• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Up until their PS4 remake/remaster of Shadow of the Colossus, Bluepoint Games was one of my favorite developers. Their PS2 masters on PS3 were always best-in-class, kind of representing something akin to Criterion Collection versions of the original games. I think that they are the best remastering studio in the industry, and in a lot of ways they did a great job updating SotC to modern audiovisual standards with their PS4 remake.

Now we could nitpick about the overall vibe and atmosphere of the game differing from the Team ICO-developed original, but at the end of the day I feel that's somewhat inevitable and subjective in nature. But what is NOT subjective or debatable is how callously and carelessly they butchered Wander in the PS4 version.

BxqAESl.gif

Ugh. God damn it all to hell.

As if it wasn't bad enough that they elongated his proportions and changed his animations to reflect a more athletic build and poised stature that deviated considerably from his clumsy-yet-determined original presentation, what they did to his FACE is something that to this day I still can't forgive. It sounds dramatic, but it really, really holds back the entire remake from greatness IMO. It's so bad that I simply can't recommend a new player try the PS4 version before the others. The thought of someone experience SotC for the first time with mannequin Wander as the sole human protagonist is unbearable for me.

Like, it's so unforgivable in my eyes that Bluepoint has never addressed this via patch or at least acknowledged it. Part of me wants to never support another Bluepoint project again because of this one little thing, as dramatic as that sounds. It eats away at my soul and torments my every waking thought. How could they do this? Why? Given the level of care give to so many other aspects of the remake, how could the one SINGLE playable human character end up looking so unfinished and ridiculous?

megby1E.gif

Look at what they've done to my poor, sweet boy.

So yeah, that's easily the smallest detail that has had the largest negative impact on my enjoyment of a game. It physically raises my blood pressure, seriously. I look forward to hearing some other small details that torpedo'd your appreciation for games that you otherwise enjoyed.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
His proportions and face i'd forgive, but like... one of team ico's iconic flourishes was their animations... without that it's like...why bother.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
This criticism always seems super overblown to me as it always required super super close up gifs that don't represent the game camera's distance to Wander at all.

His proportions and face i'd forgive, but like... one of team ico's iconic flourishes was their animations... without that it's like...why bother.
The Remake has more polished animation than the original though? When it came to Wander's animations the original suffered from some noticeable issues when it came to animations that were seemingly unintended as they don't exist in other Team Ico games one of which was smaller scale and the other on way better technology. So instead of it looking like at times Wander is a teenager who moves his body in the most awkward way possible he actually moves normally.

Last edited:

The Struggler

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 3, 2019
How slow you picked up items as Arthur in RDR2. I like the detail but christ looting a house was super slow

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
forced sidequests to get the real ending in smt 4
the static camera in ys celceta. literally unplayable on replays for me

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
This criticism always seems super overblown to me as it always required super super close up gifs that don't represent the game camera's distance to Wander at all.

This is

giphy.gif

On-topic.

Every game should allow single-line based conversation skipping, I love it when games do that (eg Mass Effect, Fallout 3/4 etc)

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I hate how the Human Males look in Dragon Age Origins. Pretty much every character looks like shit, but Human Males especially look terrible.
It's not a problem because I'm fine playing Elves, Dwarves, or Human Women, but it does limit options for replayability.

For me, it was the combat system in Skyrim. Same reason I quit playing Oblivion.
I wouldn't call the entire combat system of a game a small detail.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Random battles in FF7. I still remember doing like 4 in the first five minutes of controlling the game way back when and just noped out and went back to PC RPGS.

Red Dead Redemption 2:

Red Dead 2 controlling like shit isn't exactly a small detail and its the main criticism of the game.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
When spamming a roll or dash or some other ability is the significantly faster way to move around. On the flip side where doing anything but holding forward makes you move noticeably slower. It just makes traversal annoying.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The busted brick breaking physics in the All-Stars version of SMB made me avoid playing that version.

The slowed down spin attack in Bonk's Revenge is enough to make the game inferior to the first one.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil
It didn't ruin the game for me (other bigger things did), but annoys the heck out me the fact that Sonic Generations (and Forces) uses the Jump sound effect from Sonic CD/Knuckles Chaotix for Classic Sonic.. instead of the traditional one from the Genesis trilogy :< even Sonic 4 got that part right ~

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
not being able to holster weapons is something that annoys me in a lot of games more than it should.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Having to manually press buttons to pick up ammo/health. It serves no purpose other than to annoy me lol.

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
Okay, InFamous 2 is amazing but I always complained that the lightning tether was a movement ability that you had to swap the ice jump for

Like you can't do the ice jump while in aiming mode and you can only do the lightning tether in aiming mode so why the fuck couldn't the lightning tether always be be on?!

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen's main title theme. It's not even bad, it's just not...correct. When the PC version came out, the very first thing I did was fix the music. I COULD NOT play the game until I did.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Having to manually press buttons to pick up ammo/health. It serves no purpose other than to annoy me lol.
Have they fixed this in Borderlands 3?

Because holy hell Borderlands has been bad about this. No Randy, I don't want to hold a button down to vacuum up ammo and money. Why would you think that I'd ever NOT want to automatically pick up ammo and money?

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
No save feature in Jurassic Park for the SNES.

I don't have time to play that game in one sitting.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
Halo 3 random BR spread.

Just... why? Who thinks it's fun when the bullet doesn't go where you are aiming? Why on earth introduce randomness into the base utility weapon of which 90% of the game is played with? So stupid. Thank god MLG came along and upped the damage modifier to mitigate this.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
For me, it was the combat system in Skyrim. Same reason I quit playing Oblivion.
ruined it for me as well. I'd not really say its a small detail though, as combat seems like a pretty big part of the game. But I just couldn't deal with how horrid it felt compared to other games I was playing at the time. I ended up selling it, I loved Oblivion at the time probably due to how new it was, but looking back on it I have the same problem with that as well.

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017
In the All Stars version of Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 (The Lost Levels) bricks no longer deflect Mario downwards when you smash through them as they did in the originals which just ruins the flow of the games.

Edit: beaten

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
A bunch of stuff in Half-Life 2 broke when Valve patched that game to Source 2007. Most notable to me was Alyx's facial animations. She no longer smiled when you first meet. Ruined! Thankfully Half-Life 2: Update fixed stuff like this.
Ugh this is the worst. Wolfenstein and Borderlands are the worst offenders. Awful with a controller and less so on PC but still unecessary.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't know why it bothers me so much, but Assassin's Creed games where the loading screen isn't an Assassin running through the matrix.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate first person games where you can't see the players feet.

I hate when multiplayer games don't have intuitive, working party systems and lobbies. A system Halo 2 basically perfected in 2004 and people can't figure out in 2019.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There has been a bug involving the wind in franchise mode in every game of Madden for like... ~8 years. I've complained and reported it with good video evidence in every version of Madden for close to a decade. But, every version still has the bug.

The bug is that a strong wind blows endzone to endzone in every game in franchise mode, and that wind has an insanely strong affect on special teams... punting, kickoffs, and field goals. It's like every franchise game is played in a wind tunnel or a hurricane. When you're kicking into the wind, punts are 20-30 yards. When you're kicking with the wind, punts are 70 yards. WHen you're kicking field goals against the wind, a ~42 yard field goal is a challenge'; against the wind, you can hit 55-60 yard boomers with ease. It's led to other bugs in the game too. Like, in past versions of Madden the CPU would adjust and kick these weird line drive punts, which would expose bugs and glitches in punt coverage or punt returns. But the problem has always been *the wind*.

In Madden 17, this bug made bizarre punting behavior by the CPU... Where they'd only punt ~10 yards, and then that'd make bizarre flags being thrown of illegal block down field because the game couldn't figure out what was going on:

EA actually "fixed" this bug, but not really. Most people reported this as a punting bug, and so EA... fixed the punting bug. But it wasn't a punting bug. It was a wind bug. The wind was stupid strong in every franchise game, so the CPU would do line drive punts trying to "punt under the wind," which would result in these... 10 yard weird punts, and then weird penalties.

But it's not a major bug. It's only really preset in franchise mode because you can't change wind conditions in franchise mode, and even in other modes with variable weather, the bug isn't present. It's specifically franchise mode. And it ruins the game for me. Not only does every game basically just be about who can kick with or without the wind, and it becomes very easy to game this against the CPU, but it just shows me the dev team has no interest in solving deep bugs. IT'd also be such an easy bug to fix. Just turn off the wind in franchise mode. Make 0 mph wind. It'd be much, much better than the hurricane conditions of every game. Sure, the ideal fix would be to have variable wind that blows realistically, but... let's not get our expectations out of whack here. EA is unable to implement that (despite that wind used to work like 10 years ago), so just *turn it off*.

Madden 20 comes out this week on EA Access. One of the first things I'll do is load up the game, go to franchise mode, start a game and notice that the wind is 13mph at my back and that my punter makes 75 yard punts with ease. I'll shake my head again.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly can't fathom destiny without it though. I remember Bungie talking about how they needed you to be able to customize your character on the fly and traditional console UI wouldn't cut it.
I haven't played Destiny but I would be shocked if there wasn't a preferable way. If there isn't, then the solution should be to reduce the need to customize on the fly. That's how much I hate it.

galvatron

Oct 27, 2017
Austin, TX
Objects that were previously picked up reappearing in Katamari Reroll. The object permanence and seamless growing of the ball is what made the game amazing in it's time.

Jotakori

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you so damn much, OP. I know it's a super small and relatively unimportant detail and ridiculous to feel this strongly about it, but how Wander looks in that remake like borderline ruins the game for me. And I fear it's gonna be the definitive version of the game going forward now, and that they won't port the original anymore on future consoles and god it hurts my soul to think about getting stuck with that butchered Wander model.

Only other example I can think of is Noctis' older look in XV. Now, there are obviously plenty of other, bigger reasons to have problems with that game, but that's my most nitpicky-ish one. He looks like a completely different friggin' character! And I know most people disagree, but to me it looks like his entire facial structure changed and it drives me up the god damn wall. I have to actively not look at his character model through the last portion of the game cuz it's all I can think about when I see him and it ruins every scene for me. o<-<

ninjabreadman

Banned
Dec 17, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders 2 where you have to help a woman become a bunny girl in order to motivate the men and progress the story, the whole dialogue for that island is basically blokes perving on some poor girl they raised from a child, and pressuring her into becoming what I guess is an RPG stripper. Then just when you complete it and think "thank fuck that plot is done" they want you to make a pool so they can see her in a swimsuit. urg.

Jun 26, 2018
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen's main title theme. It's not even bad, it's just not...correct. When the PC version came out, the very first thing I did was fix the music. I COULD NOT play the game until I did.

THE WIND IS PUSHING ME!

On topic: I don't know if you could consider this small, but it is technically optional, mod support in games usually means I spend an inordinate amount of time modding rather than playing and once I get it all working, I've lost all interest in playing the game.

OP
OP
ScOULaris

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
I feel you so damn much, OP. I know it's a super small and relatively unimportant detail and ridiculous to feel this strongly about it, but how Wander looks in that remake like borderline ruins the game for me. And I fear it's gonna be the definitive version of the game going forward now, and that they won't port the original anymore on future consoles and god it hurts my soul to think about getting stuck with that butchered Wander model.
Even with the grip issues present in Bluepoint's PS3 remaster of SotC, it's still the definitive version that I recommend to anyone who hasn't yet played it. It's not 100% perfect, but it's far more faithful the original experience than the PS4 remake will ever be.

The ICO remaster on that collection would be the definitive version if it weren't for it being based on the PAL release, which had an inferior music edit during the ending sequence. So for that reason I still recommend the NTSC PS2 original.