• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By this I mean, what is the hardware that you feel epitomizes the spirit of Nintendo as a whole the best? Basically, keeping in mind the kind of philosophy and paradigm Nintendo attempts to channel the most with its hardware, what single system do you think represents Nintendo the best, and why?

I'll throw my hat in the ring for this little guy:

latest

I feel like the Nintendo DS (family as a whole, but the DS Lite specifically) was the perfect embodiment of everything Nintendo strives for with its hardware in general:
  • Re-application of older technology (lateral application of withered technology)
  • Emphasis on alternate ways to interact with your games (touch screen, microphone)
  • Crazy out there gimmick (second screen)
  • Low cost (manufacturing and purchasing)
  • Aimed at an extremely broad audience
  • Backwards compatible (so squarely trying to tap into legacy content)
  • Multiplayer experiences (proto-StreetPass, local multiplayer, Download Play etc)
Honestly, I would say that the DS was Nintendo being peak-Nintendo. I think it represents everything they are, try to be, and achieve as a hardware manufacturer. It's also one of their most finely realized bits of hardware, with every element working in harmony with the others.

But what do you think was hardware that symbolized Nintendo the best? And why?

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
The N64 and Gamecube controllers easily. You look at them from an outsider's perspective like, "How in the fuck am I supposed to work this thing?!?!" but when you actually use it they become some of the most form fitting controllers you've ever used.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to go with the N64 because it was the first console they included 4 controller ports in. Playing together has been a staple of Nintendo and the N64 really drove that home. Also the controller is weirdly Nintendo.

Coconico

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
The N64 and Gamecube controllers easily. You look at them from an outsider's perspective like, "How in the fuck am I supposed to work this thing?!?!" but when you actually use it they become some of the most form fitting controllers you've ever used.

One of these things is not like the others. Although I will say, it does have a Nintendo quality to it, even if it's not the typical positive one.

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every Nintendo era has its own feel for me.

i have very fond memories with the 3DS and streetpass.
Also already mentioned 4 transparent N64 controllers playing Mario Kart 64 is Nintendo af.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The Switch. Play anywhere you want, however you want is the most Nintendo thing I can think of.

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to go with the DS. It was the most out there hardware they've ever released, and most bizarre concept, but it worked SO well.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Right now I have to give it to the Switch.

It culminates every idea they've had up until now and is trying to unify all of Nintendo's products under one banner in the widest possible way.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
The Wii and DS dual punch. DS being modeled after Game & Watch but with modern features and Wiimote being modeled after NES pad but with modern features plus Virtual Console was Nintendo at their best, looking into the future but also respecting their past.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
Honestly? I'd argue it's the purple box (the gamecube)
It's so unique in terms of design and tech, that it's hard to say any other company could have come up with this.

But all their consoles are pretty much Nintendo-like to be fair. Maybe less so for the GBA.

Mister X

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Always think about Gameboy and SNES when I hear Nintendo.

But by your thread qualifications, the DS lite is indeed their best product.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Honestly, I would say that the DS was Nintendo being peak-Nintendo. I think it represents everything they are, try to be, and achieve as a hardware manufacturer. It's also one of their most finely realized bits of hardware, with every element working in harmony with the others.

Between the DS and the Switch, I swear these guys need to be designing all their new hardware to be a "third pillar".

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Switch. It perfectly combines console and handheld in to an all-encompassing device, and puts gaming over hardware and features. Nintendo ideology at its finest.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between the DS and the Switch, I swear these guys need to be designing all their new hardware to be a "third pillar".
Ha, I've actually thought about that a lot. These guys do their best when they have their backs against the wall, don;t they?

I'm going to go with the N64 because it was the first console they included 4 controller ports in. Playing together has been a staple of Nintendo and the N64 really drove that home. Also the controller is weirdly Nintendo.
The N64 was actually probably going to be my second choice, because it seems to represent the best and worst of Nintendo at its peak alike.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I agree with the OP, the DS perfectly embodies what Nintendo is all about and it's extremely iconic. It's not a coincidence it's their most successful hardware line by far.
The Switch is a close second too, although it feels much more modern, which obviously makes sense, it's its first true successor if we only count the 3DS as an iteration to the same concept.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The Switch

Not only is it one-of-a-kind and perfectly represents Nintendo's design philosophy, but coming off of the Wii U's massive failure, it serves as a strong reminder to never count Nintendo out.

Deleted member 35598

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
It's the Super Nes.

It's the beginning of hardcore gaming as we know it today. To this day EACH of Snea games of the most important Nimtendo franchises can still be considered the BEST to this day !!! Check this list :

Super Metroid

Donkey Kong Country

The Link to the Past

Super Mario World

Yoshi's Island

Kirby Super Star

I mean that's pure greatness !

Lozjam

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Definitely this little guy:
811XAP7riPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Gameboy was absolutely baffling. It was a severely underpowered handheld console for the time, especially compared to competitors. It could not even play with color!

It was super cheap to make, and very cheap for people to buy. It's standard "bading" jingle gave it that Nintendo charm, much like Switch *snap* as well. It's games were simple, fun, and addictive as well. This is really proof that games come before power as well. It gave developers a time to wet their feet and use older techniques, making games so much cheaper to make on this little guy. It truly had a Games first mentality. And while other handhelds did things so much better than the Gameboy, the cheap price and excellent games forever carves it's legacy, while others remain forgotten.

The Gameboy truly came out of left field, and it did really fantastic, changing gaming forever.

Oct 27, 2017
Even though I think it's their worst system, I'd say the N64. The emphasis on local co op and the evolution of their biggest franchises, along with the usual Nintendo quirkiness feels the most Nintendoughy

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The 3DS is a good shout. It encapsulates both the best and worst of Nintendo, whist having access to a lot of Nintendo's best games- all DS & 3DS games, NES, SNES & GB on Virtual Console, the ability to play all mainline Pokemon games up until LGP/E, carries over some of the best features of Nintendo's most popular system and yet is distinct from it through the use of 3D and its various revisions. It was successful but not super successful and it had functionalities with amiibo, Miiverse and Streetpass, all at least somewhat interesting and novel.

It's neat.

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
The SNES is nice and all but it genuinely was the DS that got me to take notice of Nintendo as the most interesting electronic hardware developers. The GBA, while a lovely handheld in its own right, is a pretty mundane piece of kit in comparison.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I think the OP nails it.

The Switch sure is a nice convergence of a lot on Nintendo ideas into one, also.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Definitely this little guy:
811XAP7riPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

The Gameboy was absolutely baffling. It was a severely underpowered handheld console for the time, especially compared to competitors. It could not even play with color!

It was super cheap to make, and very cheap for people to buy. It's standard "bading" jingle gave it that Nintendo charm, much like Switch *snap* as well. It's games were simple, fun, and addictive as well. This is really proof that games come before power as well. It gave developers a time to wet their feet and use older techniques, making games so much cheaper to make on this little guy. It truly had a Games first mentality. And while other handhelds did things so much better than the Gameboy, the cheap price and excellent games forever carves it's legacy, while others remain forgotten.

The Gameboy truly came out of left field, and it did really fantastic, changing gaming forever.
This is my pick. Felt like Nintendo were trying to do something new with the game link stuff.

1920px-Duo_gameboy.JPG

Nintendo-Game-Boy-Link-Cable-Dual.jpg

Nintendo-Game-Boy-4-Player-Adapter.jpg

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
The (N)3DS because it's toy-like in the best way possible and offers something no other console does: 3D will always be magical to me.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
When I think Nintendo I a lil ways have found memories of the SNES. That system for me really put Nintendo in my mind and imo exudes Nintendo. So many great games.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I would say Switch for many of the reasons listed above (combines many of their past hardware philosophies together) but it doesn't really use the "lateral thinking with withered technology" principle which the majority of their other consoles use.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say Switch for many of the reasons listed above (combines many of their past hardware philosophies together) but it doesn't really use the "lateral thinking with withered technology" principle which the majority of their other consoles use.
It actually does in that it's taking tried and tested tech and implementing it in new ways that seem cutting edge.

Aters

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
DS is too perfect, it symbolizes the best parts of Nintendo but not the bad parts. So overall I won't say it symbolizes Nintendo the best.

Switch on the other hand, has some amazing concepts and designs, but also some baffling shortcomes. It's Nintendo in a nutshell.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
640px-N64-Console-Set.jpg

This box most perfectly encapsulates Nintendo's entire gaming history to me. It represents all of the good and bad of Nintendo in one place. The focus on local multiplayer and "fun for everyone". The innovation of the analog stick and four standard controller ports. Industry leadership into 3D with some of the greatest, most fun, and most groundbreaking titles of all time (Mario 64, Ocarina, Banjo, etc.). The stuck-in-the-past failure of sticking with cartridges. The awful "unique" design of the three-handed trident controller. The loss and constant struggle to bring back third-parties, often with slightly inferior versions of their titles (e.g., Resident Evil 2). The increasing feeling that Nintendo was off "doing their own thing" while the rest of the industry fought it out in the same way they always had. A loss of dominance, marked by a honing of craft and a doubling-down on what made the company so unique, occasionally frustrating, and dependably charming.

The N64 is "Essence of Nintendo" in a bottle.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
I think the N64 encapusulates Nintendo for good and bad.

640px-N64-Console-Set.jpg

This box most perfectly encapsulates Nintendo's entire gaming history to me. It represents all of the good and bad of Nintendo in one place. The focus on local multiplayer and "fun for everyone". The innovation of the analog stick and four standard controller ports. Industry leadership into 3D with some of the greatest, most fun, and most groundbreaking titles of all time (Mario 64, Ocarina, Banjo, etc.). The stuck-in-the-past failure of sticking with cartridges. The awful "unique" design of the three-handed trident controller. The loss and constant struggle to bring back third-parties, often with slightly inferior versions of their titles (e.g., Resident Evil 2). The increasing feeling that Nintendo was off "doing their own thing" while the rest of the industry fought it out in the same way they always had. A loss of dominance, marked by a honing of craft and a doubling-down on what made the company so unique, occasionally frustrating, and dependably charming.

The N64 is "Essence of Nintendo" in a bottle.

Lmao, someone beat me almost word by word lol

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I think the Wii U symbolized Nintendo the best. A blatant attempt to be innovative by putting the control sticks above the buttons on that huge game pad while also trying to incorporate the game pad into game mechanics for some reason.

They also refused to make a normal console at a time when people were tired of gimmicks just so they could have a mechanic or two in all of their first party games that couldn't be replicated anywhere else (carrying your HD console games around on the game pad). Seems very Nintendo to hold back raw power and potential in favor of some form of innovation.