• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 31, 2017
I see a lot of Diddy Kong Racing in this thread, but I always thought it was accepted that it was basically the best kart racer on N64 or at least equal to Mario Kart 64. Definitely a game in my N64 top 10.

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017

55534_front.jpg

THIS.

Never got far in Goemon's Great Adventure though. But Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon is easily my fave N64 game.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
This thread is making me want to hook my N64 back up. I'm pretty sure I lost me Memory Pak somehow though so I will need to get a new one. Any recommendations on what to buy that won't crap out like all the 3rd party ones used to?

Coen

Oct 25, 2017
Antwerp, Belgium
Some of my favorites are already mentioned, like Forsaken, the Nintendo developed (!) and published Ridge Racer 64, Excite Bike 64 and Wetrix.

I'd also like to add Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine. I truly feel this is Factor 5's crowning achievement and it's a terrible shame the release wat butchered (I think it could only be bought from Lucas Arts directly and it did not even release in Europe). It's a slow game, somewhat of a blend between Ocarina of Time and Tomb Raider, set across multiple huge environments, focused on puzzle solving, platforming and combat. It also looked and sounded amazing, with a solid framerate to boot. Surprisingly high res textures, copious amounts of voice acting and even some real time lightning, which at the time was unheard of. It's kind of a miracle game, to be honest.

Another game I have to mention is Shadowman. What it lacks in polish it makes up in style and mood. Its certainly not a perfect game, might not even be considered a great one, but a lot can be forgiven if you enjoy moody games.

Lastly, I'll give a shout out to Rayman 2. I'm not sure if it even fits the criteria of this topic, but it deserves to be mentioned among the greatest on the systen. People regularly discuss if they prefer Banjo or Mario, but I always answer Rayman 2. Its a more streamlined experience, less focused on exploration and collection. It reminds me somewhat of Mario Galaxy in that way.

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
I know it has become bit of a meme game later on but I genuinely enjoyed Buck Bumble back in the day.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mischief Makers is so famous these days I'm not sure it counts as "underrated" since everybody rates it highly.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Maybe it's not underrated, but:

Episode 1 Pod Racer

latest

I spent a lot of time racing this solo, beating times, trying to unlock racers and pilots. It was a pack-in with my n64 and I ended up spending as much time with it as any other game. It did recently get ported to Switch, so that helps with getting more eyes and hands on it.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Castlevania 64.

Castlevania-64-retro-Reviews-1024x576.jpg

Still the best 3D Castlevania by far, which is ludicrous.

NOT Legacy of Darkness, which I feel is the slightly weaker game as it has worse music and a worse version of the best quests (Reinhardt and Carrie).

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Mystical Ninja is a fucking masterpiece 10/10.

It should be on the greatest games of all time list with Ocarina.

The second one was good but I'm talking about the epic adventure you embark on in the first one.
Couldn't agree more. The first Goemon 64 is a real gem, and such a unique game. There was something really magical in these goofy 'open worldish' games back then, like Goemon 64 and Brave Fencer Musashi. Ocarina of Time is a different beast, but I feel like future generations have expanded on some of its core concepts, especially subsequent Zelda games.

Goemon 64 is kind a relic of the past now, there are no similar experiences nowadays. Some games such as Wonderful 101 reminds me a bit when it comes to being eccentric, but still have a very different style. I wonder if someone will ever tackle an eccentric immersive 3D pseudo-open world adventure game with hula hooping demons in underwear.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yall on this Castlevania 64 train are insane. It controls horribly, graphics are shit and the level design is horrendous. Was it a rental weekend when you were a child? Its not Quest 64 sewer level, but its fucking bad.

Now, Goemon, Mischief Makers, Episode 1 Racer and Space Station Silicon Valley are still worth playing now.

For underated n64 tiles, I think Rush 2049 and Gauntlet Legends multiplayer were some fun times. Doubt it holds up.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I know, the 95 score reviews are from launch in 2000. I was 16 when it came out...it was never considered bad ever.
Majora might have reviewed well (and I don't really think it fits this thread), but the reception in general seemed pretty lukewarm at the time, as the Zelda cycle often plays out. Some people really hated that it was basically a side story (no Ganon or Zelda or Hyrule) and not a direct Ocarina sequel after Ocarina's borderline cliffhanger of an ending left them wanting more. These days, I think we can all agree that the usual Triforce/Hyrule storyline is a bit played out and may not mind as much if the plot branches off to something else for a change.

Me personally? At the time, I thought that the reuse of all of the NPC models from Ocarina with the in-universe excuse that they're entirely distinct characters from a parallel world was an absolutely shameless instance of content rehashing, and it really soured my first impression of the game. It doesn't come across as nearly as much of a negative to me now when I can acknowledge that this was a borderline necessity due to the insanely short development time though.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
I had a bunch of fun with Sarge's Heroes as a kid.

Also, our blockbuster had a copy of a japanese baseball game that we picked up on occasion, I can't recall what it was called but it made my dad laugh so hard he could barely breathe, so its one of my all time favorites, lol.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I know Bomberman 64 is regarded well, but not only is its sequel The Second Attack underrated, but it's also greatly overlooked. Unfortunately, the game fetches for a lot money now, as it's quite rare. Stupid me sold my copy and misses it. :/

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017

Mystical Ninja was great. Unfortunately it was one of the few early N64 games that required a memory card. I would rent this game a few times not being able to save. Then I finally got a memory card, pretty much for this game, but it was a cheap 3rd party one and my data got corrupted often. I always wanted to finish this game but because of the memory card fiasco I sadly never did.

I always thought the N64 requiring memory cards for games was a bunch of BullSh*t.

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
BattleTanx_-_Global_Assault.jpg

BattleTanX Global Assault

Huge improvement on the first, which is pretty fun in its own right. Great multiplayer. Battle Tanx was a lot of fun and gets rather little recognition.

sox

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of great suggestions. I'll chuck in Rush 2 and specifically it's Stunt track. Has a simple physics playground that's fun to tool around in.

Also recommend the podcast Ultra 64 which played through every game on the system and ranked them.

arlu

Nov 1, 2017
Venezuela
Harvest-Moon-64

The series never again recapture the charm and warm of this title.

137d590f12.jpg

I think KI64 made less of an impact than its SNES predecessor, but it was not a bad game.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
Who can forget the chest burster gun and the inflator one, it's fun with bot support too.
Ragewarsbox.jpg

I remember the puzzles in this game to be pretty good and nice mix of tough but not too tough.
Lode_Runner_3-D_Coverart.png

This game is just stupid fun, I played it with my friends a few months ago still fun to abuse the ranged attacks and get pissed at each other.
Bio_F.R.E.A.K.S._Coverart.png

Another fighter which I thought was better then the reviews, I found the combos to be satisfying and the game just hard enough.
n64_dark_rift_p_mec8ki.jpg

Last edited:

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
Good suggestions in here. I would say

n64_beetle_adventure_racing_p_om1hy2.jpg

Awesome little game that you don't hear much about.
I've been breaking in my N64 RGB mod with this game, since it has graphical issues on most emulators, and I'm blown away by how well it holds up. The course design is truly in its own class, I'm surprised other games never cribbed from it.

I'd still pick DKR as most underrated, simply because of how unfairly it was overshadowed by MK64.

Lilyth

Sep 13, 2019
Star Wars Rogue Squadron.

Hard as nails to the point of being unfair, but very memorable and unique on the console.

Also, it made the Buick canon.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Yall on this Castlevania 64 train are insane. It controls horribly, graphics are shit and the level design is horrendous. Was it a rental weekend when you were a child?
Opinions, what are those?

I've played it through a dozen times. Best 3D Castlevania ever made. An innovative, atmospheric grand adventure with a better story than any Igarashi joint.

ethelred

Oct 28, 2017
I don't know if it's the most underrated, but Ogre Battle 64 is my favorite N64 game (by quite some measure) and it's one that doesn't get talked about that much.

I'd love to see the whole franchise get rereleased for modern audiences. Tactics Ogre got the spectacular remake for the PSP (which was also playable on the Vita), but nothing's happened with Ogre Battle or Ogre Battle 64 since their Wii and Wii U Virtual Console releases. OB64 is timeless; great story, graphics, music, and gameplay (which nicely refined on the mechanics of the original), so I think it'd appeal to a lot of people if they got the chance to appreciate it.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017
Robotron64.jpg

this is a game that'll still be fun 50 years from now
Nice pick, simple but addictive gameplay.

Lastly, I'll give a shout out to Rayman 2. I'm not sure if it even fits the criteria of this topic, but it deserves to be mentioned among the greatest on the systen. People regularly discuss if they prefer Banjo or Mario, but I always answer Rayman 2. Its a more streamlined experience, less focused on exploration and collection. It reminds me somewhat of Mario Galaxy in that way.
More than Rayman 2 which was/is universally praised even if overshadowed on N64 by other first-party platform games it's another Ubisoft published platform game which I consider the most underrated in the genre on n64: Rocket: Robot on Wheels.
It was the first game by Sucker Punch.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Mace The Dark Age: one of the best looking n64 games and it was pretty fun to play

jmVa4jN.jpg

Offroad Challenge: made with the same engine as Cruisn USA. I really enjoyed this game

E9cpLnb.jpg

MRC Multi Racing Championship: I never hear anybody talking about this game. It was like the early N64 Ridge Racer

dh4YVgJ.jpg

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Beetle Adventure Racing was a complete surprise, what a fun game.

Space Station Silicon Valley was also a lot of fun. Very original game.

Came here to see Beetle Adventure Racing. Say what you will about the driving mechanics but this game legitimately has some of the best level design I have ever seen in a racing game, I love the way all the different routes intersect.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see a lot of votes for Goemon 64 and Mischief Makers in here. Both games are absolute classics.

GattsuSama

Mar 12, 2020
In those eras there were too many underrated game because either it got some brief coverage in a magazine or you went in blind based on a cool cover.

For me in the 64 era, Mystical Ninja was the biggest surprise. I did love Mischief Makers but I recall the purchase of it feeling like a waste. Like I paid too much for it for what it was, same as I felt for Yoshi Story.

I think it was because lateSNES/earlyN64 was when games started becoming longer and not just mostly one and done experiences so a game like Yoshi story felt like a scam after Yoshi's Island.