• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Im all in for busty characters but THIS ONE it looks like they just scaled the body sideways. Really offputting imo

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Yeah, I do think Atelier has its share of sexualization and leaning into it for sales in the past. It's just that even for that kind of market, Lila stands out because she's so large. I think you'd have to dip into Ar Tonelico to go this far.

The screenshots the OP went with are the most unflattering but the proportions still stand out in the other shots.
I agree.
Kind of related, but if you don't want to see sexualised Gust games, don't check Nights of Azure 2.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Seems fantasy like airships or summons.

Why aren't the guys in mini-skirts? Anything goes, so should this. :P
lol I guess this same fantasy realm doesnt have nipples either (there seems to be some sort of scar or bruise where his nipple ought to be though)

latest

Shame Balthier didnt join Fran and wear a bunny thong.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
For me the best trilogy in charecter design, story and battle system is the Dusk series,
And the designer was Hidari, whom is now more know for the FE:3H characters.
I really liked Hidari's character designs in general. I think that's part of why I had a positive impression of FE:Echoes, among other reasons. So superficial haha.

FE:3H was Chinatsu Kurahana and while I've come around to the designs, it felt like a downgrade when they revealed it.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Welp, this thread has now outpaced the official OTs for Lulua, Nelke, and Arland.

Lmao true.
Not many people actually play the series on era. Whenever it comes up it's always "is this series actually good?", "I was interested in this but don't know when I'll get to it" and "I'll wait for a sale." *Siiigh*

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
This shit has me dying. It is like they set the sliders to max for the breasts and thighs of that girl like in a character creator. And the worst part about it , it makes it look terrible. Smh

Arcana Wiz

Oct 26, 2017
I love Hidari and the Dusk trilogy, but Jurie had a relatively similar design to Ryza. She just wasn't the protagonist.

Gust was bought before the Dusk trilogy though, right before Atelier Meruru released. Koei Tecmo was already the owner when the Dusk trilogy was made.

Oh yes, i not saying that the series was devoid of fanservice, in Arland series we had a lot of Yuri-bait, (nothing against the yuri, the problem is the series use them only for fan service)
And in totori we had the famous octupus scene...
Annnd lets not forget the usual swimsuit scene and DLC.

When Gust was bought the Dusk series already were in development. So i think Koei push became stronger in the mysterious trilogy.
But i'm not putting all the blame on Koei, is just that like any other company they want more sales, and sadly the market has spoken in Japan

But i mentioned the dusk series because they are the tamest in fan service and you can see that Gust tried to do a bigger story (the world dying). And i think outside this one character (that is one of the least important ones) all girls are pretty reasonably dressed.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Lmao true.
Not many people actually play the series on era. Whenever it comes up it's always "is this series actually good?", "I was interested in this but don't know when I'll get to it" and "I'll wait for a sale." *Siiigh*

TBF, the "Mysterious" trilogy was pretty damn disappointing. I'm happy the Dusk Trilogy is getting a rerelease, since it was definitely one of the better series'.
But even with that in mind, I've had a mild (but always there) love for the series, but I'm not gonna pretend every game is AMAZING and that most of these titles could really do with an extra month or two of polish to make them really stand out (sadly I don't think that fits into Gust's rather....tight budgeting for these games). --- Basically it's a shame the 'Plus" versions arent there from the get-go. :/
This is really a title of acquired tastes and has even grown pretty divisive with fans of the series as its gone on (some upset they never re-treated the heavy-RPG style of Iris, or eventually eliminating time constraints, etc.)

Deleted member 9746

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Atelier artwork peaked with Hidari, it is known. Everything after looks so supbar by comparison, including Mel Kishida's second go (it feels like his style has gotten worse over the years).

ec7257d220c01a95ea0781e00585306c.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 15395

Unshakable Resolve
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh shit, wow XD, that shit looks like a stretched magazine scan! Is it really like that in the game?

Japan rediscovering their love for thick women XD

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
EFbu9X4XYAA29yd.jpg:large
am I going to have to deal with perverted fanservice infecting another game series designed for women to the point where they feel alienated!?!

Because I'm not being "fair" without these images:

SS04.jpg

SS02.jpg
At first I was like wow, this stupid half assed monocle is lame af, and then realized all the fuss here is probably about tits. What does non infected series look like, for science?

Onyar

Nov 1, 2017
It's not that bad, what I actually don't like is the children like characters, this seems a more mature one and probably it neither enters with the sexyness standarts of everyone because she's too chubby.

Sep 14, 2019
OK, I also provide you Fire Emblem which has done the same with massive success. Persona too.
Fire Emblem has actually gotten a lot less fanservicy with Three Houses. It cut out dating almost entirely and the character designs are much tamer than what was in Fates. It's actually gotten to the point where it went from near-Ecchi levels to almost unrecognizable.

Renteka-Bond

Chicken Chaser
Dec 28, 2017
Clearwater, Florida
It's funny and kind of sad because I'm actually more interested in this Atelier than I have been for the other's because of the gameplay changes (I actually plan on getting it despite no dubs and on switch no less!), but the, what I deem, improvements to the core game are definitely gonna be marred by this shift into rather overt fanservice.

Even before seeing this character, I remember watching one of the classic japanese game streams and the devs/pr people playing the game were running with the camera zoomed in on Ryza's butt when she ran and the whole time I was thinking 'Wow, that's a bad FOV. I hope you can turn that up or something' and, naturally, you can, by quite a bit too.

They clearly know what they're doing here. As much as I'm not personally against it from a horny gamerboi perspective, the non-degenerate side of me totally gets why this super sucks. Atelier is one of the closest 'clean' rpgs out there with any semblance of quality and 'prestige', so seeing yet another series start/continue down this path blows. I know some girls who'll like it, but there's an abundance of these out there for that.

That said though:

Damn boy, She THICK!

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In the far flung future archaeologists will unearth a copy of this game and assume she was some kind of fertility goddess.

Look! The Pie!

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I remember wanting to get into the Atelier games when I thought it was just a cute, whimsical series about running a shop. Then I saw some of the character designs and DLC outfits and noped the fuck out.

Deleted member 21709

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The thread title is still funny to me.

That there are people arguing that Atelier is supposed to be pure/oriented towards actual girls.. I can't.

Oct 29, 2017
This just looks dumb and like someone genuinely made a mistake creating the 3D model. Even the concept art of that character doesn't look as ridiculous as she does in-game.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
That there are people arguing that Atelier is supposed to be pure/oriented towards actual girls.. I can't.

I don't know about supposed to be per se but it's still pretty fucked that the series has progressed down a dark path to full creep bait when there's so many other series that do the same thing and never had any higher level of pretension.

Honestly the fact that this is a worse design than most of the Neptunia games is saying something, because those have always been fetishy.

品川駅

Banned
Aug 15, 2019
Tokyo, Japan
I am buying the game just for the character designs lol. Ryza has been crazy popular here in japan.

I got Xeno2 for the same reasons and ended up enjoying the game too.

Sailent

Mar 2, 2018
Please refrain from using "fan service", this is straight up sexualization and objectification.

Death Penalty

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who hasn't actually played anything in this series, I just assumed this kind of trash was what these games always were