• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I swear, this board is so incredibly knee-jerk sometimes. Sony has their own cadence when it comes to PR and that's fine. They don't take to Twitter to react to every fart in the wind, nor should they. They have their priorities straight. No placating PR babble to try and rouse their fans with meaningless 144-character posts. Where others prefer to talk, they deliver on actual games instead.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, I think it is too premature for this narrative. Last year Sony admitted they didn't have much new content to show over and above games already revealed. This year is different. If they communicate everything through the same lowkey State of Play format (which I think is fine for smaller reveals), then I think the point will stand. But, they have got something big to show this year, so probably you just need to be a little bit more patient. Particularly given rumours that the PS5 blow out will begin next month. Set this against the background that PS4 is still selling well and has some big games releasing this year, and it is not surprising that they have left going all in with PS5 until this year. I mean it is not like MS has revealed much more, but they kind of have to take the initiative since they are playing catch up to a degree.

Anyway, I think just goes to illustrate how hyped you are for the next systems, which is understandable - so am I. Unfortunately, we have to be a little more patient.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They need to communicate. It's so weird to see Microsoft being all excited about next gen and the only thing we got out of Sony in months was the blandest, most predictable logo of all time.

Honestly, Jim Ryan's era of leadership thus far has been absolutely miserable - there hasn't been a single bit of good Playstation news out of Sony since he took over. I'm not looking forward to the PS5 at all with him in charge.
Wow this is a hot take and really bad, they don't need to say anything until they are ready Microsoft struggled this gen and needed to talk Sony doesn't and when they are ready to they will.

nobody is currently the market leader for next gen though.

currently I'm undecided who to go with

there are many factors that Sony needs to answer sooner rather than later especially if they aren't doing E3. They're lack of communication is coming off as being arrogant and smug to me and giving me nightmares of their PS3 debacle.

humble Sony gives us PS4 @ $399
Arrogant Sony gives us PS3 @ $599
lol that's all your post is worthy of.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
I don't understand.

What has Sony yet to communicate that you would like for them to communicate?

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I think people don't know yet what kind of future business model Sony has in mind for PS5. We know a few things about the console specs and how games are supposed to run. We know Sony thinks it will be important to make a quick transition with their customers. But we don't really know anything about philosophy, lineup and strategy for the brand in total. We've seen very few interviews by Sony leaders.

Once they do start communication, all of the above might be absolutely obsolete though.

TheRaidenPT

Editor-in-Chief, Hyped Pixels
Verified
Jun 11, 2018
Lisbon, Portugal
It's still early in the year.

During last gen we only got an announcement at the end of January, I suppose it will still be the same... Also GodFall developers commented on how we'll know much more come March/Spring so take that as base info to when more is coming

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just thought the whole of 2019 passed without much excitement or reason to care really about PlayStation. The one exciting thing that happened all year (TLOU 2 blowout) was followed almost immediately by a catch (the delay). I just hope this year is much, much better. HZD news would be great but that's still not confirmed so we'll wait and see.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I kinda feel that Shawn Layden leaving was a really bad sign. Right now, I think that Sony might actually be scrambling behind the scenes, as they were probably caught by surprise by the Series X hardware reveal. Nobody, including Digital Foundry, expected a 12TF chip.

If and when they reveal the PS5 hardware, I don't think they will mention teraflops at all, because right now, saying that your next gen console is almost 3TF below the competition is negative publicity (assuming the Digital Foundry leaks to be true).

Man I wish Layden was still in charge. That guy loved Playstation, and really seemed to be good at his job.

Regardless of what arguments you might make in support of Sony, the truth is that right now, Microsoft is doing all the talking and making all the headlines about next gen. With Gamepass, streaming and a monstrously strong upcoming console, they seem to have a clear vision for the future of gaming.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
Nintendo's the one I'm most excited for, weirdly. The PC world just keeps on trucking reliably. If PS exclusives start appearing on PC, yikes. PC Master Race will grow.
IMO, value for money, Sony is delivering the least value if you count PS Network in there.

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
nobody is currently the market leader for next gen though.

currently I'm undecided who to go with

there are many factors that Sony needs to answer sooner rather than later especially if they aren't doing E3. They're lack of communication is coming off as being arrogant and smug to me and giving me nightmares of their PS3 debacle.

humble Sony gives us PS4 @ $399
Arrogant Sony gives us PS3 @ $599

There are no nextgen consoles sitting on shelves in any shop right now, you can't even pre-order any nextgen consoles right now.
There's still like 10 months till release, just chillax, sit back and wait for the inevitable PS5 onslaught that'll happen between now and November 2020.

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Gamers are so dramatic. Really. Instead of PR talk , grandiose conferences with 3rd party games CG trailers and tweets I'd rather have games for my console. Have you seen the line up for this year for ps4?
And we already know ps5 is coming and we know about the same for both next gen consoles.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
They have been pretty communicative. Last year we got information on next-generation consoles, that's pretty unprecedented in itself. They've already clarified the reasons why they didn't attend E3 last year in favour of state of play which is showing content for what's going to be available on PS4 itself where we got first look at RE3 more footage of TLOU2 etc. We've gotten interviews by Jim Ryan about the direction of playstation along with leadership changing around as well. Gameawards was literally just last month and we got more look into Ghost of Tsushima & Godfall and Dreams releases next Month.

One thing I do think that Sony itself didn't anticipate was Xbox having a greater showing at gameawards by revealing the console itself which likely put them off guard in with it's power differences and even look at hellblade as well. But a company which generally has a clear plan and schedule isn't going to deviate especially to rumours/leaks. A If the negative news like no E3 etc is happening now, it's done strategically well before the PS5 marketing cycle kicks in as every sign points to the meeting being next month which gives even less reasons to talk now.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I just find it weird to hold Valve up as en example of being non communicative working, when one of the few consistent issues people have with Valve, is the very fact that they suck at communication

If i'm reading correctly, people complaining about this strategy precludes it from working somehow. Given the success of both companies, that doesnt add up. For all we know, most people might like it better that way. Less can be more.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see it.

We know more about Sony's vision for the next cycle and the PS5 from announcements through the last year than we remotely knew about PS4 at the same stage. This time last gen we knew nothing.

I'm not sure you're complaining about a lack of communication as, actually, too much communication over too many different channels vs one - say - reveal that binds everything into one thread.

For that I would say, relax. It's not even 3 weeks into the new year. Sony will definitely market their most important product in 7 years to you.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Last year was the final year before next-gen.
This year is the year of next-gen.
And it's the middle of January.
I kinda feel that Shawn Layden leaving was a really bad sign. Right now, I think that Sony might actually be scrambling behind the scenes, as they were probably caught by surprise by the Series X hardware reveal. Nobody, including Digital Foundry, expected a 12TF chip.

If and when they reveal the PS5 hardware, I don't think they will mention teraflops at all, because right now, saying that your next gen console is almost 3TF below the competition is negative publicity (assuming the Digital Foundry leaks to be true).

Man I wish Layden was still in charge. That guy loved Playstation, and really seemed to be good at his job.

Regardless of what arguments you might make in support of Sony, the truth is that right now, Microsoft is doing all the talking and making all the headlines about next gen. With Gamepass, streaming and a monstrously strong upcoming console, they seem to have a clear vision for the future of gaming.
What is any of this based on? What does "seemed to be good at his job" mean relative to an outsider's understanding of how Sony operates? This is all really silly.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
The communication about the Patapon 2 Remaster and Wild has been poor but the rest of the PS4 lineup has been given enough info and no one should have expected news about the PS5 pre-February, so these "random articles" is at least something versus the expected nothing. If Sony has other strategy-related announcements to make then I would expect them at PS Meeting too.

What do you need E3 for if they had nothing to announce? Do you benefit from Elden Ring or DMC5 being announced at Sony's stage? Do you feel sorry for the multiplat indie devs not getting enough spotlight?

Of course they have a roadmap. They are not silent because they are paralyzed with fear of the mighty Series X or because Jim forgot his laptop on a plane and because of this they're in panic mode trying to remember what they were supposed to do in 2020. You will hear about their plans soon.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
tenor.gif

Thread did its job.

DireRaven

Oct 27, 2017
Talking of leaks and 'insider' information BGR.com have a story regarding PS5 leak info, stating that Feb 5th is the PS5 unveiling day (it's based on a 'leak' from 4Chan, so take it with a huge grain of salt) - but it discusses price, availability and full BC with all generations of PS.
I'm not sure if it's newsworthy or has been discussed elsewhere, so I'll leave it here as a

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
I see nothing wrong here. Sony is going to release atleast 3 big AAA PS4 games this year and the Playstation 5 in late 2020. Before the release of the PS5 they will be doing an event (maybe more) to show the PS5 to the public and maybe some games for the launch of that console.

I would be worried if it was October 2020 and dead silence, but I don't think that is going to happen.

DAHGAMING

Oct 26, 2017
There not our friends, all they want is our money, which they get. They dont have to say anything, whats the point, were already buying the PS5 anyway.

DGS

Nov 2, 2017
Tyrol
I hope they don't show anything till November, two weeks before the PS5 launch. Era would explode.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
i mean it's sure as hell that noone of you that is "concerned" is working in business or marketing.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
This feels like a lot of people's first console generation transition.

People are just annoyed by their own impatience, but instead of just saying that, want to try and frame it like some legitimate business concern. Like if Sony is forgetting they have a console launching this year or something. It's stupid.

Key222

Dec 11, 2017
There hasn't been a lack of communication for 2 years though. Back in 2018 Sony acknowledged they had announced some games far too early and instead of announcing new titles they shifted focus on the remaining PS4 games. At the time the list of PS4 exclusives already revealed and yet to be release was pretty extensive (to the point they still haven't released them all).

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This feels like a lot of people's first console generation transition.
Exactly, just because MS is reacting at every fart in the wind like a babbling trump, doesnt man Sony is bad at communicating. Less is more in terms of conveying information. Its better to do it in controlled events. Why bother talking about things that arent ready to be talked about just yet.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
This is what's happening (number of likes):

xbox.png

ps5.png

They can get crazy attention by sharing a logo while MS has shown the whole console... so they don't feel that pressure to comunicate anything right now.

So far it's working for them, less for forums and enthusiast I guess but yeah, it's a precise marketing choice.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There hasn't been a lack of communication for 2 years though. Back in 2018 Sony acknowledged they had announced some games far too early and instead of announcing new titles they shifted focus on the remaining PS4 games. At the time the list of PS4 exclusives already revealed and yet to be release was pretty extensive (to the point they still haven't released them all).

It's not about announcing game too early. It's about skipping E3 and giving an exclusive Wired article. What next? Exclusive controller look in EDGE magazine?

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
I want to see more info too but at the same time I feel like we know more about the PS5 than we did about the PS4 at this point when it was coming out.