• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably happened to us all, in one way or another, either from friends, family, co-workers, in an article, forum, etc., but is there a spoiler that was impressed upon you on a particular media that just felt like it crushed your enthusiasm for it?

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
My aunt told me Jesus died and came back to life before I even finished the Old Testament

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
Friend posted the ending to How I met Your Mother with his reaction about it on his social media before I could watch it. I was kind of pissed.

My other friend spoiled the end of Heavy Rain for me thinking I had finished it.

Oct 25, 2017
This thread is dangerous so I will just post this with spoiler tags just in case and bail out before something I haven't seen gets spoiled :p

Someone on the old site spoiled the red wedding a week before the episode aired, damn book readers

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Red Dead Redemption 1 ending. Someone in the comment section of a Kotaku article spoiled it in one short sentence, about a week after it launched. I was only 10h or so into the story.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
My cousin spoiled the big KOTOR twist when we first started playing because he was reading about it online..

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
All the ones I can think of are when the spoiler is baked into the premise and advertising.

Like, in an ideal world I would have watched Groundhog Day completely blind, thinking it was just some stupid romcom with Bill Murray. But that's pretty much impossible.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bioshock Infinite, but from that point on I made an effort to get less bothered by them. I still like going in blind and avoiding spoilers but I realised its out of my hands.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The entire plot of FFXV got spoiled for us a couple months before it came out.

As someone who was waiting for that game for a DECADE it was pretty horrible.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I've been spoiled by the ending to Twin Peaks twice.

I didn't watch the original run until 2014 or so. I was trying to look up something random after watching the first episode and saw an image of Agent Cooper
with a bloody face laughing in the mirror.
So the whole time I was waiting for something to happen to him and it ended up being in the final shot.

Then, with the return, there was the leaked scene by TMZ showing
the very last shot of the season where a version of Cooper and "Carrie Page" show up at the Palmer house.

Didn't impact my enjoyment at all. If anything, it made it more enjoyable as I was trying to figure out what happened the entire time. Then again, I'm the kind of person who will read the entire plot synopsis to a show or movie before watching it.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bunch of assholes ruined a Tower of God character spoiler before the premiere of the first anime episode.
Something about the casual dickery of it soured me on entering on that topic again.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I got spoiled about Snape in Harry Potter book 6 from a bathroom in Best Buy when I literally just got to the chapter where it happens. I was pissed.

EzekelRAGE

Nov 3, 2017
Ned getting beheaded. Was like 2 episodes before it happened.

Was telling a friend how the show got me to start reading the book. They thought I was further in the book and spoiled it.

😞

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
The movie quarantine, it keeps showing the ending in all trailers, posters, and even the cover of the dvd

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
About 2 hours before going to see The Force Awakens on opening night, I was watching a Twitch stream and someone posted "HAN SOLO DIES" over and over.

I was like, you've got to be kidding me... Since then when theres a movie or game coming out I want to experience, I always turn off Twitch Chat.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Big Medic in MGSV. It wasn't someone looking to spoil but just the community theorycrafting leading into the game. It didn't really affect my view of the story or my enjoyment of the game though.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Thought I could avoid spoilers, just had to make it to Saturday. Thought I could take the risk of reading a comment on a Facebook New Yorker article of all things. First comment: "Kylo kills Han." In hindsight I can't say I care at all, but at the time I was pretty annoyed — and surprised that Star Wars shitposters were targeting New Yorker readers.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
In high school I got spoiled about the demise of a certain character from a certain Final Fantasy game.

Friend: "So where you at in the game?"
Me: "Uhhh.... this part"
Friend: "Oh is that before or after ________ dies?"
Me: "WHAT?!"
Friend: "Uhhh.... nothing. Nevermind."

If you've played any Final Fantasy game you know what I'm talking about, but I'm hoping that this is vague enough so that if anyone plays it in the future it won't mess with them. Can't put a timestamp on these things, you know?

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Youtube comment revealed who the killer was in Heavy Rain before the game had even released. I don't watch trailers anymore outside of announcement and initial gameplay reveals. I also don't click on the threads if the game is anywhere near release.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Thought I could avoid spoilers, just had to make it to Saturday. Thought I could take the risk of reading a comment on a Facebook New Yorker article of all things. First comment: "Kylo kills Han." In hindsight I can't say I care at all, but at the time I was pretty annoyed — and surprised that Star Wars shitposters were targeting New Yorker readers.

This was probably my worst one, too.

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
It was a Game of Thrones list of people that died this season article on comicbookmove.com. The link had a spoiler warning next to the title but it had a picture of one of those characters as the thumbnail. Absolute idiots.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
WB's trailer that spoiled Doomsday in Batman V Superman.

Can you imagine the surprise, the sudden ratcheting of tension and scope, when the movie you thought was a mutant combo of Dark Knight Returns and World's Finest turns out to secretly contain Death of Superman?

The movie didn't service Doomsday or the Death of Superman well, as an arc. Doomsday's only strength in the film would have been a surprise reveal. That second trailer spoiled that and burned the surprise for the sake of hype.

Then, WB studio management had enough lack of self-awareness to turn around and bitch about how much they spent on marketing, spoiling the one word-of-mouth surprise hook of the movie. Plus, they developed expectations that his brief appearance as a final macguffin couldn't support.

In fact, it was his appearance in the trailer that was the final clue the movie was, as Jeremy Irons put it, "a little overstuffed."

MrZaha

Jan 9, 2018
The promotional material for scream season 2 season finale where the killer would be revealed had pictures of one of the cast covered in blood holding the killers knife. Guess who turned out to be the killer.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Run up to Metal Gear Solid 4 when all of the press went to KojiPro to play the game, IGN took some pictures of the event, and just so happened to capture an image of the screen That ended up being the face of Big Bossfrom the ending.

I brainwashed myself into believing that it was a flashback scene and didn't count toward anything.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I got spoiled on
Han's death
in a Twitch chat before it came out. Kinda sucked but it didn't necessarily ruin it for me. After that I started to hide the chat on Twitch immediately almost every time I go there though, and still do.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
While I was catching up with One Piece, my friend was like, "Holy shit, I can't believe Ace died this week!!" Probably the only spoiler I've ever been upset about. I typically don't care.

Midgarian

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 16, 2020
Midgar
MGS4.

I didn't have a PS3 at the time it released and was doing well to avoid spoilers.

Then an asshole MSN acquaintance decided to just...drop spoilers in MSN chat. I can't remember what it was, Big Boss' return and Shadow Moses I think?

Pissed me off so much. I just couldn't handle it anymore and ended up watching a full gameplay only playthrough of the game on YouTube and then read the whole story on Wikipedia.

I would end up playing it myself a year later when PS3 Slim launched. I never warmed to this game despite loving MGS1-3. I'll never know if it's because of the haphazard way I experienced it or whether it's because it genuinely was a downgrade compared to the previous games.

The other one I did to myself.

FFVII. I first played it in 2010. I was early on in the game, the area between Sector 5 and Wall Market. During my downtime from playing I decided to listen to some of the OST on YouTube and in the motherfucking related videos...there it was. You know the one. Fuck sake.

Still my GOAT game though.

Eugene's Axe

Jan 17, 2019
A Watchmojo video spoiled me the ending of The Invisible Man the same day I rented it and before I got to watch it.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The day the first episode of JBA Golden Wind aired some selfish idiot in the OT decided to spoil a pretty huge reveal near the end of the part:

Polnareff appears and fights the boss

The guy didn't even apologize and he wasn't moderated. Good times.

Tomita

Oct 25, 2017
Age of Ultron:
Quicksilver getting killed
got spoiled to me before the movie was even officially in theaters in the US. This was extra frustrating because...

I was really looking forward to seeing Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch adapted and I think killing Pietro off -- especially in the very first movie he's in, vs like Infinity War or some shit -- is a fucking stupid idea. Whedon did it for "Wanda's character development" which tells me he knows jack shit about Wanda's character. Thank god he can't write for Marvel's female characters anymore.

Darkgable

Nov 3, 2017
Other than Endgame, where dickheads were posting on Facebook who died at the end, didn't spoil the enjoyment of the film.

My most annoying ones are on my Nvidia Shield console where the YouTube recommend icons on main page are spoiling the wrestling results with either the text, but mostly the tiles have showing a still of the main event winner or something huge on a surprise debut.

Yeah yeah I could always move the tiles down a few levels so they don't show on same screen.

Kronos

Mar 12, 2019
I was waiting in line with my group of friends to purchase The Force Awakens tickets opening night. Some 2 assholes were walking out having finished their viewing and where shouting out loud spoilers for everyone of us to hear.

Oct 27, 2017
The big death in The Force Awakens. Was just scrolling through my social media one day and was reading a comment or something before I knew what it was about.

Retromess

Teyvat Traveler
Nov 9, 2017
I didn't get into Breaking Bad until after the fourth season had ended.

It was around the time I had just seen the episode introducing Gus Fring that I saw a gif of his final scene - adjusting his tie and turning to reveal his face half blown off - on some random forum post. Really took the wind out of my enjoyment of that character knowing he didn't last very long, but also made me very curious to see what happened

PlateOfShrimp

Apr 16, 2020
I caught the last 10 minutes of Reservoir Dogs on TV when I was flipping through channels. Definitely removed some of the impact of that scene when I actually watched it, but it's not a big deal. The best movies are the ones you rewatch anyway, so I don't get too bummed out by spoilers.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
I have a vague idea of a time I was spoiled by a post on Facebook, but can't remember it now. I guess it didn't really matter.

Edit: Reverse non spoiler. I'm glad I never saw the 'What's up Danger' music video before watching Spiderman into the Spiderverse.