• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the worst artstyle?

• Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask

Votes: 200 9.1%
  • Wind Waker

Votes: 123 5.6%
  • Twilight Princess

Votes: 876 39.8%
  • Skyward Sword

Votes: 957 43.4%
  • Breath of the Wild

Votes: 47 2.1%

• Total voters

Son of Liberty

Production
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
California
I don't think any of the Zelda art styles are inherently bad, but I would say Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword have the least appealing visuals to me.

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
maxresdefault.jpg
It's definitely TP but picking some of the absolute worst models in the game isn't fair.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
Really not a fan of the OoT/Majora's Mask artstyle.

Everything is SUPER angular and not really appealing to me. I know they were working with the limitations of what they had on N64 but ehhhh even the official drawn art just doesn't do it for me.

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
Wind Waker and it's not even close. The looney toons aesthetic looks awful. One of the worst art design choices in the history of gaming.
are you high on angel dust haha

it's so timeless. Wind Waker, even the Gamecube version, still looks good today. It's so expressive and unique and it looks so good.

Hollowism

Dec 25, 2017
As much as I love TP, it's TP. Only Link, Zelda and Midna look great and everyone else is butt ugly.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
Twilight Princess has by far aged the worst. Skyward Sword has some flaws, but at times can look damn beautiful with its stylized, painterly visuals.

Wind Waker and Breath of the Wild are the best looking and are a treat to look at.

Sep 29, 2020
Plastic central Links Awakening on Switch.
Pretty much ANY other shader would have been better than the "everything is shiny" they used.

Edit: 3D gameplay Zelda, Twilight Princess cyberspace stuff never clicked with me.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's Skyward Sword but I don't dislike any of them (other than CDi, which I'm guessing doesn't count). Skyward Sword is just a not great middle ground between TP and WW.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I voted Twilight Princess, but mainly because the game itself aged pretty badly. Ironic since back in the day I really loved how "mature" it looked

Was always a fan of Wind Waker though, glad to know I was always on the right side of history

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
ok Twilight Princess npc faces can be bad design but how is it that Skyward Sword has much worse textures? SS has weird faces too.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Skyward Sword, easily. The attempt at using an impressionist style to mask the blurry nature of the game doesn't work and just makes it look... even more blurry. The enemy designs are also on the whole some of the worst Zelda has ever produced, bar none.

690px-Tentalus.png

Skyward-sword-artwork-flame-boss.jpg

348-3481292_click-to-expand-imprisoned-skyward-sword.png

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
It is obviously the N64 games and everyone saying TP or Skyward Sword is just salty about not liking those games or has some serious nostalgia for OoT and MM. Fact is: they look awful.

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
plenty of Twilight Princess is pretty looking - some of you need to open up google image search to jog your memory

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Honestly I really don't like how Skyward Sword looks.

It has a very "I see what you were going for but it didn't work out" look to it for me.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I think it's gotta be Twilight Princess. It's just really drab and seemed to be going for an LOTR look. Still some beautiful areas in the game but in terms of style it's not nearly as distinct or memorable as Wind Waker or Skyward Sword.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think a game can be judged as ugly because it has ugly looking NPCs, Zelda seems to make it a staple to have weirdly designed quirky ugly NPCs.

390932-dampe.png

latest

images

latest

skyward-swords-fortune-teller-sparrot-from-zelda-wiki.png

ugly-npc-botw.jpg

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess suffers from the mid-2000s perverted fascination with bloom and browns. Its character models and whatnot are generally ok, but I really hate that aesthetic and find it hard to play anything that uses it.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Last edited:

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
You're missing out. ALBW is the best Zelda game of the decade.

I have a friend who has begged me to play it. She is adamant that I would love it. I am sure she is probably right. But man, every time I look at that game I am just repulsed. Moreover, I really do hate using the 3DS. If a Switch version gets announced I will play it.

Kujumz

May 30, 2019
It is obviously the N64 games and everyone saying TP or Skyward Sword is just salty about not liking those games or has some serious nostalgia for OoT and MM. Fact is: they look awful.
OP says we are talking about art style not texture quality. OoT/MM had great art style and design.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Twilight Princess had some standouts, but overall I'd say it's the worst. I was tempted to say OoT, but MM being grouped with it meant I couldn't.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
Twilight Princess may not be the best, but it's at least consistent and has a nice darker ambiance to it.

Skyward Sword, on the other hand, is a weird mashup of TP and the cartoony exaggeration of Wind Waker. The dungeons look really good, though.

SunPie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It didn't really dampen my enjoyment of the game, but I wasn't a fan of the Links Awakening remake's art style.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2017
Skyward Sword - Game looked like it was ran through a photoshop filter. The animation and character designs didn't match the rendering style. Wind Waker and TP went all in with their look. Skyward Sword was caught in the middle of both.

WInd Waker is still tops and all the man children who complained when it was released will never be forgiven!

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I remember playing Twilight Princess and thinking why does everything feel so gritty and dark? Wasn't a fan, at all.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Skyward Sword, easily. The attempt at using an impressionist style to mask the blurry nature of the game doesn't work and just makes it look... even more blurry. The enemy designs are also on the whole some of the worst Zelda has ever produced, bar none.

690px-Tentalus.png

Skyward-sword-artwork-flame-boss.jpg

348-3481292_click-to-expand-imprisoned-skyward-sword.png

I like these a lot. They're fun and memorable.

Stormkyleis

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I love the "fairytale with a darker undertone" atmosphere of Ocarina of Time and especially Majora's Mask.

The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both fit perfectly with the respective story and soundtrack.

Skyward Sword looks charming, but not as memorable.

Breath of the Wild... it's undoubtedly the prettiest world, and it's technically more advanced, but the lighting gets really ugly in bright daylight. Link and Zelda look straight up yellow. BotW is my pick.

NSwitch_TheLegendOfZeldaBreathOfTheWild_01.png

OP
OP
Lozjam

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Who is the one person who chose Breath of the Wild. And why did you choose it?

I am genuinely interested why you think that Breath of the Wild is the worst artstyle in the series.
Edit:
I love the "fairytale with a darker undertone" atmosphere of Ocarina of Time and especially Majora's Mask.

The Wind Waker and Twilight Princess both fit perfectly with the respective story and soundtrack.

Skyward Sword looks charming, but not as memorable.

Breath of the Wild... it's undoubtedly the prettiest world, but the lighting gets really ugly in bright daylight. Link and Zelda look straight up yellow. BotW is my pick.

NSwitch_TheLegendOfZeldaBreathOfTheWild_01.png
Ninja'd. I can definitely see that, but I could also sort of same the same for WWHD. I think that really is just a product of lighting in general. Even something as good looking like the Grand Canyon looks awful at noon. There is a reason why painters choose morning or evening to photograph or paint.

Oct 29, 2017
I think probably TP, but really mostly the human npcs and the ooccoo, they translated really poorly to the more realistic tone. I think the environments and creatures still look pretty good for the most part.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
Twilight Princess makes me wish I had no eyes.

Oct 31, 2017
I voted Twilight Princess because most characters are ugly and the world is washed out and dull

But I just want to say that Skyward Sword's visuals are also disappointing. None of the areas look very good. And the character models are okay but the artwork is SOOO much better, though I think Zelda's in game model was great

71cPvqIRaAL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

zelda_skyward_sword_art-1.jpg

Freshmaker

Oct 28, 2017
Twilight Princess being rated the worst is a HUGE shift in the narrative. So many fans were ecstatic that Twilight Princess looked the way it does. They were SO happy to see the backside of Wind Waker. Finally, justice has been served.
Nah. Just a lotta wrong people out there. Wind Waker has "aged well" because it was always fugly.