• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Force_XXI

Oct 29, 2017
giphy.gif

makonero

Oct 27, 2017
I joined the alpha for DC's MOBA, Infinite Crisis. I had never played a MOBA before but I loved DC characters and I wanted to try. After my first match (where I was totally lost and just trying to get my bearings) I got told that this was for experienced players only, not babies and that I should leave.

I gave it a few more rounds before the lack of any kind of courtesy or understanding pushed me away.

Nov 1, 2017
GAF/Resetera is pretty fucking terrible for anything Xenoblade related lol. GameFAQs of all places was much better for discussion/speculation.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Era if I'm being honest, and particularly so when it comes to anything even tangentially related to consumer advocacy.

I rarely if ever play video games online, so I don't really have any issues with game-specific communities. All of my social gaming is done IRL.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
when I was like 11 someone tried to scam me in Phantasy Star Online by asking for credit card info so I could run around as Sonic the Hedgehog, that fiend

Metal Gear Online 2 wasn't at all welcoming to rookies, to the extent I got friendly fired upon because I made a simple mistake in my first match ever

FFXIV's community is mostly nice but some people get real petty and impatient later on, people who say it's a 100% friendly experience are either extremely lucky or roll with a very chill, understanding guild.

But yeah there are plenty of racist and sexist communities out there, if being caught in an occasional argument about something as mundane as a video game's mechanics makes Resetera the worst community you've ever experienced, you've lived a pretty blessed online life

Last edited:

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
based on watching my friend play in university way back, OG WC3-DOTA. that shit was toxic as fuck to newbs lol

if you know, you know.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
Ya'll saying "Resetera" without cracking a smile are a trip. I wish I could go to other big gaming communities and not have to put up somebody eventually talking about """equality in women sports""" or """all lives matter""" and having a bunch of chucklefucks all agreeing without a mod in sight. Hope you appreciate that privilege- oops, sorry bad word, let's go with "gamer cred".

Like clockwork, people saying how scared they are to catch a ban for saying what they think. Yeah, that does indicate a problem but I dont think you understand *where* the problem lies.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Ya'll saying "Resetera" without cracking a smile are a trip. I wish I could go to other big gaming communities and not have to put up somebody eventually talking about """equality in women sports""" or """all lives matter""" and having a bunch of chucklefucks all agreeing without a mod in sight. Hope you appreciate that privilege- oops, sorry bad word, let's go with "gamer cred".

Like clockwork, people saying how scared they are to catch a ban for saying what they think. Yeah, that does indicate a problem but I dont think you understand *where* the problem lies.
The moderation is the best part about this community. There is plenty of right wing sites already on the internet for them to "say what they think." They can take that garbage elsewhere.

Malakym

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2019
The moderation is the best part about this community. There is plenty of right wing sites already on the internet for them to "say what they think." They can take that garbage elsewhere.

I'm not going to sit here and claim that things are perfect here at all, but people acting like this place is some sort of toxic hellhole is wild. Like, when I first came here and actually saw a blatantly transphobic post with a note saying the person had been banned for it, that shook me.

I'll just say this: when I have to listen to thirsty dudes talk about women in games having "weird faces" or "bitchy attitudes", I find that shit toxic. If someone has a problem with that being discouraged... well that kinda tells me what I need to know.

Oct 25, 2017
Moon Guard (US) in World of Warcraft during TBC and Wrath and probably just the game in general

Some of the most vindictive and toxic people I have ever come across.

Played the game for almost a year with my girlfriend and after a while she basically had to only roll a male character because her female character would get sexually harassed constantly. It was worse during school breaks because children were always online then.

It was horrible.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
On my own experiences, it's easily Overwatch. Second place is probably Team Fortress 2 in recent memory, the past couple of years the playerbase has gotten extremely insufferable both in and out of the game. Though I don't play mobas, I imagine DOTA and League are miles worse based purely off anecdotes.

Deleted member 13015

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can I count Twitch.tv?

Not all chat's though, but I've experienced a lot of :

Toxic chat, toxic Discords based on Twitch channels, harassing streamers/other chat members... Constant negative talk about the streamer, other chat members, themselves... No positivity to be seen for miles.

Just be careful on Twitch and who you talk to.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Baldur's Gate's subreddit after BG3's combat looked like Divinity 2's. People on the Apex subreddit got too much time on their hands too.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those Dota pictures are hysterical lol. For me, I gotta go back to the CoD4-Black Ops 2 crowd. There was soooooooooooooooo much garbage back then. I don't play modern multiplayer games though so I can't attest. This whole thread is making me wonder if the communities is part of why I don't lol.

I do wanna give a shoutout to ResetEra. Other than being decent human beings most of the time, the fact that I can actually read what's being said here instead of half the shit on GameFAQs is great. Also, Reddit as well. Some places are pure scum but the subreddits for specific games are usually pretty damn good.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
  • Starcraft 2, because Blizzard doesn't action any reports. This happened only a few days ago. NSFW, I guess.
  • Halo has been incredibly bad during the Xbox 360 times, but can't say that people bothered me too much during this gen.
  • Rainbow Six Siege on PC is still a nightmare. Forgot to disable chat after a reinstall, which was a big mistake.
  • The "community" of a known playstation fanboy, who send his followers after me, for a thing that I don't remember anymore (I think it was related to KH).

Mik317

Oct 25, 2017
all of them.

the simple idea that maybe someone does not like the thing you like or vice versa is something that many cannot seem to grasp and it tanks a lot of communities lol. You are then either a scrub, noob loser; a sexist POS racist; a SjW sNowFlake; <insert company here> fanboy or whatever is the new hot way to dismiss anyone's opinion. It simply makes it hard to even discuss anything because those vocal minority types often take over the whole conversation. There are still some pockets of "civilized" peeps but you gotta work to find it lol.

another type of person that has hurt communities IMO is the person who acts like their speculation or opinion is pure fact and will often jump in and rain on parades to make sure none of that shit flies lol.

basically I think people have to work on thinking outside of just their own perspective, myself included, but some really live in their own worlds and dominate the discussion as if everyone also occupies that same mind space.

Yourfawthaaa

Nov 2, 2017
Bronx, NY
Call of duty community.

the ones that always shit talk in the lobby, get curb stomped and wanna call/message you the N word after the match. "1V1 me bro"...shutup lol

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
As far as an actual game, Dota 2, hands down.

Worst gaming community in general I know of is current NeoGAF. It's turned into a transparently bigoted right-wing cesspool.

Homura

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 20, 2019
ALL gaming forums range from bad to shit (including ResetEra).

As for actual games, Smash.
"WHY DID YOU NOT ADD MY FAVORITE CHARACTER OMG
FUCK YOU SAKURAI I HOPE YOU DIE YOU STUPID HACK"
Fuck them.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
It's been the better part of a decade since I've been on XBL, but I remember MW2 lobbies being pretty fucking bad. Dota 2 is supposedly the worst but I only know it by reputation. More recently what I've seen of the Square Enix fans on Twitter has made me want to vomit.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
crossing naughty dog fans at the height of uncharted 2's popularity wasn't fun.

SupremeWu

Banned
Dec 19, 2017
OP: 'Hey guys I wanted to talk about this new car racing game'

1st reply: 'you know whats a great car racing game? bloodborne!'

2nd reply: 'this is now a Fromsoft thread'

That's you people. YOU, people.

Nocturno

Oct 27, 2017
Dota 2. But a lot of that is inherent of the MOBA genre.

Mobas punish the loser way too harshly for a long period and people start to point fingers, whine, etc.