• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
This system has so many hidden gems that are barely ever talked about because they're overshadowed by some of the biggest classics in gaming

For me my Favorite N64 games were Bomberman Heroes and Pokemon Stadium 2, and those are 2 games I barely ever see any praise for

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Virtual Pro-Wrestling 2.

It's an obscure game in a niche genre that's overshadowed by the more accessible WWF No Mercy.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
easily Hybrid Heaven

still have fond memories of learning the sharpshooter from a giant anthropomorphic horse thing

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Can't believe the first post in the thread got it right. It's Mischief Makers. Shake, Shake.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sin & Punishment. It was well received but I still think it's the most underrated given that as it's one of the best shooters ever made, and often gets denied spots on top lists because it only came out in Japan (before Virtual Console) and sold poorly.

Screw Mischief Makers. "Shake, shake" is so tedious.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I need to go back and finish hybrid Heaven. But out of what I've beaten, mischief makers

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Parents rented this for me once and glad they did, because I never would've heard of it otherwise. Turning into different animals on different planets? Great fun! Wish I had it longer than just the 1 night... But not many ever really talk about it.

Silicon_Valley_Artwork.jpg

Corncob

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Parents rented this for me once and glad they did, because I never would've heard of it otherwise. Turning into different animals on different planets? Great fun! Wish I had it longer than just the 1 night... But not many ever really talk about it.

Yeah this was dope.

Snowboard Kids too. Would love a remake on Switch.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I know Snow Board Kids 1/2 come up a decent amount now because they are kind of valuable, but at the time no one ever really seemed to talk about them. I loved them both though and they were a big mainstay for my friends and I in multiplayer, probably longer than Mario Kart was. Chameleon Twist was another game that never used to really get talked about (probably because it is mediocre at best) but the multiplayer was stupid fun, even if half the fun was fighting over who got to be Fred.

AppleKid

Feb 21, 2018

This game was incredible and is barely talked about. Soundtrack was on point too

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I would echo a few posted already but one that nobody has said yet is Fighters Destiny. It wasn't just about depleting the opponents health bar, it had a quite unique scoring system and it was super playable.

Deleted member 79517

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 31, 2020

I was going to say this! A friend of mine rented it, and when I saw the core mechanic I made my parents take me out to go rent it, too. It was interesting to play this and later realize some of these folks would go on to make GTA III. There are at least some parallels between the two that make this game seem a little more significant.

The other games that come to mind are Snowboard Kids 1 and 2. We rented the first game when we got our N64, adored it, then bought the sequel immediately after it came out. It had a great aesthetic and a lot of fun boss battles for the time.

Jan 4, 2018
Jet Force Gemini. A really great game from Rare yet often overshadowed between Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo, Conker...

c7cynpp1.jpg

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I'd love a Jet Force Gemini remake with improved controls.

Top Gear Overdrive was underrated for me. A good looking racer on the N64.

Also, Winback.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Tbh seems like a broken topic if people are already mentioning Nintendo and Rare titles, lol. A lot of the typical N64 titles being mentioned.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
For some reason the "shake shake" animation popped into my head when I saw the thread, and I've never played or even seen gameplay of Mischief Makers. I guess I just remember seeing that little bit embedded in other unrelated youtube videos (I think it was a MLiG video, lol).
I LOVED the Mission Impossible game. I don't understand the negative reviews at all.
I remember digging it. I rented it a fair few times. I can only remember the first mission for some reason, though.
64box.jpg

Castlevania 64.

Watched Dark1x DF Retro vid on it, it really ain't that bad
I remember really liking this when it came out. I don't know how I'd feel about it if I played it now, though.

I still want to try out that "redo" of this. Erm... "Legacy of Darkness?" not sure if I'm confusing that title with something else

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to say this! A friend of mine rented it, and when I saw the core mechanic I made my parents take me out to go rent it, too. It was interesting to play this and later realize some of these folks would go on to make GTA III. There are at least some parallels between the two that make this game seem a little more significant.

Yeah that was weird too, when I first looked up about this game online years ago, to find out who made it. Such a shift going from such a kid-friendly Rare-like game, to GTA :p

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Bomberman Hero is amazing! I love that game so much.

I'm going to go with Hybrid Heaven. That was a cool, dark turn-based RPG where you did wrestling moves like suplexes to take down aliens living under the city.
Hybrid Heaven was an RPG? O.o I never played it, but I thought it was like a MGS clone.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought Ogre Battle 64. It's just as good as Tactics Ogre or Final Fantasy Tactics.