• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all need to play some Atari...

As far as modern games that really disappointed me the two that jump out to me are Shenmue and Twilight Princess. Neither was a bad game, just did not live up to my personal hype.

BrunOz

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
Final Fantasy XV, I think I've finished it just because the graphic were charming for me at the time and the option to listen to FFVII and FFVIII ost in game kept me going. Hell I could even stay for the combat if things were different but even that was meh about it.

Aug 28, 2019
I mean I can totally see why this game wasn't for everyone but it had so much charm, awesome artstyle and voice acting and is still a very unique game to this day. It's everything but forgettable.

Fair enough. I might say instead that I just didn't come away with a strong impression from it. I played it long after its initial release, after hearing a lot of gushing praise. It was good, it just didn't live up to... whatever I was expecting, I guess.

Necromorph

Oct 30, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V, i never felt so betrayed, empty and hopeless after finishing a game.

Honor mention to Mass Effect 3, the ending was a complete blue balls.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
Y'all need to play some Atari...

As far as modern games that really disappointed me the two that jump out to me are Shenmue and Twilight Princess. Neither was a bad game, just did not live up to my personal hype.
I've played a lot of Atari games that were fine for ~15 minutes at a time, and it's not like many of them were designed to be played for longer sessions than that.

Shenmue is a favorite of mind but it's the spitting definition of "slow burn," so yeah.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
Chalk another one up for Rage 2. It's sad because the shooting is quite good, as it should be coming from id. The game could have been alright had it not forced itself into the open world formula. Oh, and if it hadn't copy-pasted the exact same boss 4 times over.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I bought a PS4 to play MGSV... legs just say it was a very disappointing realization that I might have been able to spend that money elsewhere lol

Ghostfacedon

Apr 17, 2019
Anthem. I beat the campaign and even grinded some afterward. Just a hollow experience. I even went back and tried the Cataclysm, but I'm done with the game.

Destiny 2 vanilla. This was my most anticipated sequel of a game ever. I literally got chills when I watched the first trailer. I was so hyped that even after release it took weeks for the honey moon phase to wear off and me realizing this is not good. Man, the director/leads on D2 vanilla nearly killed it for me. Luckily, things have turned around but sheesh.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
Resistance 2. I can't even believe Insomniac put out something of that quality. It just felt really unfinished. Outside of Hale, I really didn't give two shits about what was going on with the story, the boring boss battles, and the rough, ugly visuals. People viewed the MP much more favorably, but I couldn't bring myself to invest any more time than I did after completing the campaign. Waste of a weekend.

GlitchyDegree

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Dec 4, 2017
Metal Gear solid 4. The game started out great but I felt nothing by the end.

Borderlands 2. I hated almost everything about it but still beat it anyway. I even re-bought it on PC to play the new dlc.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Gears 4 campaign. Played it twice, first solo, then coop.

I've played a bit of gears 1 and 2 back in the day but never really payed attention to the story.

So when I did pay attention in Gears 4, I thought it was your boring typical military shooter with an anticlimactic ending.

Aug 28, 2019
Skyward Sword has been mentioned a few times and I have to agree. This was the first Zelda game I had played in a very long time, I think since Ocarina, and it was not exactly the return I was hoping for. It had some good points, but also a lot of bad ones, and overall just felt flat. Its excessive length didn't help, either.

ChristianH94

Apr 14, 2019
I'm gonna catch a lot of heat for saying this I'm sure, but Catherine. A really fun game but it totally missed the mark from what it was originally being teased as and instead ended up being a really fun puzzle game with a weird/silly anime trope filled story instead of this straight up psychological thriller that really would make players question what relationships truly are.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
For all time, World of Warcraft.

I played about a year and a half of vanilla, raided up through the Twin Emps as lead tank of my raiding guild, had Thunderfury even. Then just sorta realized I only enjoyed it for getting drunk and screwing around on voice chat as we killed random boss X for the Yth time only to end up sharding epic item Z. The game itself wasn't that interesting once you had gotten past the iniital fun of endgame and I looked back on the nights I'd poured into it and wondered WTF I was thinking.

Never been as remotely into an MMO as that since then. Did do some raids in RIFTS but it was always on weeknights. When I do pick up an MMO I play it pretty much as solo as I can these days.

More recently I'd say FFXII Zodiac Age. I sorta just finished it to see the story play out but it felt like I was going through the motions most of the second half. Pacing just fell apart and it all just felt...lacking. It had most of the pieces to be brilliant, but instead after the ending I was content to just delete it and move on.

Lucael

Oct 3, 2018
Recently, Nier Automata because:
- the huge hype around the game
- I was already a fan of Gestalt/Replicant
- Being a completionist and clearing quest before main story (add backtracking)
- Replaying the game in route B
- Repetitive, boring and unchallenging gameplay
- I was totally burnt out in route C/D/E, ending wouldn't come fast enough.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Zombie tsunami. Motherfucker i spent literally hundreds of hours playing and my cell phone died when it fell down to the sea. Since I didn't linked to Facebook and all that shit I lost everything.

Now I just downloaded a hack version with millions of money and diamonds. Fuck that shit.

Vagrant story. Same spent like 30 hours in trying to get everything. Every item, title you name it. Then I got angry playing another game, throwed my controller, it hitted the memory card attached to the console and broke it. Felt so lost.

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
I'm 50 hours in Dragon Quest Builders 2 and feel very unfulfilled. I like the game, but I feel like it consumes my time in a bad way.

Not sure if that makes sense. Like it hooks me for the wrong reasons.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
FFXV and MGSV.

I was never really a huge FF fan (only beat FFX up to that point which I liked), and I still don't know how I had the energy to see it through. The writing and VO was far too cringey for my tastes. Everything about exploring the open world felt cumbersome & actively worked against me. The boss battles were incredibly frustrating.

MGSV was a departure from everything I loved about MGS (structured linear narrative with copious amounts of awesome cutscenes and finely crafted level design). The open world felt so barren and the missions were so repetitive (literally rescue someone 3 times in a row? Come on!) that I just felt nothing at the end. Nevermind that Kiefer Sutherland was practically a mute. Ah well.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
This gen...

MGSV ln regards to the story. The gameplay however was pretty fulfilling imo.

FF15. Unfulfilling in all aspects. Legit didn't even feel complete...because it wasn't.

BOTW. Woefully unfulfilling sense of exploration since the rewards for doing so felt meagre. And since that was the core of the experience it all felt pretty underwhelming to me.

RDR2. An open world that has a story that locks you into repetitive gameplay loops that you can't deviate from litterally from start to end. Not once we're you given any sort of freedom to tackle a situation how you wanted despite being given plenty of tools to make it achievable. A perfect example of a controlled narrative damaging the hell out of gameplay. So unfulfilling.

AllMight1

Oct 27, 2017
Rdr2, there's some stuff there. But left me with an awful feeling, not playing Rockstar games in a decade

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
Agreed on some other mentions (BOTW, Dark Souls 3, Astral Chain, Anthem, Mass Effect: Andromeda, Nier; automata).

A recent one for me was Fire Emblem: three houses. I will never understand why that game gets a pass for the truly terrible 'school' sections where you run around a boring environment doing fetch quests. I hated the pandering bs story/writing as well.

I still am interested in a lot of different genres and games, but if a time comes where i am no longer having fun with a particular title, i'll simply drop it and move on to something else.

Nov 2, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Horizon Zero Dawn. I literally played it till the end where I got the point of no return message in the story....and I realized that I had played the entire game and just never had any fun or entertainment, so I just turned it off and never went back.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Alien vs Predator 2010.
A huge step backwards for the games, especially after '98 and 2 had basically perfected it. The restrictions on everything, especially the alien's ability to crawl on any surface at any time was just a waste. sound and graphics also felt like such a let down

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne.

Only reason I finished this nightmare is because a friend bet me to do it.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Red dead redemption 2 and it's not even close. I just had to see the end. I'm usually good at putting down something I don't like but I had convinced myself things were going to get better. It did not get better.

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
PS3 Skyrim.

Great game but I didn't know how I tolerated all the flaws in this version.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls 3

It was such a safe and hollow experience

People like to shit on DS2 but at least it was trying to be creative and new

DS3 is where creativity in the series died and honestly Im glad were done with it if it made way for a game like Sekiro

badboy78660

Oct 27, 2017
Also, Mario Odyssey postgame for me. All those extra moons (which I acknowledge are optional of course)...almost a chore trying to collect them all (which I never did btw). Felt like the game was designed around them all, which was off-putting. A shame because I actually enjoyed the game when playing through it normally at a casual pace.

Oct 25, 2017
MGSV by far

Not only was the game literally the end of a franchise but there was this numbness when i realized that this game that i had spent 120hrs unlocking everything possible to see if there was anything I missed was essentially inconsequential to the story.

wollywinka

Feb 15, 2018
Bulletstorm. I felt so pissed off at the ending of that game that I still mention it whenever a thread like this comes up. It's like the last 10% of that game was created to systematically destroy any enjoyment I was getting out of Bulletstorm. Here's the last villain of the game, he's gonna talk shit at you for a good let's say hour, oh wait, you caught him, actually whoops, looks like he got away because he was able to swat the gun out of your stupid character's hands. Also he's gonna manage to get away at least 2 more times and you don't even get to kill him at the end.

So stay tuned for the sequel folks! It's totally definitely happening sometime soon probably. Hell yeah!

Bulletstorm was one of my favourite games of the last generation, but yeah, that ending kinda sucked. I think they were setting things up for the sequel, but then the sales figures happened. Lol.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
MGSV - gameplay was great but everything else was just.. bad.

DS3 - it was a good game in general, but felt very lacking as a Souls game.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Read this title as feeling unfulfilled after finishing it, not just "I didn't like this game..."

So on that note, despite absolutely loving the game... BOTW's ending was disappointing. Hyrule Castle was too simple to get through as a final dungeon and the final boss is possibly the worst boss fight I can think of. Still, love the game.

Also, RDR2 I also loved and I thought the ending of the main game was so perfect that it made the epilogue feel unfulfilling.

OP
OP
banshee150

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I think for me its FFXV as well. Why was this game even released? It should have been cancelled because of the state it was in that was of an unacceptably low quality.