• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The worst best picture nominee of the last 10 years is...

• The Blind Side

Votes: 85 15.7%
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Votes: 86 15.9%
  • The Help

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Vice

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Green Book

Votes: 94 17.3%
  • Bohemian Rhapsody

Votes: 215 39.7%
  • other

Votes: 33 6.1%

• Total voters

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody.

it felt like a watered down made-for-tv version of the real story of Queen, they skipped a lot of the nitty gritty stuff, went straight to their "best hits" and then it was over. I also still think Sacha Baron Cohen would've been a better Freddie over Rami.

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I thought American Hustle was pretty much just straight up trash

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
I have to ask: why?

It would probably be in the top 10 for me. It's certainly a lot better than everything not called The Favourite or Roma from this year's nominees.

Because as far as musicals go: the songs are shit, the singing is bad, and the story is formulaic and typical against a backdrop of such privileged, boring white people problems.

But yes the worst nominee is Bohemian

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Green Book, because goddamn, did we REALLY need a another feel-good white savior movie for white people to feel better about their own diet racism?

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Well, the person I was replying said:

I interpreted that as the movie being bad just because it is appropriating jazz music. Black Panther is appropriating a typically white genre. I don't think anyone would argue that it's a bad film because of that.

The debate around La La Land being problematic is kinda tired. People often create art about the things they know or have experienced and Chazelle happens to be a priviledged white filmmaker that wanted to be a jazz musician at some point in his life. So it is quite natural that he has directed two films that are about aspiring white jazz musicians. Also if a character in a film says or does something "problematic", it doesn't mean that the film is automatically problematic.
With what you just said in this post I dunno what to say to you at this point so I'm out of this instance of this conversation. *Throws hands up in confusion*

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody for me because of the terrible editing (winner best film editing btw)

Gives me a headache.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
CostlyShadyAfricanjacana-small.gif

Deleted member 6949

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody probably. The rest of the movies in the OP have some element that is well done, even if they were bad overall and didn't deserve to win awards. Bohemian Rhapsody is bad filmmaking on every level.

Rygar1126

Oct 27, 2017
It's Extremely Loud, and I'm not sure anything else even comes close. It's one of the worst films to be nominated period.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Of the films I've seen, American Sniper, and Hacksaw Ridge I found to be laughably bad in places, Silver Linings Playbook (only half watched, so I'm reticent to count it) seemed utterly forgettable, so I'm surprised it even got a nomination.

Looking forward to The Goldfinch inevitably joining this ignoble list.

Last edited:

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
The only movies I've seen on this list are Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody.
I enjoyed BR well enough, but it absolutely did not deserve a nomination.

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I have to say I'm a bit surprised by Green Book being 2nd in this poll. I originally was going to do the poll with only The Blind Side, Extremely Close and Bohemian Rhapsody because those felt to me like the obvious choices. I mean the fact that Green Book actually won is really really terrible but I feel like it is still mostly a well done yet sentimental and unambitious film.

Both Green Book and Bohemian Rhapsody probably also gain votes due to recency bias and by being more widely seen by era members than The Blind Side or Extremely Close.

I personally would pick The Blind Side. It is cliched, sentimental and kinda racist. It's like one of those low budget christian movies that only get theatre distribution in the US except it has Sandra Bullock instead of Kevin Sorbo.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody.

Rocketman is a better film in almost every way, yet won't get anywhere near the recognition.

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't seen any of the ones in the poll because I'm pretty sure they're all bad.

I absolutely loathed Birdman though, and someone mentioned that, so I'll go with that.

Although if Incredibly Loud and Obnoxiously Cloying is anything like the book, I might hate that even more.

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Most "bad" Academy Award nominees are middling films that don't really deserve the distinction as one of the best movies of the year, but are also often not necessarily the worst.

Bohemian Rhapsody is the rare nominee that is actually a fucking awful movie. It's incredibly by the book, insanely manipulative in regards to homosexual relationships, extremely disrespectful of its subject, utterly fails as a biopic as about the big emotional moments of the movie never even happened (not in a 'from a certain point of view'-way, they actually never fucking happened) and of course, it's made by an actual rapist.

Oh, and Rami Malek winning best actor was also some bullshit. He just did a pantomime performance of Freddie Mercury, mimicking ain't acting.

Fuck Bohemian Rhapsody.

Last edited:

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Easily Manchester By The Sea. One of the worst movies of the decade. Hated every frame of it.

Nov 27, 2017
I haven't seen Extremely Loud, but from what I've read about it, I think that would be my vote. Of the other ones, it's The Blind Side.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
Honorable mention to The Reader, 2008.

It was nominated, but Wall-E, Zodiac and The Dark Knight weren't.

higemaru

Nov 30, 2017
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Absurd pick, even at the time. Bohemian Rhapsody is a good pick too, especially considering the director.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Oscar religiously but I don't remember a movie titled Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

winjet81

Oct 27, 2017
Bohemian Rhapsody was terrible.

Among many problems, I found the horrible prosthetics and wigs to be mind-blowingly comical; worse than the spy get-ups in The Americans.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
American Hustle was maybe the movie with the highest level of hype/praise and the lowest level of quality I've ever seen. It had OK performances, but everything else was really bad. The story was really boring and I couldn't have cared less about it, the characters (though well acted) were all boring, the movie wasn't funny, I could go on. I really had no idea what others saw in it, but I saw nothing in it.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Green Book is definitely the worst winner but the film itself isn't terrible - even if it's incredibly formulaic and old school white man oscar voter bait.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close on the other hand is a thoroughly saccharine film unworthy of the nomination in the first place.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Golden Globes should be embarrassed that they gave the best drama award to Bohemain Rhapsody.

Though I guess that's why no one takes them seriously and they can only get people to watch when they hire Ricky Gervais to poop on people.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
American Hustle was maybe the movie with the highest level of hype/praise and the lowest level of quality I've ever seen. It had OK performances, but everything else was really bad. The story was really boring and I couldn't have cared less about it, the characters (though well acted) were all boring, the movie wasn't funny, I could go on. I really had no idea what others saw in it, but I saw nothing in it.
oh wow yeah, forgot about this movie it was so unforgettable