• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been warming up to the thought that PM is the most redeemable of the prequels. It looks the best and is just overall more pointless and irrelevant than offensively terrible as the other two.

The trade embargo and intergalactic government relations parts are easily the worst. So jarring, confusing, and contrived.
That's not a good thing.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The fact that it's no longer the worst Star Wars movie. Thanks, Rian!
giphy.gif

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
For me, Jar Jar and the pacing. The concept and core of the story is sound. The movie is just very boring to watch. It starts off fine, and ends fine, but the middle portion drags, and I feel like so much could have been condensed and made tighter. Rewrite Jar Jar's character, and truncate all of the Gungan and Tatooine/Anakin stuff, and it could be a solid movie.

The script itself is just poorly written, so that's a large part of it. Lucas should have stayed story consultant, and let someone else write the screenplay. Another director may have been better, but it's not like he's a horrible director. He's definitely a better idea man.

Oh, I imagine not making Analin a kid would have done wonders too. A teen would have worked so much better. Like 15 or 16.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Also the entire charade of Queen Amidala having a decoy is just pointless.

Oct 27, 2017
The whole trade war thing. So fucking boring.
Felt like the only reason for the pod racer crap was to make a video game based on it.
Also the rest of the movie. Yippie!

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The moment the droid soldiers start speaking in squeaky joke voices and you realize this is your tone for the movie.

Actually, wait, it's this, the first moment of the first new Star Wars in sixteen years:

The-Phantom-Menace-opening-crawl.jpg

Squeaky joke voice robots and the taxation of trade routes being in dispute. Goody.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
If I had to pick one, probably Jar Jar generally being unbelievably annoying every time he went on camera. Topping it all off with him winning a battle by fucking up repeatedly.

Runners up are probably Anakin winning the space battle by pure chance and the whole side plot where the Jedi free Anakin but are all like "ehh can't be arsed" about saving his fucking mom.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The pod race aka the biggest pacing killer known to man.
I think everything before and after the pod race sucks. In fact when I was nine and seeing it in the cinema I remember thinking while they're sitting around yakking on Tatooine that this movie is a lot slower than I was expecting. Even my Star Wars fanboy kid mind was trying to tell me this movie was bad. But I do think the pod race itself is a well made action scene with excellent sound design, except for some of the goofy alien gags thrown in.

But it has very little to do with anything and since there's an eternity of glacial buildup (and is followed by the equally endless Coruscant boredom) you're quite right, it makes for a painfully slow second act.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
imagine walking into theaters in 1999, its been 15 years since the last star wars movie and you have watched ESB 100+ times

the crowds are hollering and screaming, the Lucas Film logo crawl shows up and everyone goes wild

then the crawl begins and it starts talking about taxes and trade disputes

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
imagine walking into theaters in 1999, its been 15 years since the last star wars movie and you have watched ESB 100+ times

the crowds are hollering and screaming, the Lucas Film logo crawl shows up and everyone goes wild

I was there. I remember.

SunnyD

Dec 3, 2017
Easily Jar Jar and I'm not even trying to be a hater. He's completely dissonant with the rest of the film.

Oct 25, 2017
The entire sequence before the pod race while the racers are prepping. We've got: the most convoluted bet of all time, Jar Jar gets farted on, a one-by-one introduction of George's mostly shitty alien designs, and it just being generally long and drawn out.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The awful fucking stereotypes that Watto, the Trade Federation, and Jar Jar have. It was bad enough at the time, but now it's so awful that it's hard to watch.
Aside from that pretty much everything is trash-tier except for the Maul battle and particularly the music for the Maul battle.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was there. I remember.
Same. It was grim.

I went to the cinema to watch the 3D rerelease in 2012 and I was shocked at just how bad the film was. Somehow I'd managed to block out the nonsense plot and agonisingly tone-breaking comedic scenes in the 13 intervening years. The podrace was still 100% legit though.

Worst part? I already said it, but it's probably the extremely forced comedy all the time. Star Wars had comedy driven by the characters ("boring conversation anyway HEY GUYS"), but Phantom Menace was just trying too hard, like a series of uninspired SNL sketches.

Edit: Also the choice to go all-in on CGI over practical effects. The 1999 CGI has aged the film extremely badly.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
It's not just one thing. Remove one of the following:

Jar-Jar
The childish humor
The bad acting
The bad dialogue
The politics

Would you have a good movie?

No, you would not.

TPM, like all of the prequels, suffers from the myriad effects of George Lucas's indulgent choices and questionable taste. He needed skilled collaborators to workshop the script, tell him "no," and make suggestions throughout pre-production and filming. The prequels failed because they weren't made under the scrappy, collaborative conditions that produced the Original Trilogy.

George Lucas isn't James Cameron. He shouldn't have final approval over every department, because he's first and foremost an idea guy. He doesn't write great dialogue, and he doesn't coach actors into delivering their best performances. His storytelling is prone to derailing itself. Lucas is the guy who should give creative direction to artists. He shouldn't be the great decider.

The fact that it's no longer the worst Star Wars movie. Thanks, Rian!
Fix your bad taste. Or at least feel enough shame that you don't broadcast it.

Last edited:

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
I never find Jar Jar offensive though...

In my opinion, the movie was entertaining.

But if it's the worst part of it, was...

Probably the clunky dialogues/acting?

Well, I'm sure George Lucas was responsible for those.

Feb 21, 2018
I actually just saw episodes 1, 2, 5, & 6 this past 2 weeks to get ready for 9 so I have some thoughts. The Phantom Menace had really impressive costumes, sets, music, effects, and action sequences.

I think what people don't like is the British accents. It doesn't feel like the Luke, Han, Vader, and Yoda we all knew and loved. At least that was my take but I may be biased as I kinda loved the podracing and unassuming script about foreign policy. Episode 1 is in my top 3 tbh.

Deleted member 11039

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The single worst thing?

I'll say Boss Nass. He manages to be even worse than Jar Jar he just happens to only be on screen a few times.

RawKeenCricket-size_restricted.gif

and he's center frame at the end

latest

All the aliens are terrible. The droid army is terrible. Young Anakin is terrible. Midichlorians are terrible. Virgin birth/prophecy is terrible.

It's the worst SW movie.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
I actually just saw episodes 1, 2, 5, & 6 this past 2 weeks to get ready for 9 so I have some thoughts. The Phantom Menace had really impressive costumes, sets, music, effects, and action sequences.

I think what people don't like is the British accents. It doesn't feel like the Luke, Han, Vader, and Yoda we all knew and loved. At least that was my take but I may be biased as I kinda loved the podracing and unassuming script about foreign policy. Episode 1 is in my top 3 tbh.
LMAO it's not the accents.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
This. The whole sequence of child Anakin bumbling his way through a space battle is just tortuously bad.
The whole bit of him "accidentally" firing up the ship, closing the cockpit, and setting a course for space, one by one in sequence, is just painful, especially as the second he's done bumbling into the exact correct scenario to join the space battle, he instantly goes "Oh here it is" and finds the obvious gun trigger he was looking for to start with. Hideously contrived. Pretty much every fanedit I ever saw (and TPM might be the most fanedited film ever) recut that to have him deliberately fire up the ship and join the fight instead.

Everyone remembers "spinning" and "now this is podracing" but that one shot after he fires the torpedoes (and of course, accidentally blows up the entire space station) of him going WOOOAAAH and bobbing his head from side to side like a jack in the box always stood out to me as godawful.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The whole bit of him "accidentally" firing up the ship, closing the cockpit, and setting a course for space, one by one in sequence, is just painful, especially as the second he's done bumbling into the exact correct scenario to join the space battle, he instantly goes "Oh here it is" and finds the obvious gun trigger he was looking for to start with. Hideously contrived. Pretty much every fanedit I ever saw (and TPM might be the most fanedited film ever) recut that to have him deliberately fire up the ship and join the fight instead.

Everyone remembers "spinning" and "now this is podracing" but that one shot after he fires the torpedoes (and of course, accidentally blows up the entire space station) of him going WOOOAAAH and bobbing his head from side to side like a jack in the box always stood out to me as godawful.
7f57f0zn8f1z.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Take your pick from either the racist stereotypes concealed under "aliens", the fact that they left Anakin's mother as a slave and never sent anyone back for her, or the film skewing too hard into "kid friendly shenanigans" that made for an abundance of cringe events/dialogue.

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
The single worst thing?

I'll say Boss Nass. He manages to be even worse than Jar Jar he just happens to only be on screen a few times.

RawKeenCricket-size_restricted.gif

and he's center frame at the end

latest

All the aliens are terrible. The droid army is terrible. Young Anakin is terrible. Midichlorians are terrible. Virgin birth/prophecy is terrible.

It's the worst SW movie.
Them awkwardly standing around while he holds this inexplicable big glowing thing that looks like it's about to explode and take out half the city, what an ending shot.
Perhaps that was their sinister plan to get rid of those Gungans, "Yes, we are friends now, please accept this wholly inert symbol of peace, take it back to your underwater city won't you? Keep it in a center of most structural load bearing, it will compliment your architecture".

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That the droids landed on the opposite side of the planet they needed to be at

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The worst part of TPM is that it's really just a mediocre film that nobody has shut up about for the past two decades.

It's not great, but it's also not the irredeemable travesty the internet has built it up into. It just is.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

giphy.gif

^my reaction was probably something similar.