• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Most iconic character from 2010-2019

• Sans (Undertale)

Votes: 242 17.0%
  • Jonesy (Fortnite)

Votes: 53 3.7%
  • Dovahkiin (Skyrim)

Votes: 107 7.5%
  • Joel (Last of Us)

Votes: 304 21.3%
  • Isabelle (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Votes: 499 35.0%
  • Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Votes: 79 5.5%
  • Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

Votes: 141 9.9%

• Total voters

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd honestly wager Freddy Fazbear is most iconic (if by that we mean popular) because of all YouTube videos on those games.

If it's a personal opinion you want, for me it's Joel.

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
This is a tough question. I don't really think there is one "set" iconic character for everyone because of how diverse video games are.

For young(er) people, Sans or Minecraft Steve

For teens/older people, Ellie or Solaire

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think some of you are GREATLY over estimating Undertale's reach outside of communities like this.

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
I hardly know most of this list. To me, iconic means, everyone and their mom can start least recognize the character. I'm talking, Mario, Sonic, Pikachu, Mickey Mouse, Ninja Turtles. You really think a non gamer is gonna look at a bearded guy in a plaid shirt with a shotgun and go, yup- that's Joel! I didn't even know who Sans was.

Jun 18, 2020

www.youtube.com

Kenny Omega Entrance as SANS from Undertale (Re-Upload)

DETERMINATION & Epic Entrance Watch AEW Every Wednesday Night @ 7pm CT / 8pm ET on TNT (Video From Mr BN King's Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Emotional ratings and skin conductance response to visual, auditory and haptic stimuli

The human emotional reactions to stimuli delivered by different sensory modalities is a topic of interest for many disciplines, from Human-Computer-Interaction to cognitive sciences. Different databases of stimuli eliciting emotional reaction are available, ...

It's a bit more popular than you might have thought, methinks.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
There are good arguments to be made for most of the options in the poll but it sure as hell isn't Joel. He's a bearded white dude in a green shirt.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017

www.youtube.com

Kenny Omega Entrance as SANS from Undertale (Re-Upload)

DETERMINATION & Epic Entrance Watch AEW Every Wednesday Night @ 7pm CT / 8pm ET on TNT (Video From Mr BN King's Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb...

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Emotional ratings and skin conductance response to visual, auditory and haptic stimuli

The human emotional reactions to stimuli delivered by different sensory modalities is a topic of interest for many disciplines, from Human-Computer-Interaction to cognitive sciences. Different databases of stimuli eliciting emotional reaction are available, ...

It's a bit more popular than you might have thought, methinks.

Man, Undertale music is so good

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
If I had to choose I'd select Isabelle because I believe even non gamers might recognize her from Twitter memes.

FNAF Bear, sure I'll give that a pass too because they sell children's beach towels at Walmart, but even that isn't necessarily "iconic" on its own because it's just a parody of Chuck E Cheese animatronic characters of the 80s/90s.

I googled Sans, and it's like a Skeleton in a hoodie in 16bit Earthbound style. If it's a silly skeleton in a hoodie, how different is that from a grim reaper, like in Let It Die? Or the tattoo-ready, universally recognizable, Misfits logo?

I see toys of Fortnite, again at retail stores but I've got no idea who is the lead character. I see a man with a tomato head, various other characters. No idea.

Skyrim, not sure honestly.

Bayonetta - getting warmer, certainly a recognizable and unique character design. I still don't think non gamers would know who that is.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
As a property TLoU is entirely about Ellie. There are four pieces of media about it (American Dreams, TLoU, Left Behind and Part II) and all of them revolve around her. It's literally her story.
giphy.webp

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the character from Animal Crossing since that's a game everyone plays, not just forum/reddit dwelling gamers.

You really should change Joel with Ellie. She'd be second. Y'all crazy to think Undertale has the same kind of reach Nintendo and Sony exclusive characters have.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
All these Joel (or write-in Ellie) votes lol. I'm getting flashbacks to a thread on GAF years ago where someone thought Parappa the Rapper was more recognizable worldwide than Donald Duck or some shit like that.

plateaux

Oct 27, 2017
New England
All these Joel (or write-in Ellie) votes lol. I'm getting flashbacks to a thread on GAF years ago where someone thought Parappa the Rapper was more recognizable worldwide than Donald Duck or some shit like that.

Thats what I'm saying, these selections are so far up our collective gamer asses that even I, a 34 year old dude with a massive gaming history and collection, does not know much about a good half of the list. That's not the definition of iconic.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Oof, rough decade for memorable characters IMO, haha.

I'd actually say the Five Nights at Freddie's one, I've seen that in a lot of places, including a kids painting class at a mall near me.

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
I mean tlou1 has over 20 mill sales, part 2 already on its way to 10+ mill in a few months.
And Animal Crossing NH sold almost 12 million in 11 days on top of having wider appeal. I'm just saying if you think these relatively generic, regular looking people, recognizable as they may be to hardcore video game fans, are more iconic than Isabelle, or the FNaF bear, or Minecraft Steve, or whatever, you're not taking the popularity outside of ERA's bubble in to account.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Everyone not picking Jonesy in the poll is kidding themselves
Nothing on there comes close to the wide appeal of Fortnite

D. Va or some other Overwatch character might beat Jonesy worldwide

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017

Id wager a lot of people playing Fortnite don't know nor care what a Jonesey is. I played the game enough and had no idea until people started joke suggesting him for Smash Bros. More one of the default avatars for Battle Royale than a "character" of any kind.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shouldnt Ellie be more iconic than Joel? After TLOU2 I associate the franchise more with her, specially since her design stands out more than Joel

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
isabelle

undertale was hot for a while but has gone cold. everyone else on that list is forgettable.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Kids who aren't even born yet will be playing Isabelle's future games by the millions, decades from now, not to mention people who are playing her current game now and played her last game 7 years ago.

She's the face of a franchise that has lasted two decades so far and is built to last many decades to come. None of the other franchises are likely to even be around or anywhere near as big by the time her next game is released except Elder Scrolls, which will be in a totally new form anyway.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Nothing on there comes close to the wide appeal of Fortnite

D. Va or some other Overwatch character might beat Jonesy worldwide

The question is not the most iconic game, most people that play Fortnite don't know/care about Jonesy.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
From a general populace perspective, I vote Freddy Fazbear. The series isn't as popular as it once was but I can't image he isn't instantly recognizable to many a gen z and younger millenials.

Snake__

Jan 8, 2020
Id wager a lot of people playing Fortnite don't know nor care what a Jonesey is. I played the game enough and had no idea until people started joke suggesting him for Smash Bros. More one of the default avatars for Battle Royale than a "character" of any kind.
The question is not the most iconic game, most people that play Fortnite don't know/care about Jonesy.

Jonesy has a name and absolutely no other defining characteristics, but is a mascot representative for the largest video game property in the world

Sounds a lot like Mario to me

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
If this thread is any indication, it has been a rough decade for iconic characters. Maybe, just, maybe there were no iconic characters created over the past decade.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Freddy from FNAF. That shit is everywhere and extremely popular with kids. Y'all are delusional if you think it's a Last of Us character.