chip
Random footage of titles supposedly in development

Sony in this period had:
Name and logo
New technical features (ssd and hw ray tracing)
Rumored performance values that are supposedly worse than the competition
You're legit trying to compare rumors while ignoring actual things, like a PS5 game being revealed almost immediately after the Series X. Also PSVR and PS4 backwards compatablity. And next gen audio. And devkit leaks.

Or how about the rumors that say the PS5 is more powerful? Or the rumors that they are so close in power its not worth talking about?

But sure, pictures of a defective chip are so monumental lol.

What is up with OP and lack of communication?
Haven't seen him here since he made this thread.
They have popped in a few times to toot their own horn some more while ignoring the facts others have provided.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
I get where OP is coming from, but aside from the big games games that were already announced the last time they were at E3 (TLOU2, GoT) there weren't/ aren't any AAA exclusives on the horizon (that haven't yet released, like Days Gone).
The Nintendo approach with the State of Plays probably generated less hype than they anticipated, I think that was their biggest intended line of communication. Add to that various changes and behind the scenes stuff we don't know about at the office side of things (whatever happened with Layden etc) and PS5 releasing in 2020, not 2019, you arrive where we are now.
I expect them starting to drum up the hype cycle for PS5 with various live shows and State of Plays in a few short weeks.

Deleted member 35204

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
People are not neutral about Sony, haven't you seem the wreck the logo caused in here and everywhere else? And, uh, Sony will only lose mindshare if they mess up badly, which will likely not happen. And, uh, why are you correcting people's spelling?
I correct people spelling because i care.
The "wreck" the logo caused was 5 minutes in the spotlight, there are no discussions created around it anymore because, to be honest, it's just a logo, even if you are totally obsessed by the brand there's not much to talk about... while all the stuff that Microsoft divulged has created buzz that is still lasting. And don't you think that having stuff like worse hardware at launch, a much weaker games subscription/streaming services are potential damage to Sony's mindshare? That's what i mean about neutral, people still like Sony of course but lately Microsoft is getting all the good news.
They don't need to be reactionary to microsoft at all, Microsoft is still playing catch up and still are behind Sony.ok? but that's not how it is. Sony will show off the ps5 similar to what they did with the ps4. Some people are overreacting for little to no reason and Sony still has the mindshare.
See above for the mindshare talk, never denied they still have it.
If you are referring to me about overreacting you'd be wrong because not only i'm far and far away from buying a next gen console but i'm already 99.9% sure of what i am buying regardless of how things go simply by the virtue of already knowing that one is getting more japanese software support and another one more westerner software support.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I get where OP is coming from, but aside from the big games games that were already announced the last time they were at E3 (TLOU2, GoT) there weren't/ aren't any AAA exclusives on the horizon (that haven't yet released, like Days Gone).
The Nintendo approach with the State of Plays probably generated less hype than they anticipated, I think that was their biggest intended line of communication. Add to that various changes and behind the scenes stuff we don't know about at the office side of things (whatever happened with Layden etc) and PS5 releasing in 2020, not 2019, you arrive where we are now.
I expect them starting to drum up the hype cycle for PS5 with various live shows and State of Plays in a few short weeks.

I believe the biggest problem are rumours, that's what driving us mad lol.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I correct people spelling because i care.
The "wreck" the logo caused was 5 minutes in the spotlight, there are no discussions created around it anymore because, to be honest, it's just a logo, even if you are totally obsessed by the brand there's not much to talk about... while all the stuff that Microsoft divulged has created buzz that is still lasting. And don't you think that having stuff like worse hardware at launch, a much weaker games subscription/streaming services are potential damage to Sony's mindshare? That's what i mean about neutral, people still like Sony of course but lately Microsoft is getting all the good news.
I'm really not seeing any buzz for the xsx rn, the buzz is about hzd PC port lol. And, no, I don't, see switch's position. It had Mario Odyssey and Zelda, which blew the competition out of the water and it's selling more and faster than ps4. It's all about software and it has always been about it. If Sony announces God of War 2/5, hzd2 and spider Man 2 and say TLOU 2 will have enhanced ps5 features, that's all they need to keep people hyped. And you shouldn't correct people, it's rude unless asked for.

Oct 29, 2017
Does anyone remember last time when they actually announced the Feb PS meeting, all I remember it was in January sometime they announced it for February 20th I believe, Jan is coming to a close soon and still no announcements for an event in Feb :(

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
pretty much what I was going to ask. Sony will start sending out the minutes memo of every internal meeting.

I get the feeling like enthusiasts demand they be continually lavished with attention; likely a bi-product of this social media driven environment and expectations of instantaneous responses.

So what if Microsoft has shown more about the XBOX? None of this "head start" will matter once BOTH consoles reveal their technical specs, price, and games. It's not like Average Joe Consumer is going to decide which console to buy based on the information available TODAY.

I again suggest everyone who is overly antsy to read this highly relevant children's book.

HandleImage.aspx

I get it -- people are excited and want more information. I'm certainly in that camp but I'm using this image as my avatar to remind myself to just wait patiently.

Deleted member 9486

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Calm before the storm.

Exactly. We've seen a lot of Dreams and a fair amount of Ghosts of Tsushima and TLOU2 (I don't want to see too much for narrative heavy games anyway) and that's their big remaining PS4 games. And it's been too early to have a PS5 blow out as they reveled the PS4 in February of launch year.

It's just the normal slow period at the end of one generation when big reveals are being held for the new console blowout event and we've already seen enough of most remaining current gen exclusives.

BestTestie

Banned
Jan 13, 2020
I agree OP. The PS5 trickle of news has been absolutely terrible. Revealing your brand new console through a casual text article has to be in the most fucking stupid marketing decisions I've seen in years. And the trickle of news since at odd events hasn't done anything to help.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
It will be fine. When they have their big "PS5-palooza" event, whenever it occurs between now and June (because you know they won't allow MS to hold that spotlight to themselves for long if they happen to go first at E3), no one will be complaining.

The real question is whether they do another early February-ish "announcement" followed by more details in a later summer event since last time that February event caught some flack for being light on details/not showing the console itself, or if they just hold the full unveiling/official announcement until June.

But I think MS tipped their hand a little with their TGA reveal, and now people are rabid for PS5 news, so they have a little pressure to show something sooner rather than later.

But regardless, whenever they do talk (even if its later), people will be listening, so don't "worry" about Sony.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
Sony got full of themselves. They're the console sales leader, and instead of taking that and running with it, they got reclusive and feel like they're better than everyone, so no need to do anything extra - they're "winning."

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
See above for the mindshare talk, never denied they still have it.
If you are referring to me about overreacting you'd be wrong because not only i'm far and far away from buying a next gen console but i'm already 99.9% sure of what i am buying regardless of how things go simply by the virtue of already knowing that one is getting more japanese software support and another one more westerner software support.
I was talking in general regarding the overreacting.

I agree OP. The PS5 trickle of news has been absolutely terrible. Revealing your brand new console through a casual text article has to be in the most fucking stupid marketing decisions I've seen in years. And the trickle of news since at odd events hasn't done anything to help.
Like this is an overreaction plus the console hasn't been unveiled. It will be soon though.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Company who says on record that they will be crouching down to spring up strong has been quiet...im wondering what some people expect.

Why dont you wait until ps5 reveal as intended?

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

They got ahead of Xbox by mentioning SSD, ray tracing and 8K before E3, it was a supremely smart move.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I seriously question whether or not this is some of you guys/gals first console cycle change. That or are immature in your understanding of this industry.

Not only has Sony's approach been good, it's been very potent. So much so that every trickle of info has been met with high volumes of coverage and even the logo reveal got incredible buzz.

I've said this for months, their approach has been very welcome and even formally detailing things from the very first article, has been great. Building to a fever pitch and they haven't really done anything.

I don't knock MSFT's approach either but some of you and your, "What have you done for me lately?" point of view is already old and shows your bias.

I understand how momentum and all that works so if you realize how MSFT have basically blown their load and shown the console and talked more and more about small things too, They too are smart in some of their approaches.

Sony has been very precise in their messaging and we should be reminded of their heritage and support from the mid 90's until now. They have had massive success for a reason and it's not because people on some forums worry about when they are going to reveal their highly anticipated powerful console.

They're great at what they do. Just like you should be at what you've been doing for a long, long time.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Company who says on record that they will be crouching down to spring up strong has been quiet...im wondering what some people expect.

Why dont you wait until ps5 reveal as intended?
1 - the console warriors are feeling threatened.
2 - the console warriors on the other side are trying to push a narrative that Sony is afraid of MS and whatnot.
It's all about the war.