• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are You interested in Getting An OLED Switch?

• Upgrading it from my NSW/Lite

Votes: 281 25.9%
  • Getting one and never owned a NSW/Lite

Votes: 30 2.8%
  • I have a NSW/Lite, but no need to upgrade

Votes: 421 38.8%
  • Not interested at all

Votes: 353 32.5%

• Total voters

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
There's no better example of the Era bubble than thinking Nintendo gives even a second though to the Steam Deck lol

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
Having a premium model that makes the original Switch look like a better value proposition than it currently is without having to deliver a worldwide price cut.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I keep saying this....I dont know if its happening here..... but the mid gen refreshes from Sony and MS last gen has made some ppl see things a bit differently, and IMO thats a mistake.

Aleman

Dec 20, 2018
I cancelled my OLED pre-order as I realized I'm fine with my launch Switch. I don't use it much outside of new first party releases and Mario Kart parties, and it doesn't solve the ergonomic or game pricing problems I have with Switch in general.

It seems like a rather pointless update.

Deluxury

Dec 3, 2018
To me it feels like Nintendo wants OLED to be the walking billboard - when people do tabletop gaming / holding OLED handheld in the public and people around see how beautiful the screen it looks, it may entice more people to buy.

lobdale

Oct 25, 2017
Same as the PS4 Pro basically, prolong the generation while offering a higher priced model.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Likely these:

• An excuse to lower the price of the "regular switch" while still making even more money
  • An excuse for existing Switch owners to replace their current Switch with a more expensive one
  • Incentivizes new consumers to pick up the latest and greatest

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
User banned (1 week): Platform wars
nintendo likes money

nintendo understands their fans are gaming's biggest suckers

brainstorm

release the same console 4 years later with a 720 pen tile oled display and an ethernet jack for more money

???

profit

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
IMO, they will phase out the current Switch once Switch 2/Pro comes out, put OLED at that $300 price (maybe a few $ less), and sell new model for $400. So the current move allows them to get ready for new model on the screen side, get a few folks to upgrade, sell at higher MSRP and keep the brand in the news.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
My usecase isn't quite listed: I get an OLED so I can fully dedicate my launch Switch to Android and CFW.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
TSMC is raising prices a lot. This allows them to discontinue OG (which they're certain to do), implement a price increase on the base model, and keep their profit margin in tact. OLED gives them the cover to do so (even though the screen itself isn't expensive).

Aug 15, 2020
I have a Day 1 Switch. I figure I can upgrade to a model with a better screen and battery life and then I can jailbreak my OG and play around with homebrew on it or sell it if I get bored.
This was my thought process as well, but if I'm honest with myself, I don't think I'll get around to homebrew. I can just sell it to cover a large portion of the OLED costs and get that better screen and battery life. Mine has accumulated a decent amount of regular wear and tear over the past 4 years so a refresh is welcome.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
hello-money.gif

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
Anecdotally to encourage Launch Day Switch owners like myself to purchase a new Switch.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Multiple Switches per household. Nintendo is pretty open about that.

Also its just a hardware refresh basically.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Having a premium model that makes the original Switch look like a better value proposition than it currently is without having to deliver a worldwide price cut.
I dont think thats true, its the opposite - the new OLED is a no brainer if you are interested in a new Switch and not many people would go for the standard Switch instead if buying the device now.

The Switch Lite is/was the model that goal is to make the regular Switch look like the better value proposition and it still does that.

Dragonyeuw

Nov 4, 2017
From a business perspective? They want the main Switch in 2021 to sell for $350, not $300. Why? Because the consumer has been conditioned to accept $400/$500 consoles as the new norm, and the Switch as a brand has enough cache to sell at the higher pricepoint while still coming in under the newer consoles. Whenever the next gen Nintendo system comes out, you can expect it to launch at that price, so it's preparing the consumer for that pricetag.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and that's not even a qualitative statement but rather the price points of the Steam Deck vs the Switch just don't even put them in competition with each other. Steam Deck is high end hardware sold for a high end price point which is never what Nintendo aims to do. They make affordable hardware often with an interesting gameplay influencing twist. Valve and Nintendo just aren't targeting the same thing.
The oled and entry model Steam deck are competing with each other.

BennyWhatever

Oct 27, 2017
US
My launch Switch has more than 2k hours on it and is falling apart. Instead of replacing it with the same thing, I'm replacing it with something slightly better.
Exact same thing as the 3DS. Launch 3DS was played to death, so I got a new2DSXL.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Business perspective it keeps a full priced model on the market and I assume they'll phase out the launch model and just have the OLED and Lite available once that stock sales out. Also double dips from diehards who want the best version.

I already have a base model (with some minor screen damage from an unlucky drop so it stays in the dock) and a Lite (bought for more comfy handheld gaming and due to the screen damage on the other one) and have no interest on the OLED model. I don't game nearly as much on my Switch since getting a PS5 and XSX and the base model hurts my hands/wrists in long handheld session so I'd rather stick with the Lite for that and thus wouldn't benefit form a better screen anyway.

Oct 26, 2017
I was originally interested because my system is running hotter, but when the Steam Deck was revealed, I've lost all interest in OLED.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably to get supply lines open for OLED screens so that they have that resource for when they eventually pivot to a full switch refresh.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
I love the OLED solely because its release means the family of systems is going to be supported for a while longer.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's a hotdogs vs hotdog buns situation? Like maybe they ran out of screens before they ran out of other components so they just refreshed that aspect.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Likely these:

• An excuse to lower the price of the "regular switch" while still making even more money
  • An excuse for existing Switch owners to replace their current Switch with a more expensive one
  • Incentivizes new consumers to pick up the latest and greatest

I think if there were any real chance of a price cut any time soon, Nintendo wouldn't have held that correction for exchanges rates for European markets recently to bring them back in line with the other currency values, when they could have rolled that in to an even bigger looking price cut.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
to protect the ASP (average selling price) and increase profit margins.

Cut costs, increase a little tech here and there (i'm sure they are basically renewing hardware contracts with partners and getting good discounts for more current product lines), raise the price, you can maintain higher ASP for longer to keep the market profitability healthy for you (and in this case, added benefit of not having to increase software prices).

Buys them some time to transition to another cycle without having anything new/interesting exciting to talk about to the market

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
to make its games look like a 9th gen game baby!

(i remember an article or journo tweet saying this but can't find it lol)

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
I have a launch switch that is getting worse and worse battery by the day, I could get a new battery and change it myself, but I rather get the new one and sell my old one to a friend tbh
Better battery life, better screen, hinge, storage etc for a decent price after I sell mine.

BeefTengoku

Jul 9, 2019
Because the next Switch will probably use the same screen, and getting manufacturing going now ensures supply and keeps costs low through economies of scale.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Because it works...
The goal is to makes it "fresh" while still being an old thing. So it's good for new comers but also good for old ones. I think the stats about smartphone renewal was around 3-4 years on average.
Having an hybrid home console without Ethernet is also a joke in 2021 so that count I guess (hope they also improved the awful wireless connexion).

Oct 25, 2017
Always felt like it was a half-step like how Apple will put out a second model within the same year. A slight upgrade, mostly for people who haven't pulled the trigger yet, but not for people who are looking for a bigger jump in tech and features.

If I may put on my Switch Pro tinfoil hat for a second:

1. They put out this model and slowly but surely faze out the older Switch model.

2. They release a Switch Pro, but this one is console-only and can only be played on TV. Because, ideally, the people who would care the most about performance, 4K, and wouldn't mind spending extra on a pro model are most likely not using their Switches in portable mode very often (if at all).

3. The Switch OLED would be for folks who use portable mode enough that they would want a good quality screen to play it on. Switch Lites would still stay around (barring maybe a revision model) as the budget option for kids, people who only really play in portable mode, or for people who just simply want a more budget-friendly Switch.

I feel like this would make the most sense, so that is precisely why Nintendo isn't going to do it.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
Accessibility of hardware likely?

The Hardware pieces for the switch are getting old, so it may have been a necessity for ongoing production with reduced impact from availability

FreddeGredde

Oct 27, 2017
They got a good deal on OLED screens and want to start using them before their next generation console is out.

Probably.

Oct 25, 2017
I assume their manufacturing pipeline necessitated a screen tech upgrade, whether that's now or they're getting ahead of it.

As for the poll , which doesn't match the title question lol, I have a switch that works as good as the day I got it at launch, but I'd like something new and shiny so I'm buying one. I can move the old one to the bedroom for my partner to play splatoon on, so it works out well for everyone.