• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Dec 11, 2017
Tell me what you believe to be the MOST IMPROVED game of 2018 and give a short explanation why.

Some guidelines:
-The game does not need to have released in 2018.
-The post launch support that you believe made a huge difference does need to have been released in 2018.
-The impactful update/new content doesn't need to have been FREE. If you can explain why some paid DLC was a game changer, then go for it.
-Fan/community mods and patches don't qualify. I'm looking for official support here.

Games like Fortnite, No Man's Sky, and Star Wars Battlefront II could absolutely qualify. Heck, you might even be able to make a case for the backwards compatible Xbox 360 version of FFXIII.

I'm going to kick things off with an admittedly dark horse candidate that I think this community has largely written off:

Sea of Thieves
Release date: March 20th, 2018

Rare's "shared world adventure game" launched in a functional but very bare-bones state earlier this year. It has had 4 major content updates since launch, and a complete list of what was added can be found here. All of this content has been 100% FREE, and there isn't even a way to spend real money on anything inside the game. I've been checking in on the game after each major update and finally, with the most recent "Shrouded Spoils" update, the game finally feels like it's in the state it should have launched in. The world feels much more alive, dangerous, and dynamic. Post-launch there are now new islands to explore, new sea monsters to fight, AI ships roaming the seas, new ways to interact with other players, and the alliance system that was added has unquestionably made the game more cooperative.

Of course the game's fundamental structure hasn't changed. You aren't making your weapons more powerful. There is no deep, story-driven singleplayer campaign. You are never completely safe from other human players. If these were deal-breakers back in March, I'm here to report that these things haven't changed. It's just not that kind of game.

Bottom line: 9 months after launch, Sea of Thieves is a much more interesting and exciting game to play thanks to a series of free updates. It's in a good place now and I'm looking forward to continued free updates in 2019 and beyond.

bRfmnxB.jpg

Mitsurugi

Alt-account
Dec 11, 2018
Rainbow Six: Siege. This game is like a whole different new one since launch

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame exploration in SoT is so boring.

I mean, just add... something to collect. I go to an interesting looking island. Oh, a hidden cave! Wonder what's inside! Wow, look at this creepy skull - I would love to take it to put it on my captain's table... Of course I can't take it. This summarises my feelings while I was playing this while back. I don't need new weapons or upgrades, really.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
The honest answer is probably some indie games most here haven't played, there's some indie games that provide updates to their products long after release as they're passion projects and add and improve it more and more. Not all indie developers, but there's definitely few of these, and I follow a few games like this.

Currently I'm playing through DUSK, which got updates all through the year, but some might not count it as it was in Early Access until a few days ago. Since I follow the horror game scene, while I still have issues with it, the previous chapters of Bendy and the Ink Machine were improved a lot through 2018 as free updates which overhauled the earlier chapters. I 100% know there's been more, but I'm terrible with names and own so many games, I'd need to dig through my memory a bit.

No Man's Sky. It's an absolutely new game from what it was on release date, and lots of gameplay improvements came in 2018.

Stellaris. Several major updates rehauled the already-good-game, confirming the status of the best space 4x out there.

War Thunder. F2P combat sim added ships and helicopters to the roster of the military vehicles available to players, and supersonic aviation is scheduled to release next week.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
No Man's Sky perhaps? I've refunded my copy during launch period but all the release videos i've watched so far about their updates seems to have major improvement....all for free too.

DocSeuss

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how anyone could say it's anything other than Destiny 2. Game had good reviews but lost players incredibly fast, to the point where Activision was stressing about it in stock calls. Forsaken has addressed nearly all complaints--I wrote about this for USGamer this spring, Bungie's updates addressed almost everything I said they'd need to do--and lo and behold, the game is doing amazing now. Activision's s till not super happy, but their biggest issue is that they're not attracting new players; actual retention is really good. There's no real way for Bungie to get back to this without relying on nostalgia (import all your D1 guns! go do D1 raids!) or some massive free updates (like entire new planets and raids for free).

SneakersSO

Banned
Oct 24, 2017
North America
Destiny 2 Forsaken is the winner of this category without a shadow of a doubt.

The delta between where the game was when it launched in terms of content and activities and rewards, the DLC & support it would then go on to receive over the next 9-12 months, to what it currently is now since the Forsaken drop and the quality of the content it has continuously received since Forsaken shipped, is nothing short of miraculous.

it is hard to believe the same company that produced D2 could, 12 months later, perfect the formula in such a drastic way.

Deleted member 2172

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Its a 3 way battle between Destiny 2, No Mans Sky and Warframe.

All 3 vastly improved from where they were at in 2017... If I had to pick one I would probably go No Mans Sky though.

Oct 27, 2017
It's Destiny 2 for me. They finally made it a game worth playing for more than just the week of a new content drop. The only trouble is that this improvement was due to Destiny 2 being mediocre for a year because of some pretty bad design choices.

While I haven't been interested in the updates to No Man's Sky I will give them credit for the continued support much of which seems to have been received well.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
It's a shame exploration in SoT is so boring.

I mean, just add... something to collect. I go to an interesting looking island. Oh, a hidden cave! Wonder what's inside! Wow, look at this creepy skull - I would love to take it to put it on my captain's table... Of course I can't take it. This summarises my feelings while I was playing this while back. I don't need new weapons or upgrades, really.

While I agree that they should improve this, there are things to be found on islands. Different kinds of silverware, cursed cannonballs and messages in a bottle.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Destiny 2.

Forsaken really did turn things around, addressing a number of the base game's biggest issues while also injecting some crazy new elements that no one saw coming. I really hope other devs take ideas from Gambit and run with them, because hybrid PvE/PvP is great stuff. Also, combat bows are the best thing. (And as is traditional for Destiny, they feel amazing to fire.)

Runner-up: No Man's Sky continued to improve from last year's Atlas Rises update with an even bigger overhaul in NEXT (and then The Abyss, then Visions...), all for free. Virtually every promise they made at or before the game's initial launch is now fulfilled, along with ton of other new features.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rocket League it is for me. This year it added excellent passes, the Xbox One X update that not only increases the resolution and adds HDR but also improves the general colours and designs, there's a new progression system, new items, better trading options, even better events than usual with double XP and such. This felt like the strongest year for a game that was already amazing from launch, and I've never been more addicted to it than this year.

Oct 27, 2017
I think Gran Turismo Sport has basically added everything that reviews complained about.

Single player stuff + lots of cars and tracks.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I think Destiny 2 and No Man's Sky deserve this title. But as I both don't really play those, I'd have to go with Sea of Thieves.

Launched as a barebones game with new and divisive mechanics, the game has really improved in the last couple of months. They started with smaller updates like The Hungering Deep and Cursed Sails. Those additions added content to the game, but didn't make the game very different.

In september we got Forsaken Shores, an update that added a new area to the map and added some cool new features to the game, such as rowboats, it really made the world feel more filled.

But for me, Shrouded Spoils was the best update to date. Not because of the added content, the fog is cool but not that extensive, but because they've polished every aspect that they introduced in prior updates. The krakens, megalodons and skeleton ships give loot and spawn everywhere on the map, the mermaid statues add a nice underwater aspect to the game and the gems as loot is a great idea. The constant activity at skeleton forts made sure there is always action going on.

I'm looking forward to next year. With The Arena coming and Craig Duncan, studio head at Rare, saying that 2019 is going to be even more exciting for Sea of Thieves than 2018, I'm ready for the ride.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Splatoon 2 - they added new everything and brought a far better single player experience which was the main complain at launch.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - the game was already very good but they went full fan service with returning blades from Xenosaga and previous Xenoblade games, plus NG+, the new quests, and Torna (which removes things like the gacha system some people didn't like)

xICHIGOx

Oct 27, 2017
Gran Turismo Sport: Free DLC, tons of patch that have balanced the physics and the net code is almost perfect. The best racing online experience you can get on consoles.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Oxygen not Included and Subnautica, both were pumping out big content updates every few weeks.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Ah I thought this thread was going to be about games released in 2018 that were better than the previous entry in the series. I was going to say Insomniac's Spider-Man, which is light years ahead of Beenox's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in quality.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
which is light years ahead of Beenox's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in quality.
That's kind of a low bar, still. TASM had decent mechanics and overall it was just decent. But it had the sense that Beenox had no vision for it and the story seemed babbling and confused about itself.

It was a very low bar IMO and Spiderman PS4 you can see as an improvement on it, but to me it's a downgrade from Spiderman 2 at the same time just in its swinging system. Overall it's the best amalgamation of other Spiderman games and superhero games though. They have a ways to go if they wanna make it the masterpiece series that the Arkham games were IMO other than in how they are capable of presenting a story with great production values.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ah I thought this thread was going to be about games released in 2018 that were better than the previous entry in the series. I was going to say Insomniac's Spider-Man, which is light years ahead of Beenox's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 in quality.

We live in a world with ongoing games now, more than ever.. :P

Now I'm saying this, I was checking out the release dates of the biggest Twitch titles. It's quite astonishing.

1. Fortnite 2017
2. League of Legends 2009
3. PUBG 2017
4. Hearthstone 2014
5. Dota 2 2013
6. IRL
7. Overwatch 2016
8. Counter Strike: Go 2012
9. World of Warcraft 2004
10. GTA V 2013

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
NEXT
Abyss
Visions

It's No Man's Sky. I was looking back at my 2+ years of screenshots and it's absolutely incredible game how far that game has come just visually, nevermind all the QoL, gameplay, economy improvements and added content. The game has gone from a flawed gem to a straight up gem.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

The delta between where the game was when it launched in terms of content and activities and rewards, the DLC & support it would then go on to receive over the next 9-12 months, to what it currently is now since the Forsaken drop and the quality of the content it has continuously received since Forsaken shipped, is nothing short of miraculous.

it is hard to believe the same company that produced D2 could, 12 months later, perfect the formula in such a drastic way.
I can't wait for Destiny 3 to be the most improved game of 20XX.

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018

It's the same as the step between Destiny 1 and the Taken King though. They were poles apart in their quality, i hated Vanilla Destiny but played close to a thousand hours in once Taken King came out. But i guess that's the swing of these games, you just don't know how well it will work until players get into it.

Nov 18, 2017
Fortnite has come a long way.

No Man's Sky must surely be the most improved - I've not played it yet but the updates sound incredible. Game is basically it's own sequel.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with all of these but let's not forgot Path of Exile every "league/Expansion " they game got better added more content, and when it didn't always work Beast league they tweaked it till it did. Now with 3.5 all the systems work so well together. Plus the ascendancy reworks and now the master reworks which were some of the major complaints about the game. 3.6 and especially 4.0 is gonna be fucking nuts

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Destiny 2 forsaken is that game.

Aside from the light level grind, the content was great. Great Raid, great weekly missions, great shattered throne mini dungeon, and some pretty decent exotics.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely Destiny 2. Fortnite, to me, is a worse game than it was in 2017 because its simplicity is what made it great and it's moved away from that. There are too many bells and whistles now imho.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
GT Sport for me. Tons of new content has come out in a consistent basis for the game which is such a surprise considering this is Polyphony we are talking about. On top of that it's all been free.

Also the GT Sport tournament they had was top notch as well.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
It really can't be anything other than Destiny 2. Destiny 2's first 8-10 months were without question, the lowest point in the franchise. Not only did they rebound from that, it is arguably at the best point in the franchise.

Kenjovani

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Fortnite. What a big change graphically and gameplay wise with all the addition of continuous new weapons and items. Epic is doing a great job.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
From the outside no man's sky. Maybe I look in the wrong places but I think the insanely high toxicity around that game has gone down. Now time is of course a factor but I also think the constant improvements are part of it?

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Easily No Man's Sky for me.
The latest updates made it almost into a whole new game, and the mix of bases, fleet management and under water exoration is pretty great nowadays.
Also not really into mp, but that is also a long awaited update.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
Fortnite has come a long way.

No Man's Sky must surely be the most improved - I've not played it yet but the updates sound incredible. Game is basically it's own sequel.
No Man's Sky's most significant upgrades didn't come out this year and 2018's graphical overhaul caused the visual variety to fall far behind what the game had at launch. I don't think people would be pleased if that were any kind of sequel.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
It really can't be anything other than Destiny 2. Destiny 2's first 8-10 months were without question, the lowest point in the franchise. Not only did they rebound from that, it is arguably at the best point in the franchise.

What's different about it? I played the campaign at launch and then uninstalled. If I reinstall will it be more fun?