• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What was the best Switch game of 2020?

• Animal Crossing: New Horizons

Votes: 169 41.1%
  • Hades

Votes: 167 40.6%
  • Something Else (say what)

Votes: 74 18.0%

• Total voters

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Weird situation of Hades being the better game but AC being my GotY due to circumstances.

The videogame equivalent of preferring a song that reminds me of something rather than the technically better song.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I never cared for AC. I have put 180h on this one. Amazing game. Is such a shame the new content is just single drops. I would pay for good content every month actually. I would like to have a second island which I could built a theme park.

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition. I never got far in the Wii or 3DS versions but got a good 100 hours out of DE. It was so good.

Probably going to dig into Future Connected this weekend.

Jun 6, 2020
My switch was an absolute dust collector this year. I only played Paper Mario and I didn't really like it that much. I play indie games on PC.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
How is the Switch version of Hades? I'm debating whether to get it there or wait for the PlayStation version.
It's good, though there's definitely occasional slowdowns when playing handheld when there's a ton of stuff on the screen. But basically my only true problem has been Joycon Drift, but that's not on the devs or the game of course.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hardcore mecha for me so far. Loved Hades but this scratches a pretty rare itch

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
It's a toss-up between Age of Calamity, Pikmin 3 Deluxe and Animal Crossing for me. 150 really enjoyable hours in AC but I haven't played since ~June (waiting for Brewster to get added back next year hopefully). I've spent 50 hours with Pikmin 3 Deluxe, and it made 3 sooooooo much better and I loved it, but it still doesn't quite measure up to Pikmin 2 for me. I've been entranced for all 80 hours I put into 100%-ing Age of Calamity, it is pretty much the perfect Musou game, the only negative I have is that I want more of it!

Yeah, Age of Calamity wins.

Stock

Oct 25, 2017
Luxembourg
Hades is pretty great, although the handheld resolution holds it back a little (a nitpick for sure). Once the action heats up I have a bit of trouble making out some of the enemy attacks amongst all the pyrotechnics on Switch, and have since switched to the PC version.

For me, its a toss up between AC:NH and Paper Mario for the best of the year on Switch. Both titles feature great writing, fun gameplay, and laid back vibes. Switch had a fantastic year, so I can feel most people's GOTY choices.

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
Animal Crossing for me. Hades just didn't click with me (this is not me saying it's a bad game, it's me saying I couldn't get into it).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Either Streets of Rage 4 or Huntdown for me. Not a huge fan of AC and a bit burnt out on roguelikes.

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
Funny enough I would say Paper Mario. Even funnier I haven't finished the game yet. But something in that game made me really love it as a whole. The only thing that keeps me from seeing it as a perfect game (and not finishing it) is the battle system. Which is quite important in this game.

It is quite tedious at some point. But the characters, the environment, the music and the story are all well made and overal I still think it is a great game.

Animal Crossing was the game that gave smiles when we needed it and Hades was definitely the game that pushed the rogue genre to a next level. But Paper Mario has something :P.

Though my personal game of 2020 is Monster Hunter Worlds/Iceborne with the Fatalis finale what a game.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As much as I love Hades, and as much as I consider it my personal GOTY, I think Animal Crossing deserves to be called the best Switch game of 2020 just because of how important it's been to so many people all over the world during the pandemic and lockdowns.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is Moon accessible or am I going to be frustrated playing a JRPG from the mid-90s

I'm interested in it, but RPGs from that era are very difficult for me to go back to.

It's more of an adventure game that's engaging with and deconstructing the tropes of JRPGs. There's no battle system. You're instead helping the souls of creatures killed by the hero, learning about the lives of the NPCs and helping those NPCs get overcome hurdles in their lives. The game feels pretty modern in a lot of regards.

I'd say 99% of the game is accessible, while there are a couple puzzles moments near the very end of the game that are a bit obtuse to put together but a quick google search or trip to the OT would solve that.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's more of an adventure game that's engaging with and deconstructing the tropes of JRPGs. There's no battle system. You're instead helping the souls of creatures killed by the hero, learning about the lives of the NPCs and helping those NPCs get overcome hurdles in their lives. The game feels pretty modern in a lot of regards.

I'd say 99% of the game is accessible, while there are a couple puzzles moments near the very end of the game that are a bit obtuse to put together but a quick google search or trip to the OT would solve that.
This sounds great. Thanks!

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
uln2s3d6tah41.jpg

OK it's Animal Crossing.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
So far I have spent 565 hours with Animal Crossing this year and 2 hours with Hades, so I voted for the former.

Though admittedly I'm not done with Hades and this thread kinda makes me want to go back to it, haha. It's just that AC is more fun to me and there is also the fact that no other game is quite like it.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
1. Hades
2. Xenoblade Chronicles DE
3. Animal Crossing
4. Paradise Killer
5. A Short Hike

Played Huntdown on PS4, otherwise it would take 4th place. Paper Mario was a real disappointment for me, didn't put nearly enough time into CrossCode and skipped Pikmin 3, because I already finished it on WiiU and it's too expensive for an impulse double-dip.

Edit: Ouh, and I haven't checked out Age of Calamity yet, but it's already downloaded, waiting to be played and finished over the holidays.

Last edited:

Deleted member 79517

Banned
Aug 31, 2020
Ori.

I also really enjoyed Clubhouse Games, Paper Mario, and Streets of Rage 4. And Hades!

But I would say Ori is the cream of the crop.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Streets of Rage 4 is the best game I played all year so probably that.

Hades, Animal Crossing and Paper Mario Origami King are all godlike though.

I've yet to get to Paradise Killer, though I have it and am excited to dive in.

Also, Touhou Luna Nights finally came out on Switch the other day. Get it.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
Seems like people haven't had time to play Grindstone yet, which is why they've erroneously listing other games :)

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think my favorite game I played this year on Switch was CrossCode
CrossCodeReview_Thumb.jpg

Really great game. I'm not quite done with it yet but I've played a lot so far. I'm loving the action, the puzzles, the story, the graphics, and the music. I'm actually kind of surprised the game isn't more popular, there's a lot to like about it.

Robo

Oct 27, 2017
Hades is a really really strong choice and will probably edge it out as my GOTY but I absolutely loved playing Sakuna. The combat depth really shocked me and it had a sizable number of different abilities you could use to create your own playstyle. The rice farming aspect was also really detailed and super easy to get swept up in. I'm usually not a fan of farming sims but having it be tied to this razor sharp action game really gave it a satisfying loop.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing, sure, but this year for Switch feels hella underrated.

I'd also put Xenoblade, Clubhouse Games, and Hyrule Warriors are also up there. And shoutout to some really great DLC between Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, and Smash.

MasonADC

Sep 28, 2018
Super Mario 3D All stars. This year was definitely a disappointment but I hope next year is better

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity followed closely by Paper Mario: The Origami King. Animal Crossing is a 7/10, not very good compared to the past entries.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
It's Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX. Takes the best game in the series and improves its QOL and just upgrades it in every way. It's charming as hell and probably my favorite Pokemon game on the Switch outright.

Streets of Rage 4 is the one I'd most recommend though. Feels absolutely fantastic to play and its continue system is genius.

Also want to give a shoutout to Hatsune Miku: Project Diva Megamix which is my runner-up for personal favorite behind Pokemon. Paradise Killer, Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory, Puyo Puyo Tetris 2, Trials of Mana, and Moon seem promising but I haven't gotten around to playing them yet.

I haven't played Hades because I can't get into roguelites at all. New Horizons is an okay skinner box but the worst game in the series by a fair margin (not including the spin-offs like Happy Home Designer).

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing is my personal favorite but I wouldn't fault anyone for picking Hades. I was also very impressed with Paper Mario and Clubhouse Games this year.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
It's moon by an order of magnitude. If I'd gotten to play that during the PS1's actual life cycle it would have been one of my favorite games ever and probably affected me incredibly deeply. It would be seen as a true classic and required playing from that era. As it is, it keeps getting overlooked but it really should be required playing. It's just an unbelievably good game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hades is a good game, but animal crossing is better. Especially for that week where everyone played it and wasn't at each others throats if even for only a little bit.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I was so excited for Animal Crossing before it came out.

I used a website to figure out my town song, I had my layout all planned out (wanted to emulate Disneyland as closely as possible), and I even went to the trouble of waiting for and managing to pre-order the Animal Crossing Switch (mainly just wanted the better battery, but I liked the AC design and joycon colors).

Then it came out and I've barely had the urge to play it. I'd be surprised if I've put more than 5 hours into it total since launch. I have the starter tent, just got the museum owl, and that's about it.

I genuinely don't know what is stopping me from playing it. Maybe I played too much New Leaf and I'm just burnt out on the series (didn't even play it that much, like twice a day for a month or so back when it came out), maybe the crafting system really put me off, maybe dealing with all the same issues from the previous games bugged me (having such limited inventory space, barely having any options early on, etc.).