• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prinz Eugn

Oct 25, 2017
In New Mexico, Pluto is still a planet by state law, since the discoverer, Clyde Tombaugh, was a prominent resident. So take that, science.

Bora Horza

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
No FTL space travel, no magic technology that is easy to invent and build that can give us a hyperdrive or wormholes etc. Shit sucks.

Oct 26, 2017
I think this is time for me to resurrect my failure to understand how a pressurised bottle of helium isn't lighter than an empty one. I've had the science of it explained to me, but it still feels wrong. In my mind, it absolutely makes sense that filling a metal bottle of helium would make it try and float away, even just a tiny bit.... I know I'm wrong....I just can't accept it.
Sounds like maybe you're thinking about the "empty" bottle as being full of air? In which case the helium bottle could indeed be lighter (depending on the respective pressures, of course), but not nearly enough to make it float.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Raptors and all the supposed smart dinosaurs were actually incredibly dumb. Above rabbits but below cats and dogs.

Z7B5ehxm_pMdwlS_7dEhtS04xHd3VQ7qai3IfaZzdGF0RWBDB4p00Mv0y7pGuC1uiW1JZuUWp3Y6IpF0uHfTk7PRk-22HnBzYwSMoMJzU9V6-b5G5NetbDFV

They were smart by dinosaur standards.
not a good sign for humans that it took me an uncomfortably long time to figure out humans are smarter than rabbits.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
How is "birds are dinosaurs" unwelcome lore? I think that shit's rad as fuck. Makes me like birds more.

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Time isn't linear, we just experience it that way.

Don't know if I'm even understanding that part of it right, or any of it.

Learning about time in general fucks me up. I love it though.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Gravity is a lie and we're all just falling through curved space-time in a geodesic manner.
Not quite, the (flat) earth we're standing on is actually moving upwards.
Now, you might say "But if we move upwards, wouldn't everything else move with it? How does that make gravity happen?" like an idiot. Like an utter moron.
Gravity happens because the (flat) earth is not moving steadily.
It's accelerating!
At 9.81 m/s.

I still don't know if the guy was serious, but a flat earth guy once explained that to me

Time isn't linear, we just experience it that way.

Don't know if I'm even understanding that part of it right, or any of it.

Learning about time in general fucks me up. I love it though.
Have you read Carlo Rovelli's "The Order of Time"? Maybe that's already beneath you, but I found it fascinating.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Feathered dinosaurs fucking rule. You Jurassic Park nerd babies need to get over it.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
I knew about the corkscrew penis but they also have barbs on their dicks! Wtf!
Cats have barbed penises too.

Bed bugs just stab the female and cum in their blood (hemolymph, it's like hydraulics). It's called traumatic insemination.

cnx.org

OpenStax | Free Textbooks Online with No Catch

OpenStax offers free college textbooks for all types of students, making education accessible & affordable for everyone. Browse our list of available subjects!

edit:

wow just found out a spider species does that too. And they have other fucked up reproductive evolutions lol

www.nationalgeographic.com

Traumatic insemination – male spider pierces female’s underside with needle-sharp penis

The male Harpactea sadistica spider has a needle-sharp penis. When he mates with a female, he incapacitates her with a bite. Ignoring her genital tract, he drives the needle straight through her underside and ejaculates directly into her body cavity.

Last edited:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
T-Rexes looking like chickens is some bullshit.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
Uh oh the feather discussion is always weird because what are we defining as feathers? Some ceratopsids had proto-feathers in the form of quills. Pretty certain it's the same structure. One of the oldest dino fossils we have also has proto-feathers. It'd be more like ostrich plumage than flight feathers.

Quantum physics in general is just unintuitive enough for it to probably apply for me. The idea that most of our fundamental particles and forces are just interactions of different wave functions is wild. Or, like, how the universe is expanding but it's technically stretching space and not exactly creating new space? But I know that that mostly comes down to the fact I've been imagining these interactions in a different way and I just have to adjust my perception of it.

No, since I mentioned universal expansion this is it for me: the universe is expanding at a rate where, even with faster-than-light travel, we will never be able to explore outside our local galaxy cluster.

You have countless mites living on your face at this very moment, one good example of a place that they really enjoy is your eyelashes.
My high school zoology teacher told us that if you were to suddenly pop out of existence there would still be a faint silhouette of your body from all the parasites and stuff on your skin

Viriditas

Oct 25, 2017
United States
Have you read Carlo Rovelli's "The Order of Time"? Maybe that's already beneath you, but I found it fascinating.

I haven't, but thanks for the suggestion! It definitely does look fascinating and I added it to my wish list with max haste. :)

Somewhat tangential, but if you happen to like mixing complicated timey-wimey goodness with grim fiction, Dark on Netflix was a goddamn trip.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
Free will is a lie and your sense that you've chosen anything is really just your conscious mind creating narratives to explain unconscious decisions that were made deterministically. The brain can actually be observed initiating the physical instructions to do something before it begins the mental signals to choose to do it

www.wired.com/2008/04/mind-decision/amp

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Pluto being demoted from being a planet. How dare they.

Dinosaurs having feathers is second place.

Bigwombat

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
Don't look at what Knuckles is packing...

From Wikipedia:

Male echidnas have a four-headed penis.[21] During mating, the heads on one side "shut down" and do not grow in size; the other two are used to release semen into the female's two-branched reproductive tract. Each time it copulates, it alternates heads in sets of two.[22][23] When not in use, the penis is retracted inside a preputial sac in the cloaca. The male echidna's penis is 7 centimetres (2.8 in) long when erect, and its shaft is covered with penile spines.[24] These may be used to induce ovulation in the female.[25]

Wtf? Besides the horror show of the actual act of reproduction in these animals they are packing some serious heat! Echidnas' dongs are almost 3 inches and muscovy ducks dongs are a 1/4 of their body length according to that article I linked. That's like me having an 18 inch penis at the same proportions! No thanks.
Cats have barbed penises too.

Bed bugs just stab the female and cum in their blood (hemolymph, it's like hydraulics). It's called traumatic insemination.

cnx.org

OpenStax | Free Textbooks Online with No Catch

OpenStax offers free college textbooks for all types of students, making education accessible & affordable for everyone. Browse our list of available subjects!

edit:

wow just found out a spider species does that too. And they have other fucked up reproductive evolutions lol

Traumatic insemination – male spider pierces female’s underside with needle-sharp penis

The male Harpactea sadistica spider has a needle-sharp penis. When he mates with a female, he incapacitates her with a bite. Ignoring her genital tract, he drives the needle straight through her underside and ejaculates directly into her body cavity.
Thats enough learning about other animal sex lives for me today!

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Oh yeah I misread my source. I think it was meant to be "Most, if not all, non-bird dinosaurs had feathers."
It might have been "Most, if not all, theropod dinosaurs", because even the largest ones likely had some feathers. T-rex and the other large ones likely didn't look like birds, though, at least according to the most recent research I've seen.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

There are male spiders that rip off their own genitals while mating. Here's a picture of a couple after mating with the male's pedipalp still stick in the female's genital opening.

2siWdWrQvNX29sX4G5nwQd-1200-80.jpg

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
Botanically it is a fruit, legally and cullinarily speaking it is a vegetable.
"Tomatoes are a vegetable" is not science. The Supreme Court decided that because New York wanted to tax tomato imports. Vegetables are taxed, fruits are not. They gave some bullshit excuse about "vegetables are served with the main meal and fruits are dessert" which ignores that many main meal foods like corn, beans, peas, cucumbers, avocados, squash/zucchini, eggplant, olives, and okra are all fruit and stuff like applesauce and cranberry sauce is served with meals.

Burbank

Sep 9, 2018
Pangea
Raptors and all the supposed smart dinosaurs were actually incredibly dumb. Above rabbits but below cats and dogs.

Z7B5ehxm_pMdwlS_7dEhtS04xHd3VQ7qai3IfaZzdGF0RWBDB4p00Mv0y7pGuC1uiW1JZuUWp3Y6IpF0uHfTk7PRk-22HnBzYwSMoMJzU9V6-b5G5NetbDFV

They were smart by dinosaur standards.

How could they possibly credibly relate this to intelligence w mammals? We don't even understand how smart various living animals are.

Anyone care to sum up? Intelligence by skull shape only? That seems reductive.

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
Humans are destroying the planet. We have multi billion dollar corporations who find this kernel of truth as VERY unwelcome and they do everything in their power to counter it.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
How could they possibly credibly relate this to intelligence w mammals? We don't even understand how smart various living animals are.

Anyone care to sum up? Intelligence by skull shape only? That seems reductive.
Encephalization quotient is brain size versus expected brain size based on size of the animal. Like an elephant's brain is relatively, twice the size of a cat brain.
My new favorite part of science is that red foxes are smarter than elephants, dogs and cats while also being soooo cute.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Birds being dinosaurs--and therefore, that dinosaurs still exist--is way more interesting than them just being some sort of mythical movie monsters that people can't let the memory of go.