• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Maya

Oct 31, 2017
Not being able to manually holster Sheppard's weapon in Mass Effect 3 drove me a bit mad.

Running around pointing your gun at everything, even outside combat, was very frustrating. I mean, you could do it in 1 and 2, why not in 3?

Apparently, it was restricted due to memory limitations, but really, how complex could it be to implement this in the game?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
Fable II had motion blur whenever you spun the camera. It made me motion sick. I got an hour in.

I had a similar problem with God of War 2018 where the game as a whole just made me motion sick. I think it had to do with the way the camera stuck to Kratos. I managed to finish that one, but it wasn't a good time.

Snormy

I'll think about it
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
The feel and control of Geralt in TW3. I just couldn't get into the swing of it and it was constantly demoralising knowing the game is probably over 70hrs as I take my time with games. 70+ hours of being annoyed with controls? Nah.

I remember turning candles on and off trying to open doors too. It's a bit amusing in hindsight.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was playing Vampyr, which has a lot of dialogue, but okay, I read pretty quick. Say a character has four lines of dialogue, only two lines are displayed at a time. I would read the first two lines, but when I press the button to advance the dialogue, it doesn't go to the following two lines, it skips the whole rest of the dialogue.

So you have to wait for the NPC to finish speaking the first two lines, then you can read the next two and skip. Sometimes dialogues are longer. Sometimes you'll read the end of a sentence, but then from context you'll figure out that the NPC had another line and you have to listen to them talk again.

The game has a lot, a lot, of dialogue. I just want to read, yo!

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Trying to play persona 3 original. And not being able to compare wew weapons in the store to your party or unequal there stuff

So annoying.

Also not being able to be friends with any of the girls without having multiple relationships. So dumb

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish fall damage could be removed from every game except for the very very few exceptions where it makes sense (like Zelda BOTW).

Why Xenoblade 2 has fall damage back when Xenoblade X got rid of this shit is beyond me.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Spoiler warning since noticing this glitch in Bioshock Remastered on PS4 might potentially ruin some enjoyment of the game

In Fort Frolic the water fx when water is supposed to cascade down staircases is completely broken

The water fx in that game are iconic so it legitimately makes it less fun to play for me.

Last edited:

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Skyward Sword/BOTW: this focus on Hylia. I'm not really the type of person who prays to a deity even if they exist. It was a real pain seeing the asshole king make Zelda travel to the shrines as someone who dealt with the forced religious bullshit growing up.
I actually thought the friction between Zelda and her father in BOTW was more sympathetic toward Zelda and made her a stronger character overall. The fact that she ultimately was the chosen one didn't put a damper on this impression.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Not being able to skip dialogue line-by-line drives me CRAZY. It happened in Vampyr and Deus Ex Mankind Divided and I hated it lol, despite really enjoying the games. I read faster than the actors speak, so I just want to skip to the next line but if I hit skip, it skips the entire dialogue... nooooo why xD

Slow movement speed can also almost ruin a game for me. I almost dropped FF4 back in the day because I played it after Phantasy Star IV and the movemement speed was excruciatingly slow. Fortunately I stuck with it, but yeah... FF6 introduced the running shoes which helped but just... why not make it the default speed??

When spamming a roll or dash or some other ability is the significantly faster way to move around. On the flip side where doing anything but holding forward makes you move noticeably slower. It just makes traversal annoying.
Oh that's a good one. Not to mention making speed runs incredibly annoying to watch... >_>
Any cursor-based menus in a console game
Another good one. I kind of insta-hated Destiny because of it.

The dialogue choice placement for the god damn Owl from Ocarina of Time is the first thing that popped into my head. Very, very minor detail, ridiculously annoying impact on the game.
foKMsnz.gif

Dragon Quest Builders 2 where you have to help a woman become a bunny girl in order to motivate the men and progress the story, the whole dialogue for that island is basically blokes perving on some poor girl they raised from a child, and pressuring her into becoming what I guess is an RPG stripper. Then just when you complete it and think "thank fuck that plot is done" they want you to make a pool so they can see her in a swimsuit. urg.
Modern anime/fantasy games seem egregiously guilty of requiring female characters to wear short skirts and/or show cleavage. 8 times out of 10, they have to wear thighhigh stockings with short skirts - a.k.a. Zettai Ryouiki. In most cases, it's less of a fashion style and just "subtle" fetish pandering when they can't show anything else. It's almost like there's a law in JRPG worlds requiring some sort of sexy attire.

The ones that do have more diversity of costumes really stand out in a positive manner.

I'm at the point where it's harder to take any story seriously when they do this.
The casual trans and homophobia of Persona 5.

Granted, I grew to hate that game for a multitude of reasons, but that was the first sign that I could stop pretending it was a good game
The transphobic stuff in Danganronpa turned me off from the game unfortunately :/
I don't think any of those are "minor" or "small".

Ice Wheels

Jul 10, 2019
I tried to get into the Wonderful 101 on Wii U, but the first level's theme music just was unbearable. It's been awhile since I can't bring myself to go back, but I felt the lyrics were just "The Wonderful 101!" over and over again. I just couldn't play anymore.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for starting off this thread by highlighting the real travesty that was the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus. Shadow of the Colossus is a game that is driven by the aesthetics, yet they changed so many visual and sound elements for the worse that it drove me insane the entire time. The lighting is technically amazing, yet it absolutely changed for the worse as it significant altered the saturated look of the original and HD versions. They even took out the debris effect in the final battle that created so much atmosphere. The small changes in the art design cumulate to a lesser than experience.

Oct 30, 2017
I haven't played RDR2 and probably never have. I hate when menial shit has an animation you can't skip for it. Apparently the game goes overboard.
I can barely tolerate when I have to press a button to pick up everything so RDR2 would probably make me lose my shit.
You'd hate it. It's as bad as it sounds. I still have no idea how I finished such an absolute slog of a game.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Hollow Knight needing to spend a trinket slot to see your marker on the stupid map.

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
BotW having voice acting, regardless of the language. There are barely any cutscenes in the game but it's still something that really bothers me.

For more recent examples, I just got Art of Balance on Switch and it sucks having to enable motion controls manually every time you boot up the game (And the button for re-centering the cursor is also uncomfortable to reach, should've been the L/ZL button).

CTR:NF makes you go back to the main menu every time you want to check the Grand Prix challenges instead of letting you see those between races or while the game is paused.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Even with the grip issues present in Bluepoint's PS3 remaster of SotC, it's still the definitive version that I recommend to anyone who hasn't yet played it. It's not 100% perfect, but it's far more faithful the original experience than the PS4 remake will ever be.

The ICO remaster on that collection would be the definitive version if it weren't for it being based on the PAL release, which had an inferior music edit during the ending sequence. So for that reason I still recommend the NTSC PS2 original.
I think ICO remaster is missing a lot of post processing too, unless they patched it back in.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Bad voices in modern JRPGs. Fortunately most of them has a voice volume slider nowadays so it's not that bad.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Invincible NPCs in Bethesda games. Seriously it takes me out of the game when I beat a enemy & all they do is fall down for a few minutes.

Level in scaling in RPGs. I one hand I get it's to keep the game challenging but on the other hand it makes me feel I'm not making any progress.

Hollow form in Dark Souls. I like to spend a lot of time creating characters & having them turn into a ugly zombie everytime I die makes the game less enjoyable for me.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
CTR:NF makes you go back to the main menu every time you want to check the Grand Prix challenges instead of letting you see those between races or while the game is paused.

Oh yeah, that's a pain. I really hope they address it with the next GP.

Even smaller is how when you go to pick a character, you can tab through different subcategories for smaller, more selective lists. However, if you pick a character from one of those categories and then back out before picking a skin, you're suddenly back in the full list, rather than the subcategory tab.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawns vignetting around the screen and how my games brightness would fluctuate every time I moved the camera and changed my focus. It drove me crazy. It flat out ruins the game for me.

I always thought it was my tv causing the issue but it doesn't do this in ANY other game I play, whether it be SDR or HDR.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
What ultimately made me sell XBC2 is the fact that an open world game can have a directionless pointer on the already horribly uninformative map.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Watch_Dogs 2 having ESC to cancel radio communications, which is the same button you press to go back to playing as the main character if you're hacking something or using the Jumper/Quadcopter.

Almost done with the game, definitely one of my biggest issues with the game.

Calvinien

Banned
Jul 13, 2019
The fast travel system in Wild hunt.
Also the menu system in wild hunt.
Come to think of it, wild hunt is full of tiny details that make me viscerally angry when I run across them.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Hollow form in Dark Souls. I like to spend a lot of time creating characters & having them turn into a ugly zombie everytime I die makes the game less enjoyable for me.
That is a good one. I am glad DS3 has you human by default and the embered state is what opens you up for invasions.

Plus DS3 let you choose whether to play online or not. Bloodborne as well. I don't think Dark Souls 1 has that option, meaning you have to disable internet entirely if you want to play as a human but don't care about PvP. Now I am sure purists will say that is the way the game is meant to be played. But I prefer the DS3/Bloodborne method.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Just played the Oninaki demo that came out today and thought of this topic immediately. There's a serious lack of music throughout the demo and it actively made me dislike the game to the point that I just turned it off without finishing it. Not having music isn't even a small detail imo, but it left a VERY LARGE negative impact on my enjoyment with it.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
What ultimately made me sell XBC2 is the fact that an open world game can have a directionless pointer on the already horribly uninformative map.
I think they patched that? It's still tricky because XBC2 has a lot of vertical movement and this isn't reflected on the mini map but December saw a bunch of improvements to the extent that by the time I played it, it wasn't something that I noticed.

Makes a good case not to play games on launch day!

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
I think they patched that? It's still tricky because XBC2 has a lot of vertical movement and this isn't reflected on the mini map but December saw a bunch of improvements to the extent that by the time I played it, it wasn't something that I noticed.

Makes a good case not to play games on launch day!

If they fixed this issue I might repurchase it later at a discount.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
The "don't move" segments in Until Dawn. I'm a shaky person, so I failed all of them. For the last one, I placed the controller on the table, and I still somehow failed it.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017

I don't think those posters are trying to make that point. I don't think people are saying they're "minor" in the sense that they're insignificant (because this thread is about things that had a large negative impact on their enjoyment of the game). They're saying they're minor in the sense that a few lines of dialogue are ultimately a very small part of the overall product, with its myriad gameplay systems and technical resources and years and years of development and testing and balancing — and yet a few lines of homophobic/transphobic dialogue can ruin the whole game for people, and none of the rest of that stuff will matter.

It's like an unforced error, nailing the hard part of making a "good" game but tripping up on what should be the easy part of not creeping out the player or making them feel like shit. I think that's what people are saying; a developer can spend half a decade making a complex JRPG with exceptional production values but if they include a conversation that makes the player feel like a second-class citizen, they're going to lose the player's goodwill, and none of the carefully-tuned gameplay systems or high production values matter. 99.9% of the developer's time and budget is going to things that are not that one creepy scene, but that's the part that ruins it even the rest of the game is great.

When I read the thread title, the first thing I thought of were games that have romance options that don't allow same-sex romances. In a lot of games that wouldn't impact the mechanics of the game at all, but the developers still don't allow it. It feels a little bit like a deliberate FU, which is why it's so bothersome to me.

Mar 4, 2019

Oh, yeah, the Danganronpa is not - the blasé attitude and "brushing-off"
(moreso murder) of a cross-dressing character and how reductive the game made that character
made the whole treatment of that situation feel "small" and hand-wavey in a grotesque way, when it ought have been treated for what it was - outright grotesque.

DanSensei

Nov 15, 2017
In Tactics Ogre, you open the menu with the square button, rather than the circle button you use to confirm. Made the game unplayable for me.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Games where weapon models are just magnetically attached to the character instead of having proper sheathes/scabbards/holsters/straps. Uncharted 4 and RDR2 were goddamn revelations with the weapon straps.

Also, it bugs me to no end in games when you can't sheathe/unsheathe your weapon whenever you want.

Belker

Oct 27, 2017
Soul Calibur on Dreamcast. I was astounded at what they had made and frustrated that all the characters' footsteps sounded the same. How could they make something so complex and ignore that little detail?

Probably my longest gaming gripe.

Kumquat

Jan 23, 2018
ruined it for me as well. I'd not really say its a small detail though, as combat seems like a pretty big part of the game. But I just couldn't deal with how horrid it felt compared to other games I was playing at the time. I ended up selling it, I loved Oblivion at the time probably due to how new it was, but looking back on it I have the same problem with that as well.

Depends on the person. I go more for story so not a Dark Souls combat person. Most extreme I go is Monster Hunter. Combat isn't the end all be all for me and I've played some games where the combat was eh because the story was so engaging. This was... not so much.

Psoelberg

Oct 26, 2017
Early Assassins Creed games: that I couldn't toggle the hood on/off, but was forced to wear the hood. I can't identify with a character when all I'm seeing is the back of the hood. So I lost interest in it. Thank god they made it a toggle in later games.

Dec 23, 2017
All sports games on Nintendo consoles since Wii U (fifa, nba2k) have been lacking clothing physics. Something simple but I can't get over it. Not sure why EA or 2K can't implement those into the games even on switch. It turns me off as other games have had them for years.

SparkleMotion

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
The magic system added to Warriors Orochi 4. Made regular combos feel like meaningless busy work to build up your magic.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
those old JRPGs were characters would do a walking animation despite staying in the same place.
Definitely an old quirk that I can see bothering someone, although I don't think I ever personally minded it. If I had to guess at the intent there, maybe it was just an attempt at adding some movement to town scenes so it looked more lively and less static?

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
I tend to forget bad experience easily, so it will be recent games for me :
  • Rain in BoTW
  • Weapon management of RDR2
  • Floaty control in The Last Guardian
  • Can't hide the mini map in Spider Man (fixed since then)
  • Roach in TW III