• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
A game that you somehow ended up finishing but felt icky afterwards. Like, why did I play it or why did I waste time finishing it. A game that wasn't even a guilty pleasure.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Metal Gear Solid V.

It gave me something worse then not liking a game and that's giving me just an empty feeling, it just ended suddenly and I was left with a void.

Meliodas

Apr 7, 2019
COD Ghosts, that game is straight up GARBAGE. I don't know what was I thinking when I decided to buy it.

waffleman

Oct 27, 2017
Thumper. Played it in VR too. I wanted to play it all the way through to see if anything clicked but by then end nothing happened. It's a rhythm game in the sense of geometry dash, where you constantly die and restart progress over a small area. It's not bad, it's just not the style of rhythm game I like.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Shadow of Mordor. It was reasonably fun at the start and soon it became "eh, guess I can at least finish it". Did nothing for me, yet I bought Shadow of war, that remains fired up just once.

genjiZERO

Banned
Jan 27, 2019
Richmond
Final Fantasy 12.

Poured maybe 100 hours into it, got to the final dungeon and realized the story was never going to play out in any satisfying way. Made me hate what was up to that point a really solid game.

monmagman

Dec 6, 2018
England,UK
Mass Effect Andromeda....love the universe....played the game 100hrs and did virtually everything....gave it every chance to impress me.The combat was good but everything else was pretty poor and the quest design was the the worst I've seen in a big AAA game.

Dec 6, 2017
US
Dark Souls 3

It's objectively a great game but the greatest-hits feel, massive Bloodborne influence when I had just played like 200 hours of that, asset reuse etc. were just too much for me and it left me so cold I didn't even end up beating it and just gave up.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I would've nominated Fallout 76, but I never "finished" it because it never had an objective.

BurstLayer

Feb 6, 2019
Metal Gear Solid V. I felt completely lost in bad sense. I was questioning why I spent all my time going through the 2nd act.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny and Destiny 2. Such unsatisfying janky messes that end too quickly and reward the player with nothing for their effort.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
The Town of Light: I'm not into walking simulators, but this one started to gross me out. I felt awful for the real torture people endured in mental institutions and had to uninstall it.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Breath of the Wild. I played it about a year after it was released, and after all the effuse praise, I found it conceptually interesting with well-excecuted mechanics (weapon degradation notwithstanding), but all in service of an absolutely hollow world that outlived its interest after about fifteen hours.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Starlink. I don't think I've ever played a game that, despite being fine gameplay wise, was just so devoid of any interesting content as this one was.

GildedMango

Feb 6, 2018
Final Fantasy XV

I didn't know anything about the game pre-title change, nor did I watch the movie or anime (still haven't) so I feel like I still don't know the significance of anything that happened.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Albert Odyssey on the Sega Saturn. Such a meaningless, basic, uninspired game that is completely undeserving of its reputation. Its 16-bit origins are clear, but even on Super Nintendo this would have been a mediocre game. From a design standpoint the game is very fascinating because it's like the designers set out intentionally to make the blandest game possible and I would love to know why.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Bayonetta, wanted to see what made people at the old place liked so much so I just kept pressing on thinking that I'd eventually reach the good part. Then the game just ended.

Didn't think combat was particulary fun and thought it was too sexualized.

sanstesy

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Demon's Souls - played through the game on and off for 6 months and when I finished it I couldn't have felt more apathetic.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Botw . I should have ended the game at the 80 hour mark ( when I basically finished all the dungeons and some shrines, ) that was fun ... but no I had to go out my way and explore every area, do all quests and finish all the shrines.. ( cause I loved the previous Zelda games and usually 100% most of them while having a blast doing so ) but ...Botw was different, it was unfun...i did everything except the Koroks which I didn't care about, which equaled 140 hours total which at that point I felt really meh meh meh about the game (at that point all I did was Fast travel a lot which = nothing but loading screenss so much loading screens and everything started looking like copy and paste job ie the rewards, the weapons, the environments they all started looking same -y and boring ) I then decided to go fight Ganon cause the game was becoming boring and to my shock the final boss was a huge dissappointing blegg....it being really really boring fighting a weak ganon / especially his final form .it was not even very interactive was a joke and was lameeee as hell not to mention the ending to the game being so empty and hollow with not much epilogue to the other characters and no special ending Credits music I was pissed and..yeah I was just feeling so empty and bored.

Kinda hated the game until the dlc came out which made me appreciate the game again for things it did right more so than when I first finished it originally

Skyward sword / twilight princess ending / final boss battle were so much better than Botw, those even had amazing orchestrated ending songs too which Botw just... recycled it's music in T_T

Last edited:

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
Oh, most recently Bravely Default.

Part because it's almost certainly a great game, its so nicely made... but... I fell right for its bad pacing/structure issues and I feel sort of bad that I don't think I had as good an experience with it as I really should've.
First of all, cause it was a 3DS RPG I decided i'd play it before bed, so i'd usually pick it up at like 11pm and id get through about 2 random battles before I felt too sleepy to continue.
(Bravely) Secondly, I initially insisted on doing all the sidequests but I didn't know how long they're available for so i'd end up attempting to do all these late game ultra hard grindy sidequests that were actually repeats of boss battles (in between doing repeats of boss battles that you have to do anyway!) and I'd get like halfway through a set of them and because id got so far, sunk cost fallacy set in and I wanted to grind away to finish what i started before I finished the game cause i'd definitely put it down forever.
Thirdly, I foolishly think all RPGs are more fun and engaging when you constantly switch up classes/partymembers/whatever every single expedition. So I spent a lottt of time in the menus and generally didn't minmax the classes enough to have an easier time.
Fffforthly, yes I got the true good special secret ending which in retrospect is probably meant for second playthroughs and obsessive completionists. That boss sure does GO ON A BIT. And it took me so many tries. I wanna cry ;_;

So yeah it took me about 6 months to beat the damn thing and even though i really like the class system, the music, the art, the bold concept (in theory), the character development... I just really mostly wanted to see the back of it.

Boddy

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF13.
At least it taught me a import leason about dropping bad games asap.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Halo 3's campaign. It was the dullest most unrewarding game I've played to the end. It seemed like it might get exciting a couple times but never got there.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
06ac38dbd3c02aab107ccbfc400557670091e9d7.jpg

Don't even know why I bought it.

LSauchelli

Oct 25, 2017
I remember finishing Jurassic Park for the SNES and feeling empty that I only got a "Congratulaitons!" screen and little else.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Most recent example would be Rage 2.

What a colossal waste of time that game was. I think I enjoyed maybe half an hour of my 10 hours with it.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Zero Time Dilemma. I was really excited for the third Zero Escape game, and it ultimately left me with a void I can't really fulfill anymore. One of Diana's endings had me hoping it would end up being really good in the end but the big twist felt like a huge asspull in comparison to the ones from 999 and VLR, which served to illuminate the whole game. ZTD also felt generally incoherent and inconsistent (especially in regards to the pseudo-science they used, unlike in 999/VLR where it at least seemed to stick to general rules), and the post-game files were basically just awful fan fiction.

ZTD soured my opinion on the Zero Escape series as a whole, though I still think that 999 in particular is fantastic when regarded solely as its own thing.

dpanim

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Exodus. What a piece of shit that game was. It's been a long while since my disappointment in a game has reached that level.