• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
The other screenshots are less extreme. Hm. Definitely curious to watch gameplay and see if the issue is as bad as the first images show. If not then is there a weird FOV in that area for some strange reason or did someone actually photoshop the original images. Weird.

May 13, 2019
The Atelier games usually have much more reasonable numbers for stats and HP/MP than most JRPGs.
Guess I'm used to JRPGs really inflating numbers/stats. Disgaea's the crowned king of that:

ImLmVN-6xKuS7avrAiQVehiwkXtiT86WJLtY36N_XIU.jpg

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
lol, the original Xenoblade was full of sexist garbage too, don't lie to yourself. It was only marginally less overt about it.

Yeah? that's better to me. i'm glad there are no boobs as big as the person's head with them barely having clothes on. The fact that one has to see that shit with the actual main characters in Xeno2 pretty much every cutscene is just ridiculous.

I wouldent even mind the costume itself that much if the proportions were decent, this just looks pathetic.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Well, the Fairy Tail jrpg they are making that releases next year should definitely be fun
(I'm actually pretty hyped for it). Actually with all the Atlier fans in here, what do you guys think about Gust using their Atlier experience as a base for that?

I'm sure they'll be interesting alt costumes in that too

Oct 25, 2017
The Atelier games have not been selling well and Ryza is clearly having the 2B effect right now so I expect this to sell a lot and send a clear message.

I like all the designs we've seen except that character from the OP.

Tohsaka

Nov 17, 2017
Do you think Xenoblade 2 sold well because of the fan service-y designs like Nier Automata? I think it could have sold more if it had more tasteful designs.
A lot of people really like sexy fanservice designs, despite what this site would have you believe. There's literally an entire genre (gacha games) that make millions of dollars because people like to gamble for sexy waifus and husbandos.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For the hips, people don't get that she's wearing "puffy" shorts. She doesn't have a massive ass. But hey, I doubt the OP will be updated to clarify that and integrate that picture.
She has massive breasts though. She's also not human.

I see absolutely no issue with Ryza's design though (the main character).

edit:

I'm sorry to say that, but if nobody bought the previous Atelier games when they were excellent, especially by the people complaining here, there's a reason this happened.
Atelier games get a new character designer for every trilogy anyway, it's nothing new, similar to Fire Emblem.

edit 2:
If you didn't buy Atelier games before, and are complaining that you won't buy it now, I'm not sure what the point is.
What are you talking about? I bought the remakes and even Lulula

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
lol, the original Xenoblade was full of sexist garbage too, don't lie to yourself. It was only marginally less overt about it.

I can't wait for the remake precisely because I want to see these guys' answers when faced with the criticism.

But I'm gonna get fucked up too because I'm waiting for Trials of Mana, one of my favorite games of all time with some questionable designs here and there. =(

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
her ass cheeks are literally hanging out of her, and has but a few fine straps tying the front and back of her pants

ss-038.jpg

latest
That doesn't change my opinion on her design, I know about it. I guess you know she was supposed to get a miniskirt at first too?
You have some free DLC if you want her in a pretty dress instead

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
As a new fan to the series who loves the game mechanics, it's really disappointing. I wish it was easier to find games with such mechanics that didn't treat my gender like this.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That doesn't change my opinion on her design, I know about it. I guess you know she was supposed to get a miniskirt at first too?

lol so it changes the exposed sides of the hips to expose the side of the midriff??

Thanks for the crumb of "non-sexualized" DLC.

Let's see the men in these shitty tight outfits

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
At first I saw the breasts and I was like, oh that's typical for anime game.
But then I saw the ass and that's a first, I gotta say, I thought atelier was cute (lesbian?) girls in skirts and the occasional young male party member/old male party member, or at least that's what I got from ayesha

Jamie

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like a parody, almost too ridiculous to be true. Can't believe anyone would find that attractive.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Been finding some more gameplay pics as I dig deeper and (once again emphasized it's still not good) it's much less extreme
SS01.jpg

SS04.jpg

SS02.jpg

EDIT: This is the 3D model from the official site
3dmodel.png

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

This design does look a lot better but her skirt is still too short. I'm getting really tired of skirts barely long enough to cover your underwear.

A lot of people really like sexy fanservice designs, despite what this site would have you believe. There's literally an entire genre (gacha games) that make millions of dollars because people like to gamble for sexy waifus and husbandos.

That's true but if all it took was sexy designs than something like Senran Kagura and Neptunia would be just as successful.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
User warned: Repeatedly gatekeeping and antagonizing another member over a series of posts
What are you talking about? I bought the remakes and even Lulula
1) So are you updating the OP with the other screenshots showing it's actually not that bad? Those pictures seem to come from a random twitter account, but the actual ingame screenshots are really not similar.
2) So you bought just the Arland games, is that right? Not the Mysterious trilogy, the Dusk ones (that are getting a remake too in January, so everyone is happy)...? No PS2 games?
3) You buying some games doesn't change the fact that those games have been selling less and less. Ryza getting a sales boost doesn't mean that characters will always get those designs.
4) Again, if you played Atelier for more than the Arland games, you know that each story arc has a different designer. This is a new one just like the Arland one (that felt like the girls were way too young for many people) was different from the Dusk one.
Designs are pretty varied and change often, you should check them.

edit:
This design does look a lot better but her skirt is still too short. I'm getting really tired of skirts barely long enough to cover your underwear.
Seems similar to most in the series tbh. Nelke has all the protagonists of the franchise, and look at their designs:

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
1) So are you updating the OP with the other screenshots showing it's actually not that bad? Those pictures seem to come from a random twitter account, but the actual ingame screenshots are really not similar.
2) So you bought just the Arland games, is that right? Not the Mysterious trilogy, the Dusk ones (that are getting a remake too in January, so everyone is happy)...? No PS2 games?
3) You buying some games doesn't change the fact that those games have been selling less and less. Ryza getting a sales boost doesn't mean that characters will always get those designs.
4) Again, if you played Atelier for more than the Arland games, you know that each story arc has a different designer. This is a new one just like the Arland one (that felt like the girls were way too young for many people) was different from the Dusk one.

Any other requirements for me to prove my fandom are will there just be a never ending list for me to fill?

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol so it changes the exposed sides of the hips to expose the side of the midriff??

Atelier-Ryza-Digital-Deluxe_09-26-19.jpg

To be fair the red haired dude's outfit is kinda stupid too, thought not to the same extent.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Any other requirements for me to prove my fandom are will there just be a never ending list for me to fill?
Did you even read what I wrote? Past the fact that you said to me you just played the Arland series.
Will you update the OP to show the actual screenshots of the game btw?

The side of her midriff is not showing her skin at all. Look again, it's a cloth part of her top.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Welp, this thread has now outpaced the official OTs for Lulua, Nelke, and Arland.

edit:

Seems similar to most in the series tbh. Nelke has all the protagonists of the franchise, and look at their designs:

Come on, there's no need to be so gatekeeper-y about how much someone has to play to gripe about the series. It'll at least be reasonable to expect similar designs for the next three years for Ryza's trilogy.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Welp, this thread has now outpaced the official OTs for Lulua, Nelke, and Arland.

Come on, there's no need to be so gatekeeper-y about how much someone has to play to gripe about the series. It'll at least be reasonable to expect similar designs for the next three years for Ryza's trilogy.
I'm not gatekeeping anything, just reminding people of the actual facts since the OP refuses to put any there.
The thread is moving fast, so it's not like some people care about it anyway.

Dalcop

Nov 28, 2017
the body type was designed by humans, not something that happened naturally ala yknow, a real person. every aspect of this character was designed with an intention in mind and, especially in the context of past entries in the series, it feels shitty.
Every body type in a game was designed by humans. That has no bearing on those bodies reflecting reality in some way. Which means it's more disingenuous to say comments like "That body shape looks disgusting" (rather than "That outfit is poorly designed") have no association or impact on people who literally have similar proportions than it is to say they have none, despite what your original comment implied.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017

Oh yeah I've been playing the games since Iris so I'm well aware. It's just a design pet peeve i have which is common in a lot of anime-styled games. I like skirts I just wish they were a bit longer.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did you even read what I wrote? Past the fact that you said to me you just played the Arland series.

The side of her midriff is not showing her skin at all. Look again, it's a cloth part of her top.

1. I did not play just the Arland series. I said the last one I played were the remakes and the last main title.
2. I have fans of this series since my cousin gave me a copy of Marie on a Japanese Playstion so don't come to me talking to me about "being a fan". And yes, I've played those PS2 games.
3. I know about the artist changing. I am worried that this will be the norm with future character designers.

Actually

I'm not gatekeeping anything, just reminding people of the actual facts since the OP refuses to put any there.
The thread is moving fast, so it's not like some people care about it anyway.

I see you just want to gatekeep and defend so go away. I don't need to prove my fandom to you.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Meh. It's mostly the weird character model. I've seen worse design wise.
For the hips, people don't get that she's wearing "puffy" shorts. She doesn't have a massive ass. But hey, I doubt the OP will be updated to clarify that and integrate that picture.
She has massive breasts though. She's also not human.
Been finding some more gameplay pics as I dig deepr and (once again emphasized it's still not good) it's less extreme
SS01.jpg

SS04.jpg

SS02.jpg

ffs

HEY GUYS, I started to look at SO MANY SCREENS and ANGLES. SO MANY ANGLES!
Regard them!!! But y;know OP is DELIBERATELY misrepresenting their argument. Such trickery these optical illusionary puffy pants.

IT'S LESS BAD. It's not the worst, she'd have to be wearing nipple tassels and a string-thong!!!!!!!! But it isn't that = so it's not that bad!!!! And SHE IS ACTUALLY A HOMUNCULOUS MADE FOR SEX, HER STORY IS TRAGIC AND HER OUTFIT IS ACTUALLY EMPOWERING.

ss-065.jpg

ss-045.jpg

ss-041.jpg

We're being, like, SO SEXIST to big chested women. ***I*** have NO interest in her except to defend these poor big-chested anime women.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lol really??

w5Uc743.jpg

Who needs shirts?

tcrAZQG.jpg

Are her tits still soft or made of steel?

YkaYqpG.jpg

her skirt literally won't let her stand with her legs apart

8RlSFiX.jpg

(love how convenient that fade in the middle of the dress is)

P7JPKz6.jpg

dat brazillian tho

INGhC6y.jpg

military-issued underwear-gear

bVdube3.jpg

presumably you slot each breast into the black tit-pocket.
Gotta love the faux-thong straps.
Exactly, none of those designs are as bad as that one character.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
This reminds me of theat snow bunny lady design from XB2, they both look fine in the 2D art (by my standards), but who ever made the models went waaaay overboard.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Oh yeah I've been playing the games since Iris so I'm well aware. It's just a design pet peeve i have which is common in a lot of anime-styled games. I like skirts I just wish they were a bit longer.
I agree.
1. I did not play just the Arland series. I said the last one I played were the remakes and the last main title.
2. I have fans of this series since my cousin gave me a copy of Marie on a Japanese Playstion so don't come to me talking to me about "being a fan". And yes, I've played those PS2 games.
3. I know about the artist changing. I am worried that this will be the norm with future character designers.
You said you bought the remakes (Arland) and Lulua (Arland). Nothing else. I can't really know from that you've played more.
If you know about the artist changing, you know that skirts have always been super short, and some characters super young. And that it'll change again.
I didn't imply you weren't a fan, again, if you've read what you posted.
Actually

I see you just want to gatekeep and defend so go away. I don't need to prove my fandom to you.
Again, please read what I posted. It's not gatekeeping, it's posting facts you're voluntarily skipping. I get why you're angry as an Arland fan (just like Arland fans were angry at the Mysterious character designs), but that's not a reason to mislead people.
And you're still refusing to update the OP with all the actual game screenshots showing the proportions being a lot less extreme on this very page. Why not?

Sep 14, 2019
Do you think Xenoblade 2 sold well because of the fan service-y designs like Nier Automata? I think it could have sold more if it had more tasteful designs.
Not really fair to Nier Automata. As sexualized as 2B has become on the internet her actual design is not really overtly-sexual.

Edit: Well ok, I should say less overtly-sexual than most of the games talked about in this discussion, lol. It's weird, I think a lot of the sexual appeal of Automata is actually the tease of 2B and less so her being overly sexual. Obviously her butt is famous, but when you look at her design from most angels it's really not that bad. It's very much an attractive character design, but unless you're specifically looking for butt not as sex crazed.

There is that famous option of self-destruction though.

Last edited:

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The Atelier games usually have much more reasonable numbers for stats and HP/MP than most JRPGs.

Xenoblade 2 is the best-selling game in the trilogy, so I kinda doubt that.

i literally didn't buy the game and waited to get it used because that shit was and, when i finished it, still is a huge black-mark on that game. It was only done a disservice by it. Furthermore, i question the general sense of someone who buys an otherwise good game BECAUSE the fan-service. I have literally never seen a game with no fanservice fail because its lack of it.

OP
OP
Xaszatm

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree.

You said you bought the remakes (Arland) and Lulua (Arland). Nothing else. I can't really know from that you've played more.
If you know about the artist changing, you know that skirts have always been super short, and some characters super young. And that it'll change again.
I didn't imply you weren't a fan, again, if you've read what you posted.

Again, please read what I posted. It's not gatekeeping, it's posting facts you're voluntarily skipping. I get why you're angry as an Arland fan (just like Arland fans were angry at the Mysterious character designs), but that's not a reason to mislead people.
And you're still refusing to update the OP with all the actual game screenshots showing the proportions being a lot less extreme on this very page. Why not?

You asked the last games I bought, I told you the last games I bought. Then you extrapolated that I didn't play the rest of the fucking series.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Aside from the otome games on PSP Atelier has never really been aimed at girls. Even back on the PS1 look at Marie for example.
So I'm not sure why OP is making such an argument. It's not relevant when talking about how bad the character design is.