• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
ACIV Black Flag's ship stealth missions. You basically have to sail slowly, following behind at a certain distance. You have to veer away from watchtowers but it's otherwise a single path. There's no real thinking behind it.

Ruisu

Banned
Aug 1, 2019
Brasil
The first time doing the ones in Spider-Man, I was fine, it was even kinda entertaining.

But every time I replay it it just shows how absurdly linear they are and at that point they become a chore since you don't really get anything out of it.
The actual stealth sections playing as Spider-Man are much better since you get the freedom to just approach it as you like, so it's super weird how they made these ones with MJ and Miles so bad.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Stealth sections in most games are absolutely awful if a game isn't designed around stealth. What makes developers think it's a good idea to invent some rudimentary stealth mechanics to pad out the game? It's just a bad idea to extend the length of the game. Either the game already includes stealth mechanics as a fundamental part of the experience, or the stealth mechanics won't be fleshed out enough to actually be meaningful.

The ones in Zelda: Breath of the Wild are pretty bad and completely unrelated to the game.

I mean:
Outside of the stealth sections those ninja have to pray they do not encounter Link as he is usually able to mince them in 2 seconds. Then, magically, in the ninja den they insta-kill you...

Worst part of the game (and the DLC!) and it feels heavily forced.
I brute forced my way through that part, lol.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I personally can't stand stealth sections in FPS games. A Wolfenstein game does this and it was just simply annoying to me.

I also dislike the stealth sections in Gravity Rush 2. A game all about free movement and interacting with gravity restricting your movements.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man's stealth sections aren't really bad. They're very lenient and fast to get through. I guess a lot of people mention it because it's the game we've all played recently.

For me it's the stealth Batmobile sections in Arkham Knight. I get Batman being stealthy but the Batmobile too? Nobody wanted that shit.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
Stealth sections in most games are absolutely awful if a game isn't designed around stealth. What makes developers think it's a good idea to invent some rudimentary stealth mechanics to pad out the game? It's just a bad idea to extend the length of the game. Either the game already includes stealth mechanics as a fundamental part of the experience, or the stealth mechanics won't be fleshed out enough to actually be meaningful.

The stupid part in forced stealth in Breath of the Wild is that the game ALREADY provides good means to stealth-approach most of situations, so sections just based on this (like you "attault" that-certain-building) would have worked WAY better than the awful stealth sections.

Harbinger00

Oct 27, 2017
Ship Stealth- AC Black Flag. You had to stealth through enemy waters in your big ass pirate ship.
That whole mission was a pain.

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Every superhero game that take away your powers to do stupid grounded missions for the sake of variety.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
Another vote for Lords of Shadow 2.

Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days has some bad ones too. They're really short but they still are pretty bad.

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Spider-Man's stealth sections aren't really bad. They're very lenient and fast to get through. I guess a lot of people mention it because it's the game we've all played recently.

For me it's the stealth Batmobile sections in Arkham Knight. I get Batman being stealthy but the Batmobile too? Nobody wanted that shit.
Spider-Man's friends' stealth sections are bad though, even compared to the stealth tank battles in Arkham Knight. AK never having instant game over moments when you're caught make them inherently better. You can actually flee, and then attack the targets which is also just more engaging.

SM's aren't that lenient, especially the later ones. I remember the penthouse sequence being trapped in a hallway because the guards didn't go back to their normal routes. I was either blazing through those sections with a trial and error approach, or waiting for boring patrols with nothing else to do

These sequences are probably as easy as one another, but one of them has gameplay that feels somewhat related to the core game (attacking though stealth) and i'll Take that every time

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017
It's hard for me to pick a worst one, because I hate them all so goddamn much. But here's a few:

-Gerudo Fortress in OoT
-Yiga Clan Hideout in BotW
-Miles/MJ in Spider-Man
-Tailing missions in Assassin's Creed games.

Stealth sections in action games are like water levels in platformers. They're shit, everyone knows they're shit, and they need to go away forever.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
The one that always sticks in my mind was in the Sherry & Jake campaign of Resident Evil 6. I just remember hating it so much and being so frustrated by how bad it was.

Oct 25, 2017
All of them. I hate stealth sections in every game I play. They're never well thought out, usually clunky, and almost always a serious buzzkill. Talk about a pace-killer.

But Zelda stealth sections stick out to me immediately. Not the worst, I don't think, but definitely not cool because of how much I love Zelda games. Gerudo Fortress, Yiga Clan, the garden in OoT... Please stop making me sneak around.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think they've ever been done well, honestly. I remember particularly hating the ones at the beginning of Wind Waker and Uncharted 2, though. Yiga Clan in BOTW was pretty bad too.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Spiderman

I decided to do a second run and just gave up when I hit the first Miles section.

Some games handle a change of pace well, this drops the ball hard though lol

Spider-Man's Mary Jane moments, like we're in the year 2018 and we're still having stealth sections with fail sates f you get caught?

I also never liked Assasin's creeds eavesdrop moments.

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
The first level of Infinite Undiscovery. Not only did it suck, but it had nothing to do with the JRPG gameplay of the rest of the game, and it was right at the beginning. Probably scared so many players away.

There was a stealth section there? It's been a while, the only thing I remember about that part was how on the hardest difficulty setting, the very first fight in the game against the two nameless guards was also by far the toughest.

On-topic, the entire game was arse but there's a special place in hell for Cait Sith's sections in Dirge of Cerberus.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
The Hulk Movie tie in game. It's mostly hilarious though, because if you get caught, you lose because you Hulk out.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Gravity Rush 2. Putting stealth sections in that kind of game is criminal.

Tryptobphan

Dec 22, 2017
I'm going to chime in and say Spider-Man as well. Those were annoying sections of an otherwise great game.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any game where you have to follow someone without them detecting you. Never fun and always feels broken.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the stealth sections in Spider-Man and Gravity Rush 2 are receiving an undue amount of criticism here. Did either game have good stealth missions? Absolutely not. However, the mechanics worked, the implementation was just okay. Now, the stealth in something like Uncharted 3 is TRULY awful. Like, impressively so. Thankfully the game doesn't force you to use it (you fight once you fail the stealth component). Still, really awful. Similarly, BotW's stealth sections are just so, so bad. There aren't many of them, but they are incredibly tedious. And unlike in Uncharted, there is at least one mission that forces you to use those mechanics. BotW's stealth sections are probably the worst we have seen this generation.

Last edited:

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd say Spider-Man because the last stealth mission where you actually have all the gadgets was fun. They all should have been like that.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished the campaign of the latest COD and there's a really boring stealth section where you're guiding an individual through an embassy filled with terrorists. It's not egregiously bad, moreso boring.

Stealth sections suck

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
That one FFXV chapter was really bad. The order 1886 also had one terrible stealth level.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Gravity Rush 3 should abandon all stealth sections when it gets inevitably made.

Also the Spiderman stealth sections suck dick, they should also get removed in the sequel.

Viale

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man ain't bad. It wad overblown then and it's overblown now.

Gravity rush 2. Now that had some terrible stealth sequences. Yiga hideout was also meh. I've heard that you can freeze them if you upgrade stasis which I imagine makes it notably better.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Probably the Zero Suit portion of Metroid: Zero Mission. It's the worst part (and arguably only bad part) about that game.

Pyramid Head

Oct 27, 2017
One and done.

It's probably the worst section I've played in any game. Not just stealth. Any section.
We talking that garden, with the leaves, and that bullshit demon who flies out and insta-kills you if you step on them? The game tries to explain it by telling you he's so powerful, you couldn't possibly take him on, then you have a boss fight against him and kill him in the next section.
Bullshit shitty game.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
Gravity Rush 2 is super weird for it since the first game had a single forced stealth section that lasted like 5 minutes, then in the sequel they decide this tiny portion of the game should be a prominent recurring thing. As much as I adore the series, holy shit the stealth sections are really really bad.

Chewie

Nov 29, 2017
Hungary
Someone should rename the thread to include Spiderman and Gravity Rush 2 in its title.

(yeah, I would say either of those two in recent memory)

Oct 27, 2017
The ones in Zelda: Breath of the Wild are pretty bad and completely unrelated to the game.

I mean:
Outside of the stealth sections those ninja have to pray they do not encounter Link as he is usually able to mince them in 2 seconds. Then, magically, in the ninja den they insta-kill you...

Worst part of the game (and the DLC!) and it feels heavily forced.
Yeah this - in a game lauded for its free approach to world discovery and exploration, this section sticks out like a sore thumb. It isn't the worst it's just narratively poor.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting, because I think the best & worst examples of stealth in non-stealth games are both from the best superhero games.

The best is Batman: Arkham Asylum and it's sequels. You get to feel like a horror movie monster. You get to flex your creativity in how to dispatch people. It's one of those things about those games that totally nails being Batman.

The worst is Spider-Man. Spider-Man is so fun to play that getting shunted into a normie is doubling annoying, but the fact that there are 3 (4?) or those missions in the game really rubs salt in the wound.

SkekesisVR

Jan 2, 2018
Ship Stealth- AC Black Flag. You had to stealth through enemy waters in your big ass pirate ship.
That whole mission was a pain.

This was my immediate thought when I saw the thread title. It's like the epitome of worst Assassin Creed stealth missions., which are already really bad. It's the same broken stealth formula of stay close but not too close, but now with clunky controls where its more difficult to steer your character / speed up/ stop. And all the vertical traversal taken out. I almost stopped playing