• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows (TMNT:OOTS)...

I'm one of a very small percentage of ppl with the Platinum trophy. I'm scarred for life because of it.

Eppcetera

Mar 3, 2018
I'll go with Final Fantasy XV. Not only did I find it unsatisfying on its own terms, with its rushed, unfinished story, but it was unsatisfying as a Final Fantasy game.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Metroid: Other M
not a good metroid game, bad controls, terrible story

Tomb Raider 2013
felt like a game where everything interesting was focus grouped out of existence

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
Since I couldn't even bring myself to beat Phantom Hourglass I gotta go with Castlevania II: Simon's Quest.

The game feels like a hollow shell of Castlevania and it's filled with riddles. The currency grind isn't fun either.

Escargo

Oct 29, 2017
Just finished jake hunter alt: daedalus. Super unfulfilling... felt like I didnt get my moneys worth too.

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Dalek How about that Marvel Puzzle Quest, eh? Even by gatcha standards, it had unreasonably bad monitzation and demanded you basically play it as a second job

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Destiny 2

The most boring high budget title ever created. I fell asleep on time during a boss fight haha

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
Dalek How about that Marvel Puzzle Quest, eh? Even by gatcha standards, it had unreasonably bad monitzation and demanded you basically play it as a second job

yeah. I'm glad I broke that habit because man....to make ANY reasonable progress in the game you had to play for hours each and every day.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
To me that was tyranny... It felt so unfinished with the low key ending stretch... seldom have I experienced such an acute let down, unless I count when I was not aware the game was just a first part(like the old multiparter game lost in time)
220px-Tyranny_cover_art.png

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
full

For me it's the Civ series. Ridiculously fun and addictive during a game, but the complete lack of meta progression and unlocks means that when I finally finish a game after 10+ hours I always wonder what the point was. It made me aware of how important unlocks are in games, for tricking my mind into thinking the days I spent playing games actually accomplished something. Civ games are just a 10 hour round trip back to the main menu screen.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Horizon Zero Dawn. I forced a mentality of needing to get my money's worth out of it which required completion and I regretted wasting so much time on the game.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Final Fantasy XV. It seemed as if it ended way too quickly, going from a fantastic open world to dark, dreary corridors. Also the whole atmosphere of the ending was just so depressing and hopeless. After its many updates and expansions I was thinking of replaying it again, but I just can't bring myself to live through that awful second half that will again ruin it for me.

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Final Fantasy XV. It seemed as if it ended way too quickly, going from a fantastic open world to dark, dreary corridors. Also the whole atmosphere of the ending was just so depressing and hopeless. After its many updates and expansions I was thinking of replaying it again, but I just can't bring myself to live through that awful second half that will again ruin it for me.
You mentioning the ending like that, I am actually interested in giving it a shot lmao

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gears of War 2. It was so deeply designed as a middle chapter they didn't dare do literally anything interesting with it. Like the only parts I remember are the awful spiritual cog guy who was non-stop hurling "deep" shit at you, Dom shooting his wife and the most miserable joke of a final boss ever put in a video game.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking games we actually finished, I'll go with Final Fantasy XIII. Until that game I never thought possible for a FF game to be bad, I was in total disbelief, so much that I even played some of the endgame, thinking that if I kept looking I would trigger the real game to start.

Also reboot Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider, I couldn't even explain why I finished these games, I guess one of them I got with PS+ back when it was a PS3 thing and the other was really cheap and I wanted to check if they had been able to make something worthwhile.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany
No Mans Sky. grindy for grinds sake, the whole game makes no sense and is still a technical wreck. complete waste of time.
Rage 2 for runner up, this was the baddest game in years.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
You mentioning the ending like that, I am actually interested in giving it a shot lmao

You like dark, depressing endings?
One thing I will give FFXV, even though its story is kind of a mess, feels fragmented and unfinished, the ending still manages to hit an emotional homerun. I've also heard that from many other players of the game. I think that is because at the end people actually come to like and to care for Noctis and his brothers.

darz1

Dec 18, 2017
Another one for Ass Creed 3. What a boring bland horrible game. The worst part is i actually bought Ass Creed 4 after so many people said it was much better. Holy shit that was boring too. Fooled me once shame on you, fooled me twice shame on me

Edgar

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
You like dark, depressing endings?
One thing I will give FFXV, even though its story is kind of a mess, feels fragmented and unfinished, the ending still manages to hit an emotional homerun. I've also heard that from many other players of the game. I think that is because at the end people actually come to like and to care for Noctis and his brothers.
I very much do, if its executed well. Theres not enough of them in AAA space imo

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Xenoblade 2. I only finished it because... I hate myself? The game was trash. I was just playing waiting for it to get good. The ending story beats were good? But that wasn't because of the game itself.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah MGSV left me with a Phantom Pain for the game that the trailers made it look like so much I have to wonder if it was on purpose.

chipperrip

Jan 29, 2019
Dragon Age 2, and shortly after, Kingdoms of Amalur.

When I played DA2 I was still in a very completionist mindset and forced myself to complete games even if I wasn't enjoying them.

After DA2 I said never again, and KoA was the first game I abandoned for wasting my time.

Now I'm too far in the opposite end, and have trouble sticking with games I'm enjoying.

Aug 28, 2019
I'm gonna pick on Braid.

Some of the puzzles were ingenious, no doubt. And that's kinda part of the problem. Solving them didn't feel organic or fun to me; they were such clockwork creations that I felt more like I was picking apart the developer's thought process instead of leveraging a set of tools to solve problems. I'm not sure if that makes sense. Not that the puzzle design was invalid, it just wasn't what I wanted out of a puzzle platformer.

The other issue I had with it was the story and writing. It's totally optional, I know, but the game garnered a lot of praise for it. I could not take it nearly as seriously as the game wanted me to.

The whole thing was just, well... unfulfilling. A well-made game, but one that felt sterile to me in spite of the craftsmanship.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Life is strange before the storm.

For some reason I finished it and platinumed but yuck .what a fall from Grace from first life is strange .

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Uncharted 4.

I bought it on sale just as a bit of eye-candy for my Pro but not even the amazing visuals could salvage that pointless, languid onerous slog.

Visuwell

Jan 22, 2019
Man of medan. Ik ik I'll get hate for it but i was left so unsatisfied. Kept everyone alive too.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Tearaway on Vita.

I don't really care for the whole folklore stuff. The game was fine, and it was one of the few Vita games that really took advantage of being on the Vita. But the storytelling was 100% not for me.

Aug 28, 2019
I think expectation can play a big role in making a game seem unfulfilling. I've played an awful lot of less-than-enjoyable games over the years, but the ones that stand out are the disappointments. The ones that I kept pushing through, expecting or at least hoping for more, but that never delivered. If you just blow through something to pass the time with no investment or expectation, you're probably less likely to feel let down by it when it doesn't deliver anything worthwhile.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Forza Horizon 4. It's a slot machine with cars. Can't believe so many people loved this piece of shit. It's especially sad since FH3 is the best racing game I've ever played.

Fire emblem fates. I couldn't even finish it. The story fucking sucked, and that shit where you "stare" at your team mates. Girls on your team telling you how hard they'll work for you and never let you down. It just has this entire air of pervy-ness Ugh. The whole game is fucking cringe.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
Assassins Creed 3. That game was just a big slap in the face. I thought the opening act was actually pretty cool, but then it just kept going from bad to worse. Just making changes to the franchise for the sake of making changes as opposed to making improvements. That open forest are between cities was terrible. The cities themselves were terrible. The chase sequences. The combat. I kept playing though because I kept thinking there will at least be one other part of this game that is as good as the intro sequence, but it just never came.
Same shit happened to me. I haven't played an AC game since because III was so bad. I did jump back in with origins but that game is too fucking big so I never finished it. I won't even try with Odyssey.
Nier: Automata.

I bought into the hype, slogging through 30-hours of mediocre hack-and-slash combat (the last half of which was done with the 'automatic combat' option for the sake of my own sanity) - constantly expecting an emotional relavation, and instead just finding more trite, tired, anime bullshit.
Same. What a fucking slog with a stupid ass anime bullshit payoff. I know a lot of people love it but Jesus Christ, you gotta go through a bunch of bullshit just to get to the meat of things.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy XIII - Too different from the other entries. The plot and extremely restrictive progression (gameplay and storywise both) doesn't feel right for the series.
Assassin's Creed Origins - I understand why they went for more streamlined experience to get wider appeal. But excessive unnecessary bloat, no focus on climbing/parkour, shift from stealth to action and various other things soured my feelings about getting Odyssey at all.

Both were equally unfulfilling experiences.

RoninChaos

Oct 26, 2017
I kind of feel this way with damn near all the DLC I have. I really should stop buying it. I don't think hardly any dlc packs I've played have been interesting at all.

Another one I played recently that has just been a slog is Dragon Quest VI. I LOVE dragon quest but VI is the most boring and soulless, directionless DQ game I've ever seen. None of the characters are memorable and party chat can't save them either. It feels like a bunch of random ass stories thrown together and none of them are interesting. Which is a shame because for like the first six hours, the game has some great momentum and then it dies off for the next 20-30. Definitely the first "miss" I've had when it comes to DQ.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
a bunch of assassins creed games because of the modern day going nowhere since the end of ac3

odyssey is actually pretty freaking unfilling, despite being so long

oldboss

Nov 9, 2017
I was so let down by MGSV that it almost made me stop playing videogames altogether. Gave it a spin once a few months after that and I barely managed to play 20min before turning off the console.