• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

What is the worst Batman film?

• Batman Begins

Votes: 57 10.0%
  • The Dark Knight

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • The Dark Knight Rises

Votes: 487 85.3%

• Total voters
Oct 27, 2017
United States
One of the biggest problems I had with dark knight rises aside from the plot was the strange decision to ditch the amazingly impressive practical effects of the chase scenes of the first two movies for the utterly lackluster cg batwing shit. Imagine a batwing done with practical effects...

It honestly felt like all those involved with the franchise took a hit of motivation after ledger died, including nolan himself.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Probably TDKR. Still better than the majority of summer blockbusters but BB & TDK are still my favourites.

The problem with TDKR rises is that the whole thing seemed like it was rushed into production. I know that Nolan took his time to decide if he wanted to make another Batman film after Heath Ledger's death but it seems almost like he made it so that Warner Bros would finance Inception so didn't spend the necessary time polishing the story and characters.

Catwoman and Batman are at opposite ends in terms of ideals but that's not explored beyond a betrayal and a perfunctory "I'm leaving this city.....now I'm not" change of heart and then at the end we're just to accept that they're now a couple. Obviously the less said about reduction of Bane to a lovesick thug/errand boy the better.

I still enjoy the film but compared to his other Batman films and his films as a whole it seems like a pretty hollow entry to me.

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
kinda hard to pick since all 3 Nolan movies are trash. Can we have an 'all of the above' option?

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I get that people didn't like TDKR but claiming it's worse than the Schumacher films is just lunacy.

Even Schumacher himself is indifferent to those films and basically treated them as artless cash grabs.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'll never jump on the hate bandwagon for TDKR because it's still an incredible film, it's just the worst in a trilogy where the bar is set absurdly high.

Batman Begins is a perfect origin story and introduction to this version of the character and his world.

The Dark Knight's quality speaks for itself and should be considered in the conversation for best films of all time, not just limited to "best superhero film." Anything that I could say here has been said a million times before but you get the point, it's easily the best.

The Dark Knight Rises is... troubled. It offers a satisfying conclusion for Bruce and the supporting characters even if the delivery of that ending is cliché and requires an insane suspension of disbelief, there are countless flagrant editing mistakes and continuity errors, some of the events in the narrative are painfully convenient to the point of absurdity and the less said about things like Talia's death scene or officer Blake "Robin", the better. All of that said though - it's still a cut above most of the films in the genre and provides a suitable ending to the trilogy. Bane is incredible (as is his voice), Alfred and Bruce's relationship serves as the emotional core of the story and is resonant and powerful, Anne Hathaway kills it as Catwoman, the sewer fight is fantastic and the sheer spectacle of watching hundreds of live actors all waging war in the streets as Bruce and Bane fight amongst the crowd is still one of the most exciting and visceral brawls in the superhero film subgenre and an overall incredible feat of filmmaking prowess.

Is The Dark Knight Rises flawed? You bet. Is it still a fantastic film with plenty to love both on its own merit and in connection to the two films that preceded it? Absolutely.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
One of the biggest problems I had with dark knight rises aside from the plot was the strange decision to ditch the amazingly impressive practical effects of the chase scenes of the first two movies for the utterly lackluster cg batwing shit. Imagine a batwing done with practical effects...

It honestly felt like all those involved with the franchise took a hit of motivation after ledger died, including nolan himself.

No need to imagine...

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When you realize OP must be a child because the only poll options are the Nolan films.

You ain't seen the worst batman film if all you saw were Nolan films.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Do you mean this thing?

maxresdefault.jpg

A lot of 'The Bat' footage was done practically with a lot of CGI removal. Obviously a lot of shots higher up were CG but a lot of the stuff nearer the ground was a practical model either sitting on top of a jig or hung from a crane.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Both films were one single plot hole.

Okay, fair enough, I don't really remember the plots of the films, but I do remember TDKR having a terrible plot with lots of plot holes. I'll still say that Batman and Robin and Batman Forever were more entertaining because Arnold and Jim Carrey at least had fun with their roles. TDKR took itself too seriously and was a chore to watch that was not at all entertaining.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, everyone saying Batman and Robin is the worst. Or any of the Nolan films are the worst.

Aren't we forgetting like, you know, the obvious worst one?

3ThPZr6.gif

So bad it killed a Cinematic Universe before it even started. Said Universe is only just barely recovering right now, and it might not even be a cinematic universe with how wishy-washy WB are being over it.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
TDKR is profoundly bad in so many ways I'd almost consider it a total catastrophe if it wasn't for Tom Hardy hamming it up to 11 and Hans Zimmer's amazing soundtrack.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
Okay, fair enough, I don't really remember the plots of the films, but I do remember TDKR having a terrible plot with lots of plot holes. I'll still say that Batman and Robin and Batman Forever were more entertaining because Arnold and Jim Carrey at least had fun with their roles. TDKR took itself too seriously and was a chore to watch that was not at all entertaining.
Fair enough.

The casting were both actually pretty great, not in the sense that they were perfect for the role, but they did such an outlandish job at it, it was sort of re-inventing those characters, albeit, to hilariously bad results.

True though, more entertaining, but not in the traditional sense.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
With the news that there's a new Batman trilogy coming, I thought it would be a fun trip down memory lane to discuss the worst Batman film created...

My personal pick is The Dark Knight Rises... with bad choreography, a poor final twist, and generally lackluster performances all around, the movie lands like a dud compared to the predecessor.

giphy.gif

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
In what STUPID COMIC BOOK WORLD would a city allow a private NUCLEAR device to be built UNDER the city, send EVERY police officer into tunnels underground at once, and have a man with no knee cartilage MAGICALLY escape a secret society NINJA prison by JUMPING his way out?

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES IS THE WORST BY A LANDSLIDE

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, everyone saying Batman and Robin is the worst. Or any of the Nolan films are the worst.

Aren't we forgetting like, you know, the obvious worst one?

3ThPZr6.gif

So bad it killed a Cinematic Universe before it even started. Said Universe is only just barely recovering right now, and it might not even be a cinematic universe with how wishy-washy WB are being over it.
Batman and Robin literally killed the superhero genre for a while. So no, I'll still give it to B&R.

OP
OP
SweetNicole

SweetNicole

The Old Guard
Oct 24, 2017
In what STUPID COMIC BOOK WORLD would a city allow a private NUCLEAR device to be built UNDER the city, send EVERY police officer into tunnels underground at once, and have a man with no knee cartilage MAGICALLY escape a secret society NINJA prison by JUMPING his way out?

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES IS THE WORST BY A LANDSLIDE

truth

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I think they're all great but TDKR is probably the weakest. The whole cops in the sewers shit was super silly and it just felt less water tight than the other two.

Batman Begins has absolute dogshit editing during the action sequences though, especially the fight with Ducard on the ice and the Tumbler chase.

Cvie

Oct 25, 2017
Its rises by far

Bruce builds a nuclear reactor without any govt oversite nderneath a major city. Thats what cuases all the shit to go down.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Batman and Robin literally killed the superhero genre for a while. So no, I'll still give it to B&R.
Ah yes, I too remember that really long period of no Super Hero movies.

Right from Batman and Robin in 1997, up until Blade in 1998. Followed shortly by X-Men in 2000 and Spiderman and a Blade Sequel in 2002.

Truly such a dark period of no Super Hero movies.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, I too remember that really long period of no Super Hero movies.

Right from Batman and Robin in 1997, up until Blade in 1998. Followed shortly by X-Men in 2000 and Spiderman and a Blade Sequel in 2002.

Truly such a dark period of no Super Hero movies.
Blade was more of an outlier since it was like a hybrid of a superhero flick and a vampire one (plus it played hard counter to superhero stuff aimed at kids since it was R-rated). I'll give you X-Men though.

Oct 27, 2017
Blade was more of an outlier since it was like a hybrid of a superhero flick and a vampire one (plus it played hard counter to superhero stuff aimed at kids since it was R-rated). I'll give you X-Men though.

It didn't even kill Batman movies. They were attempting to make Batman movies all throughout that period. The only reason it took so long was incompetence. The same reason they spent almost 20 years trying to make a Superman movie.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just because they're both camp doesn't mean they both work. It's possible to make a bad campy movie.
all of the shit-talking of Batman & Robin is driven by people complaining about rubber nipples, ice puns, and tone. it's possible to make a bad camp movie, but that's not the actual complaint people put forward against B&R.

for some insane reason fanboys think Schumacher was trying to make serious Batman films and the camp was accidental

they also seem to think the Tim Burton Batman films were very serious and gritty, which just goes to show that people aren't actually watching these movies

RetroCCN

Oct 26, 2017
Of those? The Dark Knight Rises. Still a solid flick, though.

The real answer is Batman v. Superman, however. It beats Batman and Robin by a hair.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always had to go back and forth between Forever or B&R. I think B&R is easily the worst as an overall movie, buuuuuuut...
I'd say Forever is worse because it tries to be a Burton Batman film and fails at it, while B&R drops all pretense of being like the others. There's no a serious moment in any of that movie. It's all for laughs.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
My personal ranking for the Nolan trilogy is: TDK > TDKR > Begins
Begins, while solid, was just too boring to really get me excited for the trilogy.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
TDK > Batman > Batman Returns > Batman Begins > TDKR > BVS > Batman Forever > Batman and Robin

My power my pleasure my PAIN!

tumblr_mt0mxuXiXT1qcga5ro1_500.gif

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Dark Knight Rises, say about Batman & Robin what you want, it might be terrible. But it's a beautiful mess. TDKR is just, a mess.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

OP asked worst Batman movie.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Rises was nonsensical.

I mean, for movies being about a vigilante in a bat costume, there was too many shit that didn't make sense.

Enjoyable though.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
TDKR doesn't even belong in the same category of bad as Forever, & robin, and v superman.

Klotera

Oct 27, 2017
If we have to pick from the Nolan movies, TDKR is easily the weakest, but I still like it overall. Batman & Robin is definitely the worst of all.

If I ranked them all:
Batman '89 = BB = TDK > TDKR > BvS = BR > Forever > B&R

Yes, I think Returns is every bit as weak as BvS. I feel like Returns gets overrated because Burton was still the director. It feels like he really just wanted to make a Tim Burton movie with Batman money, not a proper Batman movie this time. Both this and BvS have redeeming qualities but also a lot of problems.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Rises is the worst. It did the worst job of paying off what TDK set up, and was an early example of the cinematic excess that Nolan has been increasingly known for these days. Too much movie, not enough of it thought out very well.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Batman v Subparman is the worst for me. I mean, while Batman v Robin is obviously a big old heap of steaming shit, but at least I can have some fun while watching that film, even if it's just laughing at the extremely cheap sets or having a giggle at Arnie's terrible ice puns. But BvS takes itself so seriously and it's so fucking joyless, and the plot doesn't make any goddamn sense. It also had the most potential to set up a whole cinematic universe which it completely fucking squandered.