• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you like dialogue options that have no real effect?

• Yes

Votes: 131 34.7%
  • No

Votes: 152 40.3%
  • Thor: The Dark World

Votes: 94 24.9%

• Total voters

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
It's an invitation for the player to role play along and establish their "voice" even if it doesn't effect anything. Because sometimes characterization is more important than consequences.

Think about the movie Reservoir Dogs and the tipping scene. It's one of the most memorable moments of the movie, even if it doesn't amount to anything in where the movie goes from there. If there was a Reservoir Dogs: The Video Game, the decision whether or not to tip would be the most character-defining choice you could make in that setting. It wouldn't matter for shit as for actual consequences, but it would be the most debated choice online.

FAKE EDIT: Halfway through typing this, I thought "Wait, wasn't there actually a Reservoir Dogs game made?" Turns out, yes there has been! In fact, there have been two Reservoir games, and one came out in 2006, and the other in 2017! But then the latter got delisted after a few months?!? Fucking wild!

Now I need to know if either had a tipping mechanic.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes being able to roleplay a bit can be its own merit.

Yep, they're mostly for roleplays, not the "good choice/asshole choice" kind of roleplay but you're simply choosing the nuances of how you would react. I liked that.

Also the "Yes/No answer but you're going to say yes anyway" has kinda gotten out of fashion and writers are more often making fun of them now.

awPSL31.jpg

Nov 4, 2017
I didnt mind how in HZD it was mostly just adding a bit of flavour to what Aloy was saying, but clearly didn't have a huge impact. Games that have radically different text but ahcieve the same result are lame.

SxP

Oct 27, 2017
I really enjoyed some of Dragon Quest XI "No" responses. Or, rather, the responses to your no response. And then you're forced to select "Yes" anyway, of course.

So of course I always select No, maybe even twice (sometimes there's some new dialog).

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Depends. In games like Persona 5 or Final Fantasy XIV they serve no real purpose and your character remains a hollow shell. In WRPGs they often contribute to how you perceive your character and his or her personality, even if that one particular dialogue choice might have no effect.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Yakuza one of the few I don't mind, since they make the useless answers batshit insane.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
Just adds some flavor to the game and it lets you dictate the tone of the protagonist even if the story beats remain unchanged.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Flavor. Fun. Not everything has to lead to a decision.

Part of the fun of dialog heavy games is reading the dialog, which means little flavor like that is always enjoyable. Seeing what the NPC reacts with.

But it´s not fun to pick a borderline psycopath dialogue choice only for the NPC to react friendly or ambivalent. It feels artificial and breaks immersion.
The problem is when devs don´t make the dialogue meaningful and human - even if it´s just for flavor, which is a-okay.

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
I hate it when I have no idea if the choices would affect the outcome or not.
I hate it more when I find out the options have no effect.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
Hate it, especially in Genshin Impact. Just let me skip the dialogue completely...

Jul 24, 2018
RPGs live and breath on the illusion of choice abd I enjoy the illusion when it's done well. Like I love the dialogue options in XIV as it also gives the WoL a lot of character.

Jul 24, 2018
Yeah it's horrible in games like Fallout 4 and Cyberpunk 2077. The dialog doesn't give you any real option. A real RPG is about more than stats and leveling up, it's about giving you options on how to make decisions.
Even so called real RPGs, or cRPGs, have dialogue options that has no real deeper narrative effect, and I don't really see that as a bad thing. Sometimes they can build character if the lines are funny or engaging.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
I loved some of the ridiculous ones in Dragon Quest XI. Like:

"Do you want to play this game?"
- Yes: "ok cool"​
- No: "Ok, but maybe you do actually want to play this game?"​
- Yes: "let's go!"​
- No: "but are you sure though?"​

Etc.

Games that have more seemingly significant dialogue option that lead to the same result with maybe one line difference can be a bit awkward though. But I guess the point is to make it feel like your choices have a bigger impact even when you later realize they never did...

Evilisk

Oct 25, 2017
Choices that don't matter have their place in games. For example, there is this comedic JRPG called Okage: Shadow King, and part of the story's setup is that the main character is just such an overshadowed and unremarkable pushover. The game gets this across by constantly putting the MC in ridiculous situations and giving the player dialogue options that are either barely acknowledged or are just ignored entirely

299774-okage-shadow-king-playstation-2-screenshot-choices-choices.png

I will say, it's not like this for the entire game. It never gets as drastic as having multiple endings but, without spoiling anything, they do play with concept of the MC having some agency with their dialogue options later in the story. Also, while the dialogue options don't affect the story, they do affect a completely optional sidequest (it's a very lite compatibility / social link quest that rewards you depending on who you've been friendlest too)

But that's getting besides the point. You can use arbitrary dialogue options to do more than just give players a false sense of choice

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'm very disappointed that there's an actual poll in this thread and not just 3 choices that all mean yes.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
It's especially terrible when they trick people into thinking it will matter, like in Cyberpunk for instance.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I like ones that let you give comedy or asshole answers without it actually ruining anything

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
I recently played vtmb and I like it in games like that were it lets me roleplay my character the way I want. I think they only become an issue if you intend to replay a game multiple times, which I'm rarely going to do for an rpg.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
There's a technical word for this but it's essentially a way of adding cost free, no consequence player expression

Coinspinner

Nov 6, 2017
I prefer having no dialog choices. Never seen a setup for these that did anything I liked.

Option 1: Play the game.
Option 2: Don't play the game.

or

Option 1: Cut off half the game.
Option 2: Cut off half the game.

or

Option 1: 2 lines of dialog change.
Option 2: 2 lines of dialog change.

Bleh.

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
What if we build an entire game with insanely complex dialog choices akin to Tokimeki Memorial, where each and every answer could possibly change the ending and the protagonist's relationship with everybody, what weapons become available, what content becomes accessible. Meaningful choice! Surely that wouldn't take up an insane amount of resources only for people to google the best path and stick with that. Surely not.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
The one thing I don't like if is the dialogue options go completely unremarked upon by the NPCs. Your choices should draw a reaction to the characters you're speaking to, at least, otherwise I don't get much from it.

I don't need them to influence the plot as a whole, necessarily, I just want to feel like the choices I make for my character are at least recognized by the game in some fashion. Plus, what's the point of snark if none of the NPC characters notice it?

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
For me, it's all about the journey, not the destination. If the NPCs react appropriately to your dialogue choices, even if the outcome is the same regardless of which one you choose, it can be a nice addition.

Of course, if the NPC reacts the exact same way no matter what, then it's a bit pointless to have them in the first place.

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it gives me comfort and allows me to have fun with the RP knowing I can say whatever I want and not have to worry about the result/consequence/not getting the right ending/locking myself out of something ect.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Don't like it in rpg's, but I love it in point and click adventures. In Lucasarts games, half the fun came from choosing idiotic responses.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
But it does have a real effect!

In one version of the story, you said one thing.

In another version of a story, you said another thing.

Things don't have to be mechanically reflected in the game world to be 'real' in the game world.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I guess you're not supposed to know that they have no effect, and they make you click a button once in a while so that you still feel like you're playing a game when watching a cutscene

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
In Persona 5 Strikers, there are multiple times where a dialogue choice were all just variants of "yes".

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I find it amusing in some games; RPGs to be exact.

But this is pointless...

images

This was pretty cool to be honest. This is essentially about which of these findings you thought was the one that defined his life. It's a nice and simple choice.

And it's pretty funny that they end in the exact same line and it's always true.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
The illusion of choice can be preferable to some than no choice at all, and offers the possibility of actually mattering.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Something worth noting is that FF7R's dialog options aren't actually as meaningless as they appear:

There's a scene near the end where you have a heart-to-heart with Tifa, Aerith or Barret. The character chosen is based on which of the three you've been nicer to over the course of the game.

But even without stuff like that, it just lets you impact little pieces of dialog and put your own spin on minor scenes. It doesn't need to have a big affect: just let you feel a little more in control of the main character and either say "I care about you" or "you're being overbearing, lay off me."

Also isn't Tifas dress based on the Dialogue options you chose?