• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I'm on about games that for 90% of the experience let you play one way, but then have that one level where you're forced into stealth and it just doesn't feel right at all. I really don't enjoy the super restrictive ones at all, where you're forced into a very strict path doing exactly what the game is telling you to do with little to no freedom. I feel like Call of Duty is particularly bad for this sometimes.

Angeal78

Game Producer at MistWall Studio
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Castlevania Lord of Shadows 2 all the stealth sections.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on about games that for 90% of the experience let you play one way, but then have that one level where you're forced into stealth and it just doesn't feel right at all. I really don't enjoy the super restrictive ones at all, where you're forced into a very strict path doing exactly what the game is telling you to do with little to no freedom. I feel like Call of Duty is particularly bad for this sometimes.

I enjoy the quieter moments of COD where you have to use stealth and have to rely on silencers and stuff... brings back those memories of GoldenEye where you could just be covert the entire time.

I didn't enjoy the Spider-Man MJ/Miles stealth missions... was just jarring to play

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I wasn't a fan of the Spider-Man ones. They weren't difficult, just tedious, and clearly should've been optional side missions that were used as padding for the main story.

OP
OP
GurrenSwagann

GurrenSwagann

Sep 20, 2018
I enjoy the quieter moments of COD where you have to use stealth and have to rely on silencers and stuff... brings back those memories of GoldenEye where you could just be covert the entire time.

I didn't enjoy the Spider-Man MJ/Miles stealth missions... was just jarring to play

Oh yeah I probably should have worded it better, I meant more the stealth sections that feel like they're on rails and you have to crawl or walk a certain way at exactly the right time otherwise its basically an instant game over

demu

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon on the PS2. It was bad and too scary for my 11 year old ass, so I quit the game.

benbeau

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're probably not the worst, but the stealth sections in Spider-Man where you don't play as Spider-Man are a pretty annoying part of an otherwise great game.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man. Very linear stealth sections which just felt so dated for a 2018 open world game.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Anytime Gravity Rush 2 threw in a stealth section. You can literally alter gravity and yet your stuck doing forced stealth rubbish all too many times in the game...

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The stealth sections in Spider-Man. I think the first one or two were fine, but then they just kept doing it and felt like a total pace killer.

The Yiga Clan Hideout in BOTW wasn't my favorite either, I didn't hate it but it's definitely one of my lesser liked sections of the game.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I don't know if it was the worst, but I really hated it in Beyond Good and Evil.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Spiderman

I decided to do a second run and just gave up when I hit the first Miles section.

Some games handle a change of pace well, this drops the ball hard though lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BOTW's was pretty damn bad, especially since the boss of the area was such a joke.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I wouldn't say worse but I wish insomniac let you skip the shitty MJ/Miles sections like they let you skip the shitty puzzles and radio towers.

Those missions crush the pacing and kill any campaign replay attempts.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
The part in Tony Hawk's Underground where you have to sneak outta Moscow after Eric Sparrow gets you kicked off the team for hijacking a tank.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's probably something worse I'm forgetting but I hated it in Wind Waker. Spiderman's are annoying but they're easy enough for me not to rank them among the worst.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Spider-Man ones stick out in my mind as the most jarring pace breakers; mainly because Spider-Man as a character and his feature set is already inherently stealthy so there's no point in placing you in the shoes of other characters just to play stealthy. Playing as nerfed characters is redundant, those sections were neither fun nor were they captivating enough in a narrative way to justify their presence.

Really don't know what they were thinking with the MJ/Miles missions. Rather than shoehorning them in, I wished they designed more areas where stealth approaches with Spider-Man was an optimal, yet fully optional route.

Pand

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any stealth section that has an insta-fail state if you're discovered. It's always annoying.

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
the cthulhu game on game pass... when the grisly comes out of the painting... for a game that was so straightforward, and i was so fully invested in, it was uninstalled in seconds after my 20th failed attempt!

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
In Assassin's Creed games you could usually fail a stealth section, return later and approach it differently.

The AC3 "King Washington" DLC had extended insta-fail stealth sections. Only AC DLC in the line to that point I haven't finished.

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019
They're probably not the WORST but whenever I think bad forced stealth sections in games, I think The Legend of Zelda. Pretty much all of the 3D games feature one at some point and they're never fun for me, just tedious.

Oct 29, 2017
The first level of Infinite Undiscovery. Not only did it suck, but it had nothing to do with the JRPG gameplay of the rest of the game, and it was right at the beginning. Probably scared so many players away.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
Stealth in any of the GTA games and also RDR2 which makes you go where they want you to, nowhere else.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Observer was particularly bad about this. The rest of the game was fantastic but the few stealth segments were just so... so bad.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Practically all non stealth games that force stealth instead of making it an option are usually done horribly. The core design of the game never ends up meshing well enough for me compared to ones where it was fully designed around stealth as an option(Deus ex/MGS/thief/splinter cell)

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth

The ones in Zelda: Breath of the Wild are pretty bad and completely unrelated to the game.

I mean:
Outside of the stealth sections those ninja have to pray they do not encounter Link as he is usually able to mince them in 2 seconds. Then, magically, in the ninja den they insta-kill you...

Worst part of the game (and the DLC!) and it feels heavily forced.

Dr. Nick Riviera

alt account
Banned
Apr 30, 2020
LA Noire had some pretty bad stealth. Tailing someone in a 1940's boat of a car is just ridiculous, as are the on-foot "hide behind a tree" and "open up a newspaper" methods of "stealth". Thankfully, Noire had the "3 strikes and your out" option, which I always put to good use.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Life is Strange stands out to me. I recently went through Bully as well, had quite a few frustrating stealth segments. Luckily the AI was usually busted in your favor

Battlefield games also have pretty bad stealth, like the AI system is not meant for that at all.

I dont think those games are built for AI at all, at least up to the ones I played lol. They were always so dumb in BF4 and everything prior