• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

The worst best picture nominee of the last 10 years is...

• The Blind Side

Votes: 85 15.7%
  • Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

Votes: 86 15.9%
  • The Help

Votes: 16 3.0%
  • Vice

Votes: 13 2.4%
  • Green Book

Votes: 94 17.3%
  • Bohemian Rhapsody

Votes: 215 39.7%
  • other

Votes: 33 6.1%

• Total voters

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Don't forget that Bohemian portrays same-gender relationships as predatory, whether intending to or not, while also seeming to erase Freddie's bisexuality, implying he jumped from straight to gay, and his "turning" gay was due to experiencing the "Hollywood lifestyle" of drugs and other corruption.

So it's not just a subpar movie, it's as problematic as some of the others on this list- albeit, in a different way.

Article about it: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/b...ay-bi-erasure-straightwashing-1202017372/amp/

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
It's been more than 10 years, but I'm still going with "The Reader".

Barely 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, nominated for Best Picture of DOZENS of much better films.

My roommate and I both watched it and, yeesh, it was actively insulting to the audience's intelligence.
Weinstein Oscar campaigning at its finest/worst.

The Academy do also seem to like Stephen Dauldry much more than the critics or the audience. He has three best picture nominations out of five films directed. That's one more than PT Anderson and the same amount as the Coens.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Don't forget that Bohemian portrays same-gender relationships as predatory, whether intending to or not, while also seeming to erase Freddie's bisexuality, implying he jumped from straight to gay, and his "turning" gay was due to experiencing the "Hollywood lifestyle" of drugs and other corruption.

So it's not just a subpar movie, it's as problematic as some of the others on this list- albeit, in a different way.

Article about it: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/b...ay-bi-erasure-straightwashing-1202017372/amp/

Wow, wtf. I hadn't really been paying attention to this one, that's really messed up to hear. Hollywood stays gross as hell.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
I left it out because it was better received (according to Metacritic) than all the films in the poll and even some that were not in it (Les Miserables, Lion, Hacksaw Ridge, Inglourious Basterds).

Personally, I don't think it's that bad though I agree that the choice to end it with real footage is pretty terrible.

Interesting. I would have assumed that critics would have torn that film apart. Guess not though.

Wilson

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's fairly clearly Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. It's not as problematic as many others that have been nominated but fucking hell it's a terrible film.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
It's been more than 10 years, but I'm still going with "The Reader".

Barely 63% on Rotten Tomatoes, nominated for Best Picture of DOZENS of much better films.

My roommate and I both watched it and, yeesh, it was actively insulting to the audience's intelligence.
Kate Winslet's performance in that movie is better than any performance in the poll, though. But yeah, it was quite forgettable.

Oct 31, 2017
Green Book is a trite film without considering the terrible feel good racism it sells to white boomer target audience

It's trash all the way around

jml

Mar 9, 2018
In 10 years it will not be in the list because everyone is going to go 'what movie?'
I don't even like La La Land because of my irrational hatred of musicals in general but I disagree, I think that movie's gonna have more staying power than 90+% of the Best Picture nominees this decade. There's no question in my mind that more people are going to be watching that in 2029 than people who watch The King's Speech or The Help.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
2018 was really bad. I enjoyed Vice, Bohemian Rhapsody, and Black Panther, but they had no business being nominated. I'm going to go with Black Panther. There is nothing that really makes it stand apart from the pack.

Not getting the La La Land hate... I don't like musicals, but I like that one.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Got to be something from 2012 (The Artist, Extremely close, Hugo Cabret, War Horse) or 2018 (Green Book, Black Panther, Bohemian Rhapsody).

Those were some weak years.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Look, I get that Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book are morally offensive, but Dunkirk damn near put me to sleep.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Worst? Black Panther.

IMO it did not deserve to be nominated. It was just one in the line of MCU films.

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Out if context this question is wild

In context, why was this even a question
Well, the person I was replying said:
And of course, like Green Book there is the racial element. It is appropriating a typical black genre.
I interpreted that as the movie being bad just because it is appropriating jazz music. Black Panther is appropriating a typically white genre. I don't think anyone would argue that it's a bad film because of that.

The debate around La La Land being problematic is kinda tired. People often create art about the things they know or have experienced and Chazelle happens to be a priviledged white filmmaker that wanted to be a jazz musician at some point in his life. So it is quite natural that he has directed two films that are about aspiring white jazz musicians. Also if a character in a film says or does something "problematic", it doesn't mean that the film is automatically problematic.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go with Black Panther. There is nothing that really makes it stand apart from the pack.
One of the few films in Hollywood that has executed a portrayal of Afrofuturism in a progressive and thoughtful manner with solid writing and acting performances in a genre where those are few and far between. Tackled thematic elements (very effectively in some cases, simply alright in others) that have been completely ignored or barely explored in the comicbook films. Non-whitewashed award winning costuming, scoring and design that represented the African diaspora authentically unlike the vast majority of Hollywood films. Critically acclaimed and regarded as one of the best comicbook movies ever produced.

I'd say it was well deserving of its nomination and did plenty to stand out from the pack. Especially in its own genre.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
I haven't seen most of those so I'd have to go with The Artist.

Oct 26, 2017
Extremely Loud. Nothing else comes close. Even Bohemian has Rami Malek's performance going for it. Same with Green Book with Ali and Mortensen.

Extremely Loud is just bad on almost all fronts.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
It just feels so cookie cutter, which is blinded by the songs. So I was just seeing a concert without connecting emotionally. And of course, like Green Book there is the racial element. It is appropriating a typical black genre.

How many musicals are made today? How many movie goers give a shit about jazz music? Being a musical already excludes a huge audience segment. How is it cookie cutter versus the average best picture nominee?

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
One of the few films in Hollywood that has executed a portrayal of Afrofuturism in a progressive and thoughtful manner with solid writing and acting performances in a genre where those are few and far between. Tackled thematic elements (very effectively in some cases, simply alright in others) that have been completely ignored or barely explored in the comicbook films. Non-whitewashed award winning costuming, scoring and design that represented the African diaspora authentically unlike the vast majority of Hollywood films. Critically acclaimed and regarded as one of the best comicbook movies ever produced.

I'd say it was well deserving of its nomination and did plenty to stand out from the pack. Especially in its own genre.

About that scoring part, this is Ludwig Göransson, the Oscar winning composer of Black Panther.

Lo0juR_G_400x400.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
About that scoring part, this is Ludwig Göransson, the Oscar winning composer of Black Panther.

Lo0juR_G_400x400.jpg
Yes, I'm very well aware of who Ludwig Goransson is.

Do you think that white composers, ones who take months to develop a score by visiting countries in Africa and learning/working with African musicians, can't create an authentic score that is uniquely representative of the African diaspora?

The man did an incredible job. The fact that he's white doesn't dismiss this fact.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In 10 years it will not be in the list because everyone is going to go 'what movie?'

Most of the movies nominated for best picture are not big hits and most people won't see them. I went into the movie expecting to hate it and ended up loving it. It actually made me more open to the musical genre as a whole. I forgot some of these movies existed and I watch too many movies.

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close was so cack-handed, insensitive, and plain awful that I can't give this to anything else.

Figgles

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

That's the thing though, most of the elements were solid or good. Outside of costume design, was anything great? Everything adds up to a good enjoyable movie, but great? BP noms to me should be great.

Bohemian Rhapsody is an actively reprehensible film on so many levels that one loses an immense amount of respect for Brian May and Roger Taylor for signing off on it in the state that it released in. Yes, it made a ton of money, but what good is money when there's a film out there that goes out of its way to make every member of Queen look like an idiot and handles the dynamics of Freddie Mercury's complicated personal life with the grace of a bloated walrus carcass? The only thing that the film gets right on any level was eventually showing the real Queen, but not until after 2+ hours of unconscionable character assassination, outright lies, musty biopic tropes that date back to the Mezozoic and plain bad filmmaking.

xbhaskarx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NorCal
I am happy to say I've successfully avoided watching every movie mentioned in this thread aside from Birdman (and NCFOM, but that wasn't being suggested) which isn't close to being the worst, Manchester, and two mediocre nominees Argo, and The Reader. I would pick one of those two but I'm sure almost all of the other options are far worse...

OP
OP
hiredhand

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Gonna have to explain this one to me.

It doesn't make much sense, especially put in the larger context of the comparison of Green Books racially insensitive missteps that were naive and shortsighted. And just plain racist-apologist in its whitewashing, to be frank.
According to Wikipedia, cultural appropriation is the adoption of elements of one culture by members of another culture. Black Panther is adapting an element of white American culture (super hero comics) to an African(-American) context. I am in no way saying this is a bad thing.

My comparison was with La La Land, not Green Book. I don't think Green Book's insensitive missteps were really about cultural approriation.

Do you think that white composers, ones who take months to develop a score by visiting countries in Africa and learning/working with African musicians, can't create an authentic score that is uniquely representative of the African diaspora?
He probably can't. He can create a great score inspired by African music and musicians but I wouldn't go around calling that score "authentic" or "non-whitewashed".

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
I'd say Bohemian Rhapsody. BR is a mess and I find the performances quite bland. The rest of the list is at worst a bunch of good performances with bland scripts. Like a string of pleasant TBS original film.

Osan912

Avenger
Sep 22, 2018
Everyone here should be required to see Extremely Loud. It's the one true answer. It's not even close.