• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I nominate the opening for The L Word.

The girlfriend watched this show a while back. I watched some of it with her. The show itself is kinda whatever. But its intro... holy moly. It's so, so bad. I don't get what they were going for. I'm directly refering to the weird faux stop-motion here. The content of the images themselves is fairly normal, and does represent the characters and what the show is about. But how this content is presented... man. It's just bad. The song is bad too. Sorry.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
MASH's intro was enough to get me to change the channel literally every time it came on
I feel like it robbed me of what I hear is a decent TV show.

IIRC, the song is even called "Suicide is Painless" i mean wtf is that shit. What kid wants to listen to that after a long day of school.

SatoAilDarko

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. You may be right that that's the worst OP. It's the combination of the stilted frames and the song. It's almost reads as parody.

Burly

Oct 25, 2017
Executive Producer: "I want it to have the feeling of 90's clip art"

Producer: "You got it boss"

Nov 1, 2017

Homeland

2 minutes of the most aimless noodle-y jazz interspersed with random quotes from the show and real life quotes from intelligence officials and also the visuals are people in masks in a maze sometimes turned upside down to be S P O O K Y

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Girlfriends' theme feels like a parody.

This is actually the one that prompted me to make this thread lol. My gf is currently watching the show (as of this very moment, actually); I saw the opening several times and just couldn't believe how bad it was. It's the second-worst to me, after The L Word.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
If limiting it to more recent shows...the worst has to go to "The Morning Show"...not cringy or wrong but just completely generic, boring and there is about 2 minutes of it (otoh, the show itself is pretty good tv).

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes starts with an okay intro with a passable and catchy tune synced to a montage. But then someone in season 2, they replace the audio of that same opening with some lame, phoned in narration while keeping the same montage.

Like, I don't know if they suddenly lost the rights to the song, or what, but what the fuck.

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
MASH's intro was enough to get me to change the channel literally every time it came on

IIRC, the song is even called "Suicide is Painless" i mean wtf is that shit. What kid wants to listen to that after a long day of school.

+1 to this. As a kid, I was like NO WAY. Wish I had stuck around to see the show, people said it was great.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017

+1 to this. As a kid, I was like NO WAY. Wish I had stuck around to see the show, people said it was great.

Mash is a great show for it's time. I can't see people going back to it though.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

Are you nuts? This intro is classic.

Adder7806

Dec 16, 2018
Mash is a great show and the theme fits it perfectly. Doesn't belong in this thread.

First show that came to mind for me is Friends. It's terrible.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know where people stand with this but I'm currently making my way through Buffy for the first time and that intro is awful. Very glad I can skip it on Amazon with a click.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

Want to really blow your mind. The lyrics to it were written by a 14 year old kid.

Oct 28, 2017
As a kid it was always on and I just didn't get it. They also showed it in the afternoons and really late at night so it also signaled that I really should be in bed so I have that memory associated with the theme song.

Out of the blue I started to watch it a few weeks ago and while I only just finished the first season and it's really damn good. The DVDs have an option to watch it without the laugh track and I highly recommend anyone watch it that way.

As for the theme song, I love it now. There is a weird nostalgia for it but after getting into the show I think it stands on its own.

I also just watched the movie for the first time and the scene where the song is featured is beautiful. The premise for why they are singing it is ridiculous but the way it was shot was stunning.

The song's lyrics were also written by Altman's 14 year old son which I find interesting.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I nominate the opening for The L Word.

The girlfriend watched this show a while back. I watched some of it with her. The show itself is kinda whatever. But its intro... holy moly. It's so, so bad. I don't get what they were going for. I'm directly refering to the weird faux stop-motion here. The content of the images themselves is fairly normal, and does represent the characters and what the show is about. But how this content is presented... man. It's just bad. The song is bad too. Sorry.

Never watched this show but that song took me by surprise by how much it rocks.

Oct 26, 2017
THE ARE MANY COPIES.

And this. (Sorry, love you timothy!)

What? No. That's perfect for the show!

th

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
Community, only because the theme volume is 3x louder than the show. I recently rewatched it, mostly before bed, and had to ride the volume buttons or mute it every single night.