• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The character has the wrong aspect ratio. That's hilarious.

Nothing wrong with thicker female characters, but she just looks.... off.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And I'm asking you for alternatives, if there are none then where am I supposed to find pics?
It's not my job to provide you with an alternative, I just figured I would tell you that visiting a site with the express purpose of hosting content that is illegal in your country is probably a bad idea.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give you Heroes, but 3 Houses has like...2 pandering designs, one of which is only post-time skip and not that bad anyway. 3 if you are including a villain who is onscreen for like 5 minutes.

No idea what you are talking about with maid outfits, is that DLC or something?
Yeah, Maid/Butler outfits are coming with the sauna in Wave 3 of the DLC.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Uhh, nobody's going to get arrested for browsing Gelbooru. Like, the heck?

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If it was a bug it would be a pretty consistent one happening to like everyone as you can find lots of shots from different people's playthroughs

FC4A939CEF32B0C0D2C2804F3573D28CB6086A00

wtf is with this game and its NPC designs???
xD

ss-002.jpg

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's better than Fates but thats a low bar. There's still pandering designs, maid outfits and lets not forget about Heroes.

What I find most amusing about this is the righteous indignation about the Atelier franchise being "ruined" by pandering designs as if it wasnt ceiling to floor pandering from day one. This design is terrible, but its no less pandering than all the "loli" stuff that's endemic to the series (or for that matter the hot guys, I like to see it but its still pandering). The series has always been fan service heavy. This whole "How the mighty have fallen" schtick is hilariously misplaced.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What I find most amusing about this is the righteous indignation about the Atelier franchise being "ruined" by pandering designs as if it wasnt ceiling to floor pandering from day one. This design is terrible, but its no less pandering than all the "loli" stuff that's endemic to the series (or for that matter the hot guys, I like to see it but its still pandering). The series has always been fan service heavy. This whole "How the mighty have fallen" schtick is hilariously misplaced.

Again for the millionth time since I'm apparently now either blind, a prude, or dumb, I have had plenty of problems before this point with this series. But I guess that doesn't give you a narrative to dismiss all complaints about this, does it?

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I refuse to believe those pics are real, wtf.
They must be edited, her assets look like they've been stretched out

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, nobody's going to get arrested for browsing Gelbooru. Like, the heck?
Probably not (nor am I suggesting anyone should be), but you look like a massive hypocrite if you supposedly care about sites posting hentai of underage characters and then talk about frequenting a site that hosts thousands of images of that content.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Wow this thread is still going. I don't have anything to add at this point other than my surprise but I wanted to say that.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
It does feel like they stretched her model without bothering to redesign her clothes or change the textures.

Edit:
My girlfriend wanted to get into this series because of the pretty artworks and the harvest moon-like mechanics, but this kind of thing will kill off her interest for sure, at least for the newer entries :/ I imagine the first ones that they are releasing on Switch are safe from this stuff, right? Beyond the swimsuit stuff I guess.

Actually having wider female characters would be nice for representation if they didn't exist just for fetish. I actually liked that battleshot from the back because the main character's legs/shoulders being wider made her feel more human. Maybe it's because of the cape also, but idk. Feels like an angle I could see from anyone in real life.

Get her Atelier Annie on the DS an ex of mine absolutely loved that game and the fan-service is 0 AFAIK.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
This is also the longest Atelier thread on Era. Breaking all the records lol

This reminds me, is recent Atelier still sub-only over here?
Lydie and Suelle (last game of the Mysterious trilogy) didn't have a dub and neither will Ryza so might be the new trend.

Sadly it seems Atelier Firis is the last game in the series that'll ever get dubbed. Kinda ironic and sad considering the KT promised every future game in the series would have Dual Audio after the original version of Atelier Ayesha for PS3 was dub only.

Between the further increased pandering designs and the lack of dub a series that was once among my favorite all time game series is pretty much now a series I won't ever play again.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Sadly it seems Atelier Firis is the last game in the series that'll ever get dubbed. Kinda ironic and sad considering the KT promised every future game in the series would have Dual Audio after the original version of Atelier Ayesha for PS3 was dub only.

Between the further increased pandering designs and the lack of dub a series that was once among my favorite all time game series is pretty much now a series I won't ever play again.
They dropped the dubs because it didn't help the sales. They're focusing on a fast localization now instead, which is a good move since the fanbase knows how to import.
They don't have the budget for both atm (if Ryza is successful, dubs will probably come back).

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It is, that's how they can localize them so quickly now. We're getting Ryza less than a month after Japan.

Hmm, I wonder if Ryza will sell well enough to make them consider dubs again. Selfishly, I'd prefer if a quicker localization myself (I haven't bought an Atelier game in awhile though because I don't finish them lol) and it made sense when the games were bombing everywhere.

I remember this. I prefer sub but yeah I feel really bad for dub folks :/

Drelkag

Oct 25, 2017
Environments look great.

But when T&A comes walking in it gets a no from me. Most JRPGs are cringe enough as is without character designs reaching that point.

Almasy

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): sexist trolling
If this is what it takes for Atelier to be a sales-hit, I appreciate it.

I see the comparisons to Xenoblade2 and FireEmblem and I'm really glad those series exist and keep selling, now we need Xenoblade3 with designs like Xenoblade2 and everyone (not all) on Era will cry about it, and if it sells 2-3 millions, it will be because of the "timing" or other stuff lol

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If this is what it takes for Atelier to be a sales-hit, I appreciate it.

I see the comparisons to Xenoblade2 and FireEmblem and I'm really glad those series exist and keep selling, now we need Xenoblade3 with designs like Xenoblade2 and everyone (not all) on Era will cry about it, and if it sells 2-3 millions, it will be because of the "timing" or other stuff lol

Three Houses came out and was a success, yet had less fanservice than Fates. Is it still because of the fanservice?

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if this franchise will ever get dubs again. I much prefer the English voice overs for the Arland trilogy, so it was a huge shame to not have them back.

And, I also think that in terms of designs, the series hit its high note with the Dusk trilogy. Hidari's art is incredible.

However, the fact that Ryza seems to have been a sales hit is not something I was expecting... this series seemed to have been shrinking after Meruru, and the lack of dubs for localization had me worried for the franchise.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
Three Houses came out and was a success, yet had less fanservice than Fates. Is it still because of the fanservice?
What are the sales numbers for Three Houses? Cause looking at the only official numbers I have access to, it's way below Fates in Japan at retail. Has Nintendo provided official figures that i"m not aware of?

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What are the sales numbers for Three Houses? Cause looking at the only official numbers I have access to, it's way below Fates in Japan at retail. Has Nintendo provided official figures that i"m not aware of?

No, we currently do not have the official numbers nor will we until the next Earnings Release. We know from context that the UK and US it's one of the highest selling Fire Emblem but Fates three-pack way of dividing numbers muddies if it has overtaken Fates as a whole. In any case, it IS a large success and was not as reliant on male focused fanservice as Fates was.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017

Three Houses is literally a compilation of every existing trope of waifus and husbandos.

Just look at Twitter, FE:TH discussions are 60% about who is best waifu/husbando and 40% rest of the game.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three Houses is literally a compilation of every existing trope of waifus and husbandos.

Just look at Twitter, FE:TH discussions are 60% about who is best waifu/husbando and 40% rest of the game.

So you are saying people bought Three Houses primarily because of the shipping? Because even that is still different from saying people on buy Japanese JRPG's for the objectification outfits put on women.

Three houses still has more fanservice than the older games and is adding maids and the sauna in the dlc.

No one bought Three Houses in its first weeks for the Sauna DLC.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
I hesitate to attribute sales success to fanservice or the lack thereof.

Pro fanservice, there's so many games with fanservice that there needs to be some other defining factor to distinguish oneself from the sea.

Anti-fan service, there's so many games with fanservice that if that's the disqualifying factor, you just can't play Japanese games. It's more likely to just enjoy the other aspects and look the other way.

Everyone's got a breaking point and not all fan service is created equal though.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Shipping is not fanservice. Like the otome genre is all about shipping/romance but contains very little fanservice (usually, sometimes it does of male characters). 3 Houses character designer is an otome artist, so obviously it's still gonna bring in that crowd (mostly women and gay men). Even then, that's just fan discussion, in terms of the actual game 3 Houses de-emphasized romance to a large degree compared to Fates and Awakening.

People trying to argue 3 Houses is a fanservice heavy game are just objectively incorrect. It's like calling any of Atlus's 3DS remakes fanservice heavy because you could buy an optional beach scene DLC.

Almasy

Oct 25, 2017
No but, I want all the series that I love... to survive and keep selling, if "fanservice" is what it takes for some to sell, I'll take it.

The only complain I see from some fans about 3H is that you can't play matchmaking, and only Byleth can S-support with anyone.
That is some "fanservice" that was taken from us.

The game took almost all romance away.

Aug 28, 2019
As a total outsider just now looking into the series a bit after the discussion here, I don't really know what to make of it. A lot of it looks relatively tame aside from the embarrassing shit in the OP (Ryza, I guess), but I see a lot of comments here saying that there's perv bait scattered through much of the series.

I see a few posts saying that Dusk is a good subseries with less creep service than some others. I have a PS3, so maybe I should give one of those a try. Not sure if it's my thing, but it piques my interest, though I won't be playing Ryza to start with. Or ever, probably.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
As a total outsider just now looking into the series a bit after the discussion here, I don't really know what to make of it. A lot of it looks relatively tame aside from the embarrassing shit in the OP (Ryza, I guess), but I see a lot of comments here saying that there's perv bait scattered through much of the series.

I see a few posts saying that Dusk is a good subseries with less creep service than some others. I have a PS3, so maybe I should give one of those a try. Not sure if it's my thing, but it piques my interest, though I won't be playing Ryza to start with. Or ever, probably.
Keep in mind Dusk is getting remakes in January. You might want to get one of those games on a modern platform (if you don't own the game already obviously).

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (5 days): trolling and antagonizing another member + history of similar infractions
Again for the millionth time since I'm apparently now either blind, a prude, or dumb, I have had plenty of problems before this point with this series. But I guess that doesn't give you a narrative to dismiss all complaints about this, does it?

Well I suppose I'd have to agree with you about the blind part, as you apparently missed "This design is terrible". Considering the rest of the post goes on to detail how the series has always had issues I'm not really sure how you'd consider that "dismissing all complaints", perhaps you're right about your other attributes as well.