• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Most iconic character from 2010-2019

• Sans (Undertale)

Votes: 242 17.0%
  • Jonesy (Fortnite)

Votes: 53 3.7%
  • Dovahkiin (Skyrim)

Votes: 107 7.5%
  • Joel (Last of Us)

Votes: 304 21.3%
  • Isabelle (Animal Crossing: New Leaf)

Votes: 499 35.0%
  • Freddy Fazbear (Five Nights at Freddy's)

Votes: 79 5.5%
  • Bayonetta (Bayonetta)

Votes: 141 9.9%

• Total voters

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I imagine it's Isabelle unless Sans/Freddy/Fortnite person are so well known with younger generations that it balances out us oldies not really knowing them.

I do imagine in the specifcness of gaming as a subculture, Skyrim is probably the most unifying of those games listed.

Oct 29, 2017
ERA is the kind of place that would vote for Walter White as the most iconic TV character of the decade, but refuse to vote for Sheldon Cooper out of principle.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
I think any character that is very grounded like Joel/Ellie, Arthur or the GTAV protags(in design) faces an uphill battle

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Oh good one of these threads, always good laugh to see how disconnected people are from mainstream gaming.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Gonna need an explanation of what specifically is meant by "iconic" here. Because there's a lot of ways to interpret that, and they'd yield extremely different answers.

Jachaos

Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking Isabelle, Sans or Ellie coming into this thread, glad all three are there as choices. Animal Crossing New Horizons has already easily surpassed 15 million copies so I would think that's the best known character by worldwide population in general.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
God ResetEra users really live in a bubble..
I don't browse social media for memes, and my circle probably skews way too old in their personal interests.

That's my excuse.

I've never seen a Sans meme in my life, but when these "which is more popular" threads pop up, it's like the first post every time.

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Sans or Fortnite guy I think, Isabelle is up there too, but there is a lot of people who don't recognize her to be "iconic" yet.

ShyMel

Oct 31, 2017
Really ?
I bought the PSVR game because of the good scores and ERA users recommendations but I had no idea what was about it.
Anyway the game is really fun...and scary and tense lol
The series has been heavily marketed to children from toys to clothes, bed sheets, and more. I am sure Markiplier, GameTheory, and many more YouTubers could live off of the earnings they get from people watching their Let's Plays and FNAF theory videos.

Ctalkeb

Apr 12, 2020
Depends on what you mean by iconic, I guess, but: Soliare, Knack and 2B.

...Aid & Pears, from Wazzap, dog

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on what you mean by iconic.

If we're talking about general popularity, it's Freddie Fazbear 100%.

Fortnite is bigger but you can see that the merchandise for the game is not all about Jonesy, nor is he really the face of the game.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
To me iconic means the most recognizable one if you were to ask random people on the street, so with that in mind it's Isabelle. Then possibly Freddy. I don't think most of the rest even rate consideration.

Bonfires Down

Nov 2, 2017
I was going to say Tracer or Isabelle but clearly Freddy and Sans are more popular online at least.

n7WohOa.png

Duty

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you mean by iconic.

If we're talking about general popularity, it's Freddie Fazbear 100%.

Fortnite is bigger but you can see that the merchandise for the game is not all about Jonesy, nor is he really the face of the game.

Yes, but his face is literally in the app icon. What more iconic than that? :P
Same for Minecraft guy to be the most "iconic" character for the franchise.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
While this is entirely debatable, I consider "iconic-ness" to be measured by how many people can name a character, not just have mild familiarity. It implies a certain amount of investment. It's what differentiates "iconic" from "recognizable" in my mind.
There's enough Jonesy skins in Fortnite that kids will know his name. Even still, not knowing his name doesn't make the character not iconic. If anything, the fact that he's a character in a game full of zero character development (to the point that most characters don't even have names) makes the fact that he's immediately identifiable as "the guy from Fortnite" is even more impressive to me.
Freddy Fazbear. FNAF is HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE. The Era bubble just doesn't understand.
Yeah, it's Jonesy or Freddy. I would call characters like Joel and Sans memorable, but not "the most iconic". Isabelle might be an icon within the Animal Crossing fandom, but even with that being one of Nintendo's most profitable franchises, it's still nowhere near FNAF or Fortnite in terms of popularity. Era really does not consider just how ludicrously popular those two series are.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trevor from GTAV seems like the no-brainer pick. He's the star of a game that has regularly topped the best-seller charts for nearly 7 years now.

Freddy Fazbear seems like just as good of a pick though.
Oh good one of these threads, always good laugh to see how disconnected people are from mainstream gaming.
Dark Souls and Undertale are cool, but I'm pretty astounded how people seem to think they have broad appeal outside of a particular niche.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Probably Isabelle. I'd say Animal Crossing is more recognizable to mainstream audiences than Undertale, and she is also in Smash.

Jun 18, 2020
It's Sans and Isabelle. Freddy is also up there too, it appears. Remember folks, this isn't about the quality of the character in regards to being iconic, just purely public recognition. Someone posted a single note of Megalovania earlier, and most Zoomers/early Millennials would immediately recognize it. A single note. If not that, then at least the first 4, for sure.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
Undertale are cool, but I'm pretty astounded how people seem to think they have broad appeal outside of a particular niche.

When you have a wrestler dress up as him I don't think you can claim it's niche anymore. Undertale was/is really popular among kids/teens, even if they hadn't played it.

Dark Souls ya, it doesn't have a widely iconic character even if you could claim the game was iconic.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
It's SANS baby. No one else is fit to wear his ICONIC pink slippers.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
In internet culture, it's probably Sans.

To a general audience, I have no fuckin' idea. A lot of the biggest games now don't really have a central character to focus around and even the ones that do (GTAV for example), they're not going there for the characters either.