• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
And can the design still be used today?

I feel like most modern controllers feel flimsy or rather flimsier than I remember. I guess my pick would be the ps2 Dual shock 2 as I still have one lying around and it still feels like I can kill a man with it. As for the design... I can't say its comfy to hold but it has buttons and whatnot so I guess.

Kiro

Oct 27, 2017
Ottawa, Canada
The SNES controller.

It literally will not break and works just as well as it did almost thirty years ago. Drop that controller on bricks, it won't even matter.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
I know what you mean about the "flimsy feel," but the new Series X controller feels very, very solid.

to answer your question though, switch has official 2001 GameCube controller support; and if you ever watched a smash tourney, you'll know they can take an absolute beating.

the joystick/analogue stick is always going to be the weakest link of any modern controller.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Wii mote. Yes you can bludgeon someone to death with the "Duke" but the number of times I or friends told stories about accidentally whipping those around the house hard (cuz we didn't use the wrist strap) and having them still work is high.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Almost any Nintendo controller that isn't the N64 controller or Switch joycons.

Does the Game Boy count as a controller?

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
And can the design still be used today?

I feel like most modern controllers feel flimsy or rather flimsier than I remember. I guess my pick would be the ps2 Dual shock 2 as I still have one lying around and it still feels like I can kill a man with it. As for the design... I can't say its comfy to hold but it has buttons and whatnot so I guess.
Really? I always had the shoulder buttons become busted on those things.

OP
OP
Kyra

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Almost any Nintendo controller that isn't the N64 controller or Switch joycons.

Does the Game Boy count as a controller?
11274146.jpg

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the pre-xbox microsoft controllers were nigh indestructible.
41NTK2AVX5L._AC_SS350_.jpg

Had this back in the day, and pretty sure it still works. Ironically it is one of the most form fitting and comfortable controllers I have ever used.

Xbox controllers always felt so meh in how they fit your hand.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
I say N64 controller (outside of the joystick). My brother would have tantrums whenever he'd lose in goldeneye and use the controllers like a flail, smashing them on the walls and table trying to attack me. They all work fine still despite it happening a lot. He literally put holes in the drywall.

Only Mario party fucked up the joysticks. They still work but are a bit floppy, I wonder if they would have held up if Mario Party didn't exist. Though to be fair even the human hand isn't resilient to the power of Mario Party as anyone with the stigmata knows.

I would have said SNES but mine are quite mushy feeling now. They were also used as flails though.

If the OG gameboy counts I also say that. I've literally chucked mine straight down on the pavement by accident more times than I can count and it still works great. Just the screen glass fell off and a few small dents.

Last edited:

Mazzo

Oct 27, 2017
Brazil
My gamecube controllers are still in good condition well after the gamecube generation and then 3 smash games for other consoles.

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
I know what you mean about the "flimsy feel," but the new Series X controller feels very, very solid.

My friend has one and the plastic makes a creaky sound when squeezed, same as my One X controller. I really like it (the new texture on the grips is great and the d-pad is awesome) and will get one, but I hoped it was more solid this gen. Maybe it's just bad luck, but it didn't feel very, very solid to me. :(

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
A couple of years ago I bought another DS4 to use with my Playstation TV and the difference in quality to the one I got with the console in around 2015 was noticeable. Lighter, more creaky and generally felt less solid.

Wavebird is nice and solid. My first-gen Xbox Elite has taken a few drops to the floor and survived. Steam controller also feels nice and robust.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Dreamcast controllers. Indestructible. Not the most comfortable mind you.

After that saturn

You my friend didn't play enough crazy taxi on DC. I broke half a dozen controllers right triggers with that game (flimsy plastic notch breaking, gear up + full throttle move to get a boost start)... unless you were talking about the arcade controllers of course, or you enjoyed a more sturdy international revision...

415YC2FF2XL._AC_.jpg

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
The Xbox Elite V2 has this nice feeling heft to it that I adore. It just feels solid.

It's the perfect controller, it's a shame that it has the quality issues with the A button and bumpers.

woxxi

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say nes controller without sticks and gamecube controller with sticks. N64 controllers are the worst because of the plastic gears wearing inside the stick.

Dec 21, 2020
I guess gameboy deserves a half mention, shit is made of that elusive "nintendium"

Launch it across the universe faster than the speed of light and it would still play fine. No serious issues whatsoever, other than the trail of probably destruction it left behind.. I digress.

Doesn't help that it looks like a brick mind you. I think they designed it like that in case you were getting mugged back then, you can just hit them with it and knock them out. It is a portable game system that is also somehow indestructible and a self defense weapon!

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Had this back in the day, and pretty sure it still works. Ironically it is one of the most form fitting and comfortable controllers I have ever used.

I still have this exact controller and yes it does still work for me too! Didnt think i'd see this controller mentioned ever again.

Though to answer this thread properly, i think the Pokken HORI Pad is pretty solidly built, hasnt gone wrong for me since i got the controller at all. though it isnt quite as old as some controllers in this thread so time will tell.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
You my friend didn't play enough crazy taxi on DC. I broke half a dozen controllers right triggers with that game (flimsy plastic notch breaking, gear up + full throttle move to get a boost start)... unless you were talking about the arcade controllers of course, or you enjoyed a more sturdy international revision...

415YC2FF2XL._AC_.jpg
I admit I didn't. Wasn't a fan of the game

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
htc-vive-controller-grip.jpg

The Vive wands

I have a big dent in the metal corner of one of my walls. The only damage to the Vive wand is a little bit of wall paint that's stuck to it

Brandson

Oct 26, 2017
All my original NES and SNES gamepads still work great.

The oldest controller I have that kept working when its contemporaries failed was this beauty, the Wico Command Control Bat for C64:

iu

My brother and I got so much use out of that. All our other C64 controllers kept breaking, but this one lasted forever.

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017

I refuse to believe a single soul found the d-pads (and even buttons) usable. I bought a few MS pads out of curiosity and brand expectations and they were lessons in the state of PC vs console struggles.

Have one of these back at my parents house, last time I checked it still works perfectly but you need an adapter to go from RS232 to USB.
s-l400.jpg

The dial on the side and the front lets you adjust the calibration on the fly.
You're redeemed. This lasted me for countless sessions of competitive Descent over Kali and Dwango.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017

After that saturn
I disagree on the Dreamcast controller. Everyone I ever owned had the triggers go straight to shit.

on a personal note, the only time I ever lost my cool and tossed a controller was playing one of the OG XBox Mortal Kombat games and I swung the controller around by the cord and smashed it into my tile flooring.

It didn't even scratch the controller. That was the S controller, not the Duke.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
My old snes and nes controllers took such a beating when I was growing up with my cousins. Full on meltdowns and throwing them against the wall and on the floor by us at times. They still worked lol

slothrop

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 28, 2019
USA
probably some actual arcade machine's setup -- these are designed for constant rough use by different people. best durability is not necessary the best overall

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX

After that saturn
I love Dreamcast, but I have to disagree. That controller was my first experience with analog stick drift
Wii mote. Yes you can bludgeon someone to death with the "Duke" but the number of times I or friends told stories about accidentally whipping those around the house hard (cuz we didn't use the wrist strap) and having them still work is high.
I think Wiimote is low key the best answer. Complex controller, but no analog sticks/triggers makes it sturdy. Very durable design (and I'm sure those with broken TV screens can attest)

Cats

Oct 27, 2017
Anything with simple rubber dimple contacts is going to win out, so an older controller like the NES would have the best chance of being durable. Analog sticks, analog triggers, springs, switches, ect. are all going to be the first failure points.