• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So, what is the rest of the world thinking when they see videos of protestors being tear gassed and beaten/shot with rubber bullets?

Doing a quick google search, its definitely being covered at least.

BBC:
George Floyd protesters tear-gassed so Trump can walk to church
Law enforcement dispersed a peaceful protest with tear gas and rubber bullets at a park next to the White House, as the president vowed to deploy troops, if necessary, to "dominate the streets".
Moments later Donald Trump walked out of the executive mansion to a nearby historic church, where he held up a Bible.

www.bbc.com

George Floyd protesters dispersed so Trump can walk to church

Rubber bullets were also reportedly used to disperse a demonstration observers said was peaceful.

Irishtimes:
Police fire tear gas on protesters ahead of Trump's walk to church

www.irishtimes.com

Police fire tear gas on protesters ahead of Trump's walk to church

Eyewitness footage has captured police firing tear gas on protesters demonstrating outside The White House just minutes before US president Donald Trump walked to the nearby St. John's Episcopal Church. Video: Reuters

EU:
EU 'shocked and appalled' by George Floyd's killing: Live updates

The bloc's top diplomat warns against further excessive use of force as Trump vows to end unrest.

www.aljazeera.com

EU ‘shocked and appalled’ by George Floyd’s killing: Live updates

The bloc’s top diplomat warns against further excessive use of force as Trump vows to end unrest.

Japan:
U.S. demonstrations against police brutality and racism resonate around the world

www.japantimes.co.jp

Article expired

News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More

Mexico:
Mass protests and Mayhem continue throughout the United States after George Floyd's death

www.eluniversal.com.mx

Mass protests and mayhem continue throughout the United States after George Floyd's death

Floyd’s death on May 25 in Minneapolis was the latest in a series of deaths of black men and women at the hands of police in the U.S.

Obviously, this isn't representative of these regions completely, so people who live outside the U.S. 2 questions:

1. How are you viewing things happening in the U.S. right now and how is it being poyrtrayed in your media?

2. Do you think the U.N. and/or EU should condemn this behavior? After all, the UN and EU have condemned 3rd world countries and other regimes it deems authoritative in the past.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
It's getting covered but from what i have seen most politicians are occupied with dealing with reopening and fighting the recession here in europe.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
That it's a long time overdue, but also that many other countries face the same problems to a different or lesser extent.

The corona virus and these protests have just revealed how deeply so many issues in society run. From inequality, to terrible priorities (military over healthcare, business/stock over people, abuse of power and police) and how we've been ignoring these problems for so long simply because they were uncomfortable or because those in power did not want to loose said power.

Equality or Equity must be the focus. It must be the way forward because we all benefit from it. The minimum wage must rise, companies must pay tax and contribute, and the people should be the focus, not stock.

The US has wanted to be the leader of the free world ever since its conception. Now is the time they can actually do that, as opposed to their usual tactic of going into foreign counties and bombing the shit out of them.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Concern, smug self assurance that we aren't like them but also bit of admiration that the people and citizenry are fighting back against trumpism. There were protests in solidarity here in Canada, addressing indigenous issues as well as our more low key racism towards PoC

Hope you folks go vote out the cheeto in November

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Don't know about other countries, but in Canada it pretty much resulted in a lot of people being all happy about how we're so much better and we so can't believe things like that could happen. Police brutality is a thing here too. Systemic racism is a thing here too. I'm kind of tired to read and hear things like "We're not as bad", no we're probably not. Doesn't mean we're good. Doesn't mean we don't have things to change. Ask first nations people about how much better Canada is. We had asian citizens getting yelled, screamed and spit on because of COVID-19. Black people are also victims of racism here, so are arabs, latinos, and all ethnicities.

The worst defense against systemic racism I've seen is that "The system was not created to allow racism", no one said it was. It's just that things are systematically racist. Harder to get a job. Harder to get food. Harder to get lodging. Easier to get arrested and shat on because of the color of your skin. The thing is, it's so easy to use. I was actually a part of that defense for a pretty long time, when you come from a certain privilege (in my case, I'm white) it's hard to get out of your bubble and see things from other perspective. You know they suffer, but it's so easy to just muffle the screams and act like everything is ok. Why are they always complaining? Why are they always crying? Why are they protesting? And then you start thinking, *gasp*, maybe they act this way because there is a huge problem?

So, the way I see what,s happening in the US is that it's something that was a long time coming. But the way my country is handling it is not good, and hiding our heads in the sand is not going to help anyone.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
France was like "Hey that's fucked up" yesterday but woke up this morning realising "Wait, that's been happening in our country these past two years??" so in one hand : yay, we came first.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Been working to signal boost all the footage of police brutality that's been sent out from those on the ground and through that and people I've shown offline, everyone is disgusted.

The only exception being the few who focus only on Facebook friends for news, voted Brexit and - wholly unsurprisingly - are focused only on the looters.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I feel it's like watching a car crash in slow motion

Edit : French government isn't very vocal about this. Difficult to call out US police when French police has been maiming people, targeting press with Rubber bullets during protests and harassing people in the suburbs during lockdown...

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Personally as someone in the UK, it's been kinda mortifying, considering how that wave of populism is everywhere now and it's only a matter of time before it starts hitting other countries in the same way. Very proud of everyone who is standing up to it, though.

As for the general feeling I've gotten from other people, I see a lot of tut-tutting of Donald Trump without the self awareness that Boris Johnson is basically his toad-ish clone with like, two more brain cells that prevent him from being as arrogant in public. Most of the time.

Dec 2, 2017
I'm thinking how we in the UK fucking love to be be patronising about US racism as though as we're some enlightened nation.

Gifmaker

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
It's like the USA turned up to 11, which is quite a feat since you were not the most... "normal" people to begin with in my perception.

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
UK - Lots of coverage but little on the police brutality against protesters, medics and journalists. BBC tv coverage showed Trump with the bible but didn't mention how they cleared the way for him. However their website did cover it properly as linked in op.

Last edited:

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
There's pretty good coverage on the mainstream media here in Finland, but it's mostly focused on covid related news. The yellow press trash is of course taking full advantage.

Feels mostly foreign personally and not really in my mind unless i don't see something interesting here or at reddit. Same as with the Paris or Hong Kong protests. Hard to identify with.

Last edited:

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
Every single person, from young, to middle aged, to pensioners everyone, i have spoken to n the past week have been utterly appauled , comments of dictator, madman, hitler, nothing complementary of The Bunker in Chief (lots of comments about when hitler went in a bunker too)
Hell even the workmen on one of my jobs, who all typically are right wing, pro Boris, Pro Trump, think he's utterly lost the plot even through the typical Sun reader rhetoric of Looting is bad/Protests are fine, they think sending the Police in attacking people protesting police kllng a man isn't right.

Te thing that gets me is his Cult are proud of their racism, ignore he's a child rapist and lap him up like a man of God, when frankly from the cripture he's more akin to the spawn of satan.

I despair over whats happening, i don't know how this is going to go, i fear he will deploy the army and then you'll get pockets of forces joining protesters and get the civil war he obviously craves

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
So, the way I see what,s happening in the US is that it's something that was a long time coming. But the way my country is handling it is not good, and hiding our heads in the sand is not going to help anyone.
There were solidarity protests in a lot of Canadian cities. I hardly think Canadians are hiding their heads in the sand. It has certainly encouraged a lot of dialogue. A lot of the TV news broadcasts spend the majority of the time reporting what is happening in the US and talking about the race issue in our own country.

Considering the biggest concern in Canada right now is getting covid under control, the concerns of what is going on in the US is definitely not getting ignored. Canadians are relating and well aware of the racial problems in our own country.

Oct 27, 2017
Here in Amsterdam we were a couple of thousand strong showing support yesterday. The mayor is getting a lot of flack for not sending in the police to break it up due to Corona concerns. Corona concerns, sure, valid, but breaking that up with police force? That would have been tone deaf and would have ended badly, I am afraid. I hope people do not see this as an exclusively American issue but is also a wake up call for the wrongs perpetrated on people of color in the Netherlands.

SixtyFourBlades

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
It's the biggest topic in Belize right now. Heated debates, and it has exposed the racism we have in our own country. Caribbean people are not exempt from this. We are definitely not as bad as the US, but it's there and these events have brought even more to light. Majority, however, stand with BLM!

Nov 5, 2017
OP, thanks for highlighting a global perspective on this insane situation in the US. There are just too many times that posts posted here have a US-centric view (not that that is a bad thing, but a global perspective is also useful).

Thanks for that.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Cable news is all over this, but most people have just been using what's going on in the US as a way to shed some light on our own ongoing problems. You probably won't see any solidarity protests from us.

It's probably worth noting that "videos of protestors being tear gassed and beaten/shot with rubber bullets" really don't faze us at all and haven't for a long time.

Last edited:

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know how car crashes seem to be popular? Kinda like that but for news cycles, a similar coverage like the yellow vests (that got quite a bit more attention tho), or the hong kong riots (these ones were purposely buried in the major news a bit later, i wonder why...) a superficial 5- 7 minutes look of some riots, smashed windows and minimal contextualization of anything.

Melhadf

Dec 25, 2017
UK here - The media is downlplaying it, same as everything that ever happens. Personally, I think you are pretty much fucked at this point. Your police are a military organisation without the training, and they are seeing how much damage they can do to anyone that stands near them, or looks at them.

Seems that what the police learnt from Rodney King was take out anyone that is recording...

I'm scared for you all.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
Watching from Canada and it's horrifying. I'm disappointed world leaders have not been more forthright with condemnations.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Don't know about other countries, but in Canada it pretty much resulted in a lot of people being all happy about how we're so much better and we so can't believe things like that could happen. Police brutality is a thing here too. Systemic racism is a thing here too. I'm kind of tired to read and hear things like "We're not as bad", no we're probably not. Doesn't mean we're good. Doesn't mean we don't have things to change. Ask first nations people about how much better Canada is. We had asian citizens getting yelled, screamed and spit on because of COVID-19. Black people are also victims of racism here, so are arabs, latinos, and all ethnicities.

The worst defense against systemic racism I've seen is that "The system was not created to allow racism", no one said it was. It's just that things are systematically racist. Harder to get a job. Harder to get food. Harder to get lodging. Easier to get arrested and shat on because of the color of your skin. The thing is, it's so easy to use. I was actually a part of that defense for a pretty long time, when you come from a certain privilege (in my case, I'm white) it's hard to get out of your bubble and see things from other perspective. You know they suffer, but it's so easy to just muffle the screams and act like everything is ok. Why are they always complaining? Why are they always crying? Why are they protesting? And then you start thinking, *gasp*, maybe they act this way because there is a huge problem?

I wanna say thanks as someone in the U.S. I'm first in line to shit on my country, cause it deserves it a lot. I just feel like other, for a lack of better word western nations, lack people willing to do this, but will gladly jump on the U.S. I only interact with people from other nations online, but a lot of the time it comes off like the U.S. is their distraction from their own nation's issues with racism. "At least we're not that bad", just comes off as a deflection and unwillingness to look at one's own issues. Though the protests throughout the world are certainly reassuring that other nations realize they have these problems to some extent as well.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
in Iran, regime is very happy with this situation, because they can use it as a great propaganda machine to show how evil is US government.
We had much worse than these protests in Iran months ago and also some years ago, with hundreds or even thousands of deaths, but you couldn't see much about them on TV or in newspapers and everything they showed were completely against protesters. But now they defend protests in US and you can see the videos about police attacking people in all news sections on TV.
Also they talk about how US government was talking about Iran protests and how they're attacking protesters in their country these days.

ptnl_sdsd.jpg

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Every single person, from young, to middle aged, to pensioners everyone, i have spoken to n the past week have been utterly appauled , comments of dictator, madman, hitler, nothing complementary of The Bunker in Chief (lots of comments about when hitler went in a bunker too)
Hell even the workmen on one of my jobs, who all typically are right wing, pro Boris, Pro Trump, think he's utterly lost the plot even through the typical Sun reader rhetoric of Looting is bad/Protests are fine, they think sending the Police in attacking people protesting police killing a man isn't right.
I know some pretty nutty conservatives as well and their current opinion of how Trump has handled the past few months is not positive. That country is a mess and nobody is impressed with how the US government is dealing with it. For the few people who ever had any respect for Trump, he's lost it. Nobody likes fascism.

I would guess that international opinion of the United States is at an all time low. There is disgust for the government, but empathy for the people. Well, maybe just some of the people. The people who support Republicans do not get any respect.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
To be honest in France, at least the info channel i'm watching, they're so obsessed with covid (and now it's economical consequences) that they barely talk about it.

Dec 31, 2017
In Germany everyone I've spoken to thinks this is insane and the USA is pretty much in a downward spiral.

Actually everyone I have spoken to, regardless of where they are or come from, think that this is a disaster, and that the powers that be are not handling it well at all.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
It's not that he was caught off-guard, but that publicly condemning the leadership of your biggest trading partner is a tricky thing to do when you are a head of state.
Yeah, that's how I took it as well. I could hear the gears in his head wondering how he could word this without ruining relations with the U.S. for, hopefully, the rest of the year.

ChrisP8Three

Oct 26, 2017
Leeds
I know some pretty nutty conservatives as well and their current opinion of how Trump has handled the past few months is not positive. That country is a mess and nobody is impressed with how the US government is dealing with it. For the few people who ever had any respect for Trump, he's lost it. Nobody likes fascism.

I would guess that international opinion of the United States is at an all time low. There is disgust for the government, but empathy for the people. Well, maybe just some of the people. The people who support Republicans do not get any respect.

It feels like you are dagerously close to your own Tiannamen Square, so thats just how low the opinion is getting