• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Flex1212

Jul 12, 2019
il_794xN.2446584399_ohut.jpg

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Mario Kart 64

It's usually near the bottom of MK tier lists, but it's really one of the better. It's game play is more momentum based (very few boost pads, unlike MK8 where they're everywhere) and the physics allowing you to jump walls and take risky unintended shortcuts led to very dynamic races.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Rocket: Robot on Wheels, made by Sucker Punch
Yup!
I know Snow Board Kids 1/2 come up a decent amount now because they are kind of valuable, but at the time no one ever really seemed to talk about them. I loved them both though and they were a big mainstay for my friends and I in multiplayer, probably longer than Mario Kart was. Chameleon Twist was another game that never used to really get talked about (probably because it is mediocre at best) but the multiplayer was stupid fun, even if half the fun was fighting over who got to be Fred.
Possibly my favorite 64 games.
Definitely!

I'm also throwing in Iggy's Wreckin Balls lol, not the best game ever but super underrated.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Doom 64 is one that I'm not sure has been mentioned yet. It seems most people overlook it thinking it is just a port of the original Doom when it's actually the true sequel to Doom II in my opinion.

I'm also going to give some shout outs to Rocket Robot on Wheels, Space Station, Indiana Jones Infernal Machine, Chameleon Twist, Flying Dragon, and Star Soldier off the top of my head.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Kind of a long forgotten game because it came out at the end off the N64 cycle is Body Harvest, by DMA design, who would go onto make GTAIII a couple years later.

I don't know if it's under-rated, but maybe under-appreciated based on what Rockstar would go on to do, and you can see a lot of the DNA of GTA in Body Harvest

vermadas

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was gonna mention this. The stunt course alone was enough. Did you ever play 2049? I put so many hours into that game.

I played the N64 version of 2049, but I couldn't get into it as much as Rush 2. It didn't help that at that time, the college guys I was with did not care for racing games, so there was no split-screen stunt racing to be had. I think at that point we were all about NFL Blitz and Mario Tennis.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Underrated? Majora's Mask has been absurdly overpraised by everyone and their brother since it came out. It's probably the third most objectively wrong answer to this question behind Ocarina and Mario 64.
No, no, no, I getcha.

I really do.

Trust me.

But back then it was considered a bad Zelda game (as far as Zelda games went) and, having just came after Ocarina of Time, it didn't really "feel" like a sequel, at least not a sequel that everyone else expected...

Now: it's pretty fucking overrated.

Back then: it was "controversial" and "had that damn time-limit."

Edit: I mean, you get what I'm saying, right? We over-praise Majora's Mask to hell and back constantly in January of 2021 but back then it was an entirely different story.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
No, no, no, I getcha.

I really do.

Trust me.

But back then it was considered a bad Zelda game (as far as Zelda games went) and, having just came after Ocarina of Time, it didn't really "feel" like a sequel, at least not a sequel that everyone else expected...

Now: it's pretty fucking overrated.

Back then: it was "controversial" and "had that damn time-limit."

Edit: I mean, you get what I'm saying, right? We over-praise Majora's Mask to hell and back constantly in January of 2021 but back then it was an entirely different story.
When was it ever considered a bad zelda game lol it has a 95 metacritic (#4 of N64 ahead of Mario)

May 24, 2019
Absolutely Yoshi's Story.
It's a pretty decent and challenging game if your goal is to unlock and play through all of the levels.

When I was a kid I rented it, did one run through the #1 levels and went "that's it?" I bet that's a lot of people's experience.

Last edited:

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
what I know, the reviews are from launch. I was 16 when it came out...it was never considered bad ever.
No, no, I mean in the sense that it wasn't held in high regard compared to other Zelda games. I still remember the community not particularly caring for it that much. Not that they didn't like it; they absolutely did.

Sorry, I didn't mean that it was literally bad, just that compared to other Zelda games, it was bad in that sense. Now everyone has played it. But before there were those that didn't even know that Ocarina of Time got a sequel.

I mean in the past and in the Zelda community which, to be frank, is a pretty toxic community last I checked so I could be looking at it from that lens.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as arrogant or anything, I'm just going by what I remember. 😓

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I know Snow Board Kids 1/2 come up a decent amount now because they are kind of valuable, but at the time no one ever really seemed to talk about them. I loved them both though and they were a big mainstay for my friends and I in multiplayer, probably longer than Mario Kart was. Chameleon Twist was another game that never used to really get talked about (probably because it is mediocre at best) but the multiplayer was stupid fun, even if half the fun was fighting over who got to be Fred.

Snowboard Kids is legit amazing and I've very nearly made a thread on it before.

I've played quite a lot recently (my Japanese copy is actually called Snowbow Kids) and I still love it. The little ski lift mechanic to start a new lap is so great. Love that it can get congested and you have to wait your turn. Can get manic.

SneakyBadger

Oct 26, 2017
220px-Hybridheaven.jpg

Hybrid Heaven. I admit I haven't played the game since I was a kid, but I remember enjoying it despite it getting some seriously mixed reception from the gaming media.

dyelawn91

Jan 16, 2018
No, no, I mean in the sense that it wasn't held in high regard compared to other Zelda games. I still remember the community not particularly caring for it that much. Not that they didn't like it; they absolutely did.

Sorry, I didn't mean that it was literally bad, just that compared to other Zelda games, it was bad in that sense. Now everyone has played it. But before there were those that didn't even know that Ocarina of Time got a sequel.

I mean in the past and in the Zelda community which, to be frank, is a pretty toxic community last I checked so I could be looking at it from that lens.

Sorry, I don't mean to come off as arrogant or anything, I'm just going by what I remember. 😓
I also remember the game being considered divisive back in the day. I was fairly young but I remember going online and being shocked by how much some people seemed to hate Majora's Mask.

tata toothy

Dec 24, 2017
The Aki wrestling games probably got ignored by too many non-wrestling fans who didn't give them a chance because of wrestling's trashy and embarassing reputation. They are legit multiplayer masterpieces.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Jet motherfucking Force Gemini

Shouts out to Rocket and Episode I Racer for having that kick ass double controller control scheme.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
damn are you me? I also played the hell out of Stunt mode in college with my friends. The holy grail was to get 1000pts in one round. Took me so long but I finally did it. I still occasionally play a round of stunt for old times sake

Really surprised no one has recreated some type of stunt mode in the modern era. I think it would do really well.

Top choices for me:
  1. Bomberman 64
  2. Chameleon Twist
  3. Excitebike 64
  4. Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA or San Francisco Rush 2049
  5. Snowboard Kids

poplin

Feb 5, 2019
Good suggestions in here. I would say

n64_beetle_adventure_racing_p_om1hy2.jpg

Awesome little game that you don't hear much about.
Dude yes! was going to post this, most other games in this thread are pretty well know classics, but BAR was one of those games that was not only excellent, but really came out of nowhere. would love an HD port.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's going to depend where you were. Majora's Mask was really, really loved back then. I don't remember really any dislike for it at the time. Outside of the dislike you get for any game, really.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Beetle Adventure Racing was a complete surprise, what a fun game.

Space Station Silicon Valley was also a lot of fun. Very original game.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Parents rented this for me once and glad they did, because I never would've heard of it otherwise. Turning into different animals on different planets? Great fun! Wish I had it longer than just the 1 night... But not many ever really talk about it.

Silicon_Valley_Artwork.jpg

Oh yeah. I still am upset about that one golden chip or whatever the collectible was that is unobtainable :(

Top Tier rockstar

tycoonheart

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Jet Force Gemini really well received when it was released? I remember there being some hype for the game before release.