• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
That one scene from minute 0 to minute 133.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
It's kind of baffling how bad it is considering the massive hype build up for it.

I still remember the Pizza Hut and Pepsi promos.

AimLow

Dec 10, 2017
I actually enjoyed the Prequels for the most part, but my vote would be midichlorians. I didn't need a scientific explanation for the Force.

Oct 26, 2017
I just re-watched Phantom Menace last week, and while Jar Jar was annoying at times, the worst part was C3P0 and R2-D2 being crammed in there.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
jSxQz4.gif

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I'm going to be a contrarian and highlight what I think is the best part, which is some rad ship/vehicle design:
Naboo_Royal_Starship_SWE.png
wzyg0gly4pp11.jpg
898d3b7d0de703efd0a12444c79540ae_preview_featured.jpg

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
What the fuck was this supposed to be?

giphy.gif

A derisive Gumgan sneer at the mention of the name "Binks".

Scoop troop, get out your pens: actor Brian Blessed insisted the flesh of his costume be significantly more malleable in order to deliver that line with the same expressiveness as his real face, and it ended up requiring several million dollars worth of research and development. Lucas and Blessed are old friends, the former having met the latter on the set of Flash Gordon, and anything Blessed requested, Lucas greenlit. In the end, the effects team had to develop an entirely new kind of foam latex, which was later used as the basis of commercial memory foam. Your grandmother's memory foam pillow wouldn't exist without Blessed's derisive Gungan sneer.

Flash Gordon informed many of The Phantom Menace's production choices. Lucas has also admitted that his design language for the aliens of the Trade Federation was heavily influenced by Max von Sydow's portrayal of Ming the Merciless.

Sapiens

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A derisive Gumgan sneer at the mention of the name "Binks".

Scoop troop, get out your pens: actor Brian Blessed insisted the flesh of his costume be significantly more malleable in order to deliver that line with the same expressiveness as his real face, and it ended up requiring several million dollars worth of research and development. Lucas and Blessed are old friends, the former having met the latter on the set of Flash Gordon, and anything Blessed requested, Lucas greenlit. In the end, the effects team had to develop an entirely new kind of foam latex, which was later used as the basis of commercial memory foam. Your grandmother's memory foam pillow wouldn't exist without Blessed's derisive Gungan sneer.

Flash Gordon informed many of The Phantom Menace's production choices. Lucas has also admitted that his design language for the aliens of the Trade Federation was heavily influenced by Max von Sydow's portrayal of Ming the Merciless.
Please tell me this is all true.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Maul being stripped down to a silent bad guy with a cool toyable lightsaber. Could have been so much more.

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
The racial caricatures are what stick with me. Everything else is just bad, but the race stuff is just pure poison.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The racial caricatures are what stick with me. Everything else is just bad, but the race stuff is just pure poison.
Honestly, it's probably this for me too.

I appreciate those fan edits that turns them into an alien language with subtitles. Like... why didn't they just do THAT? Like in OTHER movies? Why the insanely racist foreign accents? Why did NO ONE say anything about it?!

h1nch

Dec 12, 2017
Dual of the Fates is literally the only good thing about this film.

Everything else about it is complete trash. Acting, story, script, cinematography, CG quality. Everything.

It is an embarrassment of a film.

Rhomega

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm going to be a contrarian and highlight what I think is the best part, which is some rad ship/vehicle design:
898d3b7d0de703efd0a12444c79540ae_preview_featured.jpg

Mars Guo and Ebe Endocott had the best designs. Props to Neva Kee for doing something new outside the "chariot" design.

My least favorite part was the climax. I love the Darth Maul battle...but juggling 3 other plotlines really gets in the way.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
As someone with a soft spot for TPM, it still has to be Jar Jar. Just the most annoying character imaginable who adds nothing to the film.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
The fact that pod racing took up most of the film. You could literally take out every single part of pod racing and the story would still be relevant. All they had to do is say "Jedi boy pilot cuz force" and shovel a dumb way for him to be "released" from his overly racist owner.

I loved those characters so much as a kid, only to open my eyes after watching them again and realising how racist some alien races were, just wow.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I remember that sinking feeling too about half way through the movie where I realized The Matrix (released just a few weeks prior) was like 100x better and far cooler than this movie, something that seemed laughably unbelievable just 4-5 months prior.

Oct 26, 2017
Watched it yesterday with my kids and they (and i) enjoyed it. I think kids enjoy Jar Jar.

I've always liked the world building and story in the prequels. They were all brought down, imo, by dialogue.

Brickhunt

Feb 4, 2018
Brazil
The insane hatred and vitrol this movie and the other prequels cause to Era folks. What the fuck? It's like I am watching some sort of hate plague taking place and I am, somehow, immune.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
Pod racing. That's the longest 45 minutes I've ever sat through in a movie.